Grown

The One Like You 2

Chapter 2 - Grown

 

The meeting ends a few minutes past five. After checking the time on her watch, Nayeon finally concluded the meeting and dismissed her employees. They all stand up, thank her and bow before each of them leaving the room, only Jihyo and the head director stay behind.

The latter sends a text to her wife saying she’s done with for the day before putting her phone down again and pays her attention on the deputy director. “How’s your mom?”

Jihyo lifts her gaze up and meet her superior slash best friend’s eyes. “She’s holding up well, but I think she hides more than what she showed us,” she told honestly. She blinks and sighs thinking of her mother.

“Our folks tend to act like that. They don’t like to show what they truly feel in front of us and feel better to put up a front so they don’t look weak,” Nayeon shared her points on behalf of the former’s parent which she agrees on. Jihyo nods her head and later chuckles as she thinks of something.

“You sound like you’re talking about yourself, old lady!” The deputy director snickers as Nayeon widens her eyes.

“It’s because I am indeed a mother of a son! As Seungjae grows up I think I can relate to the theory I just told you a lot!”

Speaking of the boy sparkles her interest. “How is he? Does he adapt well in school?” She hears the boy’s mother sighs and and sees her briefly closes her eyes.

“Seungjae is a quiet kid in school. His homeroom teacher told me herself and it’s scaring her. I said Seungjae has always been like that since he was a little kid, but she’s still worried nonetheless.”

“Well,” Jihyo clears . “Of course she’d be worried. He’s in middle school now and it’s weird to see him behaving that way for a boy his age.”

“His only close friend in school is Junseo, Dongwoo oppa’s son and they’re not even in the same year,” Nayeon made a comment and her face painted with concern. “The teacher said he might be bullied in school and I’m more worried about that possibility!”

“Tell Jeongyeon to talk to him! Maybe he’ll open up and eventually tell his problems!” Jihyo urged her friend.

“Speaking of that brat of my wife, she said Seungjae is indifferent around her and everything is awkward between them, so she doesn’t think she’s in the place to talk with him,” Nayeon rolls her eyes at the thought of that.

“She seriously said that?” Jihyo asked in disbelief and the former answers with a nod of head. “She seriously said that.”

The road was clear when Jihyo started to move her car. Nayeon had been picked up by Jeongyeon way earlier and they parted with a promise to see each other on weekend the latter’s place. The deputy director plans to buy chicken and drops by her folk’s before she’d head home. Luck is on her side when her mother welcomes her in with a hug and Jihyo kisses her mother’s cheek. “Here, I bought chicken for you!”

Mrs. Park frowns upon her daughter’s gift. “You should’ve bought them for Seol and Soojung instead. Why bother about me?” the folk sighs as her daughter giggles.

“What’s so bothersome about this when it’s so simple? Besides, I have kept different shares for my family!” Jihyo smiles at her mother. “I just want to make sure you eat well.” The old woman has no choice but thanks her and kisses her daughter.

Jihyo soon parts way with her mother and begins to head home. She’s informed from a text by her wife that the latter was already there with Seol and Jihyo can’t wait to conclude the night with them.

***

Weekend rolls by quickly. The family has been busy since this morning dressing up for a gathering at Jeongyeon and family’s house. Joining them will be Jihyo’s other friends with the exception of Mina and Momo couple as well as Tzuyu and Chaeyoung couple. They’re currently out of of the country thus explained their absences.

Jihyo sprays one more round of her perfume before fully satisfied with her appearance. She heads out and finds her sweethearts are already waiting for her with Soojung fixing Seol’s one-piece dress.  “Ready to go?”

“Yes mommy!” Seol responds enthusiastically. She’s been anticipating for this gathering because she wants to see Seungjae after a while. She surely misses him a lot after the boy graduated primary school and they couldn’t walk together since they’re attending different schools.

The meals are still in the process of being made when they arrived. The adults let Seol join Seungjae in the game room while they’ll be chit-chatting in the lounge room. Soojung excuses herself to help in the kitchen; silently allowing her wife to enjoy her time with her friends.

Dahyun eats up some cookies served on the table while listening to the others talking. Sana laughs when she hears a funny story told by Jeongyeon. The rest are just amused in silence because they’ve been hearing the same story for a couple of times minus the Japanese woman.

“Jeong~” Jihyo calls up her best friend while cracking some nuts. “Nayeon told me you’re not much in a good term with your son!”

“And she doesn’t believe me!” The tall woman glares at her wife while Nayeon just shrugs nonchalantly.

“I saw him and you interact earlier on. He seems decent and polite so I don’t believe you too!” Their friends snicker as Jeongyeon throws a disbelief look to Jihyo.

“Seriously, you should have seen more! That’s just like 1 of 100 awkward interactions between us!” she whined on them.

“You’re just overreacting!” they reacted.

Lunch is served by Nayeon with the help of Soojung. When it comes to stuffs like these the latter is more skillful than her own wife. Nayeon is just glad she received help or they won’t be getting the food done anytime soon and the guests have to starve. Their maids have been excused for this reason and Nayeon regretted for even telling them to leave the chores up to her solely.

The kids join the adults on the table and they begin to dig in with Seungjae sits close to Jeongyeon while Seol sits between her parents.

“How’s the taste?” Nayeon inquired and her eyes glimmered looking at her guests enjoying the food she made.

“They’re delicious, aunty! You’re a great cook!” Seol complimented politely causes Nayeon to grin in satisfaction.

“Thank you sweetie, but you should give credit to your Soojungie too!” she said while sneaking a glance towards the eldest woman.

“I just helped with the side dishes but okay,” Soojung commented before drinking some water.

“Can I have more meat?” the only boy in the house asked for a refill. Jeongyeon hesitates but attends to her son nonetheless. She asks her son what does he exactly want and they seem to not communicate very well. In the end it’s Soojung who takes the meat for him and Jeongyeon retreats her chopsticks timidly.

The younger kids are back in the game room after they clear the table. Jeongyeon, Jihyo and Dahyun take their turns in the chores doing the dishes while Nayeon makes some tea for the guests. Soojung and Sana are just chilling in the lounge room and sharing their stories.

“Your daughter is only twelve but she already looks so beautiful and matured. I think she’ll start to have more admires when she goes to middle school!” the Japanese woman was talking about Seol.

“That’s right! I can’t believe she’ll graduate primary school and gonna be a teenager soon!” the girl’s folk sighs dreamily.

“And hit puberty!” Sana pressed.

“She already did!” Jihyo joins the talk and sits beside Soojung. Their friends are shocked from her statement. “I’m not even kidding!”

“Wow, she’s surely grown really fast!”

“You’re going to have a hard time once she starts middle school!”

“And she’ll have a crush!”

“Experience heartbreaks!”

Their friends talk too much. Soojung is amused by their loud antics but Jihyo grows annoyed. “You guys are just bluffing! I started to learn about love only after I became an adult!”

“You’re clearly a different case here but not your daughter!” they grin.

“You’re not going to stop them?” Jihyo glares at her wife.

“Let them have their fun. They don’t have a daughter like we do so they definitely can’t relate!”

“Heol!” they snorted. The couple laugh at their reactions.

“Jeongyeon,” Soojung softly called her wife’s bestie. “Why do you and Seungjae look awkward together?”

“See, I told you guys we’re awkard!” Jeongyeon jumped on her seat. “Only Soojung unnie realized that!”

“And you think that’s something you should be proud of?!” Nayeon throws a cushion on her tall wife’s face. The others shake their heads while the couple continue their banter.

“What a sight!”

***

Jihyo sets the bed for her daughter while Seol cleans herself up in the bathroom. It’s been a routine for her and Soojung to take turns and tucks their daughter at night before the young girl falls asleep. Although Seol had hit puberty, she’s not complaining about her parents spoiling her this much unlike most children her age.

“Mommy,” Seol called sleepily and rubs her eyes while she lays her head on the fluffy pillow. “Seungjae oppa is lonely in his school. I can’t wait to graduate mine and be his friend at school!”

Her mommy chuckles at her innocent and sincere words before leaning down to kiss her forehead. “Sure, sweetie. Goodnight!” Jihyo switches the light off and heads to her own room where Soojung is waiting.

The other woman is already in bed playing with her tab, probably checking her assistants’ artworks from today at the studio. The former lays beside her and wraps her arm around her wife.

“Our Seol is already looking forward for her graduation,” she said and snuggles closer. “She wants to be with Seungjae, our sweet daughter!”

Soojung breathes out and puts aside her device before pulling Jihyo closer. “Seungjae must have said things that triggered her to say that. You know that boy always have a special place in her heart!”

Jihyo rests her head on Soojung’s chest. “I know but I’m going to be sad once she goes to middle school. She’s growing up too fast!”

The older lady plays with the former’s hair. “I’m sad too but maybe it’s the best for everyone. Perhaps with her presence Seungjae can learn to open up and share his agonies with his folks.”

They share a kiss as Jihyo smiles tenderly. “You’re right! It could be the best for everyone!”


***Who remembers this Seungjae is Ko Seungjae from Return of Superman? 🙋 Imagine this kid as a teenager turning adult 😍