After the Sunset

After the Sunset
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Tzuyu had wondered to herself, ever since she was a young child. Was there anything she had done wrong in her previous lives? Yes? No? 

She wondered why she had to suffer with the people in this world.

From the perspective of outsiders or those wandering strangers that laid their eyes upon her, they could never have suspected or even imagine the thought of someone who had such a pretty face, packed brain filled with knowledge and the envious, comfortable lifestyle humans wished to have; to live such a  life.

 

They’d think she would be surrounded by friends, loving relatives, or even a lover.

 

A broken family.

 

Heck even her neighbors and towns people despised her as she walked out of her house, and with the sad truth it’s all because of her last name. 

 

Irritating school life. Being taken advantage of easily just for her face. The struggle of un-readable eyes being misunderstood. Being complimented yet gossiped about behind her back. Fake friends using her.

 

“Hey, Tzuyu. I bet you enjoyed me last night, right?” A classmate proudly scoffed off to his friends.

 

“I’m sorry. I don’t think I ever recalled being with a microorganism.” Tzuyu’s words came boldly, as she brushed by the shoulder of the male.

 

Did those words affect her? Not entirely, no. How could such little annoyance disturb her when she had already gotten used to it, right?

 

Tzuyu always told herself, she shouldn’t create such a fuss about how her life was going, she knew herself that there are many others who are suffering in life much more than her. What was the use anyway? It’s not like she had anyone to listen to her.

 

But there was...one place she felt truly home to. Somewhere of peace; where she could be herself. Her feelings would flow without interruption as they were actually valid. A place that was the only highlight of her days; her safe place, she would say.

 

“Hello, father.” Tzuyu greeted the moment she came through the door, not to her surprise where the reply was the same old silence everyday. She looked to the empty chair across her father; it’s been 2 years since her mother had run away, causing what was once a simple, happy family to fall apart.

 

Followed by the echoing steps in the giant room, slowly, she dragged her tired feet up, exhaustion from school heavily taking a toll on both her brain and body. Her brain only grown heavier just at the thought of the school work given out.

 

But she knew it was all worth it, the moment she would close her eyes that is.

 

“Hey, Tzuyu.” A gentle voice popped up behind her.

 

“Huh?” The ravenette’s head raised at an instant from the voice, eyes darting side to side before she realized who it was. “Did I fall asleep on my desk again?” 

 

“Pretty much.” The girl sat on the rather fancy decorated bed, frowning. “Let me guess, homework?”

 

“..And tests.” Tzuyu continued with a dull tone. “I’m going to go and wake up now.”

 

“Whaattt? But I just arrived!” 

 

“Nayeon, I am NOT sleeping with my back like this.”

 

“Okay, fiiiine.” 

 

 

It was a strange phenomenon that had went on for a few weeks now. Tzuyu didn’t exactly understand how or why it came to be. It all happened when she went to sleep, in hopes of never waking up again.

 

Her eyes opened; greeted by a familiar ceiling. She looked around. It seemed like she was still in her bedroom, except for the fact that it looked much softer as if there was strange, blurry filter covering it. Was this how the effect of her death wish was supposed to be?

 

“Hey thereee.” 

 

A voice said which instantly startled the poor girl from her position. With attention upwards, she came face-to-face with another girl. 

 

A girl whom she had never seen before in her entire life.

 

“Who...are you?” Was the only question Tzuyu could muster, Why was she here? Isn’t death supposed to show judgement day for it would be decided on where she would go in the after life? Or was she perhaps an angel to show her the way to death’s door? If so, why was she just dressed in a soft pink hoodie and pajama pants?

 

“I should be asking you that...but I’m Nayeon.” The girl extended her hand towards her. “I’ve been alone here for a while now. I was thinking...since you’re the only other person I see here, how about we be friends?” She continued with a bright smile which bore out her two front teeth, that was the first thing Tzuyu noticed about her. She wondered, was this mysterious bunny the same to betray her or was she someone she could trust?

 

Her past experiences of having ‘friends’ won over those thoughts. 

 

“Friends?” Tzuyu raised her brow, eyeing the hand shown to her. 

 

“Rejecting me already? Damn.” Nayeon couldn’t help but sigh. “Am I that suspicious that we can’t even be friends?” 

 

“I mean, we literally don’t met. You don’t know me. I don’t know you. How do YOU know that I’m trustable enough to be friends with?” 

 

“Sweetie. I think I’ll take my chances on being friends with someone rather than just mindlessly wander around here alone.”

 

Pretty odd reason.

 

From this pretty weird person.

 

“..I see. Well, whatever you want. I guess.” Tzuyu shrugged, it’s not like she had anything to lose, even if this stranger were to betray her or use her in some way, it’s not like she’d get hurt by it.

 

“Wait, does that mean we’re friends?” Nayeon gasped, and was it Tzuyu’s imagination or did she just see a genuine sparkle glint in the girl’s eyes as she did so?

 

“If that’s what makes you happy.”

 

...

 

“Wait, how are you even in my room?!”

 

-

 

Soon it came to be a few days, then to a few weeks, gradually their friendship grew. Tzuyu getting used to Nayeon popping up beside her ear, though she swore her hearing had gotten worse because of that. The constant random noises that came out of the girl’s mouth just to irritate her out of fun. 

 

The times when they would run around the room for the sake of Tzuyu just wanting to get away from Nayeon’s numerous attempts of “smothering her in affection”.

 

Or maybe sometimes Tzuyu would be the one in pursuit for her revenge.

 

But somehow despite them being an opposite pair, in their hearts, they knew there was a special bond between them.

 

And as the bond deepens more, feelings will begin to blossom from those created bonds. 

 

Knowing it can be felt by their special moments with each other.

 

For Tzuyu, the blossom grew too quickly and eventually evolved stronger, which often made Nayeon’s skinship towards her confusing. Or more like, women were confusing. She didn’t have any idea whether the girl were throwing hints at her or just being super friendly.

 

All she knew was that her heart would begin to waver with just a simple gaze from Nayeon.

 

-

 

“Tzuyu, look what I drew.” Nayeon scooted away, a rather proud look as she presented a poorly drawn tall stick figure with long hair and implemented grumpy looking face on the piece of paper. “My finest masterpiece yet!”

 

“Is that supposed to be me?” Tzuyu asked as she examined over the said ‘masterpiece’.

 

“Yep.”

 

“Wow, such a Picasso.”

 

“Shut up.” She giggled at the sarcastic remark, a hand gesturing for the tall woman to come closer. “Come here!”

 

Tzuyu could only sigh at her, already knowing her next course of action. She sat on the bed as Nayeon gently laid her head on her lap with a pleased expression on her face.

 

A small hum played in her lips as she relaxed her head onto the soft lap of the other’s. “Hmm. Do you know what today is?” Nayeon’s lips fall into a faint smile, eyes facing the ceiling.

 

“It’s your birthday.” Tzuyu replied without hesitation, how could she forget her only friend’s special day. “Sorry I couldn’t bring you a present though.”

 

“It’s alright. I just want something simple!” Nayeon quickly sat up, on her knees, as she shifted closer with a devious grin. 

 

“And..that is..?” Tzuyu, startled from the sudden distance, leaned backward.

 

“A kiss.” 

 

“..Excuse me?”

 

“Riiiight here~.” Nayeon pointed towards her cheek.

 

“Wh..” The poor young girl felt tightened, and cheeks lightly flushed to where she wanted the kiss; the soft, fluffy pale cheek that she adored. Was this a joke? Was this real? Should she go for this open opportunity?

 

“Kidding, hehe.” Nayeon laughed softly, as she scooted back.

 

Oh. Of course.

 

“I...” Tzuyu swallowed the tight knot down , sighing out as a sign of relief for her beating heart. But she knew deep down, she was disappointed that Nayeon always joked with her this way. It felt like she was being used for a moment, her feelings just a mere toy. “Nayeon—“

 

“Actually, Tzuyu. I’ve already thought about my gift.” Nayeon chuckled, “And it’s serious, this time.”

 

“Huh?”

 

“Two things.” She lifted her fingers, “First, a smile from you.”

 

“But you’ve seen me smile before?” Tzuyu looked at her, confused. 

 

“Well, yeah. But I like seeing you smile, it’s really cute. Especially that smile where your dimples come out.” She teased, gently poking the corner of her lips.

 

“..Okay. So, what’s the second gift?”

 

“I’m not telling you until you give me my first gift!”

 

“I can’t just smile on demand.”

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter