Five Years Later

Please Stay

 

About Five Years Later

            Despite being a slightly chilly afternoon, this upscale shopping area was quite busy.  Students done with school would munch on snacks, while looking at clothes and cut trinkets.  Towering over them were modern buildings where stores, restaurants, and hopefully entertainment companies were held.  Near the JYP building was a fancy multi-story restaurant with a sign in red font named Aura.  Since it was not quite dinner time, the place was not extremely crowded, but still busy.  On the bottom floor dashed a pretty young woman with her long hair tied, carrying two bags of delicious goodness.

            Hopping into her Range Rover Evoque, Nicole had a short drive to the hair salon nearby.  The salon was quieter than the restaurant because it was close to its last customers.  This did not matter to Nicole was she grabbed a small container and made her way inside.  Passing by the front desk, the workers knew her already and continued to their business.  Nicole walked down a long path where the chair lined up.  Few were taken by people changing up their dos, whether a cut or dye.  Then at the end on the right side was the one she was looking for.

            Sitting there and reading a DSP black book was the insanely beautiful Park Gyuri.  Even wearing a large black poncho and towel around her neck while her hair was dry, Gyuri was still an eye-catcher.  Five years passed and little changed about her still.  She was still young and gorgeous.  The only thing was that now her once golden locks were now a medium to light brunette tone.  Before on her ring finger sat a diamond ring.  Now there was a dazzling yellow canary diamond perched on a thicker silver band.  All these years and captivating people.

            “Gyul,” Nicole whispered in her busy friend’s ear.  Glancing down, she noticed that her best friend was reading a draft of what would be next month’s issue of DSP fashion magazine.

            “Oh!  Nicori you scared me there,” the busy one jumped in her seat.  She closed her book and placed it on her lap.  Then she noticed a warm container in Nicole’s hands, “What is that?”

            Nicole smiled to herself and handed the item, “I thought you would be hungry since you here forget to eat lunch.  It’s not much, but I thought it would help for now.”

            The delicious aroma was already watering Gyuri’s mouth, so she quickly opened the container.  Carefully placed inside were three thick freshly cooked seafood potato pancakes.  Each one had healthy servings of perfectly grilled shrimp and buttery lobster.  The crunchy chives and potatoes gave that extra kick of wonderful goodness.  For someone who only had two glasses of tea, an acai smoothie, and nothing else, this was a mighty fine treasure.  What also helped was that each patty was cut into bite size bits.  Stabbing her fork there and popping one in , Gyuri savored the flavors.  Her face maintained a neutral reaction but was the opposite of what her insides felt.

            “Thank you Cole,” Gyuri said in between bites.  Each delicious piece quickly filled her empty stomach.  Nicole watched her best friend eat the pancake within minutes.  It saddened her a bit, knowing how Gyuri was.  She was always busy, forgetting about herself.

            Once Gyuri finished her dish, she threw it in the trash can.  Then she grabbed her wallet and pulled out a large amount of money.  She placed it in Nicole’s hands, but the spunky girl refused to accept.  However, she was defeated when Gyuri snatched her wallet and forced the money.  Gyuri’hair stylistst arrived a calm face.  He knew these two long enough that not much surprised him.

            Seeing that her friend was going to start soon, Nicole hugged Gyuri, “I’ll drop off the food at your place now.  Thank you for paying me, but you didn’t need to.  You’re my best friend.”

            “Thank you for the dinner.  I bet it’s going to be delicious,” Gyuri playfully her lips with the tip of her tongue, causing the women to laugh.

            Both hugged each other good-bye, Nicole making another mad dash to Gyuri’s place.  Meanwhile Gyuri sat in her chair, looking at the mirror.  Her favorite hair dresser stared at her.  There were a few head crooks and mutters.  Then he clapped his hands.

            “How about blonde?” he exclaimed.

            Gyuri stared at him, “Not today.  Besides we need to fix my hair for tonight’s party.”

            Rejected again he sighed, “Well I guess for now then…  Since tonight’s the big annual dinner thingy, let’s glam you up so everyone’s jelly.  But that won’t be difficult.”

            “Sounds perfect.  I do need to impress my people,” Gyuri smiled.

RING

            Both instantly checked their phones, but Gyuri saw it was hers.  She pressed the button.

            “Hi.”

            “Hey sweetie, what time should I pick you up?”

            “In an hour, you know where?”

            “I sure do!  See you soon yobo.  I love you,” the voice chimed.

            “Me too.  Bye Eunhyuk.”

 

Five Years Ago

            Each step away from him was like a stab to her heart.  A new step meant a step farther from him.  A new step meant a weaker pulse.  Her heart became heavier.  Her mind turned dizzy.  She felt so sick.  After five minutes of mindlessly walking around the church gardens, Gyuri decided to sit somewhere.

            Eventually she found a bench near the edge of the parking lot.  She sat there, breathing heavily.  started to tense, she felt like not breathing.  Hot tears formed at the corner of her eyes.  She held onto her pained chest.  It had to be released.  Sitting there, she broke down and sobbed.

How could I be alone?  I need to be strong.

            Suddenly she felt a hand on her shoulder.  Scared that she was caught, Gyuri immediately jumped out her seat.  Instead of a menacing bride or love-pained groom, there standing next to her was a slightly tall man who she had not seen for some time.  He was in a suit with a small gift in his hand.  Even though he was late for the wedding, he was in no rush.  His attention was on the crying woman he loved.

            “Hey Gyuri,” Eunhyuk said with worry.

 

            “Have I told you that you look amazing tonight?” Eunhyuk whispered to Gyuri as they talked away from another couple they finished talking to.

            “I think it’s the hundredth time already,” Gyuri laughed.

            “Well you always dress to kill at all these parties,” Eunhyuk said, “Everyone says so.”

            “I don’t know about everyone… Some are obviously too jealous.”

            They had a reason to be.  Tonight Gyuri dazzled again in a short royal dress that revealed her smooth sculpted back.  The belt around her waist emphasized her perfect hourglass body.  Her hair was in thick waves that were slightly pulled back by the thin black hair band.  This showed off her beautiful features highlighted by her blood-red lips.  Men cursed at Eunhyuk for being so lucky.  Women glared at her, knowing they could not pull such beauty so easily like her.

            Before Eunhyuk and Gyuri could find their table, so they could rest, they were greeted by another couple.  Eunhyuk enthusiastically replied bac.  Gyuri did the 15th repeat of the same generic introductions and hellos.  It was always the same no matter what; young, old, smelly, smart.  All were the same.  This time it was a couple around their age.  Then were all the same.  This one was a junior of Eunhyuk’s at Legion.  He was blatantly checking Gyuri out, despite her husband and his wife.  Eunhyuk glared at the man, for he was easily jealous.  Meanwhile the man’s wife was trying to chat Gyuri up.  Instead of impressing her, the woman irritated her.

            This one was not the first to do so.  Many women hated Gyuri.  There were also many that tried to up to her.  It was not difficult to see why.  As the wife of one of Legion’s executives and the favorite granddaughter-in-law to the president of the company, Gyuri was an influential woman.  Unlike many executive wives, she also held her own job.  One of the creative directors at DSP magazine, she proved her power, intelligence, and talents.  People recognized her for her beauty, personality, and charm.  Some loved her.  Some hated her.  Ultimately she was either a wonderful ally or terrifying enemy.

            Finally the conversation ended.  Eunhyuk told the junior to show up bright and early the next day, even though it would be a Saturday.  This caught the young man’s attention, but he agreed to this last minute reminder.  Gyuri shook her head to this.  Eunhyuk usually punished those that painted him green with envy.  He hated watching men go after his wife, the one he tried so hard to win.  However, Gyuri could do nothing with both sides.

            Once they sat down, Grandpa Joon was on the stage asking for everyone ot return to their chairs.  Despite his age, the old man still ran his company with a smile and all the energy he could give.  By the time everyone was in place, the ballroom’s lights dimmed.  Everyone focused on the podium, where he was going to deliver his annual speech.

            “Welcome.  Tonight we are here to celebrate the 60th anniversary of Legion Trading,” Grandpa Joon introduced the reason of celebration.  His speech was filled with the humble starts of the company.  Then he continued with the tough, but exciting, journey of becoming one of the top shipping/trading companies in the world.  He repeatedly expressed his gratitude towards everyone in the company.  What were common were jokes.  It made everyone laugh and cry.  Despite hearing similar versions every year, Gyuri loved it because of the man’s passion and humility.  However, the ending caught her attention. 

            “Don’t tell anyone this secret, but I’m pretty old,” Grandpa Joon poked fun at himself, causing the audience to crack up.  Then the highly respected president smiled, but with a serious side to it, “I love this company and would want to run it forever.  However age and time does take their tolls.  That is why, for the best of the company, I will retire within the next year or so.  I saddens me to do so, but this gave me an opportunity from God.  I am happy to announce the return of one our executives, who has been running the Western division of Legion in Los Angeles.   Please, warmly welcome Vice President Ok Taecyeon.”

            Gyuri’s world flipped upside down.  This did not seem real at all.  Was it a dream?  Was it a nightmare?  Not much could equal to it.  She was not shocked for so long.  Then it sunk in, very slowly.

            Ok Taecyeon walked up the stairs to the stage with a large grin.  He looked slightly different from when she last saw him.  His hair was a little shorter.  Even though he was muscular before, he was buffer.  Years in Los Angeles tanned his kin, but he had a healthy glow.  The way he strolled to the stage and waved to the crowd, he was like  a charming president.  Before he took the podium, he deeply bowed to everyone.  All the women swooned.  The men who did not know him were curious.  However everyone was shocked.

            Hands placed at both sides of the stand, Taecyeon looked at the crowd.  Then he smiled, showing off all his pearly whites, “Thank you for your warm welcome.  I am glad to return back home and to this wonderful company that my grandfather built.  One does not understand how honored I am to be working with you.  I will do my best to maintain the company’s finesse.”

            Everyone clapped while Taecyeon bowed again to the crowd.  All the lights as he and his grandpa walked off stage.  Gyuri’s eyes searched for his wife, who was now sitting three tables from her.  At the table, Im Yoona sat there elegantly in her white Victoria Beckham dress with wide shoulder pads and low cut.  Gyuri was pinged with jealousy as she saw Taecyeon make his way towards the proud woman.  However, he passed her and was now in front of Gyuri and Eunhyuk.

            “Ms. Park, I have the pleasure of seeing you again,” Taecyeon bowed to her.

            Gyuri stood up and bowed back, “The same to you.  Congratulations on your return.”

            Before Taecyeon could continue, Eunhyuk bowed to his returning cousin.  He tried his best to control himself, “Hello cousin.  Welcome back, I see you have greeted my wife, Park Gyuri.”

            As overjoyed Taecyeon was to see her once again, he was sadden by those last words.

 

            Ok Taecyeon was walking with his wife to their limo after the reception and photo session.  Surrounding them were all their guests, who cheered and offered their well-wishes before they made their way to the party.  In the midst of it all, Taecyeon tried to find a certain person.  Turning and stretching his head in carious directions, he tried to act like was thanking everyone.  Then he stopped for a moment.

            Quite a distance from him was Gyuri was crying.  However, her head hid into a particular man’s chest.  It was not just any man.  It was Eunhyuk.  Watching this caused Taecyeon to weaken.  Seeing her with another man was not as terrible as seeing her hurt by him.

            Once he passed by his grandpa, Taecyeon requested to be transferred to the Los Angeles offices.

 

            Knowing that it was his time to leave, Taecyeon excused himself from the couple.  As he circled around the room to greet other guests, he noticed from the corner of his eye that Gyuri left the room.  Eunhyuk stayed behind.  Worried for her safety, Taecyeon somehow slipped out of the room and followed her.  She knew that he right behind her, so she left the hotel.  It was to no avail though.

-------

             In the midst of skyscrapers and bustling crowds of Seoul, the small park was the center of action.  Amongst nighttime walkers and couples, a young disputing pair was at each others’ throats with few words.

            Ok Taecyeon stood tall in his solid black Dolce and Gabbana suit and matching coal tie.  His silver cufflinks and Rolex watch recognized his wealth.  Everything about him exuded confidence, but the woman in front of him brought it all down by one simple glance or by the sound of her voice.  Just her presence itself brought him back to reality.

            Park Gyuri, with her petite and goddess-like beauty, looked at him with a sharp glare.  Those seductive eyes were filled with a furious passion.  Her pursed lush cupid lips did not know what to say or what to do.  Despite, her vicious expression, Taecyeon couldn’t help but to acknowledge how beautiful she was.  Still he understood her anger, and could not blame her.  He then noticed how white her fists were from clenching so tightly.  Suddenly the small sparkling one carat diamond band on her wedding finger reminded him of reality. 

            That ring was the symbol of who he couldn’t have, Gyuri.  That ring was not from him.  That ring was from that man.  That ring was the symbol of not being able to hold her, caress her, kiss her, and whisper sweet words.  She was always in his dreams, and he knew that he was in hers too.  He knew that Gyuri shared the same emotions, feelings, and passions as he did.  Resisting their feelings was taking its toll.  He had to act onto his heart’s desires.

            He went against logic and pulled her close to him.  Gyuri’s expressions transformed from anger to shock.  Her eyes opened wide and her jaw dropped.  Despite her conscience lecturing her, she allowed herself to be embraced by him.  Slowly her eyes closed, and she nuzzled in his chest, absorbing what was happening.  Taking in his scent, she realized that it was the same cologne smell that she bought him all those years ago.  She could not but help to smile after their long period of separation.

            He held on to her as though he would never let her go.  His arms wrapped tightly around her waist, but just enough to make her feel safe.  Even though his tall stature dominated hers, her body fitted against his like as if they were molded for one another.  Placing soft kisses on her neck, he caught the scent of honey.  Sweet like she was.  In those moments, he did not care what everyone thought except for Gyuri, she was everything and everyone to him.

            Gyuri loved where she was and what she was doing, but logic regained its control.  She suddenly opened her eyes and pushed Taecyeon away from her, using all of her strength, both physically and emotionally.  Her face returned back to its fuming expression.

            “What are you doing?”  Gyuri yelled.

            Taecyeon responded with shock, “We have been away from each other too long…”

            Tears formed in Gyuri’s eyes, “You hurt me too many times.  I can’t take the pain anymore.  We can’t do this.”  Gyuri gave him a sadden soft glance and started to turn away.

            Taecyeon’s eyes pierced at both his and Gyuri’s bands on their ring fingers, symbols of what stood in their ways.  Still he couldn’t lose her.  His hand quickly grasped Gyuri’s hand before she could get away.

            “Please, stay.”

            She stood there for a moment.  Nothing generated in her mind.  Her eyes travelled to their touching hands.  There on her finger was her wedding ring.  Her promise to Eunhyuk.  Guilt panged her.

            “I’m sorry.”

-------

            After paying the taxi driver, Gyuri was in front of her house.  Too many thoughts raced passed one another.  They could not collect.  As though in automatic mode, she opened her front gate and went inside.

            Once the door opened, she heard the television from the living room.  She walked there to find her mother sleeping on the couch.  Worried for her mother’s being, Gyuri turned off the device and woke her mother up.  At first Sohyun was confused to find her daughter home so early from the party.  However, her caring daughter assured her that everything was fine.  Before continuing on to the rest of the house, Gyuri helped her mother back to the bedroom.

            Next, she walked down the hallway.  She stopped a couple of doors down.  Right now she wanted to see the one she loved and worried for so much.  The one, besides Taecyeon, who was constantly on her mind during the night’s event.  At that moment, she felt like hugging that person so tight to show her love.  She wanted to tell that person “I love you”. 

            Slowly opening the door, she saw that person was fast asleep.  Not wanting to make a sound, Gyuri crept to the bed.  After a long stealthy walk, she saw that one beloved.  She kissed him on the forehead.

            “I love you.”

             “I love you too Mommy.”