Missing Chocolate

Please Stay

 

            “I don’t know Grandpa.  Every thought I have is so wrong,” Taecyeon held his head in his hands.  He growled releasing his frustrations.  “I shouldn’t feel for Gyuri like I do.  I don’t deserve her.  Yet everything I feel for her is like a bomb waiting to explode.”

            Grandpa Joon sat in his chair as he listened to his grandson’s pain.  Even though the old man always had an idea or solution, there was nothing he could provide. 

            “Ever since I saw her last week, I want to be with her.  She is on my mind, all day and all night.  Yet I feel so guilty.”

            “What are you guilty of?” the old man asked.  He knew what ate up his grandson.  However, he knew that Taecyeon would not heal unless he talked about it.

            “I hurt Gyuri.  From the moment I was with Yoona.  Had it not been for that, we would probably still be together.  But when I think about that, it makes me feel guilty.  If it wasn’t for Yoona, there wouldn’t be Jin.”

            “What do you mean there wouldn’t be Jin?”

            “Had Yoona not miscarried the baby,” Taecyeon sighed, “We probably wouldn’t have adopted Jin.”

            “Taecyeon, you can’t blame yourself for the miscarriage,” Joon tried to reassure his grandson.

            “But it is,” the young man rubbed his face, “If it wasn’t for me demanding a paternity test during the pregnancy, she wouldn’t have lost the baby.”

            “How would you have known?  Miscarriages resulting from pregnancy paternity test are very low.”

            “You don’t get it though, it’s my fault,” Taecyeon was even more frustrated.  Not being able to handle the discussion, he stood up from his chair and left his grandpa’s office.  Joon did not follow him because he understood that it was Taecyeon needed his own space.  The young man had too much guilt and pain built up over the years.  However, he would not let it go.

            Since his office was only a couple of doors down, Taecyeon was already at his door in a short amount of time.   At first the door was locked, which was strange because he did not remember locking it.  Then he brushed off the thought; maybe he did it without realizing it.  He grabbed his keys and found the heaviest grey key.  Once he opened the door, he could not help to stare at the window.

            It was a beautiful sunset outside.  The once blue sky was now had purple, red, and orange hues to it.  Despite the numerous colors, they somehow blended with one another and stood out as their own at the same time.  The clouds were not heavy or gray.  Instead, they resembled giant puffs of cotton candy, without the color.  Seeing how spectacular the sunset was, Taecyeon decided to take a break and watch the sunset.

            For some reason, each step to his chair was heavier and heavier.  Maybe it was the lack of sleep?  Maybe it was the stress?  Whatever it was, he could not wait to rest.  Before he got to his chair, he looked at the candy bowl on his desk filled with a variety of snacks.  Since he was weary, he looked for a piece of his favorite Hershey’s chocolate bar.  However there was not any, even though he saw one earlier in the morning.  Then he tried looking for a chocolate peanut butter cup.  There was none too. 

            “I don’t remember eating that much chocolate,” Taecyeon itched his head, “I’ll buy some later.”

            Taecyeon instead just popped a random candy in his mouth.  Now with a sugary kick in him, he felt somewhat more energized, but he still wanted to watch the sunset.  Pulling out his chair from his desk, Taecyeon noticed something strange.  Was that a tiny sneaker? 

            Caught off guard, Taecyeon crouched down to see what was underneath his desk.  The lower he went, the sneaker slowly crept inside the dark space.  Then Taecyeon jumped back a bit.

            “Woah”

            Sitting inside the space under his desk was a little boy.  He looked to be about four to five years old.  He was a really adorable kid.  His long wavy brown hair covered parts of his face, but it did not hide his large brown eyes and big ears.  He probably had a cute smile, but right now it was covered with chocolate and his heart shaped lips quivered.  He was scared of being caught, especially when he shoved the Hershey’s bar into his mouth the moment he was discovered.

            Seeing the little cute kid, Taecyeon thought there was something familiar about that boy.  He knew this boy somehow. A weird connection.  How though?

            “Hey kiddo,” Taecyeon smiled at the little kid.

            “Am I in trouble?” the little one peeped.

            “Nah.  How about we talk somewhere more comfortable?”

            “My mommy told me not to talk to strangers.”

            Taecyeon chuckled as he took out his hand, “I’m Taecyeon.  What’s your name?”

            At first, the little boy was unsure to shake the man’s hand.  After pull his hand in and out, the kid finally shook the man’s hand, “Taemin.”

            Once they introduced themselves, Taemin crept out of the desk.  Taecyeon could not help, but to ruffle the kid’s hair, “Do you want some more chocolate?”

            Taemin shook his head.

            “It’s okay Taemin.  I can tell you like it,” Taecyeon gave the boy a handful of candy.  “My favorite is regular chocolate.”

            Taemin smiled, showing off his large toothy grin, “Mines too!  Thank you for the chocolate, Mister.”

            “No problem little guy.  Say Taemin, how about we find your parents?  They must be worried about you?”

            “I guess so…” Taemin had a long face on.  He really seemed to like this older guy, the same one from the photograph.  Even though he wanted to say something about the picture, he did not want to get in trouble for going through the older man’s things.

            “Don’t worry Taemin.  I’ll talk to your parents so they don’t get mad,” Taecyeon reassured the kid as they walked outside.

            “Thanks Mister,” Taemin smiled back.  He led the way back to his dad’s office, but it was not a far walk since they heard a familiar voice from the corner of the hall.

            “How could you lose him!” a young woman screamed. 

            Once they heard that voice, both Taemin and Taecyeon ran to the source.  At that moment, Taecyeon knew who it was.  Immediately from her tone, he could tell she was stressed and panicking about something.  Was there something wrong with her?

            Standing at the corner was Gyuri and another young woman.  Gyuri’s face was red, with her arms in the air.  There were tears running down her face.  She was scared.

            “Mommy!” Taemin ran to Gyuri.

            “Mommy?” Taecyeon whispered to himself.

            “Taemin!” Gyuri immediately turned with her arms wide open.  Taemin ran to her and gave her a hug.  Gyuri tightly wrapped her arms around him, whispering thankful prayers.  Then she pulled away a bit, “Taemin, where were you?  You scared Mommy.”

            Watching her cry, Taemin gave large puppy eyes, “I’m sorry, Mommy.”

            “What if something happened to you?  What if I lost you?”

            Taemin smiled, “Don’t worry, Mommy.  This nice Mister helped me.”  Breaking away from the hug, the little boy pulled his mom to the nice man.

            Once Gyuri saw the man, she was frozen.  It could not be.  “Taecyeon?”

            “Yup.  This Mister gave me chocolate too,” the little boy grinned.

            Taecyeon took another step forward, “Gyuri, you never told me you had a son.”

            Gyuri quivered, “I-”

GRRR

            Taemin rubbed his belly, “Mommy, I’m hungry.”

            Hearing her little boy speak, Gyuri immediately turned her attention to him, “You are?  Even after all that chocolate?  How about we grab dinner?”

            “Okay!  Can Mister Taecyeon go with us?”

            Gyuri was unsure.  A part of her was scared to allow this.  Her conscience said no.  However her lips did not follow, “Taecyeon do you want to join us for dinner?”

            This caught him off guard, “What about Eunhyuk?”

            “He’s really busy tonight.  Besides it’s only Taemin and me.”

            Out of nowhere, Taemin pulled on Taecyeon’s sleeves, “Please Mister Taecyeon can you go with us?”

            Gyuri and Taemin’s eyes were difficult to deny.  Even though he was heartbroken, he was secretly happy, “Sure then.  Where to?”