Grandpa Joon

Please Stay

 

            The night was a bit cold from the breezes and heavy downpours.  Luckily, Gyuri kept dry while waiting at the valet entrance of the grand luxurious Lotus Hotel.  However, her black shorts and flowy thin silk navy blouse did not shield her from the chilly winds.  It also did not protect her from the arrogant obnoxious rich playboys and their company of female toys for the evening.  Many of them would smirk or wink at her.  Others would wolf whistle or holler at her to join them in their rooms.  Then there were the obviously married ones, with their wives, that would give the greasiest smiles she had ever received.  However, all of them received the same response, the goddess’s infamous stinging glare.  It was the type of glare that could pierce one’s soul and heart, but leave the victim enchanted in some degree. 

            Gyuri could not handle another irritating pig, but she had to wait for her ride, Eunhyuk.  A part of her felt guilty because he was doing her a big favor.  At 4:15 AM, he was tired and finishing another late night of work at his family’s warehouses and shipping yards.  Besides he always helped her or was there for her whenever she needed it. 

            Despite his kindness, tonight was a little different.  She told herself that her source of frustration was broken car in shop.  However, she knew deep inside, the true source was Ok Taecyeon.  Her feelings for him tried to deny that he was at fault.  How could he be?  It was her own fault for putting herself in this situation.  He told her they were friends.  Not boyfriend and girlfriend.  Not lovers.  Not master and mistress.  Just friends.

            Her deep reflecting time was interrupted by her loud ringtone, which brought her back to reality.  It was Eunhyuk.  Finally he responded.

 

Gyuri, I’m really sorry.  Something happened at the warehouse.  Can’t take you home now.  I’m really sorry.  - Eunhyuk

           

            Gyrui couldn’t control herself, but to feel more frustrated.  It was not really the best of times for her.  However, she had to calm down and prepare herself for the walk back home.  Before she could take her first step of the long journey, she felt a something on her bottom.

SMACK

That was it.  She already had to deal with jerks harassing her at the night club she waitressed at.  She did not need to deal with them outside of work.  As sudden as the smack, Gyuri immediately turned around to give this jerk a piece of her mind.  Hands tightly clenched and fiery eyes ready, Gyuri was ready to open .   Then she heard a deep stern voice behind her.

“Dongwoo, you owe this lady an apology.”

In a black Mercedes, there was an older man in his seventies.  He looked like the many wealthy executives that hanged around the hotel with his expensively tailored brand name suit; however, there was something about him.  Unlike the other judgmental and insensitive crowd in this hotel, he had a friendly kind demeanor to him.  The older man stepped out of his car to approach the young spoilt brat, but Dongwoo started to yell.

“So what.  Who said she’s a lady here.  Look at her wrinkled skimpy outfit and messy hair at this time of the night at a hotel.   It seems like she just left from a certain appointment with someone.” 

Then the spoilt brat turned to Gyuri with a greasy smile, “How about you give me a performance of your own.”

After yelling and slurring something, he struggled to dig in his pockets.  Finally, he found a few hundred dollars and tossed them at her, “I can give you more if you want.  You look like you would be worth it.”

Gyuri felt like crying with tears forming in her eyes.  Instead of breaking down, she cleared and marched up to Dongwoo.  Then she returned him the favor, with a smack across the face.  Giving him one last glare, she turned away.  However, Dongwoo was about to hit her, until the old man whacked him with a black-and-silver cane. 

Thankful for this help, Gyuri deeply bowed and continuously gave her gratitude.  The old man surprised her though when he asked her to stand up.

“Young lady, there is no need to thank me.  I apologize for Dongwoo’s behavior.  He is a grandson of a good friend of mines.  His family would never tolerate his actions,” accompanied with a deep bow of his own. 

With a kind smile, the man introduced himself, “The name is Youngjoon, but I prefer to be called Grandpa Joon or Grandpa.  It’s much more relaxed than sir or mister.”

            Gyuri was shocked as she gave Grandpa Joon a hand shake, “Thank you sir, I mean Grandpa Joon.  My name is Park Gyuri.  I’m really thankful for your help.  Don’t worry about me, I’m a tough girl.”

            Grandpa Joon chuckled, “I can tell you can handle yourself, you are not like most women.  Don’t be offended if I ask, but why are you outside so late?”

            Shame crept on her face as she did not want to reveal her reasons, but Grandpa Joon chuckled again.

            “Don’t worry.  I was you age once and fooled around.  Since it’s late, do you need a ride back home?  I’m pretty sure all the taxis are closed for the night.”

            Gyuri was already thankful for Grandpa Joon’s help, and did not want to trouble him, so she immediately responded, “Oh no, it’s okay.  I can walk back home.”

            “Gyuri it is not a good time to be out alone.  I don’t want anything to happen to you like earlier.  You would worry me more if you walk.”

            Despite Joon’s offer, she did not want to trouble him anymore.  However, after he badgered her couple of times with his own agyeo, so she gave in.  Secretly she was glad for this ride home.  The car ride was not awkward, as Grandpa Joon and Gyuri had a lively entertaining conversation. 

            “Gyuri, what did the fish say when he swam to the wall?”  Grandpa Joon asked with a bright smile, trying to hide his giggles.

            With great excitement and laughter Gyuri exclaimed, “I know this one!  Damn!”

            “That is one of my favorite jokes.  I like people who understand play on words.  You’re a rare kid, witty, smart, and beautiful.  You remind me of my grandson.”

            Before Gyuri could ask about his grandson, her phone rang.  Excusing herself from the conversation, she saw that she received a message from Eunhyuk.

 

Gyul sorry about tonight.  Just got off of work, do you need a ride?

 

            A smile crept on Gyuri’s face.  Eunhyuk was always concerned about her.  She quickly wrote a response:

 

It’s okay oppa.  Please get some rest.  You work too hard.

 

            Meanwhile, Grandpa Joon observed this and kept on driving.  After Gyuri finished her text, Grandpa Joon asked, “Special guy?”

            Blushing, Gyuri responded, “He’s special, but not the one for me.”

            As Grandpa Joon saw this, he understood this as a sign to change the conversation’s direction,” Gyuri, what are you doing now?”

            “I’m a waitress at Club Bleu…”

            “What a small world, my grandson’s friend, Wooyoung, owns the place!  Please tell him I said hi.”

            “I will tell Wooyoung.  I’m not planning to stay there too long because I want to open a bakery/café with my friend, Nicole,”  Gyrui said with much admiration.

            Grandpa Joon saw the excitement in Gyuri’s eyes, and said, “I can tell you’re a good kid with passionate goal.  If you need an investor, please ask me. “

            Gyuri couldn’t believe Joon’s kindness, but before she could say anything, they arrived at her apartment.  Before Gyuri left the car, Grandpa Joon stopped her, “Gyuri give me your number.  At least, if I’m not your investor, please let me call you if a job in my company opens up.  It’s rare to find hardworking genuine people from your generation these days. And I want to help.  Here’s my card too.”

            Surprised, thankful, and knowing Grandpa Joon would not take no as an answer, Gyuri typed her phone number into his phone and thanked him continuously for his generosity that night.  Despite her weariness and earlier frustration, Gyuri could only smile as she went up to her place.  When she closed her apartment door, she accidently woke up her best friend and roommate, Nicole.

            “Sorry for coming home late.”

            Giving Gyuri an irritated glance, Nicole asked, “Taecyeon again?”

            Reminded of her heartbreak from earlier that evening, Gyuri slowly nodded.  Nicole could only shake her head, since she never understood Gyuri and Taecyeon’s relationship.  However, Gyuri stopped Nicole from starting a rant about Taecyeon, when she gave a cute puppy smile.

“Nicole can you help me bake a cake later today?”