What We Wish For

What We Wish For

 

 

          The gentle salty waves repetitively against my bare feet. I lay in the soft sand, still hot from the midday sun, even though it was just beginning to set. My shoes lay scattered behind me, the laces half buried in pebbles. The ocean was like smooth paper being gently waved. The sheets of shining water frothed and flecks of salt sparkled iridescently through the freezing air. Millions of indefinable hues, heliotrope, cerulean, coral, reaching across the entire spectrum.
 
          Just as peaceful as the mist reaching up my legs, soft tears rolled down my cheeks in one continuous movement. My eyes burned from the spray but they were not the cause of my tears. 
I reached up a surprisingly placid hand to brush away the tears obscuring my eyes and a flash of ink obscured my vision. I pushed my fringe out of my face and into the crook behind my ear to get a better view of the sunset. 
 
          The sun was just dipping into the sea. It looked like it was melting into the now blazing sea almost as if it were burning through the water. It reflected sending a range of fiery rage, hysterical orange and numb yellow across the sky. The small ripples in the water caused by the slight breeze, shattered rays of sunlight into the sky. The clouds tinged by the sunset were in one long unbroken spiral, in an impromptu vortex overpowering everything. 
 
          As I sat there and looked out at the end of another day, I wondered. What if it hadn’t been us? What if it hadn’t been today? Why? Surely, this was the fate I always knew would happen, but why now? Why… Why?
 
          There was a soft squeeze of my hand. I averted my eyes away from the breath-taking scene playing around the seafront and turned to see Key looking up at me half-asleep, searching for my face through watery eyelashes. 
 
          “I… dreamt.” He paused and closed his eyes. “That none of this was happening, and we could still be together for ever.” There was a pause as Key took a few breaths and I felt my heart shatter. 
 
         The small boy looked even tinier as I compared him to the encompassing sky. 
 
         I slight intake of air mingled with the whoosh of water. 
 
         “Can we just run away Jonghyun? Can we just get away from this life where no-one will accept us and go live together without their interference?”
 
         The only noise my ears could perceive now was the gentle roar of azure. He had stopped speaking, so I turned slowly towards him.
 
         Key’s ebony hair was caught by the wind. More tears down the inside of my cheeks and dropped slowly into the sand in front of me. The tiny salty peppering sunk deep into the sand. 
 
         He shocked me by speaking again in a calm voice. I had not expected him to speak so suddenly. 
 
         “You know, lets do it Jonghyun. Let’s go. Now. There‘s no other way.” 
 
         I blinked. Key’s words hung in the air between us, rolling on the waves, waving in the heat of the sun. I pondered his words. 
 
         “I know.” I whispered to him after what seemed like a long time. 
 
         However, he was asleep. He still held my hand, breathing little puffs of warm salty air, completely oblivious to me. Oblivious to the beach. Oblivious to the world. 
 
         As I sat there listening to the steady pulse in his hand, the ascending roar in my ears from the approaching tide and the sorrowful seagulls, I thought. 
 
         More tears dropped from my eyes, but I sat there thinking. The thoughts that were jumbled all in my head made absolutely no sense, however I attempted to look at them. Too many things had happened, too many things had been told to me. 
 
         The only thing that seemed real to me was the steady pulse of life that was connected between our two hands pressed together on the beach. The sign of life was so calming and reassuring I grasped it with all my might to keep it from disappearing. 
 
         It was only when the sun completely sank beneath the calm far out part of the now indigo ocean, that my dreaming broke and I came back to the present. 
 
         As I pulled the sleeping boy into my arms and carried him over the now cool sand, I did not say a word. It was only the haunted seagulls whose cries nearly pulled me back. And as the shadows crept up gradually all around us, I turned my back on the peaceful place we had been all day and returned to reality. 
 

Comment what you thought please ^^; *begs*