First Day

Please Stay

 

            “That will conclude today’s meeting.  Thank you again for welcoming me on my first day.  Let’s work hard together,” Taecyeon said as he bowed to his fellow executives. 

            Everyone in the room clapped, signaling a successful meeting, and were happy to welcome their “newest” member.  When Taecyeon arrived in the office that morning, instead of going to his office, his grandpa had him go around the company.  That morning was quite busy, meeting different department heads and seeing everyone’s progress.  Whether it was reading financial records or analyzing statistics, Taecyeon studied each department as thoroughly as possible.  This was not strange for him because he did the same thing back in Los Angeles.  To him, it was important that he understood and was involved with everything, especially as a vice-president and possibly future president of Legion.

            Even though he was not able to finish going to each department in the morning, Taecyeon had a business meeting to attend to after lunch.  It was a couple of hours long, which he did not mind. For him, this was a great opportunity to gain more knowledge and ideas.  However, the moment he stepped into the room, that optimism changed.

            He saw Eunhyuk sitting five chairs away from him.  Then it reminded him of what happened on Friday.  The morning activities pulled his mind away from Gyuri, the woman who he still loved all these years.  Then again work was always his medicine of a broken heart.  However, he only recently learned that it only temporarily eased the aches. 

            At the beginning of the meeting, Grandpa Joon led the meeting as always.  During that time, Taecyeon felt like he was being discreetly watched.  The hairs on the back of his neck stood up.  A chill travelled down his spine.  Nerves never really got to him since Gyuri, until now. He knew who it was.  It could only be Eunhyuk.  They both knew why. 

            Before Taecyeon knew it, he was called to present himself and his plans for the company.  As he walked up to the front, his palms started to sweat.  He was not afraid of speaking to an audience.  Heck, he could pull it off on the spot in the middle of Antarctica during the wintertime.  It was Eunhyuk he was uncertain of.  He thought it was bad enough having the guy glare him down like a gun machine, it was worse when presenting.  Through out the entire time, Taecyeon could feel Eunhyuk’s eyes bore holes in his body.  Eunhyuk was breathing down his neck despite being ten feet away from him.  Taecyeon felt a boulder of guilt chained to him. 

            Taecyeon knew it was wrong to think of Gyuri as his still.  From the moment he saw Eunhyuk with Gyuri, it was game over.  Eunhyuk loved Gyuri.  Never dare to hurt her like he did.  Unlike him, Eunhyuk would love and cherish her.  It must have worked because now Gyuri and Eunhyuk were married.  Loving a married woman was wrong, especially when it was his own cousin’s wife.  His parents said he should treat Yoona better, but it was so hard to.  He loved Gyuri. 

            Once the meeting finished most of the people left the room.  Except for Eunhyuk.  He sat in his chair until it was just him and his rival.  Taecyeon did not leave.  He stayed because of the elephant in the room.  It had to be discussed. 

            Rising from his chair, Eunhyuk walked to Taecyeon with his arms crossed, “I see you have returned cousin.  Will your stay be long?”

            Taecyeon nodded back, “Yes.  I plan on this move being permanent.”

            “Is that the case?  If so, let me cut to the chase.  Stay away from her,” Eunhyuk took a step closer, their faces only a foot apart.

            Taecyeon was frozen. 

            “I’m not a fool.  Last Friday Gyuri left the party because of you.  Only you just followed her.  She does not need you in her life.  When you broke her heart, she was a mess.  Did you clean it up?  No, it was me who picked up all the pieces,” Eunhyuk informed his cousin.

Five Years Ago

             “I’m pregnant.”

            “Oh my gosh…” Eunhyuk’s heart was crushed, he had to be strong though.  He hugged her again, “Congratulations.”  Then it hit him, “It’s Taecyeon’s baby isn’t it?”

            Gyuri slowly nodded.

            A tornado of emotions rammed through his mind and heart.  He wanted to rip Taecyeon apart when he heard about the wedding.  He wanted to kill Taecyeon for cheating on Gyuri.  He wanted to warn Taecyeon when he heard about Gyuri forgiving him.  Now he just wanted to do something.  He did not know what, but something terrible.  How could that bastard leave her while she was pregnant? 

            Gyuri saw Eunhyuk’s fist turning white, to which she placed her hand on top of his, “Please don’t be angry at him.  I did not find out until this morning, but I did not tell him.  He’s already having a life of his own, a wife and a child on the way.  I can’t wreck it for him.”

            “You’re having his baby too-”

            “It’s my fault-”

            Eunhyuk pulled her into a hug, “No it’s not.”  Something popped into his head, but he was not sure to ask, “Gyuri?”

            “Yes?”

            “Marry me.”

            “What?” she immediately pulled away.  Was he serious?

            “Marry me. Let me be the baby's father.”

            Shocked and confused she sat frozen.  Then the word escaped from her lip, “Okay.”

            She never thought that in a million years that she would not be married to someone that was not Ok Taecyeon. Even though it was such a quick decision, she had her reasons.  She did not love Eunhyuk the same way he felt for her.  It was not for her.  It was for her child.  They both knew what it was like being a child of a single mother. She did not wish the same lifestyle for her baby.  Since she had a feeling the baby would be a boy already, he did not deserve such a cruel life because of her mistakes.  He deserved a happy life with a mom and dad.  Even if it was not with Taecyeon.

            “What I did was not easy,” Eunhyuk growled.

Hospital Kiang Wu in Macau

            “Push Mrs. Lee,” Dr. Reis tried to instruct her screaming patient.  She was already in labor almost twenty-two hours.  The process was long and difficult, especially for this particular patient.  Gyuri Lee was one of her most interesting patients.  For the past months, this woman was excited about her baby, but there was not really a connection between her and her husband like most expecting couples formed.  Her husband was overjoyed about this baby, but there was a distance to him.  He tried to connect to the boy, but it was not that strong.  Maybe he needed time.  Hopefully, when the baby arrives, it would be a different story.

            “Please push Gyuri,” the doctor calmly repeated.  Gyuri was having a hard time since arriving at the hospital.  Obviously, she was in great pain, but there was sadness to her.  During the labor, she would lie on her bed.  Her expression was irritated at times, but most of the time she looked like she was in deep thought.  During these deep thoughts, she would rub her belly and whisper something to herself.  Dr. Reis did not understand Korean, but she kept on hearing something like Taecyeon.  Maybe it was a phrase?

            “Gyuri you could do it,” Eunhyuk tried to encourage his wife as he held her hand. 

            “Taecyeon!” the pregnant woman screamed.  She then looked at her husband, “Where is he?  He needs to be here for our baby.”

            It hurt him to hear those words.  He knew that in pain, Gyuri was losing her control.  The sense of dream and reality had their borders fading away.  This did not shock him though.  It was bound to happen.  They were married three weeks after his “proposal”, where he whisked her off to Macau.  Ever since the move, Gyuri kept to herself and tried opening up to Eunhyuk.  She would read books about pregnancy and childcare if she was not at doctor appointments or classes.  Usually, Eunhyuk would try to cheer her up with shopping sprees or trips to places like concerts or museums.  This did not work though.  During her free time, she would also sit on the couch and contemplate to herself and rub her belly.  He knew who invaded her thoughts.

            “Taecyeon!” Gyuri screamed once more, bring Eunhyuk back to reality.

            “Because of you, she is not who she used to be.  Sure she is now one of the top honchos back at DSP again, but that was because she threw herself in this thing called “life”, so she could forget about you.  What you did to her was unforgivable.  I don’t know if she can handle being broken by you again.  Stay away from her,” Eunhyuk’s voice went one octave lower.  Those words bring said, he left the room.

            Once Taecyeon was alone again, he took a deep breath.  Had it been five years ago, he would not let his rival do this to him.  However, he took the lash because he knew he deserved it.  To him, he did not what he truly deserved.  However, to stay away from Gyuri was difficult to think about.  It already had been too long being away from her.

            Before Taecyeon knew it, he was standing outside of his office.  At first, he noticed that his secretary Seungyeon was not there.  However, he found a note from her saying she was getting lunch.  It did not matter to him.  She was always a good secretary.  After reading the note, Taecyeon opened the door to his office.

BANG

            There was a sound coming from underneath his desk.  Curious to what it was, Taecyeon decided to look at his desk.