The Proposal

The Proposal
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The morning it was announced, an unspoken question popped into our minds:

 

Would it be possible for us?

 

Yet almost immediately, the answer rang back, matter-of-fact like and unforgiving: No. Maybe one day, when Mamamoo was no longer Mamamoo, but 4 women who were once part of an idol group, but for now, there was nothing we could do.

 

I loved my job, for all the hours spent practising choreography until I couldn't feel my legs, and for all the nights spent pulling my hair out over lyrics and melodies. They were all worth it when I saw how our fans reacted to out music, how it resonated with them and brought them comfort like a close friend. When their faces lit up like the radishes they held in their hands, gosh, I still smile whenever I think of the ‘Moobongs' as they were so aptly named. It was all worth it to me.

 

And yet, being an idol meant that we had to sacrifice so much, freedom was granted in small amounts for some things and forever withheld when it came to other things. Romance, dating and marriage were basically synonymous with media scrutiny in the best case scenario and the end of your career in the worst.

 

When same- marriage was finally legalised in Korea, we stared at the people in the streets, with their rainbow flags held high and defeaning cheers. We were jealous, the excuse of 'it's illegal' was no longer applicable and with it, came another wave of what ifs and I wishes.

 

I sighed, looked at her and have a hand a squeeze 'one day, I promise' it had meant. She returned it, 'ok...'

 

Wheein and Hyejin didn't ask when they entered the living room, they just offered hugs and words of reassurance.

 

Oh how badly I wanted to show off to the world, my love, my reason for existence, my Sun. It would simply have to wait, or so I thought.

 

"CEO Kim, you wished to see me?" I asked as I stepped into his office, his secretary closing the door behind me. I had been in this company for so long, to me the company was like a family, with him being the stern but affectionate father. However, meeting him always transported me back to the time I was called to the principal's office in middle school.

 

"Ah Moonbyul-ssi, take a seat". He gave a warm smile and gestured to the armchair in front of his desk. I hesitated for a moment, before letting go of a breath I hadn't known I had been holding on to and settling into the chair.

 

My eyes roamed around the office, from the awards that were polished until they had a silver sheen, to the pictures of him with various important figures in the entertainment industry, before finally resting on my hands in my lap. I didn't meet his gaze, if I was called in to meet him alone, it couldn't be good.

 

"Moonbyul-ssi..." He began. I jolted upright in my seat and he tried to stifle his laughter at my reaction.

 

Well, now I know how Daebakie feels when he hears the word 'walk'. I mused.

 

"Don't worry, you're not in trouble, I just wish to discuss some...personal matters with you today" He pauses before continuing, choosing his words carefully.

 

"I'm sure you've heard of the news regarding same- marriage in Korea?" He raised his eyebrows, waiting for my confirmation. I wasn’t surprised when I heard the question.

 

Years ago, I had opted to stay back after one of our practices, I needed to work on a particularly difficult part of the choreography and as I waved goodbye to the girls, I focused on the mirror in front of me, trying to spot any mistakes. At least, that was the plan. Yongsun had a surprise for me that night that basically ended up with her giving me a in the practice room. I had been so drawn in, and yes, , that I didn’t hear the door open. After the burn of shame and embarrassment left us, CEO Kim had congratulated us and kindly opened up our schedules a little as well as covering up any mistakes we made in public, citing our close ‘friendship’ as the cause.

 

“Yes, we’ve seen the news…” he nodded, taking a deep breath, as did I, bracing myself for words I did not want to hear.

 

“If you wish to go through with it, you have my utmost support”

 

Now I was well and truly confused. Go through with it? What...oh, OH! I opened my mouth to respond but nothing came out, I cleared my throat and tried again, only to have the same result. Had he really just said what I think he just said?

 

He chuckled at my fish-like response. “I’m serious, forgive me for asking but, you are going to propose to Yongsun-ssi right?” It was uncanny, how much he knew about our relationship, before, I was 99% sure that he was a MoonSun shipper. Yes, I know the terms and lingo that our fans used (I had to admit, they were creative), how could I not? When they were plastered across online forums and that darn blue bird app. Now, I was fully convinced that he had started the whole MoonSun thing.

 

“Y-yes of course!” I stammered out, grateful that my voice had returned to me.

 

“Well then, do you have a plan?” He leaned in, eyes gleaming. Yup, definitely a shipper.

 

~ End of Part 1 ~

 

“Yongsun-ah, I have something to tell you.” It was the day before our Valentine’s Day concert. So far, preparations for ‘The Proposal’, as it was termed by Hyejin, had gone smoothly. I was glad for once that Yongsun was truly a pretty fool.

 

“Hm?” She reached for the remote and turned the TV volume down, raising an eyebrow before turning to look at me, we were cuddling together on the couch, watching a movie and enjoying each other’s company.

 

“Our parents will be coming for the concert tomorrow, surprise!” I threw in some jazz hands for theatrical effect, making her roll her eyes as her face stretched into a grin.

 

“Really? That’s great! I haven’t seen Mom and Dad in so long…” she trailed off, as I pulled her against my body, kissing the top of her head. Her beauty always took my breath away, even after so many years with her, I was still as whipped as I was when I first met her. When she smiled, it was as if I was seeing colour for the first time. Yongsun was well and truly the woman I wished to spend the rest of my life with.

 

“Yah, you’re more romantic lately, what’s the occasion?” she teased as she placed a quick peck on my cheek and sat up, positioning herself between my legs.

 

I tipped her head up with a finger under her chin. “And you look even prettier lately, I thought that wasn’t possible but you’ve proved me wrong, again,” winking as I complimented her. She cringed and turned her head away, flushing a bright pink and spluttering out a reply.

 

Well, at least I wasn't the only one that didn’t change. After all these years, she still acted like a nun whenever I acted greasily. Gosh, if I had a dollar for every ‘Isanghae’ she cried out whenever I complimented her, I would have enough money to buy over RBW.

 

“There’s no occasion, I just love you” I smiled and captured with a kiss, her hands rested on my shoulders as she pushed against me, deepening the kiss. She straddled my hips as she continued, movements slowly becoming more needy and desperate. She whined as I broke the kiss before giggling like a schoolgirl as I led her to our shared bedroom, locking the door with a soft ‘click’.

 

~ End of Part 2 ~

 

“Miss Byul, you seem a tad bit nervous,” Wheein giggled as I paced around the dressing room for the 100th time.

 

“A bit? Watching her is giving me motion sickness, unnie, please for the sake of all of us, sit down!” Hyejin scoffed beside her, earning a laugh from the other staff.

 

I shot the two she-devils a glare and sat down in one of the chairs, only to get up again moments later to pace up and down. I always seemed confident in front of the cameras, but ask anyone close to me and they would tell you I was a nervous wreck.

 

Yongsun entered the room then, and I stopped pacing the room to stare at her. She was all dolled up for the concert, her hair had been dyed a light brown and the extensions (A/N I remembered a tweet saying something about her crying whenever she read Yong having long hair in fanfics so I have to include it here) made her hair seem like a waterfall as it flowed down her back and head, framing her face perfectly. She had minimal makeup on, opting for a more natural look instead. Of course, what drew my attention was the dress she was wearing, a white flowy wedding dress with small floral designs that matched my white suit.

 

I laughed when the CEO revealed the concept for the Valentine’s Day concert, Yongsun was to be a bride and myself, the groom, with Wheesa being our bridesmaids. How obvious could it get? The whole wedding theme was an immediate red flag that would make anyone suspicious but he had cited Valentine’s Day and fanservice as the reason. Yongsun had simply assumed that this was his way of repaying us for the sacrifice of being unable to get married.

 

“You look like an angel, the stylists and makeup artists deserve a raise” I gushed.

 

“Nevermind about me, are you feeling alright?” She raised a hand to my forehead, brows furrowed in concern.

 

My heart melted, what had I done to deserve this goddess standing in front of me?

 

“I’m fine, just a little nervous because my parents are here”

 

She nodded in understanding and rubbed soothing circles into the back of my hand. Unlike Wheein and Hyejin, the two of us hadn't intended to become idols until much later in life. Needless to say, our parents weren't exactly the most supportive when we broke the news. Of course, now they wholeheartedly supported us, I still remember going back to my hometown only to have the entire Korean Peninsula packed into the house to surprise me with a huge banner that read: Welcome Home, Miss Moon Radish!

 

“Don’t worry, you’ll be fine,” she reassured, pulling me in for a hug that quickly developed into a kiss, which in turn produced gagging noises from the maknaes.

 

“Ew unnie! Are you a zombie trying to eat her face off?”

 

“Get a room! And one that’s preferably sound-proof!”

 

Yongsun stuck her tongue out at them, just as the stage manager entered the room to inform us that the show was starting soon.

 

“Hwaiting! You can do it, if it gets too much, just think of me okay? I love you,” she whispered as we started to walk on stage. I smiled in response. As the MooMoos cheered our names, I mouthed back an ‘I love you too’.

 

I waited until she turned around and slipped my fingers into my pocket, grasping the box inside, as if it could vanish at any moment. I took a deep breath, it’s showtime.

 

~ End of Part 3 ~


“Thank you all for being an amazing crowd! Unfortunately, all good things must come to an end,” Yongsun paused as the audience let out a collective “No!” and then laughter as she pouted to emphasise how sad she felt. “But before we go, we have one last song for you guys”

 

Awh...that’s so cute! Ugh, focus Moonbyul, now’s not the time to be too whipped! I scolded myself.

 

“Everybody, make some noise!” Hwasa encouraged as the first notes of the song started.


 

shigan jinamyeon iksukhame

soholhaejineun mam

pyeonanami seoroege juneun

sangcheo juneun mal

 

I tried not to let my voice waver as my heart pounded against my chest. Oh god, it was happening, it was really happening!

 

uriegen chajaoji

anasseumyeon hae

jeo meolli ujuro syung

bonaebeorija ogeineo jigeum banggeum useotji

 

The stage had transformed thanks to the backstage crew. Smoke filled the floor, a platform had been elevated in the middle of the stage and various partitions were being wheeled out by the backstage crew. To Yongsun, they were just going to be banners and post-it notes collected from the fans beforehand, the final surprise of the night. Luckily, she always closed her eyes during this song to prevent herself from crying.

 

nega useumyeon nado

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter