Cheese

Please Stay

 

            “How do you know Taecyeon?  How did you meet?” Eunhyuk repeated the same questions to Gyuri for what seemed like the thousandth time.  Irritated, she rolled her eyes and continued chowing down her extra cheesy pizza.  Not even the rich mozzarella and herb tomato sauce on top of the crispy thin crust could distract her from this.  Even though Eunhyuk was one of her best friends, she wanted to stuff with mouth with napkins so he could shut up.  He was emotional since she finished her discussion with Taecyeon this past evening.

            At first he was quiet.  Giving her quizzical glances, Eunhyuk thought she would say something.  Instead of answers, she would talk about her day.  Something about an outfit she bought and Seungho, a cute sunbae from her high school.  When Eunhyuk heard this, his face turned into a light red.  He was suspicious about Taecyeon and Gyuri, he did not need more competition.  For the past few years, he and Gyuri had been friends, he always desired to have Gyuri as his girlfriend.  It was difficult though.

            During the course of their friendship, Eunhyuk had seen her date a couple of guys.  There was Taeyang, who ended up falling for his engaged best friend.  How could that guy hurt her like that?  Then there was Jonghyun, who was too young and immature for her.  Who would want to embarrass Gyuri with such behavior especially with her pride in public?  Unlike these two, Eunhyuk was the perfect one for Gyuri, but she did not see it yet. 

            Usually though, Gyuri did not date much.  She was way too good for most guys.  She was in her own league.  However, the past few months she was acting different.  Sometimes, she would ask him to pick her up at funny hours or times.  Then there were those times she would giggle to herself.  She smiled more.  That smile was so radiant.  Yet there were those moments when she seemed upset, especially as of lately.  At first Eunhyuk thought that Gyuri was having a fling.  Still his Gyuri would not do something like that.  Then as time passed, she changed.  Was it that she was in love?  If so, then who?

            It could not be Taecyeon, she never told him about his arch nemesis.  He and Taecyeon were cousins, but that did not mean they liked each other.  Gyuri told him everything, even about the cute guys she talked to.  Could it be him?  Is that she did not tell him about her new mood change?  Did patience finally reward him by having Gyuri’s love?  If so, it would make him the happiest man.  Still he needed to protect their love by figuring out what was going on between her and Taecyeon.

            “What’s the deal with you and Taecyeon?”  He need to ask this for their own good.

            Gyuri gave him an irritated look.  Nicole and Hara gave each other nervous glances.  Despite their reactions. Eunhyuk continued his interrogation much to their annoyance and fear.  However, Gyuri was giving the same response.  That poker face of annoyance.

            “Are you dating him?”

            As sudden as his question, Gyuri stopped eating her pizza.  Her eyes grew wide.  Her breathe paused for a moment.  She stayed still.  Eunhyuk finally got a new reaction, but now what he expected or wanted.

            He took in a deep breath and cleared his throat, “Do you love him?”

            Once again, Gyuri was lost at words.  Instead, her eyes met Eunhyuk’s.  It said everything.

            In a harsh whisper he said, “Do you realize what a big mistake you’re making?  I forbid you-“

            Gyuri shot back, “Forbid me to do what.  You’re not my mother.”

            Now Eunhyuk’s blood was boiling, “You don’t know what kind of person he is.  Back in L.A., he-“

            “I don’t need to hear you bad mouthing him.  He did not say anything ill about you to me,”  Gyuri paused and breathed. “Just leave.”

            Gyuri had enough.

            Before he could say anything, she glared at him.  Giving one last warning.

-------

            Taecyeon was defeated as he walked back into the restaurant.  Unlike his usual confident self, his head hung low, his shoulders slumped, and his feet dragged against the old green linoleum tiles.  It was like as though he was in prison, tied to a ball and chain.  That toothy smile that he had a few minutes ago was lost underneath the gloominess that he called life.  He could not explain it himself. 

            His friends watched the scene through the window like a group of ahjumas watching a drama.  Even they knew Taecyeon was losing the fight, they did not help though because they could not.  What made Ok Taecyeon one of the hottest men in Korea was his confidence.  However, what went along with it hand-in-hand was his pride.  When growing up, the boys got in fights.  Taecyeon would always help his brothers, but the same was not said for him.  If it was Taecyeon’s battle he wanted to go alone.  It made things worse if someone tried to intervene.  Yet Taecyeon always won because he was stronger solo.  It was due to his fierce protective nature that wanted to ensure no one went too deep in his world.

            “Hey hyung!  Have a bite of my cheese ddukbokki,”  Chansung hollered as he waved at Taecyeon.  That boy always had something that involved food.

            Once Taecyeon arrived at the table, he stabbed at the spicy cheesy goodness.  Then as he was twirling the mozzarella, his eyes seemed to wander.  In a whimsical voice, he mumbled, “One of Gyuri’s favorite foods is cheese.  She asked if I was hungry, and I told her to make anything.  We ended eating the ultimate cheese sandwich.”

            His gang feigned confused expressions at him, but they understood one of the sources of his troubles.  Very rarely was he like this, but he was and it hurt.  Concerned by this foreign attitude of his, they decided that they had to get involved.  Whether he liked it or not.  This could not continue.

            Wooyo9ung spoke up first, “Hyung I know you have tried talking to her… but… have you tried explaining it to her?”  This was not going to be easy.

            “Yeah I have told her I’m sorry.  Now there’s Eunhyuk in the picture…Geez like this could get any better,” Taecyeon grumbled.

            The gang silently agreed that Eunhyuk did not ease the situation.  Everyone there did not like the guy.  Something was off.  Still how could Gyuri be associated with a guy like him?

            Taecyeon’s eyes slightly brightened, “At least she isn’t dating somebody.  She said not really… Wait that means she could be dating somebody… She said not really… That isn’t exactly no...Why did I not realize this earlier?”

            Suddenly Jay slapped Taecyeon’s head, “Sometimes I wonder did USC or Harvard teach you anything.”

            All the boys jumped into the conversation with excitement.  “Yeah don’t you think she could have been referring to you too?” Junho remarked.

            Taecyeon tried to settle his friends, “Now guys, Gyuri and I are just friends-”  His words said one thing.   His eyes another.

            Wooyoung teased Taecyeon, “With benefits.  It doesn’t take a rocket scientist to figure out that part.  I’ve seen the way you look at each other.  Even I have to admit it’s pretty hot.  The confusing part is what are you on the scale of friends with benefits.”

            Khun tried to pull the conversation back to its main focus, “We heard Gyuri telling you she needs to understand you.  Don’t you think you should tell her?”

            The deadness in Taecyeon’s eyes was ignited by a fiery anger.  His voice went one octave lower, “I don’t need to.”

            Worried for his troubled friend, Khun dared to challenge Taecyeon.  “Yes you do.  How do you expect you and Gyuri to move on?  She wants to forgive you by understanding you.  She can’t do that though if you don’t tell her.”  Rarely did the Thai raise his voice.

            Not wanting to admit, Taecyeon slammed the table, “She doesn’t need to.  If I can hardly tell you guys, my closest friends, most of the details, it would be tough to tell her.”  That being said, Taecyeon stormed out of the restaurant.

            Junsu quietly told himself, “You only make it difficult.”