Chapter 6

Love thy Enemy

When he came to, Jinki found himself at a hospital, with an older man at his bedside. Who was this man and why was he with him? The last thing he could remember was him fighting, after years. Contrary to what people assumed, Jinki used to be the more aggressive one among the two of them, ever since childhood. 

 

*Flashback*

Jinki felt his anger reach the surface as he saw the 8-year-old Jonghyun hold back tears. He was being bullied as usual, but this time the bullies had made a mistake. They thought they could pick on his best friend right in front of him? Well, they had another think coming. Everyone at his high school knew of the reputation Jinki had, so it seemed as if the bullies had made their last mistake.

"What the hell do you think you're doing?"

Jinki saw Jonghyun's eyes widen as he spotted the utter fury on Jinki's face, as he whispered,

"Jinki-ah, don't do it"

Oblivious to his best friend's soft pleading, Jinki advanced towards the boys menacingly. Without hesitation, Jinki kicked the leader right below his knee and landed a punch to his face as he fell to the ground. Although the other two were just standing like bystanders, they picked up their friend, who was bleeding from his nose and took off. 

"Are you alright, Jonghyun-ah? You should have told me before. I had to hear about it from someone else. Trust me, they'll never bother you again"

"Jinki-ah, I've never seen you like this. You scare me"

"I only wanted to protect you, Jonghyun-ah"

Smiling as he saw Jonghyun's earnest face, Jinki stretched his hand and touched the tip of Jonghyun's nose.

"I'll always protect you, Jonghyun-ah. No matter what"

"Promise me. Promise me that you won't fight again"

"I promise"

*End of Flashback*

Rubbing his throbbing head, Jinki turned towards the man, who'd just cleared his throat.

"You fight really well, son. I'd like you to join our family, Yoshimi Kunio. We are the enemies of the Morita Tenshin, and we could definitely use someone like you. Before you say no, just think about it. You'd be protecting those around you"

Although this man seemed gentle, there was a steely look in his eyes which suggested that he may not be as gentle when he was crossed. Jinki really didn't want to make his decision at that minute, but something inside him told him that it would be best if he just agreed to this offer.

"But..I have a job"

"Not to worry, son. Our family owns the company where you work. You've already been working for us for all these years, but now, I'd like you to join our family, and the fight against the heinous Morita Tenshin"

He did have a point, Jinki would be dong something good.

"I accept"

Little did he know that his boyfriend Jonghyun was a part of this so-called 'heinous' organisation. It took about ten days for him to be formally inducted into his new role as a bodyguard for Mr. Z, the man who had spotted him. His new colleagues took him to a building that looked like a warehouse. Feeling rather suspicious, he felt a thrill as he discovered one of the most exquisite tattoo parlours he’d ever seen. Unbeknownst to Jonghyun, Jinki actually loved tattoos, ever since the first one. He grinned in pleasure as he heard the sound of the needle, and closed his eyes as he felt the sharpness against his skin. Four hours later, he’d completed two new tattoos, which really looked incredible on his skin. This was it. Jinki was officially a part of another organisation. He was the thing that he’d always hated the most. A yakuza. Strangely, it didn’t feel weird or odd in any way. Somehow, it felt right. He practiced daily on the various punching bags available at the office. He’d been given a new desk on a completely different floor than before, which was way fancier than he’d ever imagined. Due to his promise to Jonghyun all those years ago, he’d always shied away from fights or even raising his fists. Now, there was no one who could stop him from releasing the monster inside of him. He really did turn into a monster when he got angry. His love for Jonghyun had helped him transform himself into a shy and passive adult. An alter ego to his real self. Contrary to what people usually said, Jinki had never used aggression to hide his insecurity. He only used it to protect those he loved. 

Jonghyun must never know. How could Jinki try to hide his new secret from him? The one person to whom he was always honest. It wasn’t going to be hard, considering the fact that Jonghyun’s new job had been keeping him very busy. Jinki could just easily tell Jonghyun that he’d received a promotion at work, and he’d believe him.