Maybe

The Scarecrow's Necklace

Your Pov

I lay in my bed, bundled up in layers of blankets and cold towels. I smiled, depsite feeling like a dying duck. It had been so long since I'd experienced a mother's touch, and having my own mother put me to bed was like granting my long awaited wish. Already I could smell the faint aroma of pork broth simmering in the kitchen. The scent brought back long ago memories and more tears. I snuggled deeper into my blankets, ready to catch a quick nap.

But oh! What would Jink and Taemin think?

"Umma!" I shouted, too lazy to get up and get my own phone from the living room.

"Yes dear?" she said, appearing at my doorway and looking a lot more vibrant now.

"Could you fetch my phone for me?" I asked.

"Sure dear," she said, then disppeared momentarily before re-appearing with my phone in hand. I waited patiently as the ring of Taemin's hhouse phone rang in my ear, only to be interjected with a warm hello.

"Jinki? It's me. I think ... I won't be going back anymore," I said cautiously.

"Why not?" he asked.

"It's a long story," I said, exchanging smiles with my mother, before adding, "but I'll be back to work things out, I promise."

There was a long pause on the other end of the line and I was wondering whether to prompt him when he suddenly said, "Taemin wants to talk to you."

"Okay," I agreed.

"~~~~~~~? Why aren't you coming home? Are you alright? Have you been kidnapped? How much does the kidnapper want?" Taemin trilled in an urgent tone, before I heard a soft thud and an "ow hyung!" from Taemin.

I laughed.

"No, silly. I'm just sick, and my mother's coming to live with me, so I can't go back," I explained briefly.

"Sick?!" Taemin screeched over the phone.

I winced as I held the device away from my ear, and my mother motioned me to put it on loudpseaker, which I did. What followed was a stram of incessant rants.

"Sick?! Oh good lord, what did you do? Is it very serious? Have you seen a doctor? You should see a doctor and get medicine! Hyung and I can bring you, we'll parade you right into the clinic and demand that you must see the doctor at once. But wait, isn't your mother with you? Ask her to bring you! Oh man, sick!" Taemin finally finished, a little breathless as we heard panting on the phone.

My mother raised an eyebrow at me, aused, and I couldn't help but smile a little. This boy, really. It took all of ten minutes to assure him that no, it was not a life threatening disease and that yes, my mother was taking wonderful care of me. I finally hung up with the promise that I would refrain from all junk food, and then smiled depsite myself.

"He seems like a good kid," my mother remarked.

"He is," I said fondly, then caught myself as I cleared my throat and look away, embarrassed.

My mother laughed and then placed one hand on my head, saying, "My little girl all grown up."

I smiled at her, once again feeling the prickly sensation of tears in my eyes. She must have sensed the waterworks coming on, for she hurriedly tucked me back in bed again and left to tend to her soup. I fell into sleep, and by the time I woke up the sky was black. My eyelids fluttered slowly open, and the image in front of me was a hazy one, a mash of brown. I struggled to open my eyes wider, and when I finally succeded, I yelped and curled back in surprise.

"~~~~~~! Are you feeling better?" Taein asked anxiously, one hand on my forehead to feel if I had a temperature. I was too shocked to answer him and could only stare incredulously at the sight in front of me.

"Your mum made soup for you, shall I get you some?" he continued.

I finally found my tongue as I asked,"Why are you here?"

Taemin beamed proudly.

"I was too worried, so I phoned you again to ask for your address, which ahjumma gave. Jinki is here too," he explained.

"What?!" I screamed

His face fell.

"You don't want me here?"

"No, I just - "

"Okay! I'll bring your soup in for you!"

Before I could portest, he had already bounded off my bed and scurried out. Soon his voice could be heard calling for the soup. Minutes later, he returned, in his hands a bowl of good smelling soup. I sniffed the air hungrily, motioning him to hand the bowl over quickly. To my surprise, he only ladled a spponful of the soup, blew on it, and then made me open my mouth by opening his.

I laughed and said, "I can feed myself."

He ignored me.

"Open up."

I laughed again, but opened y mouth wide so that he could deliver the soup in. I gulped the liquid down greedily, the texture and flavour all snowballing into one delicious mouthful of soup. Taemin grinned, then proceeded to feed me more soup. As I finally finished the last drop, I sank back in bed, contended. Taemin smiled at me, then left the room with the empty bowl.

"~~~~~~~~?"

I looked up and this time, it was my mother standing in the doorway. She settled down on my bed and felt my forehead, just like Taein did.

"Better," she said.

 I displayed my rows of teeth to her and she laughed, pushing back my fringe affectionately.

"He's a really good boy you know. You should treausre my future son-in-law well," she said.

"Who, Taemin?" I asked.

She nodded.

I blushed a furious shade of red before saying, "He's not your future son-in-law."

"Yet," my mother laughed, then patted me on the leg before leaving me to dress and come out.

Not yet.

I got out of bed and tiptoed to the doorway, peering out inconspiciously to the scene in the living room. I could see Taemin laughing with Jinki on the couch, his bronw hair flopping up and down. His eyes were so beautiful. I flushed again at the thought and whirled back into my bed, my heart beating fast.

Not yet.

Was it possible?

=====================================================================================

HEYYOUALL.

I HAVE IMPORTANT NEWS TO ANNOUNCE!

I HAVE A NEW STORY GOING ON, CALLED IF ALL THE RAINDROPS.

ITS FOR A CONTEST AND ITS A SHORT STORY!

SO I'D APPRECIATE IF YOU GUYS COULD LOOK AT IT & TELL ME WHAT YOU THINK. :D

Other than that, I love you all! <3

Comment Replies :

lee_xuan -- Yes, poor her right? ): But oh well, things may get better! <3

chinguchan -- Awww, so glad you like it, thanks so much! <3

Skylene -- I totally loved your comment, honestly, the great introduction to the chapter part kept ringing in my head hahahahah, thanks! <3

ILoveTaeZy -- I really love your epicness & cuteness :D *drinks champagne* <3

placebograce -- So are you love! :3

RemIsMee -- Well, we'll see as the story goes one! Love you! <3

NinjaLunara123 -- Nah, still sane (: Thanks so much yo. XD *drinks second round of champagne* <3

cierra -- CIERRA, JESS LOVES YOU. <333333333333333

shineeninja -- Yes they live together now! HAHAHHAHA, I get you you crazy lovable woman. <3

WinterRose -- HAHAHAHHA OKAY :D I'm so glad you liked the chapter and pointed out parts you liked, really! <3 Here's an updateee woohooo! I love you like a love song babeh. <3

E_magine -- Aww, happy belated! <3 I'm so happy to hear that! (:

shineeloveroverload -- HAHAHAH IT'S TRUE OKAY! Is your cousin reading? Tell her hello! <3 *shuffles with you* <333333333333

Sammery -- Yes, it really is something that happens everyday, really sad actually ): But. Glad you liked it! <3

winterbling -- HAHHAHAHA, I'll have to work on that too! <3 Here's an update lovely! <3

SHINeeGeppy - I'm glad you think so! <3 *presents update to you*

mickey_mouse -- AS SWEET AS YOU HEH. <3

StaceyHoneyBuns -- Thank you! Enjoy! <3

CassiopeiaLove -- LOVE YOU UNNIE. <3333333

onkeyjongmintae -- HAHAHHAA, I laughed at your comment! <3 I'm glad you thought it was wonderful <3

janho_taehua -- HERE YOU GO! XD

Komunhada -- I LOVE YOU MORE THAN THAT. <3

Armita_kpop -- Thanks so much darling! <3 I hope what you said comes true! ><

SuperShineeKissBeast  -- CAN I JUST HUG YOU AND KISS YOU AND TWIRL YOU AROUND AND EVERYTHING RIGHT NOW OMG. YOU REALLY MADE MY DAY! <3 KYAAAAA I LOVE YOU REALLY OMGOMGOMGOMGOG. Thank you so much lovely! <3

kpopgurl21  -- AWWW THANKS SO MUCH! <3

NinjasAndKpop -- Definitely? Awwwww, thanks! (: Have fun! :D

xMusicLOVERxMVP -- Awwww, really loved your comment too, thanks so much! (:

kwin_shine143 -- Yep, it was! Here ya go! <3

sunnybunny95 -- Thank you! <3333

pokedeyes -- LOLOLOLOL! Fanfic-sick week ahahahahah. XD Taemin finally showed up now hahahaha, and something major will happen soon! (omg first hint I've given, I so rarely five hints heh XD) 

fayeluccie143 -- I LOVE YOU SO VERY MUCH! Thank you for all your wonderful comments, they were a joy to read (: You're so lovelyyyyyyyyyy <3333333333333

omgitslara -- YES THREE SIDED FIGURE! <3

squirrell -- HAH I SAVED YOU TILL LAST BE TOUCHED. <3 I TOTALLY SMILED WHEN I SAW YOU WERE BACK OMG ITS BEEN TOO LONG I LOVE YOU MY DARLING! <3 I'M SO SORRY I COULDN'T WISH YOU ALL THE BEST IN TIME! BUT I KNOW YOU'LL DO WELL MUAHAHAHAHAH. YOU HAVE MY LOVE Y'KNOW. XD I'M HEARTBROKEN TOO. I'M SUCH A HORRIBLE CHIPMUNK. FORGIVE ME? :D