there's no peak

The children go hiking!

“Are we there yet?” Yongsun asks exasperatedly for the millionth time that day. “You said it will be a short hike to the top! Guess what, Byul? That was forty-five minutes ago!”

Byul abruptly stops on her tracks—making the older bump on her back—and turns around. “Well, Yong, if you channeled your energy into walking instead of complaining, we would reach the top much faster.”

Yongsun scoffs, lifting a fist to smack the younger, but the latter quickly turned around and kept walking.

Why, she thinks, did she agree to this anyway?

It was a Friday night when Yongsun received a call. She had spent the whole day—or the week rather—lounging around her house binge watching the dramas and shows she added on her list two months ago. With all the practice sessions, events, and festivals, the members and her barely had enough time to themselves. So to finally have that week off, it was the most peaceful state Yongsun has ever been in in a while.

That does not mean a week off does not have its downsides.

The downside of having a week off is that she can’t call and ask the members if they want to binge watch with her. A week off means that the members will be out to do their own stuff too. Wheein will probably be somewhere devoting her time on her art. Hyejin will probably be visiting her dad. And Byul will probably be off to a place where she can practice her photography.

Besides, she just wants company because she’s used to seeing her members everyday for the past few months.

Or that’s what she tells herself. Yes, that must be it. She wants company after isolating herself for a peaceful and healing week in front of the television and not because she’s missing a certain person. (Not that she’ll ever admit it out loud if the latter happened to be true.)

That's why when her phone rang and she saw the caller ID, she quickly answered and agreed. (She will then think back on a Sunday afternoon and admit that she may have been more focused on the voice itself rather than what the voice on the other end of the line was saying.)

Byul shows up at her doorstep the next day on the break of dawn clad in a cool hiking outfit with a duffel bag in hand, greeting her with a it’s about time you finally agreed, unnie! and practically dragged Yongsun out of her apartment when she realized she made a mistake and tried to get back in the comfort of her bed.

That was three hours ago when Byul drove out of her neighborhood with her practically chained with a seatbelt on the passenger seat. And Yongsun doubts they will reach the peak in this same hour.

At this point, she even doubts if there is even one.

“Byul.”

“Hmm?”

“Byulyi.”

“Yes?”

“Byul-ah.”

“Unnie.”

“Byul.”

The said girl groaned at the mention of her name and turned around—once again—to appease the leader. “What is it, Yongsun?”

Yongsun stopped walking and innocently smiled. “Are we there yet?”

The younger only rolled her eyes in response and continued walking, but not before wiping the thin line of sweat on Yongsun’s forehead with her sleeve. “We’ll get there when we get there Yong. It will be worth it, I promise.”

“It better be, Moon Byulyi, because otherwise I swear I will push you off the top and I won’t feel sorry,” Yongsun says after a beat, feeling the blood rush to her cheeks. She blames it on the exercise and not the small gesture Byul did.

Yongsun follows behind quietly—or as quiet as her constant mumbling allows. She can’t help it. She made it a point to practice pole dancing on her spare time on top of her Pilates sessions for her back but hiking or any outdoor exercise is a whole other ball game.

“Can you please stop muttering?”

“No, I’m sorry. You don’t get to have that when we’re nowhere near the top.”

“You just complained not five minutes ago!”

“Be glad it even lasted that long. I should be complaining nonstop about this!”

“Alright, that’s it. If you’re so adamant about complaining the whole way, you might as well stop walking here then.”

“Fine!”

“Fine!”

With that, Yongsun stomped her way towards the side and sat on a huge rock, looking at the back of the younger who continued to walk, leaving her behind.

This is not supposed to be like this. This was supposed to be a short hike to a great view with her favorite person. In the car, she imagined it would be a leisurely uphill walk that maybe she can slip a handhold in between, a playful banter on the side, and maybe some flirting.

But here she is, tired and sweating in the middle of a hike to an inexistent peak.

She buries her head on her hands, massaging her head with her fingertips to help calm herself down.

She fails to hear the crackling of fallen leaves near her and she fails to notice the lone figure walking up to her. It is only when a pair of hands grabbed both of her wrists, pulled her up for an embrace and was surrounded by a familiar warmth that she realized that Byul went back for her.

“You’re such a child sometimes,” Byul says as she nuzzles the top of Yongsun’s head. “You’re worse than a newborn. I don’t know what to do with you sometimes.”

Yongsun punches the younger’s shoulder and a familiar chuckle reaches her ears.

When they pulled out of the embrace, they both find themselves in a trance. Just staring and appreciating, an everyday occurrence when they were at work, behind the scenes or before they go on stage. It’s the first time in a while and Yongsun’s heart can’t help but feel full.

It reminds Yongsun so much of home and so she smiles.

Byul has the sudden urge to kiss her on the forehead, so she does. Then she turns around and crouches, offering her back. “Hop on.”

Although hesitant at first, Yongsun hops on and secures her position by wrapping her arms around Byul’s neck. “Is this your way of apologizing?”

“In any case, you should be the one apologizing, unnie,” Byul says, receiving another smack on her shoulder. “See, all I ever receive are slaps. I need love, too, you know.” Earning her another slap.

Yongsun felt the younger tighten her hold on her legs right before she says, “The slaps are worth it though. I missed you, Yong.”

Yongsun plants a kiss on Byul’s temple in agreement before burying herself in the crook of Byul’s neck. Inhaling her favorite scent in the world. “I missed you too.”