Part I: 12- Danger Zone

Different World: Genesis

It has been over a week now since Jimin offered V to join the company, yet V was taking his time to think about it. Not that he didn't want to, but he still haven't seen the entire benefits he could get from working with Jimin. Something that was bothering him was that Detective Lee had seen him and he sure did have a lot of connections with the police in Seoul... Hopefully that b**** wouldn't betray him and tell them where Kim Taehyung was hiding at. It was currently 6:45 AM and while the entire penthouse was still in a deep slumber, only 2 persons were awake: Rose and himself. 

Rose had been waking up the same time every morning. She started off the day with some quiet meditation, before she headed to the balcony where she was growing several plants. Afterwards, she would prepare breakfast and then she will be off reading a book in the balcony under the sun. In case of rainy days, she would read her book in the living room. That day, Hansung needed to finally give an answer to Jimin after dragging on for quite a bit of time for the proposal, and he needed to say, it was hard to do anything he would ever wanted without an authoritative figure behind or power. 

"Cotton." He called and Chaeyoung straightened her back up from the plants to turn to him. "I will make breakfast today, what do you want to have?" He asked and Rose quickly noticed the formal clothing he was wearing; although V was still very Hansung-like. 

"Where are you heading?" She asked. For a while, Hansung had been spending the day with Rose when Lisa wasn't here. Her friend was busy on her own as she was taking care of some matters at the hospital. 

"Officially an employed man now." He said and arranged his sleeves, folding them back up properly. 

"Then you will have to work a thousand times harder than others." She said. 

"Why is that?" 

"Because then, no one else will be able to bully you." She said and V couldn't help but simply chuckle. Who really could bully him? Only Rose would think so.

"What is that kind of logic?" He asked but ruffled her hair, a smile on his face. 

"Alright. Move you hand." Lisa jumped in between them before pulling her dear friend away and sending warnings to Hansung.

V mentally rolled his eyes. He was getting used to her attitude and he simply let her do so. He will be the bigger person and avoid being the bully he is. Then it reminded him of Rose's words, making his lips curled slightly up. From the counter, Lisa glared at him. He entirely ignored her facial expression and went to prepare breakfast. Jimin walked into the kitchen and Lisa's attention finally went away. Hansung had to admit that it was partly his fault to have Lisa be on her guard up against him again. He the stove and thought...

A FEW DAYS AGO

Hansung and Rose had been spending quite some time together while everyone else was away. On the day when Lisa decided to spend the afternoon with Rose, she came home to see Hansung staring weirdly at her friend. While Rose was reading her book in the afternoon, V simply stared at her. 

"Liz!" Rose greeted when she noticed the presence at the entrance. Rose went to get her good friend something to drink to hydrate herself after being out in the sun for a long while. And Lisa took this opportunity to question Hansung. Lately, Jimin and Lisa seemed to be less hostile against him, and since the brother wanted to get V work for him, Lisa knew he might be someone that could be trusted. 

"What's up with you? Why do you always smile when you stare at Chaeyoung? Are you into my friend?" She asked and scoffed, crossing her hands on her chest. 

"Yes." His blunt reply simply shocked her, and of course, Lisa didn't know what to say after that. 

There have been a few men at school who seemed to have feelings for Rose, but apart from a Sunbae, no one ever was so expressive with their feelings. And no matter what, Hansung wasn't really trying to hide his feelings, each of his actions and words were to care for Chaeyoung. The only thing was that Rose was simply too dull when it came to romance.

END OF FLASHBACK

Did Lisa tell Jimin? No. She had been playing the protector for so long and although she hated to admit that, Lisa was starting to doubt that maybe Rose returned the feelings also. And apart from the fact that Hansung was someone who they should all be weary of, up until now, there wasn't any harm caused to either of them for them to be this hostile against him. And the most of all, Jimin was suddenly very sure of V's intentions.

"It looks like Mr. Hansung will be joining the family." Jimin commented upon seeing his guest's formal wear. 

"It seems like it." V replied. Jin stepped into his kitchen in his work clothing and their eyes merely met each other before they both turned their gazes away. 

***

Never had Kim Taehyung ever thought he would be spending the day in an office doing paperwork and... simply doing an actual job. Jimin really did sincerely admired Hansung's character. When he agreed to work for the company, V never thought he would be working working. Overnight, he became the Projects Director for the company and with the new annoucement made at the Higher Society, this Seoul has opened up roads for collaborations from other companies who wished to work with Soft. Inc., thus increasing the amount of project proposals being sent to his desk. And really, Jimin didn't give him much instructions to know exactly what he wanted. Well... Not like he had never done paperwork... 

He glanced out at the window of his office and noticed, mostly among female employees, glancing directly at him followed by giggles. Well... He sighed. He stood up to turn the blinds off. He grabbed onto one file to start reading it, but after reading a few lines, he threw the file aside. "Some people really can't write a proposal well or be innovative enough." He scoffed. 'What is Cotton up to?' He thought and glanced at his cellphone on his desk. 

Since he had come to this city, he spent everyday with Rose and somehow, now that he is away, he began to notice the difference without having her around. 

***

Rose was in the middle of the bookstore, in the fiction section when her phone started to ring. She looked at the name and answered the call. "Hansung-shi." She greeted putting away the book she was reading. "Is everything alright?" She asked, suddenly worried that something might have happened to him for him to call her right now in the middle of the day.

"Everything is good." He replied to her question. "Can't I call when I want?" He straightforwardly asked, but he wasn't expecting an answer to the question.

"Of course you can!" Rose replied a little too quick. She cleared . 

"What are you up to?" He asked, amaused by her reaction. 

"I'm at the bookstore." She replied and looked around her surroundings. It was a very calming and nice place, this bookstore is one of her favourite to come to. "Lisa headed to the company to have lunch with my brother. Right. Hansung-shi, even if you have to work hard, don't forget to eat."

"Cotton. How about you... drop by the company later? I will show you my office personally." He suggested. She accepted.

After she hung up first, V stared at the black screen of his phone. He found himself very pathetic. He wanted to see her, and he knew that very well; he didn't told her that but tried to ask indirectly to see her earlier than he would have if he were to wait until he got home.

"They said love turns everyone into an idiot." He whispered to himself as he put away his phone. "I cannot agree with that saying more." He grabbed onto the next file and read the title on the cover page. He flipped through a few pages and closed the file with a simple hand movement and stood up. Someone was messing with him and he didn't quite like that. 
Kim Taehyung walked out of his office and asked the receptionist, "I want the provenance of this file. Who wrote. Who sent it. Where it came from. Who touched it. Who received it. And give me the details as soon as you find out." He said and put the file on her desk.

His deep voice attracted the attention of the young single women around the office, but V didn't linger around longer outside of his office. After he said what he needed to, he went back into his office behind the protection of the binds. Someone knocked at his door and it was Park Jimin who came to pay him a visit... in his own company. "Hansung-shi." He called out and V let out a scoff.

"President, it's an honour to receive you here." He commented and Park Jimin laughed before patting his new ally of the company, and motioned him to sit at the couch. He must have something that he wanted to discuss with him. 

"I will not beat around the bush. Now that you're officially part of the company, I will tell you what is your job in here." Jimin said and V lifted up an brow.

"Interesting, so we're now playing spies against spies."

"That's why I want you on my side, very quick-witted." The president of Soft Inc. commented. "So apart from actually looking through the project proposals we receive, a more important task for you will be to find the spies." Jimin directly threw in the task to be done. "You might wonder, what's in it for you. Well... The spies can only belong to the one and only him who you're looking for." Kim Taehyung glanced up at Jimin very seriously. Him again. "You know the announcement I have made have got me on a lot of people's bad sides, and him is not excluded." 

"So, how can I do everything I want?" V asked and Jimin shrugged.

"As long as you're doing it within the law, up to you." 

Taehyung nodded in approval. "Love that. Are the spies scattered throughout the entire company or is it just on this floor?"

"This floor's your main priority. Because I doubt that some are using project proposals to get through us. Not 100% sure, but I'm sure Hansung-shi you can do it."

"Don't put so much hope on me, I'm only good at being a gangster, not other stuff."

Jimin shrugged. "If you say so. But I believe you're more than that." And with that, Jimin let him continue with whatever Hansung was going to do. 

V thought for a bit before he went to the receptionist who still haven't touched the file he left on her desk earlier. "Don't worry about it, I will do it myself." He said again and with the file in his hand, he walked towards the elevator. In fact, it has been a while since he was involved in stuff that approached investigation closely. In order to do this properly, to even find out suspects of spies, he needed to verify one thing first: CCTV's. Afterwards, limiting the amount of people that can get into his office while he is absent. He nodded at the first part of his plan. He glanced down at the ID pass and nodded to himself. He indeed felt different. Was it one of the reasons why Jin decided to continue his life here? 'It could be.' He thought to himself.

While he was walking down the hallways, employees from different departments greeted him with a bow and a hi. Back in Seoul, his minions would also greet him but in a way different manner. While being a gang leader, you have the authority to order people to literally go kill, in this place, Hansung had a more sophisticated authority to not order people around but to not have people come kill him or talk about drugs or anything. An entire different setting he must repeat again to himself.

Who didn't know about Jimin's new recruitee, tall, handsome, young and with a very deep manly voice. Of course the entire Soft. Inc heard of him the new Project Director. And indeed, Hansung exceeded the rumours about him in the company. Was that why female employees seemed to be more inclined to pass by the Project Management Department on that day?

The security department located at the lobby was not hard to locate. What he didn't expect was to find Jin standing behind a bunch of screens who seemed to be doing what he was here for also. Well... They used to be brothers. Hansung simply bowed his head as a short greeting before he approached the Security head, asking to see the past few hours' CCTV cameras. Like that both of them stood besides each other facing a different big screen of camera recordings, Hansung quickly lost track of time. He was particularly interested in the elevator's CCTV camera recordings rather than his office. 

***

With the few books that she had bought earlier, Rose had been wandering around the city for quite a while now, but in the last hour Rose has been feeling especially uneasy and was interiorly panicking. She kept having the impression that someone was following, yet she didn't dare to look behind her because she had to admit she was very scared. She held out her phone and thought for a bit. 

Perhaps they have noticed Rose taking out her phone, but at that moment, they decided to quicken their moves, rushing forward to catch up to her. But Chaeyoung wasn't slow-witted nor was she defenseless. She was smarter than what people might believe and she picked up onto stuff very quickly. And she started to run away as soon as possible. The sun was almost gone and she wasn't this far from Soft. Inc. She simply needed to reach there before they reach her.

***

He was in his office, when his phone started to ring. "Cotton?" Hansung asked and picked up the call to hear an out-of-breath Rose. "Cotton." He called.

"H...Hansung-shi. I don't even know what to say..." She panicked. "... I think someone's following me for a while now and now they are chasing after me." She glanced back and let out a scream. 

"Yah! Who the **** are you calling?!" Asked a voice and reached for the phone she was holding. 

"I'm near the company." She said in a hurry before hanging up.

Without hesitation, V stood up, letting aside everything on his desk, grabbed his phone and exited his office, rushing towards the elevator then the lobby. He ran through people who were busy either talking on the phone, discussing about a file, a project, or whatever they were discussing with another employee. People wondered really what ws happening but he didn't take the time to let people process about the situation and he reached outside of the building. He glanced around and then held up his phone, tapped a few stuff on his screen. Luckily one day he decided to put in a tracker in her phone or else he wouldn't know what to do right now.

***

Rose was panicking inside, but what bothered her the most was the sudden pain in her chest. She didn't know why they were chasing her, she didn't know who those vulgar people were, but she knew that she needed to escape as far as possible. Her brother and Jin were in a meeting, she couldn't call Lisa because she would panic even more making it more complicated... Luckily Hansung took her call. Even so, she wasn't sure if he hear what she said. Her brian was simply in shock and didn't know what else to do. It was the first time she got herself in such a situation. 

"Hey!" And violently someone caught onto her arm to pull her back, making her stumble onto the ground, causing her to be short of breath. Her phone slid away onto the road, her bags fell besides her. People glanced at the scene but it didn't look like anyone wanted to get involved in this situation. "Such an annoying wrench. Stand up for f*** sakes." And Rose was pulled up to stand on her feet again. She had her head and eyes lowered, avoiding to make eye contacts, her fist on her chest.

"Yah. If you're this scared, you shouldn't have gotten involved in our matters. Huh?!" Someone told her as he lifted up her chin to force her to look at him. She broke away from the contact. "Park Chaeyoung is that it? You're completely messing with the wrong people you stupid ****." He continued and pushed her as he spoke. She stumbled again onto the ground because of the fear that formed in her. The air that seemed to hard to breath in. He lifted up his hand into the air while Chaeyoung simply lifted up her arms to shield herself, then everything got quiet.

"Who the f*** are you? Mind your own business f***tard." 

V glanced at the two men standing there, his arm preventing them from laying a hand on Cotton, and he turned to see Chaeyoung who was simply on the ground, unable to do anything. And he was getting extremely mad, he was feeling his anger arising in his chest. "Before you two regret this, turn away and never come back." He said and released the man, pointing his chin towards the opposite direction to tell them to get lost at this second.

"You're funny." And without hesitation one of the two punched V at the cheek who didn't budge on his feet. 

"You looked for troubles." He commented and before he did anything, and an officer called them out.

"Park Chaeyoung, we're not done yet!" They yelled and ran away as quick as they could, a police officer running after them. 

Hansung turned to Chaeyoung the next second, calling out, "Cotton." He knelt down and looked at her, "It's done. It's over." He said and her hands were held tightly into fists, covering half of her face. She was panicking and was not calming down. He let out a sigh, not that he was annoyed but he hated seeing her scared and sad, and unhappy. He hated to see that no one did anything to prevent this from happening. He reached out a hand and pulled her closer. "It's done." He comforted and passed his arms around her. She was shaking a little and he could tell how strong she is trying to appear. But he knew this too well. He knew how being scared looked like as he had seen a lot of people begged for mercy before. "Don't say anything. It's fine to be scared. Anyone would." He said and she nodded. He patted her head and remained like this until the police officer came back empty-handed.