Good Enough

I Know You

You heard the shower stop running and you suddenly became hyperaware, imagining what he must look like, his smooth skin gleaming as beads of water continued to trail down his toned and defined lines, trickling down to his solid abs and down his faint v-line. His hair must be slicked to his forehead or ever so slightly disheveled. You bit your lip and smiled to yourself, trying to focus back on the music beat game you had been obsessed with  only moments before, yet, to no avail. You put down your phone and tried your best not to twiddle your thumbs, not to seem desperate, not that he could see you.

“Nena~” he chimed, causing your heart to skip a beat and your motor functions to momentarily falter as you sprung to your feet.

“What is it~” you queried as you made your way to your bedroom. You opened the door and froze, stunned.

“What’s this~?” he inquired innocently, a soft smile curling his lips as he held up the invitation to the museum curiously though his body was anything but innocent. At least your imagination was correct.

“Sh-Shinwoo,” you stuttered, trying your best to avert your gaze and do anything but look down.

“What is it? Is it an invitation? Can I go? Am I even good enough to-“ he rambled excitedly, his eyes twinkling.

“Shinwoo! You’re !” you screeched, cheeks flushing red as you couldn’t tell if you were more embarrassed from staring or if you felt bad for yelling and killing his excitement. He shyly looked down before fumbling for the clothes you had laid out for him, futilely trying to cover himself.

“Ah- ah, I’m sorry. There weren’t any towels in the bathroom and so I wanted to kinda air dry out here before getting dressed and then I saw this cool letter thing and-“

“J-just put some clothes on! You’re giving me a heart attack!” you ordered, clutching at your racing heart before finally turning around.

“B-but what about the letter?” he asked, voice lowering in shame as he shuffled to the bathroom. You sighed, the most you could do with your heart beating out of your chest as it was.

“We-we can talk about it later. Just please, get dressed,” you nearly pleaded before heading back to the living room, your mind fogged. You slumped on the couch and pinched the bridge of your nose before lightly slapping your cheeks, trying anything to help you wake up from what must be a dream. Did you really catch a familiar stranger , in your room, with the gummy smile of a child but the body of a demigod? Was said individual currently running through your mind at a million miles an hour, the entire scene on repeat teasing you? Were you conflicted on whether to walk back in there and give this individual a chaste hug or a lustful kiss?

“H-hey, Nena,” he began softly, his voice nearly a whisper as he timidly poked his head from around the corner into the living room. You looked up at him and your eyes immediately softened. What was there to be mad about? There was plenty to be lustful over, but mad, no and how could you be mad when he looked this adorable, this inviting. You only hummed, not sure what to say in case your tongue spewed your sordid thoughts. “I-I’m really sorry to have scared you like that,” he muttered as he shifted into the living room and politely took a seat next to you. You chuckled. Yes, he had nearly given you a heart attack but here he was apologizing. “I don’t want you to think I’m that kind of person. I just got so excited and-“

“Shinwoo, you offered yourself to me the first night I met you and instead, we just ended up talking about life and if each other was ok despite not even knowing each other,” you recalled. “I could never think you would do that on purpose. You’re not smooth enough for that. You’re a dork,” you quipped, placing your hand on his thigh.

“I did, didn’t I? At first, I thought you just didn’t want me and now I see that you’re just a decent human being like I’ve thought all along,” he smirked contently.

“Were you expecting some thot then?” you asked, feigning offense as you clutched your chest in false disbelief.

“No and I wouldn’t want you to be. You’re perfect just the way you are. I’m sorry again for scaring you.”

“You act like you’re some kind of monster or something. You’re just an idiot,” you chuckled, shaking your head halfheartedly. “Don’t worry, it was kind of cute.”

“If it was so cute, why were you looking down so much?” he smirked, raising an eyebrow, as he playfully nudged you.

“It’s not even like that now hush before I smack that smirk off your face,” you scoffed, rolling your eyes and crossing your arms.

“Or you could just kiss it off,” he suggested, his lips.

“What am I supposed to do with you?” you groaned.

“Well, you could take me to whatever that invitation is for. I would make a fine piece of eye candy, don’t you think?” he proposed slickly.

“How do you know that was an invitation?”

“Lenena, I’m no genius, but I can read. So, how ‘bout it. What’s it for anyway? Do you have the hookups?” he queried.

“I’m… actually not sure why I got invited. I do have this friend that I got to meet a few weeks back. She’s actually a really famous photographer, but I didn’t think I was that important to get invited to something like this. I’m actually kind of flattered,” you explained weakly.

“Ah, it must be so nice to be on the outside,” he sighed wistfully before quickly shooting a soft smile that hid all that he felt and couldn’t say.

“Shinwoo, don’t worry about it. You’re on the outside now and trust me, you’re not missing a whole lot. Life out here gets kind of boring.”

“I’d rather live a boring life than what I’m in now. Plus, every second that I’m not with you is an eternity passing me by that I can never get back.”

“Shinwoo,” you began, you voice compassionate. He hummed, his eyes cast to the dark brown carpet.

“Would you like to go to this grand opening event with me?”

“A-am I good enough?” he asked timidly, looking down at himself, studying his calloused hands and his broad physique. While he could joke about it endlessly, he never thought he was anyone’s first choice for he thought his nose was too big, his eyes too small, his height too disappointing. He looked up at you to read your emotions but you were more than happy to make it easy for him as your smile was soft, your eyes innocently yearning. He was perfect and you wanted him to know that.

“Of course, you are! We just have to get you into the right kind of clothes because I don’t think you have a five-piece suit in your bags, do you?” you exclaimed assuredly, rushing to grab him by the arm and almost out the door before you realized neither of you had shoes on.

“I know you’re excited and all, but as tough as the army is, at least they let us have shoes when we run somewhere,” he jested, stopping in his tracks, making you halt suddenly to notice your mistake. You groaned as he ruffled your hair before you both sat down to put on some shoes. “Hey, Nena?” You huffed, upset that you had made such a fool of yourself. “You’re really cute when you’re excited,” he chuckled, rising to his feet first and giving you a kiss on your forehead before helping you up. You pouted though you knew you couldn’t hide the faint smile that was curling your lips.

“Let’s go already~” you insisted. He handed you his arm, ready to be dragged away. You blushed, but nonetheless grabbed for his hand and whisked him out the door.

 

“Are you really sure I should come in a suit? I don’t have the money for that and I don’t want you paying for that. Can’t I wear something else?” he inquired cautiously as you waltzed across the department store floor, picking at this shirt and running your hands over these slacks, deep in thought about what would suit him best. He was broad and muscular, so you wanted something tight to show off his muscles, but nothing too constricting where he couldn’t keep up with you if need be. His hair was a dark chestnut brown and you imagined him making a grand entrance in a dark blue suit with a white top and a chocolate brown tie. “Nena~ Are you even listening? I can’t afford this,” he repeated, raising his voice slightly only to feel ashamed that he couldn’t provide for himself nor you.

“Don’t worry about it. I just got paid and I’ve already paid up all my bills. I want to do this,” you guaranteed with a bright smile. “Oh! What about this one? And it’s on sale if it makes you feel any better,” you suggested, whipping out a three-piece suit in the most stunning shade of cream. You smirked as he reluctantly grabbed it from you and placed it against his body only to appreciate it and admire himself in the mirror, imagining how amazing he would look in it and how confident he would be with you by his side.

“I mean, it does look kind of nice…” he trailed off.

“Right? And it’s not even that expensive! Less than 100$. I can definitely afford that~ and it’ll just be so nice to go with you,” you grinned enthusiastically, eyes twinkling with flashes of fantasy and whimsy.

“But what if I don’t wear it any longer? You know I can’t take this back to the base with me, right?” he countered, the only one willing to think about reality despite the magical moment.

“Well, you can always keep it for when we get marrie-“ you started, immediately covering your mouth as soon as you realized what you were saying, but the damage had been done. Your fantasies had invaded the real world, he had a smug look on his face as he raised an eyebrow and you thought your heart would explode on its next beat.

“So, you’d be down to be an army wife?” he chuckled, pushing his tongue to his cheek as he continued to stare you down.

“I-I wouldn’t be against it,” you muttered, trying to find anywhere else to look but his deep brown eyes to no avail.

“That’s-that’s cute,” he admitted, unsure what else to say as his own heart threatened to pound out of his chest.

“An-anyway! So what about it? You can always keep it here and whenever you come to visit, if you feel like being a big shot, you can put it on. I’ll keep it nice and safe for you,” you deflected.

“You better or else we’re just going to have to buy another suit for our wedding. That would be such a waste,” he teased, grabbing your hand and walking towards the counter. “Don’t worry, princess. When the time comes, I’ll buy your wedding dress. It’ll be a fair deal, but for now, at least let me take you out to coffee or something to show you just how much I appreciate you,” he insisted.

“Alright, it’s a deal, but no more teasing me today!” you pouted as you mindlessly handed the cashier the suit and brought out your wallet.

“You know I’m just kidding, plus I really like it. I wasn’t lying when I said you were really cute when you get excited. Consider this one of those times,” he assured you.

“Whatever~ You’re not gonna get another moment like that out of me for a long time,” you droned, rolling your eyes before sheepishly thanking the cashier and grabbing the bag.

“But you’re cute all the time.” You stopped and pouted, trying to fight back the blush that was threatening to creep across your cheeks. How dare he be this sweet, this understanding, this kind to you despite a mistake like this. This was most definitely worse than the time you accidentally stated your partner in Korean class was inside you rather than beside you, yet he did not meet with you a stone-cold face or a grimace but rather a soft smile and a shower of compliments.

 

 

 

“So, what do you want, princess?” he chimed as he led you into your favorite boba spot. You silently cheered to yourself that the music wasn’t blaring and there were only a few souls contrary to how busy it usually was. Here, you could just talk and enjoy his company without the usual throbbing headache and shouting.

“I was thinking the coffee float half sweet if that’s ok,” you asked, not sure why you were being so timid considering you had suggested and received a subtle confirmation to get married.

“Of course! Hmm, I think I’ll just be a basic and go for the milk tea,” he announced proudly before the line moved and he met with the cashier. He politely and accurately recited the order before thanking him and finding a seat for the two of you. It was only a few minutes before your drinks were called and he graciously got up to get them, not allowing you to move an inch. It wasn’t much, but he was going to pamper you any way he knew how. An hour must have passed by as you slowly sipped on your drinks and simply basked in each other’s presence, the silence not stifling, but inviting as you stared at each other and exchanged soft smiles and jokes.

“Oh my god, Lenena??” a familiar voice startled you out of your romantic trance. You jerked your head up to see her, the goddess you were so undeserving of—Amber. “How are you~” she chimed, taking the liberty to bend down and give you a hug. “I see you have a friend,” she observed, sneering almost unnoticeably at the last word as she shot a brief but piercing stare at Shinwoo.

“Oh, hi, my name is Shin-“ he started, standing to offer her his hand to shake.

“So, you are coming to the grand opening, right?” she reminded you expectantly.

“Of course, wouldn’t miss it for the world. I’m just so flattered that you would even think me important enough for an invite. Thank you so much!” you gushed, fanning yourself slightly, much to Shinwoo’s confusion.

“I’m so glad to hear that! Of course, you’re that important. You and I just click and you’re so down to earth. I can’t wait to see you there! What will you be wearing?” she asked nonchalantly, doing anything she could to keep Shinwoo from butting in.

“I-I’m not sure yet. I hope you don’t expect too much and I hope I don’t make you look bad, but I don’t have anything fancy in my closet, well at least not for something like this You must excuse me.”

“O, don’t worry about it! I’m sure you’ll look stunning! Hell, I’ll be in my favorite leather jacket and some skinny jeans, probably so don’t sweat it. Just show up! I’ll have a surprise for you anyway~” she chimed.

“A surprise? For me? You really don’t have to do all that,” you urged, sure that your face was entirely red and your heart and brain had stopped working.

“I do it because I want to. Don’t worry about it, but o, I do have to bounce. I’m on lunch from a meeting and I was really craving some boba. Gotta order and I’ll see you later, alright?” she enjoined abruptly before rushing to the counter and placing her order. She looked back at you and grinned as she waited for her order. Once she got it, she shot you a wink and with that, she was gone.

“Wh-what was that about?” Shinwoo asked, baffled and slightly offended that he hadn’t been able to squeeze in a word, let alone get your attention.

“That’s the friend that invited me to the gallery. She’s a big-time photographer and artist and I just love her,” you admitted excitedly, much to his silent dismay.

“She seems… really out of my league. Are you sure that I should come with? It might be better if I don’t,” he mumbled, averting his gaze as you continued to nearly bounce in your seat.

“Of course, you should go! She seems a little harsh, but I’m sure she’ll love you. I can’t wait to introduce you two,” you heartened obliviously.

“Alright, if you say so, I just don’t want to get in the way,” he explained.

“You won’t, you won’t. , what do I wear?!” you nearly shrieked, jumping out of your seat.

“Honey, relax. We have plenty of time to figure this out. Let’s just go home and think it out, maybe take a nap while we’re at it. You’re all worked up.”

“Of course I’m worked up! That’s Amber freaking Liu and she not only invited me to her grand opening, but also asked what I’m wearing? I have to look nice as ,” you elaborated feverishly. He sighed, stood, and grabbed your arm before shooting you a gentle but slightly disappointed and hurt look. Just like that, you were forgetting him. Just like that, he knew how transient he was.

“I-I’m sorry, I’m just so excited to go. It just feels like I’m finally a somebody and like she said, we really do get along so well. I just… I just let my nervous energy get the best of me. I’m sorry, I’m being rude and disrespectful. I really did like this little date of ours. It’s just… I’m somebody,” you mumbled.

“You’ve always been somebody,” he whispered, giving you a kiss on the cheek before escorting you out.

It was true. To yourself, this was the first time that you had ever felt important, appreciated, accepted and with a high-profile person like Amber on one side and a caring, loyal Shinwoo on the other, you couldn’t distinguish who was doing what to you, making you feel what. To Amber, you were a nostalgic toy, something she could revisit again and again so she could get the original high of playing for the first time. Yet, to Shinwoo, you were always somebody, the somebody that he thought he could trust and love despite miles, years of separation. Amber had everything, you had something, but Shinwoo only had you and he would do anything to keep you. He didn’t have a name to lose, but he had everything to gain just by being with you. He would stand against anyone, even Amber, your insecurities, anything to make you know how much you meant, how good you were, and who you could be.