Stay With Me 1/1

Passage of Time
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

It was a cold crisp evening in the middle of winter time when Seungwan decided to go busking in the mall during her school break. A few people stopped to stare at her as she began to set up her speakers and laptop. She felt the butterflies pool in her stomach as a crowd started to gather around her. She tapped her microphone a few times to check the sound. Once she was satisfied, she turned to her laptop to choose a song. When the music started playing, more people started to circle around, and she felt her nerves picking up. Though she stumbled and forgot a few words in her first song, the crowd appeared rather pleased as they began to put change in her guitar case. As she continued to sing, her confidence began building with each song.

After eight songs, she decided her voice needed a break and called it a night.

She stepped away from her microphone stand to thank the crowd that quickly dissipitated and she began to pack up her equipment.

As she bent down to zip up her bag, a pair of shoes stopped in front of her.

She looked up to see a girl who looked roughly her age wearing an oversized hoodie with sweatpants and heelies. The girl looked unbalanced, but appeared graceful.

“That was amazing.”

Seungwan smiled, “Thanks.”

“Do you come here often?”

“Not much. My first time actually.”

“You have a beautiful voice.”

Before Seungwan was able to say something, the girl’s mom called out to her.

“Seulgi, come on, we’re leaving.”

‘Seulgi’ turned around and yelled “okay” before turning back to Seungwan and apologizing saying she had to go.

Seulgi rolls off, but not before yelling, “I hope to see you sing again.”

Unfortunately for Seulgi, Seungwan never goes back to the mall. When Seungwan was ten, she wanted to become a singer. She would frequently participate in talent shows and singing contests. At first her parents encouraged her, but as she got older, their expectations changed.

“A singer, do you want to be homeless?”

“It’s not realistic; not everyone’s going to be a star”

“Focus on your studies; that’s how you’ll be successful and happy.”

Soon the thoughts of becoming an idol faded into the background and Seungwan’s music lessons were quickly replaced with study sessions. Her bookshelf that was once filled with trophies were now filled science textbooks and study aides. The voice that was once used to fill an auditorium was now used to simply answer questions in class presented by a professor. Instead of tugging the strings of her guitar, she was only tugging on her bag that was filled with her laptop, books and pens. She keeps her head down and works hard, trying to become someone her parents could be proud of. 

When college applications come around, she applies to the typical colleges, Seoul National, Yonsei, Korea University, etc. As she's scrolling through schools, she stops at Julliard and contemplates what to do. Her mouse hovers over the 'apply' button and she decides, why not, she probably wouldn't get in anyways. 

When she's done with her applications, she pushes them out of her mind until she recieves her first acceptance in April. She opens a letter from Julliard telling her she's in and her first reaction is excitement and soon after, it is replaced with fear. Unsure of what to do, she hides the letter in her desk. She goes to bed wondering how she is going to break the news to her parents, but just as fate would have it, she receives another letter the following day.

When she sees the smile on her parents face after reading the letter saying she received a full scholarship to Yonsei University, she knows her decision. She crumbles up Julliard’s letter later that night and buries it in her trashcan along with the rest of her dreams.

She is eighteen now and off to Yonsei with a heavy heart.

Her parents couldn’t be more happy yet Seungwan was anything but.

The first year of college is hard.

Her days are filled with attending classes and studying for exams. She barely has time for a social life, but is lucky enough to have a roommate who exuberated with Joy, which was fitting of her name.

She was a business major and music minor.

Seungwan couldn’t help but feel a hint of jealousy watching the girl go out every Saturday night while Seungwan was stuck in their dorm with her biology books. Every time she went out, she would ask Seungwan if she wanted to come, but every time Seungwan would tell her she had to study and the girl would simply nod before downing a few shots and calling a cab.

This Saturday night was no different.

Joy was long gone and Seungwan was close to pulling her hair out after reading a chapter about the cardiovascular system when she decides she needs a break. She throws her head back and groans before falling face first into her desk. She stares at her keys sitting in the corner of her table and decides ' i'” before picking them up and leaving her dorm room.

She walks across campus and looks at the door of the theater building in front of her for a few minutes, debating on whether or not to go in. She eventually decides to pull back the door and walk in.

She walks through the empty halls and down the stairs and stops in front of the music room. She takes out her keys and opens the door.

Joy had given her a copy after learning that Seungwan used to play. She encouraged the girl to go practice when she had time, but Seungwan hadn’t been able to bring herself to come until today.

She turns on the lights and scans the room. There are two pianos in the center of the room, three guitars sitting in the corner, a line of violins on the wall, a few flutes, a drum set in a corner and some triangles.

She walks up to the piano and slowly runs her fingers along the keyboard before sitting down in the seat. She presses a note, then another, and another.

She’s a little rusty, but the keys come back to her easily and she hesitantly sings a note. She holds back a wince when she hears the sound of her voice. Ever since the reality of the world set in, Seungwan hasn’t been able to sing in front of anyone.

She plays a few more keys before humming and eventually opens again to sing.

This time, her voice comes out stronger and Seungwan smiles as she sings the last words.

“Wow, you still sound amazing.”

Seungwan jumps a little in her seat before turning around to see a girl wearing a t-shirt too big for her and a pair of track pants. Her hair was in a messy bun and while her face looked a little older, there was still the same smile Seungwan had seen years ago. She was clapping by the door like a five year old who you had just given candy. When she sees the startled look in Seungwan’s eyes, she immediately stops clapping.

“Oh my god, I’m so sorry, I didn’t mean to scare you. I was practicing down the hall and I heard music coming from this room. Usually no one comes here at night.”

Seungwan relaxes a little when she hears the sincerity in the girl’s voice.

“No, you’re fine. I didn’t expect anyone to be here either.”

She raises an eyebrow, “So why are you?”

“Why are you?”

The girl gives a lopsided grin, “Touché. It’s easier to practice at night without any distractions. Easier to get lost in the music when no ones around and it’s just more relaxing overall. Now your turn.”

“Roommate went to a party and I got tired of studying. Kind of just wandered in here honestly.”

The girl hums, “What’re you studying?”

“I’m pre-dental, you?”

“Pre-med.”

“Really?”

The girl nods, “I guess you can say this is a way to destress.”

She takes a few steps forward and there's a hint of uncertainty in her eyes, “I don’t know if you remember me.”

“I do”

The girl's shoulders relax and she immediately smiles as she sticks a hand out, “I don’t think I introduced myself last time, Seulgi.”

She stares at the hand for a second before grinning and reaching out, “Seungwan.”

"You never came back to the mall."

"I didn't." (I couldn't)

Before Seulgi can comment, her phone vibrates and she takes it out to look at the message, "Well I have to get going. Maybe I’ll see you around Seungwan?”

Seungwan nods as Seulgi turns to run up the steps and out of sight.

A week passes and Seungwan finds herself wandering the theatre building again. Before she reaches the music room, she hears beats coming from another room down the hall. She hesitates before moving toward the sound and stops in front of a door that is slightly cracked open.

She peers through to see Seulgi dancing and Seungwan is in awe.

Gone was the innocent smile. Instead, a fierce gaze was plastered on her face. The clumsy steps were replaced with ones that moved with a purpose. She watched as the sweat fell down Seulgi’s forehead and her arms moved to the beat of the song.

The song eventually ends and Seungwan is disappointed. She opens the door and steps in.

“You’re a good dancer.”

Seulgi turns and nearly trips when she spins around.

Seungwan runs forward to catch the girl, “Woah, careful there.”

She steadies Seulgi who giggles, “Guess I deserve that from last time.”

Seungwan finds herself laughing along.

“Came to play the piano again?”

Seungwan nods.

“Can I come watch?"

Seungwan’s immediately stops laughing and her smile is replaced with a frown as her eyebrows furrow and she suddenly feels anxious. Seulgi seems to notice the change in demeanor and quickly changes the topic, “Or I can teach you how to dance.”

Seungwan looks up at the taller girl, “Dance?”

Seulgi steps back and does a wave, “Yeah.”

Seungwan thinks, ‘Why not?’

Big mistake.

She was like an awkward squid flinging her arms, but Seulgi is patient with her, slowly showing her the same movement again and again until Seungwan finally gets the hang of it, but it is stiff in comparison to the dancer.

“I give up.” Seungwan heaves as she plops down onto the ground and stretches out her limbs.

Seulgi sits down next to her and hands her a water bottle which she gratefully accepts.

When she finally catches her breath, she turns to Seulgi who’s sweating next to her, “So what got you into dance?”

“Mmm, I don’t know. It’s just fun you know. I’ve probably been dancing since I was like five? I

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter