Five

Seven Years to Forever

Their fifth year was messy if only because boys were noticing Harin again (and Haneul, but she was still the scarier, antisocial twin). But who could blame them?

Taehyung said it best when he bumped into her at the platform. “Holy smokes, you’re even prettier than before.”

“Nah, I’m pretty sure you’re still prettier than me.” Harin laughed.

Jungkook wasn’t far behind him and Jimin. He tilted his head to the side when he looked at Harin. He was confused but something about her was different. It was weird not seeing each other for two months every year, but it couldn’t have been so long that it was noticeable. “Did you get more tanned?”

“Yeah! We went to the beach! I have muggle pictures to show you guys of the muggle beaches. We went to the Mediterranean for part of our summer vacation.” Harin grinned.

The boys eventually grew accustomed to slight changes in the appearances and attractiveness of the twins, but guys who passed by them couldn’t even pretend not to stare.

They had both grown a couple inches, on the taller end of things now, and Harin’s way of wearing her uniform -- how she’s always worn it -- was catching her peers attention. She’d always worn her uniform in a relaxed manner. ed with a nondescript tank or tee underneath and her tie loosely done. Her skirt was the appropriate length, but with both of the twins’ new heights, the skirts appeared a bit short on them. Plus, she never really bothered to make sure she was wearing stockings because they were a hassle when she needed to pee or get undressed and dressed again quickly. She wore ankle socks and comfortable sneakers. She was even wearing makeup. When Jimin noticed, she had shrugged ‘my cousins put makeup on me. I’ll be too lazy to wear it everyday like them, but some of it’s fun and pretty.’

Haneul was in a similar situation. She was suddenly tall like her sister, but she was more meticulous about her uniform. Her hair had grown a little longer, and she was also wearing makeup for the same reason as her sister. She glared at anyone who stared at them a little too long.

Harin had hopped onto Jungkook’s back, copying how Taehyung had hopped onto Jimin’s, on their way to the carriages. “Oh? All these comments about how much we’ve grown and changed and no one mentioned a thing about how our Jungkookie here has changed too.” She patted his arms and shoulders. “You been working out?”

He blushed. “There’s not much to do at the manor. It gets boring, so I just kept practicing for quidditch.”

“Ayy, you gonna make it so that you’ll find the snitch before I can even score a point?” She laughed.

“That’s the goal.”

“Hm. We’ll just have to see about that.” She grinned and gestured for him to go faster already. “Come on! I know you can run with me on your back! What’s all these muscles for if you’re not gonna use them?”

“I’m not gonna run. You’re wearing a skirt.”

“So?”

“Harin. Please. I’m not gonna run.”

“He’s trying to be a gentleman. Let him be.” Haneul snickered.

“Fine.”

It was a frustrating year for Jungkook. It was one thing to be hit in the face with the knowledge of how much he liked her as something more than just friends. It was another to deal with watching guys come at her once more with a vengeance. She rejected them all, but still.

He wanted to not notice how all the guys were chasing after her like crazed beasts, but it was impossible not to. They were always together, and these guys acted like he wasn’t there when they talked to her. She was polite, so she always responded when people talked to her no matter where they were. Going to Hogsmeade together was a mess. They were always interrupted now. It was like their first and second year all over again.

Worst of all was how hard he was trying not to be like them -- to not think of her like that. She wasn’t interested in him and never would be. She may believe in the good of people, but he wasn’t so kind. He knew there were parts of him related to a family full of hatred and spite. He could try every day to forget that he’s a Jeon, but he was one and it will always be there, simmering just under the surface. He could feel it bubbling up, threatening his self-control every time a guy asked Harin out.

Every day was a dilemma for him. It was hard being around her, but harder not being around her. Not to mention with that damn spell she created with Haneul, it was nearly impossible to hide from her. Hufflepuffs really do make amazing finders.

It was nearing exam season when he felt her becoming more and more tense. It wasn’t because of class either, because she was doing great and was a great test taker.

So he asked her something he hasn’t had to ask in a really long time. “Tree?”

“Yeah.” She let him pack up their things with a flick of his wrist. They were still regularly honing their skills, so things like this was like breathing to them now.

She concentrated the strength of her magic into her legs as she jumped up the tree, landing neatly on the same branch they’ve always sat on. Jungkook spelled the branch to be strong enough to definitely hold their weight. He used magic to more gently float himself up to the branch, showing off his superior control on things.

“What’s wrong?”

“Nothing. I’m fine.”

“I remember years ago when I tried to tell you I was fine. You then assaulted me until I fessed up.”

Harin smiled at the memory. “I do remember this.” She sighed after a moment passed. “I just… it’s weird.”

“What’s weird?”

“It’s not anything new, but it’s weird.”

“I’m just gonna let you ramble until it makes sense.” He smiled and leaned back against the tree trunk. They were taller now, bigger, so there was so much less space between them on the branch. They sat straddling the branch (thank goodness she was wearing jeans and not a skirt), using their thighs to keep some space between them so it wouldn’t be awkward. Their knees were still touching, but they ignored that.

Harin smiled at him thankfully. “Yeah. So… I’ve always known people liked me and that I was popular. That’s just… kind of how it always was. I have a lot of friends, but a nice inner circle of friends like you guys. I’m used to being surrounded by people who want to be friends with me. And I know I’ve got a nice look. I’m very pleased with my appearance. But like… it’s different now. It feels weird. I don’t really like it. How people keep watching me, keep trying to talk to me. And it’s so uncomfortable having to keep rejecting these people politely. It’s so sad. Asking people out and confessing is such a brave thing to do, so getting rejected hurts, and I don’t like hurting people unnecessarily, but what else am I supposed to do? Now, every time someone looks at me, I feel like I have to prepare myself to reject them. It’s so weird and I really don’t like it.”

“I’m sorry.”

“You’re not going to call me a narcissist?”

“You’re not. You’re recognizing a pattern -- one you really don’t like. As one of the people who’s almost always with you, you’re always getting confessed to or asked out, and people are always checking you out. I’m sorry you’re so stressed out by this.”

“Last year was nice. Fewer people were talking to me. What changed over a summer?”

“Puberty hit you like a train -- which was unnecessary since you were already pretty.” She blushed and punched him in the shoulder, telling him to stop messing around. “I’m not kidding.” He winced, rubbing his shoulder. “Pretty and nice people are more popular than just nice people. That’s like common sense. You’re the most popular person in school.”

“Correlation not causation, you jerk.” She grumbled. “And I didn’t change that much over the summer. I just grew up a little.”

“You don’t notice because it’s you. Everyone else noticed how pretty you’ve become though.”

“Haneul is prettier though. Why isn’t she getting as bothered?”

“You’re both pretty in different ways. She’s not as nice as you. She rejected a guy by saying ‘Beat me in a duel’ and proceeded to hex him into the next century.”

“That’s genius!” Harin beamed at him, a smile in truth unlike the tense or tired ones she’s had lately. He can’t believe it took him so long to realize she was so off-kilter.

She jumped off the tree and barely even gave him time to follow after her. “Where are you going?”

“It’s almost time for dinner!”

She was sitting with the group, in a better mood than she has been for weeks and though they noticed, they didn’t point it out. But, like any other day, she was approached once more. The group just ignored it, since it was such a common occurrence at this point, and kept eating and talking amongst themselves until they heard Harin say something completely new and unexpected.

“I’m very flattered, but I’ve been thinking lately, I’m not giving anyone a chance it seems. So I’d like to try something new. If anyone wants to ask me out, I’ll only consider it if they beat Jungkook in a duel. He’s my champion.” Harin grinned.

“Why am I your champion?” Jungkook looked up from his food, frowning. Harin turned to look at him with big, pleading eyes. “I’m your champion.” He sighed. “I’m free every day for an hour before lunch. I can be found in the library with our group. Of course, no sneak attacks. Proper duels. We’ll do it safely in hallways so we don’t destroy great and beautiful things like books and precious homework.” Jungkook stated, bored and clearly not a fan of this.

“I’ll meet you tomorrow at lunch then.” The guy looked at Jungkook smugly before leaving, clearly underestimating him.

Jungkook was getting recognition for being a Seeker, and getting better at his studies, but he hasn’t been in a duel since he was forced to participate in their second year, and he had lost brutally. Not to mention that the word was that Harin and Haneul fought all his battles for him anyway. No one knew how much he’s been training and just how much he’s improved.

“Why me?” Jungkook asked when Harin stopped hugging him in thanks.

“Because Haneul might kill them.” Harin laughed. “Plus, I wanted you to be my champion.”

“You’re a better duelist though.”

“I also might kill them. The difference between me and Haneul is that she’ll do it on purpose.” Haneul nodded from Harin’s other side ‘Definitely on purpose’.

The other three cornered Jungkook when Harin left to go meet with a professor about working on a new potion and wondering why it wasn’t working the way she wanted it to.

“We may accidentally kill them, but what about you, loverboy?” Haneul .

“It’s cute. He’s pretty much fighting for her love.” Jimin pinched Jungkook’s cheek, not minding when the younger boy slapped his hand away.

“Ah, fighting over a girl. To be young and in love.” Taehyung put a hand over his heart and looked at the sky wistfully.

“So. What are you gonna do? Are you going to crush all of her suitors?”

“Yeah. That’s kinda what she wants me to do.” Jungkook sighed.

“And what you kinda want to do.”

“Yeah. Our goals match up. I plan on winning every duel for her. So what?” Jungkook huffed.

“Who do you have to beat to be able to ask her out then?”

“No one. I’m not going to ask her out.”

“Why not?”

“Because we’re friends.”

“But you like her. You’ve liked her for like… forever, man.”

“Your point? We’re friends, and she doesn’t need another guy bothering her about that mess. Not from someone she trusts to be a safe space for her.”

Jungkook was in a duel nearly every day for a month and half until her suitors dwindled down. There were some repeaters, but he beat them soundly enough to eventually stop them. Soon, people were hearing of Jungkook’s impressive abilities, killing rumors that he was only good for quidditch. Something the three had been practicing together was simultaneously casting spells. That came in handy for duels. He was quiet, using only wordless magic to cast protection shields as well as attacking his opponent with nearly blinding sparks that hid his next few spells. He was even able to deflect errant spells cast by the blinded wizards. No one doubted his abilities after that.

Sure, people still tried to talk to Harin and get to know her, but the amount of it decreased significantly. The rumors that Jungkook was in love with Harin started back up again because ‘why else would he fight so hard for her?’ but they both ignored it. Harin didn’t believe it was true, and Jungkook hated that it was so unfortunately true.

That was the year he realized he was undeniably in love with his best friend and was more than willing to fight for her endlessly.