On the Rooftop

Please Stay

 

            “When you said we’ll eat lunch at your office, I thought you meant your room,” Gyuri trekked up the long flight of stairs, a few steps behind her boyfriend.

            “I know, but I had an idea to switch it up a bit,” Taecyeon turned to face her.

            “The rooftop though?  How about the cafeteria then” Gyuri tried to negotiate with the ambitious man.

            “My dad’s office then?”

            It was silent for a minute.

            “Maybe not.  The roof sounds perfectly fine,” Gyuri reluctantly agreed to, causing him to chuckle.

            Finally after climbing the numerous collection of steps in a creepy dimly lit stairwell, Taecyeon stopped to reach in his pockets a set of keys.  After comparing and shuffling them around, he was able to find a thick grey metal piece with many ridges.  Once he placed it in, he turned it around and shook the knob a bit.  The door opened, to which Taecyeon stepped outside to stretch his arms and took a deep breath.  Gyuri stayed in the staircase.  Seeing this caused him to pull her hand.  She jerked outside and released a high pitch shriek.  However, instead of a gush of wind pushing her away, Gyuri was firmly planted on the ground, clenching onto her boyfriend’s arm like as though she would fly way.

            This was a rare side to the brave charismatic blonde.  Taecyeon tried his best to hold in his chuckles, since she was so darn cute when she was like this.  Wanting to take advantage of this moment, he used his free hand to suddenly touch her clenched arm.  It was nothing big, actually a light pat.  However, she shrilled again and clamped on tighter.  Two seconds later, she realized that it was only her boyfriend spooking her.  This act earned him a few slaps on the arm, while she whimpered.

            Since Gyuri would not budge from her spot, Taecyeon needed to convince her, “Sweetie can you open your eyes?”

            Blinding shaking her head, she snapped at him, “Yes I am able to open my eyes, but I choose not to.”

            “You sarcasm is cute, but do this for me.  Pretty please?” Taecyeon retaliated by using his most manly aegyo tone, so it would discredit his rep as the strong stern boss.

            “Fine then,” she gave in as she opened her right eyes to see if the coast was clear.

            These days Taecyeon surprised her and this added on to the list.  Instead of a fenceless area with gusty winds that had high potential for one to fall off and die, this was quite different.  The rooftop at first reminded her of a greenhouse since the area was covered with glass windows and ceilings.  Outside there were black metal fences surrounding the area for extra protection.  Also  the frames and poles that supported the windows were clear, so it gave outsiders the illusion there was nothing in front of them.   Given a second though, the rooftop slowly started to resemble a glass box, but this did not bother Gyuri.  The windows gave her a sense of safety.  At the same time she was able to embrace the vastness of Seoul, making her feel free.  She noticed that it was quite simple up here with a couple of worn-out plaid couches and a small cheap wood coffee table.  To keep it ventilated, there were air conditioners around the area.  Besides the staircase door was a caged shack that stored odd things like ropes, blankets, coolers, a portable radio, a camping light, and a fire extinguisher.  There was something beautiful about here.  In the middle of the city was such a complex building.  However, there was something secret about it that was simple, but emphasized its beauty.

            “How come you’ve never told me about this?” Gyuri slapped her boyfriend’s arm, then she proceed to twirl around in the free space.

            Taecyeon watched her and shrugged his shoulders, “I don’t know maybe because a certain someone is afraid of heights.  Yet she likes to go hiking and other high structure areas.”

            Gyuri stopped and glared at him, “And now you decided to show me?”

            “I thought now was a good time,” Taecyeon walked behind her and wrapped his hands around her.  Resting his chin on her shoulder, he quickly kissed the nape of neck, “Well how do you like it?”

            Gyuri put her finger to her glossy lips, “Hmmm… I love it.  Especially since you’re here.”

            “That’s what I exactly wanted to hear,” Taecyeon kissed her cheek.  Suddenly there was a vibration between them.  Followed by a loud rumble, that they could hear, “How about we eat then?  I’m starving.”

            That being said, he unwrapped his arms and pulled her to the coffee table.  There were two lunch boxes in a fabric pouch.  Next to it was a large cold green tea pitcher and two cups.  Then she noticed a slice of chocolate cake.  Taecyeon already started setting up a met for them to sit on the ground.  Once he put down all the food, he kicked off his shoes.

            “Don’t kill me with your stinky feet,” Gyuri playfully held her nose as she walked to the mat.

            “You know you want to take off your heels,” Taecyeon pointed at her five inch Louboutins, which were artistically spiked and jeweled.  “As y as you look with them, those deadly spears you call shoes look quite painful.”

            “I’m fine thank you,” she said while carefully trying to sit on the ground.  It was not easy doing everyday task when wearing a short beige Herve Leger dress. 

            “Let me help you there,” Taecyeon said when he pulled her onto his lap.  Once she made herself comfortable, Taecyeon slowly took off her shoes, “How about I give you a foot rub later?”

            “That sounds nice.”

            “Good.  Just curious, how come you’re dressed super duper hot today?  I don’t mean you’re not, but you know…”Taecyeon startled.

            Gyuri placed her index finger onto his lips, “Well can’t a girl be y for her hot boyfriend?”  Then she pointed the tip of his nose.

            “Very very true.  I like it.”

            “Excellent,” she purred, “I wanna eat now.”

-------

            A delicious pork curry meal and a foot rub later, Gyuri closed her eyes and soaked in the peacefulness around her.  She was waiting for Taecyeon, who was looking in the shack for the portable radio.  Even though she was deathly afraid of heights, she felt fine.  Funny to say.  At this point she could understand why Taecyeon liked it here.  This could be their own secret, or maybe a well-kept one amongst whoever knew.  If she had a chance to, she would want to spend more time here.

            “I’m back!” Taecyeon roared while swinging the dusty tiny radio.  Placing the small device on the coffee table, he played around with some of the knobs.  For awhile only sharp noises and buzzes played, until a couple of whacks and dozens of knob turning did a song played.  At first it was unfamiliar to Gyuri, but she recognized the song was in English.  Taecyeon liked to listen to American music when he had the time.  It reminded him of the good times in America.

            “One More Night by Maroon 5,” he informed her once he plopped himself next to her.  He then wrapped his arm around her.

            Gyuri sat there and looked at him.  She knew that he liked living in America and might still be there if it was not for the murder case.  At times she wondered if he wanted to return.  However, she knew what kept from going.  “Do you want to go back?”

            Taecyeon stopped humming the song, “Where?”

            “LA.”

            “At times I wouldn’t mind.  It’s a great place to be.  However, I don’t want to right now,” Taecyeon did not hesitate to respond.

            “Why?” she had an idea, but needed a confirmation.

            “I have you.  Before I used to think that home was a place where one eats and sleeps.  Then I met you.  You taught me that home is a place where all my loved ones are.  Especially the one I love the most,” Taecyeon touched his forehead against hers.

            “How would you feel about moving there?”

            “With you?”

            Gyuri nodded her head.

            “Definitely yes,” Taecyeon pecked her lips.  His face puzzled a bit “What about work?  Your friends?  Your family?”

            “I just thought about it.  Before we get there I can look a job or maybe take some more English classes to polish my skills.  Then during the winter or summer we can visit here.  Besides when it comes to family, aren’t you the one talking about four kids?” Gyuri’s eyebrow slightly raised at the last part.

            “Even though it’s a starting plan.  That doesn’t sound bad at all,” Taecyeon smiled as he raised both him and Gyuri up.

            The sudden pull caused her to giggle, “What are you doing?”

            “Can’t a guy dance with his girlfriend?” Taecyeon said as he put Gyuri’s arms around his neck.  Then he put his arms around her waist.  Even though they didn’t move to the beat of the song, they slowly swayed around the rooftop.  Moments into the song, Gyuri rested her head onto his chest.  Following after her, Taecyeon put his chin on top of her head.  Towards the end of the song, he hit something behind him and both fell on top of the couch.

            They giggled.  Then he caressed her cheek, “You’re so Gyuri.”

            “That is my name,” she giggled again, having their noses touch.

            “I know, but using Venus or Aphrodite can be old school.  Now I think the proper modern term is Gyuri,” Taecyeon was being a cheeky one.

            “Oh you,” the embarrassed, but delighted, woman said as she kissed her boyfriend.

            They just laid on the couch until they fell asleep.  Time slipped away. 

RING

            “Yobo I think that’s your phone,” Gyuri groaned as she felt a vibration from Taecyeon’s suit jacket.  Despite her affectionate name for him was for married couples, they used it.  At times they seemed to act like one.

            The sleepy male blindly reached for his phone.  Then he saw that Seungyeon was calling.

            “Hello…” Taecyeon mumbled.

            “Don’t you know that it’s 3 PM?” the frazzled secretary informed him.

            This caused the vice president to quickly rise up, causing Gyuri to fully wake up.  Shaken up, Gyuri checked her watch and started to panic too.

            “Good thing you called Hamster.  I need-” he thanked his secretary.

            “You need to be at your office right now,” Seungyeon’s voice went one octave lower.