V

Don't

"Oh, Wonpil..." Sungjin says, when he stops scrambling the eggs.

"Oh, that's his name," Jaebum comments quietly.

"Yeah," Wonpil replies, feeling like an idiot for not texting or calling beforehand, for showing up in Sungjin's turtleneck so he can return it, for just standing there.

"Did you need-"

"I just forgot something, but I'll get it another time," he cuts Sungjin off, hurrying to just leave.

"Would you like to stay for breakfast?" Jaebum offers, holding a mug close to his chest. The offer is degrading, and Wonpil just shakes his head,

"Didn't mean to interrupt, so I'll get going,"

"Wait-" but Wonpil's speeding down the hall before Sungjin can call out his name. Jaebum awkwardly clears his throat,

"Should I- Uh... Should I close the-"

"Yeah." Sungjin answers before he resumes making breakfast.

Wonpil's mentally beating himself up the whole the elevator ride down, scolding himself for thinking he could just show up to Sungjin's door, berating this feeling of unjustified jealousy. Sungjin isn't his boyfriend - just holds the title for business reasons. So, he can have whoever he wants over at his apartment. He can share clothes with whoever he wants, Wonpil isn't special. Last night, Sungjin said he'd take of that business, and looks like he did. 

He hastily gets to his office, deciding to busy himself with company things because he's annoyed at how emotionally invested he is in something that's not going to prosper. Unreasonable business move that benefits neither parties - he needs to remove personal emotion from this project.

So, he focuses on other things for the company, dealing with emails from partners, researching projects that have great potential that they could possibly fund, discussing future products with designers and developers. 

He successfully distracts himself, becoming productive and essentially returning to his routine before this whole mess with Sungjin. 

 

When Wonpil left that night, Sungjin smiled as he kept the sweater in the kitchen, retiring to his room for the night. He likes the way Wonpil plays music, like there's nothing in this world he'd rather be doing that just that. It's like how he plays. 

He finishes taking a shower and is about to retire to bed when he hears a knock at the door. He wonders if Wonpil came back after dealing with the quick business and a smile creeps onto his face as he thinks about the possibility of resuming where they left off - Wonpil under him and breathless with spots of red and purple starting to show through on his neck. So Sungjin opens the door, and the smile completely drops when he sees Jaebum, struggling to stand straight.

"Sungjin-ah,"

"What're you doing here?"

"I missed you." 

"You're drunk."

"I had a couple of drinks," his speech his slurred just slightly.

"Jaebum..."

"C'mon, aren't you gonna invite me in?" he asks and Sungjin stares at him. Contemplating, slightly wishing he had opened the door to see Wonpil and not this. And still, he opens the door and Jaebum walks in. Jaebum looks around, a slightly wobble to his steps as Sungjin warily watches him. He nearly trips on the patch cable and Sungjin instinctively catches him.

"Thanks," he says with a sweet smile and Sungjin doesn't reply.

"Why are you here, Jaebum?"

"I said I missed you."

"No you don't... And you can't just come here whenever you want."

"You still let me in though,"

"To offer to call you a cab."

"Where's the offer?"

"Nowhere because I know you're not gonna take it." Jaebum turns to look at Sungjin with a cheeky smile, points a finger,

"See! You know me!" he says and Sungjin sighs.

"You haven't changed much here," he comments,

"I don't really care for interior design."

"Is that my stuff?"

"Yeah. Take it back with you when you leave."

"You kept these?" Jaebum asks, going through the box and Sungjin can't stop him because they are his things.

"They weren't mine to throw out," Jaebum inspects various photos of him and Sungjin that he would get developed. He pulls out some sweaters or shirts that he honestly can't remember if they were his or Sungjin's.

Jaebum slumps down with a thud and Sungjin's eyes widen slightly as he makes his way to his side,

"Hey, you okay?" 

Sungjin places a reluctant supporting arm on his back as Jaebum leans into his embrace. Jaebum looks up at him before pulling Sungjin down, connecting their lips. Sungjin habitually kisses back, getting over the initial shock after feeling the familiar pair of lips that know his own so well not even a second after contact. It's only when the kiss deepens, tongues wandering and Sungjin placing his hand on the floor to support himself, that he realizes he shouldn't be doing this. So he pulls away, Jaebum his lips as he's about to lean in again,

"Don't," Sungjin says, turning away and getting up,

"Why not? We've done worse," Jaebum says with a smirk,

"When we were together." he points out, and Jaebum nods.

"Fair." Jaebum gets up himself, walking to the kitchen,

"You had pizza?" 

"Yeah," 

"You don't even like pizza," 

"This one was pretty good," Sungjin says with a small smile, not knowing if he was referring to the pizza or the person who delivered it.

"Have some," he says, putting 2 slices in the microwave,

"You need to eat so you can sober up."

"How do you know I drank on an empty stomach?" he asks, leaning on the island and swaying slightly,

"I don't, I just want you to sober up so you can go home."

"Are you sure you want me to go home?" 

They stare at each other for a couple of moments. Jaebum has always been Sungjin's weak spot, even after a rough break-up, after Jaebum suddenly left him because he "lost the love" for Sungjin. The microwave dings, and Sungjin leaves that question unanswered, turning to grab the pizza. And yet, despite him being his weak spot, Sungjin manages to tell him. 

"Eat then leave, please." 

That's not what happens though. Jaebum does eat while Sungjin finishes his night time routine, retreating to his room for a few minutes to let Jaebum eat in silence. When Sungjin returns to the living room, he doesn't find Jaebum at the island, but instead on the couch, eyes closed as he's mumbling something about the itis that hit after the pizza. 

"Jaebum, really?" Sungjin asks,

"Please, let me stay the night. I'm so tired."

Sungjin looks down at the man who can barely open his eyes to uphold this conversation, so he sighs.

"No, c'mon, don't do this-"

"Please." Jaebum knows he's Sungjin's weak spot. But above that, he knows how kind Sungjin is.

"You're sleeping out here." Sungjin orders, and even the intoxicated Jaebum can hear the irritation in his voice. Sungjin walks back to his room,

"Wait," 

"What?" he groans, 

"Do you have something for me to wear? I'm not comfy in this,"

"Should've thought about that before choosing to crash at my place,"

"Sungjin, please," and Sungjin groans before going into his room and grabbing the first sweater he sees,

"That's your blanket." he says after throwing it, the sweater landing on Jaebum,

"Thank you," he says, and starts getting comfortable on the couch.

Sungjin finds slight comfort within the bit of confidence that tells him he probably wouldn't have let Jaebum stay if he wasn't drunk, takes lame pride in the way he didn't let the kiss escalate. Jaebum may be his weak spot, but maybe that's changing. He sees Wonpil's sweater on his bed before he folds it away, telling himself he'll give that back soon, before slipping off his shirt and getting into bed.

The next morning he gets up, doesn't bother putting on a shirt out of habit and goes to the kitchen. 

"Jesus," he whispers after jumping a little at the sight of Jaebum making coffee,

"Morning," Jaebum says, handing him a mug,

"Morning." Sungjin replies before he starts making breakfast. 

"Can you leave after breakfast? I have things to do today." he says as he reaches in the fridge and takes out some eggs,

"Yeah... Thanks." and that's all they say to each other. Jaebum knows Sungjin's only doing this because he's kind. Sungjin's in the middle of scrambling eggs when there's a knock at the door, and Jaebum says he'll get it.

 

"Knock knock," 

Wonpil looks up from his paperwork to see Jinyoung at the door of his office,

"Oh, Jinyoung-ah," he says,

"You got here early, you didn't even ask me to drive you,"

"Yeah, I just wanted to focus today."

"Seungmin told me you were in a bad mood," Jinyoung says, leaning on the glass,

"What? I am not... Tell Seungmin to mind his own business,"

"Not a bad mood you say?"

It's been a while since they've joked like this so Wonpil takes it. He takes off his glasses, and rubs his face with a groan.

"I'm pissy for a stupid reason, and if I were to tell you I'd just get angrier because it's so stupid-"

"Hey, it's okay... I didn't ask," Jinyoung points out, he shakes the keys of Wonpil's car,

"C'mon,"

"What, where?"

"For lunch. I doubt you've eaten anything since you got here,"

"I haven't been here that long,"

"Seungmin says you were here before he clocked in,"

"So what?"

"Seungmin starts at 8, it's currently 1pm."

"Seungmin, I swear-" Wonpil exhales,

"Exactly. It hasn't even been that long," he replies,

"You like eating practically every hour,"

"Well, I'm just not hungry today!"

"'Cause you're cranky and your empty stomach isn't making it better, so let's go." Wonpil gives Jinyoung a pout,

"You know, I was perfectly distracted before you came,"

"Yes yes, sir," Jinyoung says as Wonpil slips on his jacket and they exit, Wonpil pointing out how Jinyoung shouldn't use that title while he's this irritated.

Jinyoung drives them to a nearby restaurant that Wonpil loves, it's where they used to eat almost weekly before their relationship got messy. Wonpil and Jinyoung have been best friends since they ran into each other at the Kim estate. Jinyoung's family ran a small business and had connections with the Kim's, based on old friendship and loyalty. Wonpil remembers the day Jinyoung went from being his best friend, to being his driver in order to repay the debt of his parents. One bad business decision, and the Kims called it mercy, called it a favour after their years of friendship, called it better than them cutting off all ties and not providing any financial support. Wonpil and Jinyoung call it the adult decision that ruined a pure childhood friendship, so Wonpil hates when Jinyoung uses work titles. He hates that he's responsible for Jinyoung's hours, and he would pay off everything instantly if Jinyoung would just let him. He misses his best friend, he misses the days they would joke around, go get food - be normal young adults. But now, he has to settle for the tough love Jinyoung demonstrates, like taking Wonpil out for lunch when's upset.

"What're you gonna order? I'm stuck between 2..."

"Thought you weren't hungry," Jinyoung muses,

"Can I get #12 and you get #36 so we can share?" Wonpil ignores, and Jinyoung just smiles.

"Yeah, we'll just do that."

"Yes!" Wonpil cheers, quietly, with a lame pump of his fist and Jinyoung laughs.

Their food comes and Wonpil is almost immediately in a better mood. 

"So," Jinyoung starts, 

"Hm?" the other responds, cheeks full with water as he sets his glass down.

"How's that fake boyfriend situation?" and Wonpil's small, content smile falls slowly.

"I'm still figuring out how to get him out. We should just 'break up' at this point,"

"Why didn't you do that to begin with?"

"We had to extend the relationship just a little for it to be convincing. He stopped a wedding... Do you know how angry my parents would be if they found out we weren't even really in a relationship?"

"I feel like that would've been easier." Jinyoung points out,

"Then, the anger just goes straight to him, and you're not caught up in the mess,"

"He got caught up in my mess. I don't want my parents ruining some random guy's life, he's a music professor... And he seems to love what he does, it's really admirable." and Jinyoung hums in thought.

"You like him, don't you?"

Wonpil chokes on the spoonful of rice and Jinyoung snorts,

"W-What, no!"

"No use lying to me. You like being with him," he says,

"If you didn't like the idea of being with him, you would've broken up with him a long time ago."

"Wha- No! No, I don't- Okay, listen." Jinyoung muses at the stutter and offended expression,

"If we didn't run into him at the cafe that morning, it wouldn't have gotten this messy. We'll break things off soon."

"Do you want to though?"

"I thought you brought me out for lunch to distract me?"

"I didn't know he was the reason. Plus, as your best friend I'm entitled to tease you," 

Wonpil gasps,

"Did you just call yourself my best friend?"

"Yeah. I'm off the clock, lunch break," and Wonpil rolls his eyes, but settles for it.

"Ugh, I'm so annoyed! I'm an adult. I don't have time to entertain feelings,"

"Funnily enough, my friend, people our age do entertain feelings. Just not future family company heads,"

"Exactly."

"It's not a crime to develop feelings, Wonpil-ah,"

"Yeah, I know... It's just not a smart investment. It's like buying stocks in an unstable market that can crash at anytime,"

"But you know with that business mindset, you would've 'broken up' with him the minute you ran into him at that cafe." 

"I don't need you to point these things out,"

"What else am I for? Other than driving you around," and sighs in defeat,

"Is he a good guy?"

"Yeah, I think so.."

"Does he like you too?"

Wonpil recalls the scene from this morning which triggered his bad mood.

"Probably not."

"You sure?" 

"Not sure, but I've got a pretty solid idea..." and Jinyoung notices the way Wonpil's eyes sadden just slightly.

"Really? 'Cause I'm not too sure about you, but if I didn't have feelings for someone I doubt I'd endure a fake relationship. Especially if I have nothing to gain from it." Jinyoung points out and that leaves Wonpil wondering, but thoughts tainted with hope gets cut off in intervals with the image of Jaebum in a sweater that matched shirtless Sungjin's pants. They catch up, almost normally, and Wonpil genuinely enjoys the lunch and is thankful Jinyoung swept him away from his office for a bit. 

Jinyoung drives Wonpil back to the building and Wonpil has a content smile as he rides the elevator up but it drops when he gets back to his office.

"Oh..."

"Wonpil," Sungjin says with a warm smile. Wonpil assumes he hasn't been waiting long, but he has been waiting. His phone is in his hands and his jacket is folding and resting around his arm, on top of it is Wonpil's sweater.

"Sungjin, what're you doing here?"

"I came to return this," he says,

"Ah, but you weren't answering my calls," he adds, showing his phone,

"Oh. Yeah, I turned off my phone,"

"You can turn off your phone even when you're working? What if partners try to contact you?"

"No, not that phone-" Wonpil catches himself,

"So you gave me your personal number!" Sungjin says, as if triumphantly and Wonpil has to suppress a smile. 

"How did you know I was here?" he asks, walking into his office and avoiding eye contact as Sungjin stays at the doorway, hesitant to come in.

"You said you usually work from here."

"Yeah, but how did you even get in here? You need ID,"

"It seems security recognizes me as your boyfriend," Wonpil almost despises the way Sungjin uses the title so casually. But then again, it's not like they're actually dating. So his irritation just gets worse when Sungjin says,

"Are..." he treads understandably carefully,

"Are you mad at me?" 

Wonpil freezes, hands hovering over the keyboard.

"No. Why would I be mad at you?"

"Well, you turned your phone off..."

"So I could focus,"

"You don't look to pleased to see me,"

"That's just my expression,"

"No it's not,"

"What do you know, Sungjin?" he snaps, his anger and attitude unwarranted he knows. 

"What?"

"This could just be my expression, in fact, it probably is. You've never seen me at work, doing the I've been brought up to take over!"

"Woah, okay, calm down." Sungjin starts, getting closer to his desk,

"Everyone knows telling someone to calm down angers them more,"

"Why are you angry?"

"Because of you!" he says,

"'Cause of me, because I'm being annoying, because I snapped at you for no valid reason! I'm angry because this morning completely ruined my day when it shouldn't." Wonpil says, hands on his desk, looking at Sungjin whose eyes go wide at the mention of the incident this morning.

"I have no reason to be feeling this way and that makes me angrier."

Sungjin looks at him and it's quiet. Wonpil can't internally decipher if he's embarrassed, angry, or sad. The silence lasts for a few minutes, Wonpil no longer having the courage to look at Sungjin, and just utters out a weak,

"Can you please leave?"

"I didn't do anything with Jaebum." Wonpil's eyes widen just a bit, but stay focused on his screen,

"This morning... I can guess what you would assume, but I'm telling you nothing happened between us."

"Stop, I don't need-"

"He came by last night and was drunk. I know I shouldn't have let him stay, but he slept on the couch, he didn't set a single foot in my room. We're exes, and we're not getting back together."

"Sungjin, you don't need to explain yourself."

"But I want to." Wonpil looks up at him, finally.

"I want you to understand, because the time I spent with you last night made me so, so," he closes his eyes, as if reminscing, then looks at Wonpil with the warmest smile,

"Happy." he completes before continuing,

"I want to explain the scene this morning, I want you to know that if we switched roles I would be irritated too, so no, your feelings aren't invalid."

"Yes they are! This jealousy has no basis, and I hate the fact that I admit that it's jealousy because you're my fake boyfriend! We're not together-" 

"Oh my God," Sungjin whispers before he leans down and kisses Wonpil. It's almost desperate, but more than anything it's affirming.

"We didn't do anything. I know you saw me shirtless, saw him in my sweater, but I can guarantee you, you and I did more last night than Jaebum and I did."

Wonpil loves the way Sungjin kisses him. Which is why instead of replying, he gets up from behind his desk and stands in front of Sungjin before connecting their lips again. He wraps his arms around Sungjin's neck and Sungjin picks him up to sit him on his desk, an office romance Wonpil never imagined. They keep kissing, Sungjin keeping one of his hand on Wonpil's thigh, the other on his waist. Wonpil adores the way Sungjin likes to hold him while they kiss. 

"Even if you did, that's not my business," Wonpil presses on, slightly breathless,

"Huh?"

"If you and Jaebum did anything, that's not my business,"

"Why're you being so stubborn when I like you too?"

"If this is pity because I'm upset about this morning, please don't-"

"It's not pity. It's genuine interest in you because you showing up at my door to apologize last night was sweet and cute. It's sincere feelings because getting to know you, not necessarily the business you, but the you who plays piano and sings, the you who apparently likes French, who doesn't like celery because of the way it squeaks, who does math calculations when making a bet, who goes down a rabbit hole of animal videos when you're trying to sleep, who dyed his hair red because that was his way of rebelling but it ended up looking stunning," Sungjin says that one with a laugh and Wonpil's failing to suppress a smile because Sungjin listed little things. Miniscule details about Wonpil that he mentioned in passing over good pizza and better wine, things that Wonpil doesn't even know why he mentioned.

"You're also pretty hot." Wonpil scoffs and Sungjin continues talking before he can deny it,

"I get it. Dating people is probably not the best for you. You're rich, don't know who's here for you or your money... But can I get credibility points for stopping your wedding 'cause I can't type in an address in the GPS?"

Wonpil knows Sungjin's a genuine person. Humble, down to earth, funny - just a raw human - and everything comforting, everything the people around him throughout his whole life never had.

"I want to be with you, Wonpil." Sungjin affirms,

"I want to be with you too," he admits,

"But it's not that simple-"

"I know." are the comforting words he didn't expect. Sungjin doesn't deserve to be with someone who's so difficult to date.

"I understand, well maybe not all of it. But I can comprehend how complicated it would be if we dated, but people already think we are, so how about we go with the flow for a bit, hm?" he prompts and Wonpil smiles, wide, nodding,

"Yeah,"

"Yeah? You'd like that?" Sungjin asks, smiling himself as he leans in closer, and Wonpil nods as he connects their lips again.

"You know what else I'd like?"

"For us to get out of here? Unless you enjoy voyeurism," the other replies, the last part in a whisper in his rasp near Wonpil's ear, referring to the giant windows that illuminate Wonpil's office on this Saturday.

"Hm, I'll take a pass on that, your place seemed a lot more comfortable," and Sungjin kisses him one last time before giving room for Wonpil to get off his desk, quickly grab his jacket and they're off, swiftly sneaking like youths skipping school, as if they don't have enough time together.


AUTHOR'S NOTE:

Hi Hello, my name is Zen! Sorry I'm so bad with these updates lol but I'm trying, I swear! LOL Anyway, please comment any thoughts you guys have, I'd love to know! Thank you so much for reading.

I love making MyDay pals so feel free to reach out to me on either:

Twitter | Instagram | YouTube | kakao: zenaya

I'll update as soon as I can, but until then, peace! - Zen