Three

Surname, Please.

It has been three days since Donghyuck's soulmate mark randomly disappearing and honestly, he hasn't stopped over thinking ever since. He can't help but to think that something bad happened to whoever he's destined to. 

 

 

 

"Did the soulmate god suddenly changed his mind and thought 'oh wait, let's remove Donghyuck's mark! I suddenly don't want him to have a soulmate anymore!'?" He asks out of the blue. 

 

 

 

His friends all looked at him, tired of seeing their dear friend moping around. He hasn't been his usual self lately. This soulmate thingy really affected him and although he tries not to think too much about it, he can't help but wonder what the happened to his mark. He doesn't recall his Johnny hyung and Jisung mentioning something about their marks disappear all of a sudden. 

 

 

Jaemin sighs, he can't bear to watch this stupidity in front of him. "That's it! I'm done!"

 

 

Renjun looks at him worriedly, "hey, let him figure it out." He then smiles to Donghyuck and gives him a reassuring smile, "don't mind Jaemin, he's being crazy again."

 

 

Donghyuck raises his brow, looking at his friends strangely. His friends are acting weird again. It's not like they're normal but they're being weirdly /weird/ for some reason. 

 

 

It started that day when Donghyuck complained to them about him still not meeting his goddamn soulmate. He feels like these three are up to something and usually, whenever those three team up, it doesn't result to good situations. 

 

 

"What do I need to figure out?" Donghyuck asks, puzzled. He's really confused. What are his friends talking about? 

 

 

"I told you, you can have a huge board reading 'Mark Lee and Lee Donghyuck are soulmates!' and they both still wouldn't get it. " Jaemin states. His hand flies up to Donghyuck's shoulders and shakes his poor friend. "Do you finally get what we're trying to say?"

 

 

 

"Uhm, first of all, stop shaking me. Second, what are you talking about? Mark? My soulmate? Stop joking me."

 

 

He hears Jaemin sigh very loudly, turning to Renjun and said something that Donghyuck wasn't able to hear because there's something he suddenly remembered. 

 

 

/"What if you're actually my soulmate?"/

 

 

/"What if you're actually my soulmate?"/

 

 

/"What if you're actually my soulmate?"/

 

 

Now that he remembers what Mark told him the last time, it makes his heart flutter. He wasn't able to think about it because he has just lost his mark, and he was too sad and upset that he literally forgot about it. 

 

 

What made Mark think that? 

 

 

He looks at his wrist again, seeing nothing on where his soulmate mark used to be. He wonders if Mark lost his too. 

 

 

"Hey," Jeno turns to the two. "Why don't we give Hyuck some time and space to think about it? I'm sure he'll start to figure it out soon." Jeno smiles at him and mutters a 'good luck' before heading out to his own room.

 

 

Jaemin rubs his back, "I'll be here if you're still confused, I'm willing to give you a heads up, okay?" 

 

 

Renjun was the last to exit his room, he held Donghyuck's hand in his and squeezed it, one of Renjun's ways to assure him whenever he feels that the younger is upset or generally, not feeling well. 

 

 

"If I were you, I'd get to know Mark more, find out what he's into, what he likes and just, random infos about him. I know that sounds creepy but I can definitely assure you it's going to be worth it."

 

 

He hears Jaemin shout a 'fighting, Hyuck!' before Renjun closed the door to his room. 

 

 

He smiles, he's really thankful for his friends because if they weren't there, Donghyuck's sure he'd be twice as stressed than he is now. 

 

 

Sitting alone in his bed, Donghyuck grabs his journal and quickly flicks through the pages to go to his last journal entry. It was written four days ago, a day before his mark disappeared. There's still a feeling of sadness whenever he remembers that he lost his mark, but he guesses he'd just have to deal with it momentarily. 

 

 

/ 10.23.18. Journal #15

 

 

My dreams are becoming clearer but as they get clearer, they become more confusing. I feel like I'm building a puzzle with unmatched pieces. 

 

 

There's the guy, again, of course. His back is still facing me, nothing new but at least he's strumming something in his guitar while humming with it. I can't really determine what song he's humming to but for some reason my heart feels really happy hearing him play the guitar?? Is that weird?? 

 

 

Oh! I also remembered the guy wearing a green hoodie! 

 

 

When can I meet him tho >.<

 

 

/Donghyuck/

 

 

He scans through the pages again, reading some of his journal entries. 

 

 

/9.30.18 Journal #12 

 

 

What the did I just dreamt of. 

 

 

Okay so I dreamt of burnt food???? Literally wtf??? I'm really amused haha, if my soulmate ends up not knowing how to cook then I'd definitely teach him!! 

 

 

That was such a weird dream lol. 

 

 

/Donghyuck/

 

 

/9.12.18 Journal #10

 

 

Scattered papers. Broken pencil. Messy handwriting. Cup of milk. The sound of someone's laughter. 

 

 

Yep, that's what my dream has in store for me today.  

 

 

I don't really get my dreams. All that I know is my soulmate is probably someone who likes writing?? Maybe he's into poetry or like, lyric writing. Ohhh maybe he's also into music?? 

 

 

/Donghyuck/

 

 

Donghyuck closes the notebook. He's starting to picture Mark as his soulmate in his mind and it makes him feel a bit weird.

 

 

What if Mark's not his soulmate? 

 

 

And besides, he has yet to prove his friends' theory, but as long as he hasn't proved that Mark is his soulmate, he wouldn't get his hopes high. 

 

 

Besides, it doesn't hurt to try, right? 

 

 

~

 

 

Donghyuck woke up to the smell of something burning and it instantly makes him stand up from his position in bed in alarm. He runs outside his room, ignoring the fact that his head is dizzy from the sudden motion. 

 

 

"Jeno?" He calls out, walking to their small kitchen. "Are you trying to cook something?"

 

 

If Donghyuck hasn't just woken up, he would've laughed out loud from the sight. 

 

 

There, in the middle of their kitchen, is Mark standing a few meters away from the pan with a spatula in hand. He's looking worriedly at the questionable thing he's supposed to be 'cooking' and the look of frustration in Mark's face makes the situation more amusing to the tanned boy. 

 

 

When Mark noticed a figure standing at the entrance of their kitchen, he jumps. Like literally jumped and dropping the spatula in shock. Donghyuck takes a few steps towards him and the older closes the stove hastily. 

 

 

"Uh, good morning Hyuck," Mark smiles sheepishly. "What brings you here?" He tries to cover the stove and the burnt food with his body and it took Donghyuck a lot of effort not to giggle. 

 

 

"You don't have to hide that anymore, I kinda saw it already." He smiles, lightly tugging Mark's hoodie to pull him aside. "I woke up from the smell of burnt food, thought Jeno was trying to cook something again but it turns out it's you."

 

 

"Oh . Sorry, I didn't mean to wake you up. I just wanted to try cooking and I may or may not have wanted to cook you breakfast but like that's beside the point and yeah..sorry again, Hyuck." 

 

 

Mark pinches his arm. He almost discreetly confessed the slight feelings he has for his cousin's roommate slash his close friend. Things will turn out really awkward if he hadn't been able to stop his mouth from uttering things that should just be left unsaid. 

 

 

"Ah, no worries. I can definitely teach you how to cook at some time. For now," Donghyuck holds up the carton of milk. "Cereal?"

 

 

Mark smiles, and it makes Donghyuck's heart warm and he feels this familiar tingly sensation again when the older flashes him his /perfect, adorable, blinding, stunning, beautiful, ether-/ err, uh, he means /cute/ smile. 

 

 

They sit at the table across each other with this surprisingly calming silence. Donghyuck just gets the feeling of peace whenever he's alone with Mark, no matter what situation they're in, he feels like Mark puts his heart at ease. 

 

 

That sounds very cheesy, Donghyuck thinks. 

 

 

Mark clears his throat, "what happened to your soulmate mark? Did it finally show up again?" 

 

 

Donghyuck sighs then shakes his head, "nope."

 

 

Something tugs at Mark's heart. His heart seems to not like the fact that he may not be Donghyuck's soulmate and also because he's seeing him sad and dejected and not being able to do anything to lift his spirits up a bit. 

 

 

/Oh God./ A sudden realization fills his mind and it makes Mark play with the cereals floating on his bowl. /My feelings for him are actually serious. It's not just a simple crush anymore./

 

 

The older stares at the tanned guy in front of him, he notices the change in his aura, the downcast look in his eyes and even the way he eats become very noticeable right now. 

 

 

Soon enough, after a few talks and random moments of silence, they finish eating and cleaning up the dishes. Mark hesitates to approach Donghyuck, who is now in his way back to his own room. Mark feels and looks stupid following his roommate silently, tiptoeing behind him. 

 

 

Donghyuck turns around all of a sudden, confusion all over his face. "...What are you doing?"

 

 

"Uh.." Mark scratches his ear. "Well, uhm..do you want to hear me play the guitar?" 

 

 

God, this is the only time that he feels nervous to play the guitar. He's confident with his skills, sure. But playing it in front of the guy he likes? Probably not. 

 

 

But Mark's heart falters a bit more when he sees the smile Donghyuck gave him. It's brighter and much, much warmer than the actual sun. There's that feeling again of warmth again and it's very pleasant and nice. He just ignores the fact that he only feels that whenever he's with Donghyuck, not with anyone else and just him. 

 

 

"Sure! You should let me see your skills and I'll judge whether you're really good or not." Donghyuck wiggles his eyebrows. "I can sing for you, if you want."

 

 

The smile that Mark gave Donghyuck is as amazing as a sky full of stars, the younger feels light headed with all the thoughts going around his head right now. 

 

 

Donghyuck even wonders how it is possible for Mark to be able to look that attractive when he's just wearing his worn out green hoodie. 

 

 

Mark strums the first few notes in his acoustic guitar, his eyes involuntarily closing and a small smile appearing on his face. Playing the guitar has always relived his stress or whatever hardship he's going through, and now that he's here with Donghyuck, it adds another good memory to his mind. 

 

 

And now, with Donghyuck singing and Mark playing the guitar, there's something that builds up more just than the harmony of the two of them. 

 

 

Somewhere along the lines that Donghyuck sings, Mark is silently hoping, wishing for him to be his soulmate. Right now, he can't bear the thought of being destined to someone else when he has Lee Donghyuck by his side. Maybe he fell too fast, too hard; too deep that he's already lost in the other's eyes. 

 

 

The song finishes with the two of them smiling at each other, high fives and sweet compliments being shared between the two of them. 

 

 

What they doesn't notice though, is Mark's soulmate mark, slowly fading away from his wrist. 

 

 

~

 

 

It was only when Donghyuck was laying down in his bed, replaying all the scenes from today, when a thought popped in his head and in a second, he stood up so fast and searched frantically for his journal. 

 

 

/ 10.23.18. Journal #15

 

 

My dreams are becoming clearer but as they get clearer, they become more confusing. I feel like I'm building a puzzle with unmatched pieces. 

 

 

There's the guy, again, of course. His back is still facing me, nothing new but at least he's strumming something in his guitar while humming with it. I can't really determine what song he's humming to but for some reason my heart feels really happy hearing him play the guitar?? Is that weird?? 

 

 

Oh! I also remembered the guy wearing a green hoodie! 

 

 

When can I meet him tho >.<

 

 

/Donghyuck/

 

 

/Oh my God,/ Donghyuck's hand found its way to his chest, his heart beating abnormally fast. 

 

 

He only realizes it now. 

 

 

The guitar playing. 

 

 

The green hoodie that Mark was wearing. 

 

 

Bingo. 

 

 

~