우체국 밖에있는 가을

Autumn Outside The Post Office

 

November 3rd, 2015



 

As I walk into the post office, my oversized sweater hanging from my shoulders, so many doubts run through my mind; like fallen leaves fleeing the autumn breeze.

 

What if it was sent back? What if he sent me the wrong mailing address? Did he do it on purpose? What if he doesn’t love me anymore? I am snapped out of my thoughts as the clerk calls me up.

 

“Next in line,” he says monotonously.

 

“U-uh, I received a call earlier today telling me to come pick something up,” I say.

 

“Kim Seokjin?”

 

“Yes, that’s me.”

 

“Wait here a moment,” he says, walking into a back room.

 

I take this time to look around the post office, taking in the bleak, white walls, the grey, metal P.O. boxes, and the smell of ink and paper. Sometimes I think that I would like nothing more than to not live in the tiny camper trailer that I have, so I wouldn’t have to come to the post office every time I needed to send or receive mail, but then I remember him.

 

And I realize, what I would really like more than anything, is for him to get home safely.

 

He is in the military, while I am stuck here, since I already did my two years quite a while ago.

 

He’s such a gentle soul, the military really isn’t the place for him, but he didn’t have much of a choice.

 

“Alright sir, here is your letter,” the clerk says. I was so deep in thought I hadn’t realized he had come back. I take the letter and thank him, holding it delicately as I leave.


 

As I step outside the post office, my sweater blowing in the autumn breeze, I look towards the bench sitting right outside the large window, as the memories flow back from all those years ago.

 

"S-Seokjin, I, uh, have something I’ve been meaning to ask you,” he says tentatively, looking anywhere but my face as we sit on the cold metal bench.

 

“You can ask me anything, don’t be shy.” I say, smiling warmly at him. As he struggles to find the right words, I take in his nervous face, his pink, dimpled cheeks, his hair ruffling in the slight breeze, the bandage on his cheekbone, his adorable nose. I simply cannot fathom thinking of him as unattractive, as some do.

 

“I… we have known each other for quite a while now, gone on a few dates here and there, and…” he sighs. “ it. Kim Seokjin, I am in love with you. Though I’m not as good looking as others interested in you, though I rant about the randomest things, though I am far from perfect, what I want to ask you is,” he takes a deep breath.

 

“Will you be my boyfriend?”, he asks, his anxious eyes boring into mine.

 

I couldn’t help the stupid grin plastered on my face, or the happy giggle that leaves my lips.

 

“I would be delighted to be your boyfriend.”

 

He smiles so wide I’m surprised he can still see, and hugs me tightly. “Though I’m sure I’ll make many mistakes, do and say things I don’t mean, I promise I will always love you,” he says, kissing my cheek affectionately.

 

I smile at the memory, the coolness of the metal bench seeping through my jeans and chilling my thighs.

 

I take a shaky breath, and finally open the envelope, taking the letter out.


 

Dear Kim Seokjin.

 

It’s been a while, hasn’t it? Thank you so much for your letter. I miss you so much.

 

Things over here have been a bit crazy. As you can expect from me, I have already broken quite a few items, including a whole- bed. I don’t even know how I did that! I sat on it and it just broke! I blame you for being such a good cook, Jinnie Hyung. But you know I can’t stay mad at you. I love you too much for that.

 

I keep getting in trouble for daydreaming. It’s your fault for running through my mind at all times! Don’t you get tired?!? Okay, that was cringey, sorry about that… I love you!

 

The thought of you waiting for me makes me sad, but also keeps me going. Just know that I miss you, and love you, just as much as you do me, if not more. Don’t worry, we’ll see each other sooner than you think.

 

P.S. I had to rewrite this approximately 6 times, because I kept somehow ripping the paper.

 

P.P.S. Did you know that P.S stands for Post Script?




 

I keep going back to that one part. “‘We’ll see each other sooner than you think…’

 

I don’t realize I’m crying, until I nearly snort a tear accidentally.


 

As I sit outside the post office, the sleeve of my sweater wiping my nose, I lay back against the bench.

 

‘In front of Autumn post office, I was waiting for you,’” I begin to sing softly to myself.

 

‘Yellow ginko leaves were flying in the wind. Like people passing by, I see them flying far away.’” I take a deep breath, letting my emotions run through me.

 

‘How long will the world remain beautiful?’

 

“As long as you’re in it, Hyung.” I snap my head towards the direction the voice came from, to be met with a familiar figure.

 

“You know, your singing is really what made me fall for you. Well, that and many other things, but-” I cut him off by running to him and burying my face into his chest as I cry. It doesn’t take long for him to wrap his arms around me.

 

Oh, how I missed his embrace.

 

“I missed you, so, so much,” I cry.

 

“Me too, Princess,” he says. “Me too.”

 

“So you missed yourself? What about me?” I say, my voice still thick and wavering.

 

“Really Jin? I thought we were gonna have a nice, romantic moment but NO-”

 

“Okay, okay, I’m sorry!” I giggle into his chest. “Why are you back? What did you do this time?”

 

“I, uh, well, I tripped and… broke… my wrist?” He answers. I take his hand in mine, rolling back the sleeve carefully and, sure enough, his wrist is wrapped in a cast.

 

“Gosh darnit, you are such a clutz!” I exclaim, hitting him in the chest repeatedly.

 

“Ouch! I thought you loved me!” he says.

 

“I do, I just… I really missed you…” I say, calming down and burying my head back into his chest.

 

“Hyung, I have something I need to ask you,” he says, pulling away from me and staring into my teary eyes. “As you know, I’m not exactly the best with confidence, but I’ll try not to make a complete fool of myself,” he chuckles.

 

“We’ve been together for about three years now, and even though you can be an annoying pain in the sometimes-”

 

“YAH-”

 

“My love for you has never lessened in the slightest - if anything, it has grown. I am eternally grateful for every hug, every laugh, every fight, every dad joke, and what I want to ask you is...” He pulls away from the hug and kneels down in front of me.

 

“Kim Seokjin, would you make me the happiest entity in the entire universe - which, by the way, cannot compare to your beauty, and be the Princess Peach to my Mario?” he asks, pulling out a ring box from the pocket of his corduroy jacket.

 

“Well, except, I won’t let you be kidnapped, the in-” I cut him off by placing a soft kiss on his lips.

 

“I would be delighted to marry you, Kim Namjoon.”


 

As we stand outside the post office, holding each other in the loving embraces we missed so dearly, the autumn breeze trying and failing to come between us, we are certain that we are the happiest people there could ever be.

 

Though this is the end of this story, it is not the end of ours, for our love will remain undeniable, and eternal.