E01. the spy, the civilian, the target and the charmer

get it, hit it, kill it

 

CHAPTER ONE:
the spy, the civilian, the target and the charmer

 

THERE is an actual intense staring contest going down between a cat and a human outside his window. Jeno tries not to make a big deal out of it but it’s not every day you get to witness this kind of exchange between man and animal. He quickly takes cover and peers over the edge of the sill, peering down to take a better look without giving himself away.

Right outside his window, across the small clearing, stands an empress tree where the black cat is perched among one of its lower branches, swishing his tail from side to side. He recognizes the cat. The locals call him “Ming” and Jeno gives him tuna whenever he pops up at their block. He’s surprisingly more friendly and tolerant than the other strays around their area, letting the occasional tenants his fur and tickle his chin so seeing him assuming an agitated stance atop the branch and locking gazes with a guy might just be the first for Jeno.

Okay, so they’re definitely engaged in a staring contest. It’s more interesting than silly really, it briefly reminds him of those animal documentaries on National Geographic and he feels like the prying camera observing wildlife interactions from afar. Not that he also considers the human guy “wildlife” but you get the point.

Jeno’s lips quirk up into a small grin when Ming proves his guess correct as it tries to claw out the stranger’s eyes with a desperate swipe of his paw. He misses of course, the human pulling back just in time before he gets him in the eyes. Okay. Now that’s an interesting sight. This week is starting off well in complete contrast to the last where the most interesting thing that happened is Jaemin downing a glassful of spoiled milk that he dumbly passed off as soy thanks to his clogged nose. His rushing to the bathroom every ten minutes was enough entertainment to make Jeno forget the week-long boredom that came with having to move into his dorm room a week before the actual classes. Despite all the poop jokes, Jeno is really not that bad friend who takes pleasure out of his friend’s misfortunes but he is that best friend who tries to make disastrous situations better through very helpful laughter. After that, he makes sure Jaemin doesn’t accidentally ingest any dairy products to avoid any more bowel accidents.

The guy outside reaches up tentatively. The cat shrieks, tail lashing side to side angrier than ever.

Speaking of the guy… ah, that must be it. It’s a completely new face Jeno hasn’t seen before. And he’s oh , cute despite wearing a blue and white plaid sweater vest and washed-out jeans that shouldn’t look good on anyone outside the '90s. But it does on him and his short-ish legs (he’s on the second floor and from that distance everything looks reasonably tiny), matching well with his dirty blonde hair down and golden frames perched on his nose to complete the nerdy look.

He blinks. He’s not making things up. This is really happening before him and the guy is real. Such beauty is real. He hasn’t experienced this kind of euphoria since he first saw Heejin from last year whom he dated for a month before she got tired of him and dated her best friend Hyunjin instead.

“You have an eye for beauty my friend,” Jaemin said then, patting his back more mocking than comforting after the breakup. “You’re just really bad at picking.”

Jeno must’ve been very busy blatantly staring that it takes him another five seconds to realize from that distance that the guy’s now staring at him instead of the cat. He yelps and dives to the floor, a little too late, busting his chin on impact. Groaning, he risks another peek over the sill fast enough to catch the guy hike up his backpack and walk along the sidewalk.

He catches the breath that escaped him in that short period their eyes met (and from diving to the waterless floor) because that might as well bust a lung at the rate his heart is going.

Jaemin picks that exact moment to stroll in with his towel draped over his shoulder and the world’s lousiest bedhead next to Jeno’s. “Your bed’s that way if you still want to lie down but it’s just a suggestion. Do you want to lay down or are you finally trying out yoga?”

Still a bit breathless, Jeno blinks at him. “Jaemin. I think I’m in love.”

Jaemin sympathetically hums, a lazy hand scratching his rear end. “We have a new cat? Damn. Those guys are gonna be the death of you.”

“No, no, it’s not a cat this time.”

“Oh. So a dog?”

“Not a dog.” Jeno’s lips bloom into a dreamy smile as the sweater vest invades his mind once more. He doesn’t have any positive things to say about sweater vests before but now it’s the apex of human fashion with every potential to put whatever goddess of beauty to shame. The next crop top. How could he not notice sweater vests until now? “A human.”

Jaemin looks confused. “Huh. That’s new. Have you named them?”

Jeno frowns. “Hey, I’m serious.”

“I haven’t had any caffeine yet, sorry.” Jaemin waves his hand. “Pine all you want but only until 7am. We still have college to attend to.”

 

 


 

 

RENJUN’S first assignment involved a lot of running through the mountains to fetch intel from a retired agent in Daegu. It’s hardly something he considers actual spywork despite the fact that it involves recovery of data because Renjun’s all about the adrenaline rush of being on the field. State-of-the-art tech at his fingertips, encounters with foreign counterintelligence, real fights with battle scars to write home about, jetpacks, all the pizzah. Only to have his soaring expectations plummet when the most exciting things that happened on his debut were his cramped legs and blistered feet. He doesn’t dare complain though. He’s trained not to anyways, so he easily pulls off a blank, “I’m-not-tired” face when Kun congratulated him from the screen of his watch for a well-done first job.

His team had a blast over his ordeal though. Yukhei called him cute, tiny and precious in that order over the coms even though he did nothing to warrant those assessment. Chenle obviously enjoyed every moment of his agony in the mountains that day with a popcorn and ice cream at either sides of his computer, jeering at his screen as if he’s playing some sort of RPG Man vs. Wild game. Renjun knows gaming jargon when he hears one.

“Renjun try to check behind that tree and see if there’s a supply packet.”

“Go rot in the basement, Chenle.”

“I’m telling Kun-ge!”

Securing the intel was Renjun’s first real accomplishment despite the dissatisfaction he felt through the entire thing and that remains a fact they love to remind him about.

“It’s a job well-done,” Kun had said, “your first real assignment. The agency thanks you, RJ. It’s not easy running through the woods with little to no field knowledge like that.”

Renjun appreciated the praise though he doesn’t let himself dwell on it too much. After all, he’s trained his whole life to weasel through tougher situations in rougher conditions than that. Kun just had the tendency to give more praise than what was due and this only tells more of the fact that he was the nicest squad leader on the force without question. He probably just said that to make it sound like his job was more important than what it truly is; just another scurry in the mountains that doesn’t make that much of a difference.

Still, Chenle loves to say, he got the job done still in less time Ten, their case officer, expected. He even said it was the fastest acquisition of foreign intelligence in the history of their agency and was convinced that should be enough to land him a much more challenging mission the next time. Preferably one of those classified Russia assignments Renjun’s been eyeing forever since the younger Chinese informed him of their existence after a quick covert tour inside the network. With Renjun’s qualifications and excellent job on his first mission (he really did improve his cardio a lot, for one), he came back home from Korea thinking he’s got this next one in the bag.  

Until it comes crushing down on him when Chenle greeted him with an exaggerated frowny face through the video coms, “Yukhei’s got the Russia assignment and he’s flying there as we speak.”

That’s how Renjun was sure he hates Yukhei more. So ing much. More than he already does.

The night after his arrival, he got summoned into one of his superiors’ office with Ten lingering at the side as Kun briefed him for his next big mission.

“And you’re going back to Korea for a babysitting job.”

Well, ain’t that great.

“Russia’s not really that cool a job. I heard he’s sitting economy on the way there now.”

Renjun grabbed the dart and closed one eye to aim it at the board.

“If you’re gonna try to make me feel better...” He his arm and hit bull’s eye before facing Chenle on the screen of his Mac. “at least try harder. We all know that’s horse. That guy hasn’t seen the dirt of economy all his life and with that job, that’s not gonna change.”

“Hey, neither have you?” Chenle said. Renjun reached for another dart. “I don’t understand why you’re so against this. Free tuition. College essays. Parties. It’s the dream job.”

“Russia was my dream job.”

“You’re a better fit for this job. If not the best. Nobody here knows Korea more than you.”

He hit bull’s eye again. So did Chenle. He doubly hated it when the younger makes a fairly better and more reasonable point than him. “I know.”

“And also Haechan is within your age range. You’re basically perfect for this job.”

I know.” Renjun grunted. “I already heard all that from Kun.”

“Sorry, you look like you need some reminding.”

He didn’t. Throwing darts is an effective way of venting out his frustrations he couldn’t in front of anyone other than Chenle. Especially not in front of Kun and Ten even if they’re the unofficial “parents” of their junior squad who had looked out for them ever since they started out as junior operatives. First, he has no right to complain. A mission is a mission. You get it done without question. That’s just how it is. Renjun was cultivated at a very young age to get his done once he gets it, without question and complaints and with every intention of succeeding. No matter how diminutive it feels like to him. So despite feeling like a complete loser to Yukhei, he swallows whatever objection he has on the matter until the briefing ended and manages to put up a credible face of neutrality.

Still, it didn’t stop Kun and Ten from throwing in a few helpful talks an hour later.

“College isn’t as bad as the movies made it seem. It’ll be exciting meeting new people and all that.” Ten’s Chinese was airy and smooth in the lounge where he’s allowed to speak casually to the them as Ten the team’s Thai gege, unlike his usual firm elocution as their case officer. Kun nodded along to that with a diffident tip of his head. It was a fractional display of hesitation but it existed and Renjun’s sharp eye caught it.

That was very gracious of both of them, the pep talks and the pats on the back, but those did very little to Renjun’s exasperation and broken shards of his foreseeable future’s dream. He nodded along to what they said like he always does with a honed blank face he’s mastered over the years. He doesn’t even dare point out that new connections shouldn’t be made there or anywhere unless it’s for asset. That’s one rule everyone in their field has to live by.

“Penny for your thoughts?” Chenle interrupts. “Five bucks if they’re about how I’m correct.”

“Ah, shut up. You’re younger than me I’m not taking this from you.”

Chenle laughed, his eyes turning into crescents. “While you’re at it, try to keep me up to date with spicy college drama, candy please? I want to hear all about the parties.”

At least someone sounded excited.

“I’m hoping Haechan doesn’t go to one so you can suffer in boredom.”

Chenle groaned. “You’re the worst agent a guy in a chair can ever have.”

Renjun crouched over his Mac, grinning. “You have Netflix, video games and imagination.”

“Boo. Go pack. I’ll check up on you in a few hours. I need to complete my daily six hours of Galaga.”

“Nerd.”

“You prepare to get a life now, RJ!” Chenle said. “College! Imagine that!”

Renjun rather not, thank you very much. There’s probably a reason why the universe steered him to end up in one of the orphanages and into the Farm like he did. It’s trying to weave his destiny without the involvement of college essays and pathetic hormonal teenagers his age to deal with only for Wong Yukhei to lay waste on the universe’s impeccable plan by taking on the Russia assignment that was originally Renjun’s for the taking. The git.

That’s how Renjun ends up back in Korea, for the nth time in his life, staring at one of the weirdest cats he has ever seen in his entire life which is sitting atop a tree’s branches, glaring down at him like he’s the most disgusting stupid excuse of a breathing creature it had ever laid eyes on.

Renjun never likes cats and saying this cat doesn’t like him back is a huge understatement. It just tried to scratch his eye out.

“Um. Renjun?”

“Shhh.”

“No, uh, I just want to ask. Why did you stop in the middle of the sidewalk?” Chenle’s voice floods his right ear where the transmitter sits. He’s very thankful they didn’t insist on equipping him with cameras, installing a tracker on him instead so Chenle wouldn’t have his fun acting like Renjun’s a freaking Sim on his monitors.

“This cat is weird.” Renjun squints at the cat’s eyes. “I don’t like it.”

“Is everything okay?” Kun asks. “Why is RJ stopping?”

“I think he’s picking a fight with a cat.”

“Wow,” Sicheng’s voice says followed by slurping noises. “This should be interesting.”

“Can the jobless people except Kun-ge keep quiet?” Renjun continues searching the cat’s heterochromatic eyes—a deep sapphire blue and a pear green—for anything that’s valid enough to justify the unsettling feeling in his chest and ignores the feeble “We’re not jobless!” protest from Chenle. “I feel like I’m being watched.”

Sicheng snorts. “That’s very creepy. I hope it’s not the cat?”

“It’s Renjun’s spidey-senses, shhh.”

Renjun ignores the collective laugh that follows after, keeping his eyes focused on the blue eye. It glints with an intelligent sting, much like any other cat’s but with a more sinister undertone. Something strangely familiar. Like staring straight into a lens of a camera . . .

He reaches up experimentally, and the cat screeches. Okay. Hostile cat. Good news. The feeling is mutual.

A speck of white catches Renjun’s attention over from an open window directly behind the cat.  There’s a boy peeking over at the edge of a window, staring down at him. At least, that’s what he thinks, considering that fact that his head is turned to his general direction and there’s barely anyone in the streets except for him and the cat from hell.

Renjun taps the side of his frames, visually zooming in to the guy’s partially swollen face due to sleep and tangled platinum blonde hair. His sharp features are set on a deep frown and for a second, Renjun wonders if he is mad at him for some reason.

When the guy realizes Renjun caught him staring, he quickly dives out of frame.

Renjun rolls his eyes and shakes his head. Weirdo. Why is Korea filled with weird inhabitants?

“Everything alright, RJ?” Kun asks this time and Renjun mutters affirmation under his breath.

With one final glance at the cat, Renjun walks on a few more meters upstream before stopping in front of the gates to the several-storey dormitory. He looks down on his watch to see if he got the location right. He does. Screw his top-notch navigation skills, really. He’s kind of hoping this isn’t it and he missed a turn or something back there. The cat and the platinum blonde are already flaunting themselves as bad omen to this mission by being weird and borderline creepy.

“RJ in location. Sunggwa Dormitory.” Renjun reports into his earpiece.

“RJ in location.” Chenle confirms, suddenly in an official voice. “Proceed.”

“Ah. This better up my wage."

The line momentarily fills with static before it shifts. “Not as up as mine. Mwahoho.”

Oh fu— “Who the heck let Yukhei in?”

“Language.” Kun chastises.

“I did!” Chenle chirps like the little devil he is. “He insisted!”

“Say hello to Hot Papa!”

“That is so gross.”

“Yukhei, please don’t say Hot Papa again.”

Yukhei laughs, pleased with himself apparently. “Thanks to Curry boy, I have access to every bug planted on you. Ren, you cannot escape me that easily.”

Renjun grits his teeth. “Chenle. You little—”

“This has to be some breach of moral conduct. My chaste, youthful ears and the aggressive flirtation. And yet… young love, I cannot resist.”

He’s gonna throttle Chenle. He wants to throttle Chenle. “Sicheng, please remove Yukhei from the line. He doesn’t belong here.”

“Guys, focus.” Kun says above Yukhei’s silent snickering. “This is our Renjun’s first day in college. We should be supportive and not annoying. Plus don’t you guys have something to do, Yukhei?”

“Lucas. I go by the name Lucas now! Isn’t that cool?”

Renjun snorts. Lucas. Smucas. He thinks he’s so great after earning his tacky codename. Lucas. Sounds like some homophobic jock’s name oozing with body odor and testosterone. Renjun is almost glad he didn’t get picked to do the Russia assignment or else he’ll be stuck with the stinking name Lucas for his entire lifetime.

“We’re chilling. Official business starts tomorrow. I’m giving time for Lucas to set up everything.” Sicheng replies with more slurping noises. Probably diabetes in a cup because he’s obsessed with those.

“Yup! I’m just chillin’. You guys have no idea but I’m currently at this really cool ho—”

“Thank you, Yukhei. You may shut up now.” Renjun cuts him off before he gives him more reason to hate him more than he already does. It’s not fair to take his grievances out on him, but it’s really hard not to when Yukhei is already toeing the line of his patience to begin with. Calling him cute and precious. Pinching his cheeks and grinning like a huge idiot every time he scowls at him. Telling him the dumbest things on occasion at a futile attempt to make him laugh. Slipping into his line like this with Chenle’s help. Asking for Chenle’s help in the first place. It’s really hard not to get annoyed.

“My feelings are very hurt. I was just checking up on you.” Yukhei whines, and Renjun hates how he can see his pout in his mind right now.

“There is no need for that, Lucas.”

Renjun makes his way into the dorm gates, passing by a garden clearing with a variety of trees on the grounds big enough to offer some breathing space. A few students turn to look at him and away with eye rolls and disapproving head shakes at his clothes.

Good. He’s already repelling curious attention. That’s one item off his list. He knew he can definitely trust Chenle’s fashion preference to fend them off.

“Oh.” Yukhei says in a small voice. “Okay then.”

When the silence that follows becomes unbearably awkward, Kun clears his throat.

“What about we layout what we’re here for RJ? Just to get things straight for the last time.” Kun offers and Renjun finds himself inwardly groaning.

It’s protocol, sure, but with the way Kun says it reminds him of an excited parent right before his son’s first quiz bee or some other academic contests normal kids participate into. As far as the movies tell him of course. It’s not like he’s actually had a parent and a normal childhood to know exactly how it feels. Kun is the closest thing they have for a father so it qualifies for something. 

“I am Huang Renjun, a Chinese exchange student who can speaks little Korean and is desperately in need of Lee Donghyuck’s help.” He recites verbatim Korean straight from his orders. “Also I can’t read. I’m illiterate. And I’m not allowed to judo anyone in school.”

“Excellent.” Kun chirped, very well-versed in Korean himself and Renjun sarcasm. “You’re on to babysit Lee Donghyuck. Make sure he stays out of trouble and make sure trouble doesn’t find him.”

“Yes, sir.”

“You have all the tech support you’re gonna need inside your unit. Dorm room 0923. You are obliged to report any sort of progress directly to Zhong. Is that clear?”

“Crystal.”

Chenle lets out a shrilly whoop!“Let’s do this team!”

As Renjun approaches the lobby, a pink-haired man dressed in casual clothes regards him with a slight nod. “Hey. Can I help you?”

“Sure.” Renjun nods back and in Chinese, he says, “Cast a brick to attract a jade.”

The man, though he doesn’t look Chinese, nods once in understanding and gestures inside. “Welcome to Korea, junior operative RJ. I’m TY. Follow me.”

 

 


 

         

IT’S kind of anticlimactic how the day went on as uneventful as they come. Since it’s the first day of college, you’d think you’d be in for a new adventure, a whole new chapter of your life starting with some kind of bang. Anything to commemorate said occasion, marking it down with something big to remind you of after a few years down the road. But it just felt like high school with a bigger campus, more older students and a lot more cars to congest the parking lot. Since most of his classes are on the west wing, he spent his free time roaming around to familiarize himself with the links of staircases and which halls lead to which departments. Jaemin joins him after lunch in his gallivanting but insists on hanging out on the second floor balcony that was probably owned by some botanical club with all the green vines interweaving the banister.  

They waddle through the rest of the day. Jeno feels proud about finding a new hangout spot a few blocks off-campus so early into the school year. Though, he knows he has his cousin Mark to thank for that. After all, he was the one who suggested he come down with Jaemin to check out the newly-opened café in the first place. It got popular fast since it’s one of those wonder cafés with a small library on its second floor and outdoor tables on-looking the plaza right across the street. Jeno finds it perfect because when you’re in college and desperate, places like this are ideal for unwinding. It’s a good thing they found this one as early as now.

When they walk up to the counter, Mark gives them a slice of mocha cake each on the house with the beverages they ordered and gestures them to the empty booth he personally reserved for them. Much to Jaemin’s delight. He thanks him loudly and announces a promise to be loyal patrons from then on. It’s a promise easy to fulfill. Jeno likes the place already.

“It’s not like we have to try out on the very first day of classes. At least, after a week or two after the dust of confusion settles? Being a freshman is not easy.”

“You plan on trying out for the soccer team? I thought you’d want to have a part-time job?” Jeno asks as they get themselves settled on the booth.

Jaemin sighs. “Yeah, I do. But I’m not sure, I wanted to try out. Why can’t I have a job like Donghyuck’s?”

“You’d have to be really smart first.”

Jaemin sighs again but dreamily this time as he plants a chin on his hand. “Yeah. He’s so smart and so pretty.”

Jeno feels his jaw, lips jutting out slightly. “My jaw still hurts.”

“Yeah, I hope you get a battle scar out of it.”

“It doesn’t hurt to that extent.”

“.” Jaemin deadpans. “All that whining and the risk of your jaw falling off because you harbored a crush. Should I be proud it’s not an animal this time or should I be worried because you’re already doing stupid things?”

Jeno reddens. Why does it sound a lot stupider when Jaemin says it? “I panicked okay?”

“You probably looked like a weirdo to him.”

Jeno scowls at him, then angrily bites the straw to his milk tea. “Thank you for the vote of confidence.”

Jaemin shrugs. “He was probably just passing by. Don’t worry. You’ll never see him again.”

“Again, thank you, Jaemin. That was very helpful.”

But Jaemin’s probably right. Mr. Sweater Vest was probably just passing by when Ming caught his attention and he engaged him in a staring contest for whatever reason. Such a shame, metaphorically brushing past someone with that face by chance, with nothing out of it but the shattered beginnings of a sprouting romance and a throbbing jaw. It’s very hard to find someone who willingly invests some of his time to an animal, let alone a cat on treetops just so he can gawk at it for a period of time. Jeno finds that the most endearing about Mr. Sweater Vest, next to the circle frames and floppy hair. Ever since that morning, his mind has been constantly buzzing with images of Mr. Sweater Vest and he bonding over Ming. Fingers subtly brushing, smiling fondly at each other . . .

The brown-haired in front of him shatters his transpiring fantasy, “Come to think of it, he’s also pretty weird. Who stops in the middle of sidewalks to stare at cats?”

“He’s adorable.” Jeno defends Mr. Sweater Vest for the last time. It’s the least he can do to a brethen who faces criticism from his best friend indirectly.

Jaemin shrugs again, reaching out his other hand and holding Jeno’s jaw across the table. “Does it still hurt?”

“Yes, but not as much. It’s dulling.” Jaemin taps his jaw up. “Ow! Hey!”

“Wow, what a sweet sight. Am I disturbing something?” asks a new voice from a figure towering over both of them holding two milkshakes.

Jaemin retracts his hand faster than you can say, “Oh ”, clearing his throat as he scoots over and taps the space next to him in the booth.

“Heeeey, there’s Donghyuckie. Have a seat. I was just checking if Jeno’s jaw still hurts. He’s been complaining about it all morning.”

“I did say it hurts.” Jeno nods at the red-head sliding next to Jaemin. “You look like a zombie. Up all night playing The Labyrinth?”

“How could I not when the new stuff released the other night?” Donghyuck yawns as if on cue, clasping a hand over his mouth just in time. His eyes look even more droopy now that they’re on eye-level, the fresh bags under them almost popping out after Jeno’s observation, The sharpness to his eyes is unwavering still, it’s not Donghyuck without his signature y gaze, but somehow fogged up because of last night’s fatigue. His flannel shirt is creased in places where it can’t be denied at first glance. He doesn’t usually style his flaming hair at all, but the way a few strands keep sticking up, it’s easy to tell it hasn’t been drenched in cold water in the past few days. Or any water at all. Day-old Donghyuck in his glory whenever a new game releases. Nothing as mundane as sleep and personal hygiene can get in the way of his childlike weakness and eagerness to RPG.

“So, tell me all about it.” Jaemin props his elbow and plants his chin, leaning in attention.

Donghyuck relays the levels he’s been through a couple nights before and Jaemin nods more eagerly than the story warrants, eyes fixated on Donghyuck’s lips the entire time in mesmerized enthusiasm. Jeno watches, slurping the sweet liquid while trying to decide which is sweeter for his senses: the milk tea he’s feasting on or this sight before him.

Jeno sighs. He misses Ming. He wonders if there’s a cat café around here somewhere. Maybe he could check the entire neighborhood during the weekend. He’ll have to drag Jaemin with him.

By the time Donghyuck finishes the recount of his epic video game ventures, Jaemin gushes and claps at him with fervor. Jeno knows the clapping is more for Donghyuck’s face (no matter how worn-down it is) than his story and that he knows nothing about video games at all, but he digresses, supplying a soulless “Wow” instead. Jaemin doesn’t even notice.

“And how’s your day?” the brown-haired asks, lips barely finding the straw with his eyes still on Donghyuck.

The red-haired shrugs. “Almost got mugged on the way here.”

Jeno chokes on his drink so does Jaemin who coughs out. “What do you mean you almost got mugged? Are you okay?!

“I mean I almost got mugged.” Donghyuck looks bored. “If it weren’t for this blonde guy who kung fu-ed the hell out of the mugger.”

“Who?” Jeno asks.

“His name is Renjun. He’s Chinese and he’s on his way here.” Donghyuck gestures to the extra milkshake. “That’s for him so no ideas, Jeno.”

“Ya, I wasn’t planning on drinking that.”

“I invited him over. I also might be taking him in for Korean lessons since he asked that as a favor in return.” Donghyuck smacks his lips, eyebrows coming together slowly. “Any chances he knows I do tutoring? No, that’s stupid. Forget that.”

“Speaking of tutoring...” Jeno starts. “I might need your help this year too.”

“You still haven’t paid off last year’s!”

“I know, I know. I’ll make sure to pay you in installments. Aw, no, Donghyuck come on... for me...”

“Nice try pretty boy.” Donghyuck scoffs. “But I need the money. Friendship doesn’t pay the bills and put ramen on the table.”

Jaemin sends him over a nudging look. Jeno sighs. “How much was it again?”

“Oh. There he is. Renjun, yo. Over here!”

Donghyuck waves at someone over Jeno’s shoulder as the café’s chimes rattle to alert them of a newcomer. Jeno makes a quick sip of his milk tea, groaning softly as he slurps air instead of liquid sugar. If he had Donghyuck’s brains then he wouldn’t have to worry about maintaining that scholarship that got him into this school in the first place. He had pass it along with the scholarship grant with Donghyuck’s help. Back then, it was easier to ask for his help without any bills attached. It was easier until last year when things got rough on his end...

“Renjun. Hey. These are my friends, Jaemin and Jeno.” He hears Donghyuck say, nodding at them respectively.

With his straw still between his teeth, Jeno looks up slightly just enough to peek at the newcomer’s face in the most noncommittal way.

Then he drops the straw back into his glass.

Mr. Sweater Vest. In the flesh. Only an arm’s length away from him.

“Hello,” Mr. Sweater Vest says in a cool voice, shy smile and faintly awkward Korean. “I’m Huang Renjun. Nice to meet you.”

 

 


 

 

"YOUR mission is Lee Donghyuck. Codename Haechan,” Kun said, side-stepping.

The screen flashed with pictures of a guy with flaming red hair from every angle. One smaller picture brandished a chocolate-haired version of him at the lower right, matching his sun-kissed complexion and plump lips. 

“Son of Lee Dongmin of the multi-billion Lee Corp. Ran away from home because of reasons our client doesn’t wish to disclose. Everything else you need to know about him is in front of you.” Renjun looks down at the folder and riffles through the papers of all his information, including various certificates, copies of his licenses and other necessary documents. “A few days ago, Lee Dongmin has received death threats from an unknown sender directed to his son. A report has been filed to the police to kickstart the investigation to find the source but Mr. Lee has personally hired us to keep an eye on out for him. As one of our agencies most trusted confederate, we’re obliged to comply.

“So your mission is to protect Haechan.” Kun announced. “Eliminate everyone suspicious around him and find out exactly what he knows to warrant a death threat. Make sure he lives through the year. Do you accept?”

Renjun firmly nodded. “I accept.”  

“What’s your plan of attack, Renjun?” Chenle had asked through the coms, twirling the pencil in his hands.

“Hmm.” Renjun his chin. “If I had to make sure I get into his life effectively and stick there, then I’d have to make my entrance grand and memorable.” A sweet smile slowly broke into his face. “I know just the thing. But I’m gonna need your help.”

“That’s what I’m here for!” Chenle practically jumped up from his seat, grinning. “Okay, what do you have in mind?”

“I need a mugger.”