The Unit

Timeless

“Daewon! Let’s go on this show! It’ll help boost us and we can have a chance to showcase our skills again!” I looked up from my notebook and saw Geon waving a flyer in my face. I grabbed it from him and read the details.

“The Unit, an Idol Rebooting Project. It seems interesting but I’m not sure if I want to perform anymore.” Geon scoffed and made his ‘you’re a terrible liar’ face.

“Dude, you are staying in your friend’s office that is not even fully renovated and living off of one candle just so you can be close to your favorite dancing studio. I know that you are still practicing your dancing every chance you have.” I looked away from his gaze, damn Geon can see right through me.

“For your information, I’m living off two candles and so what if I still practice, I like dancing.” Geon sat next to me and slung his arm over my shoulder.

“Look I know that everything that happened with Madtown was devasting and horrible but that doesn’t mean you should give up performing. I know how much you liked being on stage.” I sighed and closed my notebook. “Come on, where’s the guy who won dance competitions in Cheonan and strutted around like a celebrity?”

I cracked a smile and laughed. “Well, it’s not my fault my fans made me a celebrity.” Geon rolled his eyes and shook his head.

“Is that a yes then?”

“Fine, let’s do this.” Geon leaped up and cheered. He started to pack up my things. I chuckled then looked at him oddly.

“Geon, what are you doing?”

“Hurry up, we have to go practice our routine.”

 

After our audition on The Unit, I was glad that I was able to pass although I only had one boot. I was thankful for it anyway because it gave me enough motivation to improve and keep working. After our stage, I went back to the waiting room to pack up and meet up with Geon afterwards. He was standing near the backstage entrance watching something.

“What’re you doing?, let’s go.” Geon kept watching the stage and brushed me off.

“Let’s continue watching the rest of the stages, it’s not like we’re in a rush to go anywhere.” Well, I couldn’t argue with that logic. We decided to find a spot backstage where we couldn’t get in the way of those rushing around and continued to watch the show.

“Hello! We are Hot Blooded Youth!” Five men in white jumpsuits were on stage and one stood out in particular.

“Wow you in the dreadlocks, what’s your name?” Rain sunbae-nim asked him with an interested look on his face.

“My name’s Marco and I’m a rapper in my team.” Interesting name, Marco. I tried to continue to watch until I noticed a text on my phone.

“Oh shoot, I got to go Geon. I’m going to be late for my shift.” Geon turned around and waved at me goodbye.

“I’ll text you if I see some familiar faces or cool stages.” I gave him a thumbs up and left as fast as I could.

 

After waiting for a few weeks for all the auditions to end and for the competition to start, we got a call to come to KBS for the first shooting. I was scheduled to come in earlier than Geon and arrived first. We were then sent to a room and people started entering by how many boots they had received. I felt awkward when those with greater boots started to enter the room.

“Oh, those with six boots are coming out.” I let out a breath of relief, Geon would be coming out now so I won’t feel weird being by myself. Many people came out and I spotted Geon. I waved for him to come sit next to me but he was dragged by the others with six boots to sit with them. I awkwardly put my hand down and continued to look at the rest of the contestants.

“Look guy, it’s the dude with dreadlocks!” Many of people were whispering as the guy walked out. I looked with interest since I was wondering how he looked like. As he walked out, he looked around before locking eyes with me. No, I couldn’t believe it.

“Hyung-geun?”

“Daewon hyung?” We looked at each other with shock before some other guys dragged him to sit with them. I couldn’t believe my eyes, there was no way that he would be here. Fate was playing a joke with me.

“Alright contestants, you will now have to form your own teams for the first mission. Now go and create your teams!” All of us got up and started to shift around awkwardly. I was still in shock and was still sitting down.

“Hey man, are you not going to move?” I looked up and saw Jungha. He chuckled and stuck out his hand. I took it and pulled him in for a hug.  

“Jungha! It’s been a while since I last saw you!”

“I know, when was the last time we met? Maybe January or even last year?” We laughed as we reminisced about old memories and talked about our current lives.

“Geon man, he totally just ditched us.” Jungha said jokingly. I nodded in agreement.

“I know dude, just because he has more boots than us.” We decided it was time to start forming a team so we walked around and discussed who would be best to team up with.

“You know, we should ask the dreadlock guy to join our team. He’s not a bad dancer and definitely has that stand out factor that might be beneficial to our team.”

“No! We can’t.” There was no way that I would be on a team with him again. I have to avoid him at all costs. Jungha furrowed his brows.

“Wh-“ Jungha was about to talk when he was interrupted. We turned around to a group of boys making an announcement.

“Hello! We are a band called MAS and although we are not the best dancers, we are willing to learn and try our best! Please add us to your team, we promise to work twice as hard as anyone!” All the contestants whispered to each other as the group of boys walked away into the crowd.

 

[Flashback]

“Please take me in! I will work really hard to dance even more than anyone else in the world!” A young boy begged someone while on their knees.

“I told you we don’t have anymore spots! Go somewhere else!” The young boy shook his head and stood his ground. The door opened and another guy walked in.

“Ooo, what’s happening here?” The two boys looked at the guy who had walked into the room.

“Daewon hyung! This boy keeps trying to join our crew, but I told him that we don’t have room!” Daewon walked closer to the kneeling boy.

“Hmm, what’s your name?” The young boy looked up at Daewon and shyly told him.

“L-Lee Hyung-geun.”

[End of flashback]

 

“Man, that for them. No one would be willing to choose them, they’re a band with like no dance experience.” Jungha shook his head with pity.

“You know what, let’s group up with them.” Jungha looked at me with a puzzled look. I ignored him and walked over to them.

“Hey, let’s team up guys.” I stuck out my hand for a handshake. One of the boys looked at me with disbelief before grabbing my hand.

“Thank you so much! My name’s Dongmyeong! I promise I won’t let you down.” He eagerly shook my hand while the rest of the boys smiled brightly.

“My name is Daewon and I’ll take you up on your promise!” Jungha came over and introduced himself as well. He then turned to me.

“Are you sure you want to do this? We might not win the first mission.”

“It’s fine Jungha, I couldn’t just leave them alone and it’ll be fun to teach someone again. Plus, you could also learn from the extra lessons too.” He punched me in the stomach. Then we both laughed.

“Alright then, I’ll trust your judgement. Also, maybe it’ll be you who will be learning new lessons.” He smirked at me.

“We’ll see about that.” I smirked right back at him. Let’s forget about the past and focus on the future. I’ll definitely make it to the end!

----------