Chapter 1

Hampvein
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"This week's topic is Nihilism." Nayeon wrote the word on the blackboard. "Can anyone tell me who the most important nihilist author is?" Nayeon asked the classroom full of silent students.

 

Another day, another experience of getting rubbed in the face that her subject was not worth paying attention to. As a teacher, Nayeon had made herself used to it. It didn’t mean, though, that she was already immune to the sting whenever her students showed disinterest in her class.

 

"Anyone?" She asked again after a few moments of silence.

 

"Nicki Minaj," said a student from one of the back rows of the class, causing everyone to laugh.

 

Nayeon pinched the bridge of her nose in frustration, one would think that she'd be dealing with mature students, seeing as she was a College teacher, yet here she was, dealing with what seemed to be a bunch of kids.

 

On the bright side, her headache wasn't present, so that was good.

 

"No, it was not Nicki Minaj, the most important nihilist author was-" her explanation was cut off by the door being opened suddenly. Everyone’s head turned to check who it was.

 

And there was her headache. She was tall. She wore her cap and her leather jacket. She had her lollipop with her.

 

"Miss Chou, seriously? You come to class thrice a month and you're always late, you can't come in." Nayeon was hoping she wouldn't show up today. She sort of blamed herself, thinking she jinxed it.

 

Tzuyu who was already making her way inside the classroom, cap set on her head and a lollipop inside , made a sudden stop to look at Nayeon. She took the candy out of with a loud pop sound.

 

"Aw, how nice of you to keep track of how many times I'm here." was all Tzuyu said before sticking the lollipop inside once again and making her way to the far right corner seat, which happened to be taken.

 

Tzuyu stood tall besides the student that had taken her place. She simply moved her head in a motion that indicated the student to make room for her, and he was gone in a blink.

 

The tall teen plopped down on the green plastic chair pushing it back in order to place her feet on top of the desk.

 

Nayeon could feel her blood boiling, this girl came inside her classroom like she owned the place, not only interrupting her class but disrespecting everyone in the classroom with it, and the worst part was that in Nayeon's eyes, there wasn't anyone hotter than Chou Tzuyu, which only made Nayeon madder.

 

Nayeon carried on with her class trying to ignore the heavy stare on the back of her head she was sure belonged to Tzuyu, whenever their eyes would lock Tzuyu would throw a wink in Nayeon's direction, and Nayeon hated it.

 

-

 

A huff was heard before Nayeon's body produced a loud thud when she succumbed to the comfort of the couch. She allowed herself to close her eyes and heave deep breaths, inhaling the atmosphere the air conditioner was eliciting. Her classes were finally over – this day was over – all she would have to do now was ready her things and go home if her mother just hadn't asked her to pick up another ancient jewellery package. She knew, though, that it wasn't just about her mom and her ancient jewellery package. There was something- someone else that exhausted her today. She let out an exasperated sigh.

 

Chou Tzuyu.

 

Chou Tzuyu and her stupid lollipop. Chou Tzuyu and her ugly cap and leather jacket she wore everywhere.

 

She wouldn’t get off of Nayeon’s head again. Sometimes the teacher really preferred it more when Tzuyu wasn’t present, because whenever she was she occupied Nayeon’s thoughts almost completely. If Chou Tzuyu just didn’t get her so worked up everytime she attended her class, maybe her life would be a lot easier.

 

Nayeon opened her eyes when she heard indistinct chitchat. And though she had no idea what they were saying, she knew to whom the voices belonged as they were not foreign to her ears. She let out another sigh, these two would definitely exhaust her, too.

 

“Someone’s looking like an overworked cow again.” Jennie commented as soon as she saw Nayeon almost lying on the couch, then she chuckled as she headed to the fridge.

 

It still amazed Nayeon how their teachers’ lounge actually had fridge. In other Colleges it was only couches and tables, but theirs had a fridge and air conditioner.

 

“Mhmm…” Irene hummed in agreement. She sat next to Nayeon and rested her head on the girl’s shoulder. “Does this mean Tzuyu showed up in your class again?”

 

“That’s already obvious, though. You didn’t have to ask her, Irene.” Said Jennie, then she turned around to show them two Sprite in can in her hold. “Would you two like some cold drink? It’s not alcohol but at least it’s cold.”

 

“Sure. But just to be clear, you’re the only one among us who’s so fond of alcohol.”

 

Jennie only giggled at what Irene had said, she shifted her gaze to Nayeon and asked her again, “How about you?”

 

“I think I’ll gulp one can before I go.” Nayeon answered, her voice was weak and lukewarm.

 

“What’s gotten into you?” Jennie asked before turning to the fridge again.

 

“Wrong question, Jennie. Who’s gotten into you?” Irene then jabbed a finger gently on Nayeon’s chest.

 

Nayeon straightened up, she was now sitting properly on the couch. “You both know who…” Nayeon hesitated to continue. If she spoke her name Jennie and Irene would never stop teasing her about it again. But her name… she liked her name. “Chou Tzuyu.” And it rolled off her tongue perfectly, it always did.

 

“Omg! You two have finally ed?” Jennie closed the fridge and was faking a shocked expression when she turned her heel to walk towards them, hugging three in-cans to her chest.

 

Nayeon felt as if her entire self was shaken awake. Her eyes were bawling out. ajar. “What the- oh my god- I can’t believe you’re still feeling well after saying that…” and Nayeon slammed her back to the couch again, knowing she sounded so defensive. She just muttered a quiet “so sickening” as she rolled her eyes.

 

Jennie snickered and handed them their drinks before she sat in the other couch, while Irene was obviously holding back her laugh.

 

“Why don’t you talk to her, Nayeon? I mean she’s your student, you are her teacher. You still have the authority between the two of you,” asked Irene. She folded her knees together and made them rest on the couch.

 

“You think I’m too dumb not to try that? I have tried so many times to talk to her. I made a gentle approach, and also tried my intimidating and edgy side on her. I gained nothing!”

 

“She’s right, Irene. The last time she tried, Tzuyu said she looked like a frustrated hamster.”

 

Irene stuck her forefinger out briefly, “And called her adorable. Yeah, that’s not so bad, though, right?”

 

Nayeon’s eyebrows wrinkled out of annoyance, her lips puckered a bit as she just listened to her two best friends laugh at her. She bowed her head down, not wanting them to see her probably reddened face. They were telling the truth, Tzuyu really did say she looked like a frustrated hamster.

 

And called her adorable.

 

“You and Tzuyu would really make a cute couple if you two aren’t always like a cat and a mouse who can’t stand each other’s existence. And in this, you obviously are the mouse.”

 

“Oh shut up, Jen. We all know here you also have a thing with your student Lisa. I heard she nearly burnt your hair today, huh?” Nayeon wore a teasing grin, and in her mind she said: finally, revenge.

 

Jennie rolled her eyes, “At least my edgy side works on her. She apologized to me. Have you ever had that from Tzuyu? No. Why? Because you look like a frustrated hamster when you try.”

 

Nayeon couldn’t say anything after. Jennie was right. And her friends even did a high five while she was miserable in her seat. What kind of friends did she have?

 

“Don’t make this about me, hamster.” Jennie then shot her a look and a mischievous smile as if telling her that she could never win against her.

 

“You know, you two are supposed to make me feel better. That’s what friends do.” Nayeon pouted.

 

“Except we’re not your friends, Nayeon. We’re your best friends.” Irene said, then chuckled. “And don’t give us that pout. It won’t work, too.” She scrunched up her nose and shook her head just to tease Nayeon more.

 

Nayeon tossed her empty can onto Irene and it hit the latter on her shoulder. The three of them shared giggles before Nayeon had spoken again.

 

“I have to go, gotta pick this ancient jewellery package for my mom.”

 

“Again?” The two asked in unison.

 

Nayeon nodded as she got up. Then she picked her red shoulder bag up. “I don’t have any idea what makes her so obsessed with them. It’s not like they’re pretty? They’re hella heavy. I think my ears would be torn off if I ever wore one of those big earrings.”

 

“Yeah, well, she’s a mom. When did we ever completely understand our moms?” Jennie said that made Nayeon laugh.

 

“Whatever. I’m gonna go skedaddle. Have fun, you two.”

 

Irene and Jennie only gave her a nod and a smile. When she got out of the teachers’ lounge, she dug her bag for her phone. Then she messaged her mom saying she might come home late and that they didn’t have to wait for her for dinner. She was walking slowly as her focus was on her phone, but she really had to move quickly because she still got a mess to clean on her table in the faculty room.

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter