Final

A Spring Day

“Is it raining?” Seungcheol stopped walking and held out his hand, seeing if he felt any raindrops.

“It’s supposed to storm today,” Jeonghan replied, continuing to walk down the street on the fresh spring day. “Lets just get inside before we get caught in it.”

No sooner had the words left Jeonghan's mouth when the rain started to come down in rapidly increasing strength.

The two boys ran towards their destination, Seungcheol's house, and were completely soaked by the time they got there. Partly due to the fact that Seungcheol has stood outside for a few minutes longer “enjoying the rain” as he put it before Jeonghan had to drag him back inside.

“Cheol, you dork, now you’re absolutely soaked,” Jeonghan laughed, staring at Seungcheol who looked like he had just taken part in a wet t-shirt contest in his white shirt. Jeonghan scratched his ear, smiling and looked away, trying to hide a blush at Seungcheol's defined abs and chest.

Seungcheol shut the door behind him and kicked off his sneakers placing them on top of a vent to dry them.

“So are you,” he defended. “We're soaked together!” Seungcheol tried to give Jeonghan a massive bear hug to which the latter dodged laughing.

“Let’s go get some dry clothes before we both catch a cold,” Jeonghan suggested pushing Seungcheol towards the staircase.

Jeonghan watched from Seungcheol's  bedroom doorway as Seungcheol went into his room and rummaged around his drawers to get two sets of dry clothes.

“Here you are,” he said, offering Jeonghan some sweatpants and a t shirt. “I made sure to get you the ugliest clothes.” Jeonghan just smiled and rolled his eyes as he walked to the bathroom to change.

Jeonghan swept a hand through his wet hair, trying to detangle it a little bit before it dried. He had been given grey sweats and a black t shirt that were both slightly too big for him, but it worked. The fact that he was wearing Seungcheol's clothes combined with the previous view of Seungcheol's toned body made it harder for Jeonghan to suppress the crush he had on his friend, the crush he had had since the 7th grade when they became best friends. Seungcheol knew Jeonghan was gay, he came out to his friends and family in grade 10. Seungcheol had been very supportive then, and ever since, but he himself was straight, at least Jeonghan assumed so since he had never indicated otherwise. The only other person who knew of his hidden crush was Junghyun, a mutual friend of theirs who had been genuinely surprised when Jeonghan revealed his feeling because he hid them very well.

Jeonghan stared at himself in the mirror giving himself a sharp pat on the cheek.

‘Get it together, Jeonghan,’ he thought to himself.

Jeonghan returned down stairs presently and saw Seungcheol sitting down at the kitchen table, picking up where they left off studying to take a break by walking around the block to the convenience store.

“It really cooled down,” commented Jeonghan sitting down at the table across from Seungcheol.

“Weird how that happens after it rains,” Seungcheol replied in a goofy voice.

Jeonghan rolled his eyes. “I didn’t realize,” he said with a similar tone.

Seungcheol chuckled slightly before asking more seriously, “Are you cold?”

“Yeah a little,” Replied Jeonghan.

“Here,” Seungcheol said, taking off the hoodie he was wearing and passing it over to Jeonghan. “I was actually feeling kinda hot so you can wear this.”

“Thanks.” Jeonghan put on the sweater and then looked down at the graphic. It was warm, soft, and smelled like Seungcheol.

“AC/DC? Really?” He asked, referring to the album art on the hoodie.

“What? They’re good,” defended Seungcheol.

“Okay,” Jeonghan replied suggestively.

“I’ll just take my sweater back then if you can’t appreciate real talent,” Seungcheol said pretending to be hurt.

“No its chill, I like, maybe, half of one of their songs,” said Jeonghan, looking down at the sweater again.

“That is an acceptable answer,” laughed Seungcheol.

 

They studied for an hour or so in silence asking the occasional question about a problem or a concept. Jeonghan thought he saw Seungcheol staring at him from time to time like he did during most study sessions but made nothing of it.

“Do you mind if I make tea?” Jeonghan asked after deciding that the problem he was working on was too annoyingly difficult.

“Sure, I can show you where my mom keeps all the stuff,” Seungcheol said. They stood up from the table and headed to the kitchen area. “I was getting kinda hungry, do you want snacks too?”

“Always,” replied Jeonghan.

“Kettles there, and the teas in this cupboard.” Seungcheol pointed out the things Jeonghan would need for the tea. Jeonghan turned the stove on for the kettle right away since there was lots of water in it already. He turned to the pantry were the tea was looking for one to drink. Seungcheol was already there looking for food.

“Do you want cookies, or chips, or these cracker things? Actually I think we’re not supposed to eat those,” he said rummaging around in the cupboard with one hand. The other hand he rested lightly across Jeonghan's lower back to rest on his hip. Seungcheol used the position to pull Jeonghan closer to him slowly and subtly so their hips touched.

The action wasn’t subtle enough, however, to go unnoticed by Jeonghan. He felt his face heat at the contact and had a case of very angry butterflies in his stomach. Usually he was able to hide his feelings well, but this contact changed things.

“Yes, Oreos!” Seungcheol exclaimed, spotting his favourite.

“Seungchoel?” Jeonghan brought Seungcheol's attention from the Oreos. “What are you doing?”

“Eating an Oreo,” Seungcheol answered plainly. He turned to Jeonghan, clearly holding a cookie he was about to shove in his mouth. The turn moved them even closer together.

“I’m not talking about your Oreos, Choeol,” Jeonghan said plucking the cookie from Seungcheol's fingertips, causing him to look vaguely disappointed. “Why are you hugging me?” Jeonghan finished explaining with the question, taking a bite out of the cookie he stole.

“Oh, just cause I like it when your close to me,” Seungcheol explained casually. He pulled Jeonghan around, so they were standing face to face, and wrapped him in a bear hug, both his arms around the smaller at the waist. “You’re just so warm and soft.”

Jeonghan was in a slight state of shock, suddenly being this close to the boy he loved since he was 12. He placed his hands on Seungcheol's upper arms, trying to keep a respectable distance between them.

“Cheol!“ Jeonghan said, surprised at the sudden turn of events and blushing quite obviously. “I - I’m not a teddy bear!”

“I know that, it doesn’t change the fact that you are very huggable?” Seungcheol took this as an opportunity to move even closer, which was apparently possible, so that their whole bodies were pressed together. Jeonghan had to reposition his arms and rested them on Seungcheol's shoulders.

“Thanks, I think...” Jeonghan responded to the compliment.

They stood like this for a minute, wrapped in each other’s arms. Jeonghan was quite flustered at first, being so close to Seungcheol, but he soon calmed down, just enjoying the closeness and the warmth.

But he still felt the need to address the situation but Seungcheol beat him to it.

“Jeonghan? I have to tell you something,” Seungcheol said softly.

“Okay,” Jeonghan managed to get out in a whisper. He felt Seungcheol take a big breath.

“I love you.”

Jeonghan smiled into Seungcheol's chest.

“I love you too,” he sighed. It was something they told each other on occasion as best friends.

Seungcheol shook his head, not entirely getting his meaning across. “No Jeonghan, I- I love you more than just as a best friend.”

Jeonghan almost didn’t comprehend the other's meaning, he couldn't believe his crush had just confessed to him, this was most people’s dream come true, it was his dream come true.

“Anything you want to say to that?” Seungcheol asked. He pulled away slightly so he could look at Jeonghan, concerned at first but finding a slow smile spreading across the smaller boys face. Jeonghan was about to say something when a sharp whistle could be heard from the stove.

“Oh, the kettle,” he said urgently, pushing away from Seungcheol to lift the kettle off the hot element and to turn the stove off. He turned around presently to Seungcheol who was standing there, smiling like an idiot.

“‘Oh, the kettle’ is all you can say to me?” He laughed, reaching out to grab Jeonghan's hand. “You’re such a dork.”

“I was going to say that the feeling is mutual,” Jeonghan explained laughing as well. He let Seungcheol pull him close. “I love you too, as more than a best friend.”

“I think you understands what a relief it is to hear you say that,” Seungcheol said, holding both of Jeonghan's hands. Jeonghan just nodded, he’d tell Seungcheol how long he waited to hear his confession another time. Seungcheol brought his hands to Jeonghan's face, cupping his cheeks.

“Can I kiss you?” He asked.

Jeonghan nodded. “Please do.”

Seungcheol leaned down slightly pressing a loving kiss on Jeonghan, who responded immediately. The kiss became a little desperate and Seungcheol moved them both so Jeonghan was pressed between the wall and himself. Seungcheol slid his hands down from Jeonghan's cheeks to his neck and down his sides, wanting to feel as much of the other boy as he could.

“Jeonghan, I can’t kiss you when you’re smiling like that,” Seungcheol complained, pulling away from Jeonghan who was smiling like an idiot, absolutely in heaven.

“I can’t help it,” Jeonghan simply explained, and leaned in to continue their kiss.