Apples and Pears

Please Stay

 

            Ok Taecyeon sat inside All Day Café for the past twenty minutes waiting for Im Yoona.  His leg was ferociously quivering, causing the table to shake.  Fingers tapped against the table.  Eyes bounced the walls, trying to scan the room.  Where could she be?  Maybe she wanted to be fashionably late.  He did not remember her like that though.  Before she used to be the earliest one when meeting for events.

            This scene continued for a few more minutes, until he felt a tap on the shoulder.  Turning his head, Taecyeon saw a tall slim woman in a fancy designer white dress.  Im Yoona.  Immediately recognizing her, he stood up from his seat and greeted her.  She did the same in return.  When their eyes met, Taecyeon noticed that Yoona was checking out his outfit.  Today he wore dark jeans, a black shirt, and a nice pair of Adidas kicks.  He dressed much more casually than her.  For a moment, there was a disapproving expression on her face.  However, that quickly changed to an excited look.

            “Ok Taecyeon, it’s been too long!  Give me a hug instead,” Yoona had her arms out wide.  This was very different form the Yoona he once knew.  She used to meekly mumble hi to him, and then turn her back in shame.

            “Uh, yeah,” Taecyeon awkwardly stumbled, as he reluctantly gave her a hug.  She held on to him tightly while she started rubbing his lower back.  His eyes popped open.  For a moment, he could had sworn that she nuzzled her head into his neck and whiffed a scent from him.  It was not like he smelled terrible.  In fact, he just showered and sprayed himself with the cologne that Gyuri bought him recently.  On the other hand, he just lightly hugged her, barely putting his arms around her.

            Once Yoona finally released him, Taecyeon helped her into her seat.  After Taecyeon pushed her chair into the table, he realized that his mind was empty.  As he went back to his chair, he did not know what to do.   Anxiety was building up, and almost burst once he saw across from Yoona.  He r head titled to the side and hands together with a strange smile, Taecyeon was now lost.  Unlike those few seconds ago, his mind was stormed with millions of questions.  What to say?  What to ask?  What was next?  Heck, he did not even know how to start.

            This brainstorm suddenly stopped when he heard her say something about jackets and being cold.  Seeing that her white dress was sleeveless, he passed her his beat leather jacket.  Yoona was surprised, but miffed when she figured out that he would not put it on for her.  However, she placed it on herself and went back to staring at his confused face.

            Finally he broke the silence, “Despite how tumultuous things were with Yubin.  I really miss her.”

            “Wait, who?”  Yoona was caught off guard, “Oh yeah.  Yubin… I guess I miss her.”

            The old Yoona used to cling onto Yubin.  Always ask where she was.  Always check up on her.  Always stick to her side.  No matter what, Yubin was fine with this.  They were like sisters.  How could Yoona act so cold now towards her?

            Taecyeon sat there puzzled at her response, but continued on, “Have you been asked to testify?”

            “Of course I was asked.  Remember that idiot put me in a coma.”

            Guilty, Taecyeon apologized, “I forgot about that for a moment.  I’m sorry.  Have you been feeling better since?”

            Joyful by his concern, Yoona smiled, “I’m feeling better now, especially now that you asked.”

            Taecyeon was shocked, but he brushed off the last part of her sentence. “So are you going to testify?”

            “Well yeah.  What about you?”

            “I’m thinking about it, but I probably will.  I want to plan it out before-“

            “Were you involved or something?”

            Sitting with his jaw dropped, Taecyeon was taken aback that she would accuse him.  Then again, he thought to himself, he did look suspicious.  On the other side of the table, Yoona read his expression.  She had a straight look on her face.

            “It’s just that after the murders, you fled.  Yubin’s mom thought it was you when she heard that.  Also Yubin got back together with Donghae, so everyone thought you would be mad.  However, I was mad that she left you for him.  If I was her, I would never leave you.”

            Yoona grabbed Taecyoen’s hands.

            “I always knew you weren’t the culprit,” she continued, smiling at him.

            Surprised at her bold action, Taecyeon quickly pulled his hands away. 

“Yoona, I have a girlfriend.”  

            “I’m sure you did not mind what I just did,” she replied back slyly.

            “Yes I do.  I love her so much, and wouldn’t do anything to hurt her.  She’s been put through too much.”

            “If you’ve hurt her that much, then let her go already,”  Yoona’s patience was dwindling.

            “I’m sorry, but if you’re going to behave like his, I’m leaving,”  Taecyeon boldly threatened as he stood up from the table.  People nearby were watching this fiasco.

            “Wait…don’t go,” Yoona grasped one of his arms.  He tried to jerk it off, but she clung on tighter.  “It’s just that you remind me of my past and what I want now, a friend.”

            Feeling sympathetic for her, Taecyeon led Yoona back to her seat.  Then he sat in his.  He motioned for her to continue on, as he gave her some tissues.  Teary eyed, she accepted them and gently wiped her face.

            “Back in LA, I was so lonely.  If people were my friends, they wanted something from me.  Not Yubin though, she was a true friend.  She genuinely cared for me and gave me the love I needed, being in LA with no family.  Then she died.  I was lost because I had no one again, so I decided to get a makeover like she always suggested.  She was the only person who thought I was pretty.  I went through the transformation and returned to Korea.  However, now it’s like LA again.  People only want to get close to me because of something, whether it’s my family, wealth, or popularity.  Seeing you reminded me of Yubin, I just want a friend.  Like her again,” Yoona broke down into tears.

            “Well you can consider me a friend,” Taecyeon said with a warm smile on his face.  He stood up, and pulled her up.  She was surprised at first.  Then he gave her a friendly hug.  As he held on to her, she had a strange smile on her face.

-------

            Gyuri sat at the door of her childhood home, waiting for her man.  One finger twirled her hair in boredom, wondering if he could arrive faster.  He said he would be here ten minutes ago.  She looked at her cell phone for the hundredth time.  She pouted.  He was suppose to be here eleven minutes ago.

            “Gyuri?” one of the neighborhood grannies, Mrs. Ahn greeted her.  She had a warm smile.

            Gyuri got up and gave a deep bow, “Good afternoon Mrs. Ahn.  How are you today?”

            “Oh I’m fine my child,” Mrs. Ahn chuckled, “What are you doing sitting on this dusty dirt ground?”

            “Waiting for my boyfriend,” Gyuri sighed.

            “That Ok Taecyeon?  I’m really proud of you.  Despite all of the neighborhood mistreating you and your mother since your childhood, you’re one of the best out of everyone here.  Beautiful, smart, well-mannered, terrific job, and wonderful boyfriend.  I wish my granddaughter, Sohee, could be like you instead of fooling around…”

            “Mrs. Ahn, thank you for your kind words,” Gyuri blushed, but was interrupted by a familiar car honk.  There was Taecyeon with his head out of the window with a huge grin on his face.

            Mrs. Ahn chuckled when she saw this, “I’ll get going.  I see a bright future for you two.”

            Gyuri waved, “Bye Mrs. Ahn!”

            Once Taecyeon parked his car and stepped out, Gyuri ran to him for a bear hug.  Holding his waist and tenderly rubbing his back, Gyuri pouted, “You’re late.”

            “I’m sorry babe, but I brought your favorite apples and pears,” Taecyeon teased as he kissed her forehead.

            Gyuri twirled a bit in his arms, “Hmm… I guess the fruits can compensate for you tardiness.  Besides that, how did it go?”

            “I decided I’ll go to LA.”

            This caused her to jump so she could peck his lips, “I’m so proud of you.”