The Beginning

Just One More Day

Stella's POV

I stepped off the plane at Incheon Airport. This was my first time being back in Korea after moving to the States when I was six years old. Now being 21, it felt strange to be in this country after being away for so long. I couldn't really say that I felt nostalgic since I only remember so little from my early years here, but the feeling wasn't bad. I had high hopes for myself. I was going to find out what I wanted to do here. 

Being in my senior year of college, I was nervous about the prospects of my future. I wasn't sure what I wanted to be. Yes, growing up I switched between careers like many young children: a doctor, a lawyer, a singer, an actress, an archeologist. The list went on....I had so many dreams but after my mom's death, I wasn't sure what I wanted do anymore. She was the person I always talked to for my future. She was my role model. She was the one who gave me guidance, but without her here, I didn't know where to go. 

I wiped a tear that managed to escape my eye and started rolling down my cheek. Stop your crying, Stella. Mom wouldn't want you to be crying when there is so much life out there. I managed to collect myself again and walked out the gate. The airport was beautiful. I had seen some nicely decorated airports in the US, but nothing compared to the sheer amount of activity and style that went into creating this Korean international aiport. Just beautiful, I thought as my made my way over to the vending machine to get a drink. Mom would have loved to see how this place changed. I swiped my card through the vending machine, and got a sprite, as I was waiting for my drink to drop, I heard a scream. Not one of those regular screams that you hear in the airport when some obnoxious person is yelling at a gate keeper or arguing with someone over the last charging port. No, I meant a scream you hear in those horror movies. The type that makes you freeze in the exact spot you are in. A scream that only lets you imagine the worst. 

I jerked my head over to the source of the sound. I couldn't see too well since everyone else was also trying to get a glimpse of the situation that would warrent such a scream, but I finally managed to position my head in a way which allowed me to get a good view of what was going on two gates down from where I was standing. I realized that the woman who had screamed was a middle aged Caucasian woman who was on the floor next to her young son. The boy was doubled over on the ground, foaming at the mouth, eyes rolled back. 

"Someone help my son, PLEASE," the woman yelled desperately as she tried to get her son to straighten his body out which was now convoluted and distorted, stiff and unable to relax. Everyone looked in horror as the boy stayed in this rigid position, face now turning purple, then grayish-blue while he started to bleed from his eyes. The foaming continued, and the mother tried desperately to help her son to no avail. 

THUMP I turned back around to the vending machine as my drink had finally dropped. I snapped back into conciousness, and I realized that I like everyone around me had not moved since watching the boy. I quickly grabbed my drink and thanked the drink for bringing back into focus. I started to head over to the boy and the mother to see if I could do anything to help.

"Call airport security," I told a lady nearby who was also frozen looking at the scene as I passed by her.

"Uh, huh?  Yeah right okay," the lady responded as she quickly snapped her eyes away from the boy and started to call 911 from her cell phone. I ran over the the woman as fast as I could. 

"Hold on" I said as I kneeled down next to the woman and the boy. I took off my jacket and tried to lay it under the boy so he would get carpet burned as his body was still contorted. "I don't know what happened," responded the woman as she continued to try and help her son. I was still looking at the boy and trying to help him, but honestly I had no idea what I was doing. I could hear the mother crying next to me, and I looked up offer her a tissue, and then I saw. The mother had also started to cry tears of blood. They pooled in her eyes and were flowing down her face, but the blood didn't run clean. It almost looked as if it had been coagulating within her body. The blood wasn't fresh...it ran almost black almost oozing out of her eyes. She looked at me questioningly. 

"What's wrong? Why are you looking at me like that? HELP my son? Stop gawking at me!" the mother yelled as she looked furiously at me. 

"Your eyes....they're....t-t-they're" I stumbled across my words as her face also started to turn red and progress to a purple. 

"WHAT" the woman snarled at me almost in an animalistic way. 

"They're bleeding" I whispered back as the woman continued to change color. I slowly got up and started backing away one step at a time.

"COME BACK AND HELP ME WITH MY SON!" As the mother yelled this her face started to twitch and rapidly the twitches started to stick and her face wouldn't relax. Her body started to tense and her limbs started to bend back in an unnatural fashion. I starred in horror as the mother's body started to match her son's. Like a scene from The Ring or The Exorcist, their bodies were bent in ways that were not physically possible. The mother screamed and trashed as she tried uselessly to maintain control over her body, but just like her son, she ended up on the floor. Like a human pretzel. Then, the unthinkable happened. The boy and the mother started to slowly come undone. Their bodies were still stiff but they were becoming untangled. They started to stand upright, but there was something off about them besides their grayish blue skin. Their eyes were still bleeding the black blood and their irises had lost their color. Only a gray color remained that matched with skin. For a moment, I stood in horror, the unthinkable happened.

The woman and the son started to charge, and the next thing I knew, I was running as well. I just ran as fast as I could to get away without looking back. Then I heard it, screams that will remain in my mind forever, Screams mixed with snarls and the sounds of flesh ripping and bones cracking. I continued to run, I couldn't stop. The adrenaline was in my veins and I knew fbased on instinct that I needed to get out of there. There was chaos all around me as people had finally snapped out of whatever trance they were in watching the mom and the son. There were people trying to get away as well all around me, but I didn't care. I just kept running. I had to survive. I had to. I had to get out of there.