Idiots and their Memories

The Mindset of Idiots

It was another year in PD48 University. With that came new learnings, new memories, and new milestones. New things may come but some of the old stuff went, from the large vanished friendship of nine friends to the death of the Great Senior Lee Kaeun.

The sophomores were still pursuing their studies. The Engineering juniors were coping up with more struggles of their education and poverty. For Sakura, she wasn’t her vibrant self anymore. She cried of Kaeun’s death. She also ended up staying away from friends, even away from Chaeryeong, and had averted her focus on her studies to graduate.

A certain day would’ve been normal for the sophomores in Medicine when a class was interrupted with a call. “Miss Lee Chaeryeong, you’re called by Director Kim.”

Yujin and Yena were worried for their friend but Chaeryeong nodded and got out, meeting Hitomi by the door. The two friends talked while walking quickly.

“What has the Terrorist come up to?” Chaeryeong asked under her breath. “Why would she call me at this hour?”

“It doesn’t pay me to be called for work, Chaeryeong-chan. I was called during my moving exam.”

“That .” Chaeryeong stopped her. “You can go back to your class and continue your exam, Hitomi-san. I’ll go to Terrorist by myself.”

“You sure?” Hitomi asked.

Chaeryeong nodded. Hitomi thanked her and left towards her class. Chaeryeong sighed and ran towards the Director Kim’s office. She knocked and got in, seeing her sitting casually with a stern look.

“Draw yourself closer, Miss Lee.” Director Kim pointed at the spot. “Don’t forget to close the door.”

Chaeryeong nodded as she did what she was told before facing Director Kim. She was shocked that Director Kim slammed a fist before spitting. “I remember the words you told me during Kaeun’s funeral and it was offensive and unrighteous.”

“I didn’t mean to offend, ma’am. I meant that Great Senior might’ve had cardiac arrest because of stress.” Chaeryeong began. “It was said that you made her do her project for the Science Fair in exchange for her graduating rite. The thought of such a compromise would wear her out and stress her a lot, giving her a lot of pressure.”

“How dare you blame me for her death, Miss Lee Chaeryeong!?” Director Kim spat. “If Kaeun died of cardiac arrest, is it because of stress? Is it my fault?! If one student can’t handle pressure, is it our fault? Life is full of circumstances and pressures. Will you always blame others?!”

“I don’t blame you, ma’am. I blame the system.” Chaeryeong spoke, getting papers in her bag. “Research says that stress itself is a risk factor for heart disease, because chronic stress exposes your body to unhealthy, persistently elevated levels of stress hormones like adrenaline and cortisol. Studies also link stress to changes in the way blood clots, which increases the risk of heart attack. Stress is a silent killer to the system and will become a bigger killer to ourselves.” She sighed. “Great Senior may be a model but people always have limits and she reached hers too soon. It’s not and it will never be her fault, ma’am. And that’s because of the system here, ma’am.”

“I don’t have any say on that but this is the finest university in the country!” Director Kim spat. “I’ve run this place for 20 years! Directors ahead of my time maintained the excellent status of this institution and I will continue that legacy. We’ve been No. 1 ever since its foundation!”

“It’s the finest university yet it has a y system. What’s the point of that No.1, ma’am?”

Director Kim was taken aback. Chaeryeong didn’t excuse herself to say the truth.

“As I stepped foot here, they discuss things mostly on theory, not on application. Various learning methods aren’t welcomed, even art students are forced to imitate a style when they can create their own.” Chaeryeong began. “Instead of discussing important matters for learning, the discussion is mostly about grades, getting jobs, and settling with a practical ambition.”

“Lee Chaeryeong-“

“They discuss how to get good scores, not how to learn.”

“How dare you?!!” Director Kim stood up and spat, pointing her finger at the sophomore. “You think you’re better than a professor? Now will you teach me how to teach?!!”

Chaeryeong only meant to say her truth but Director Kim had a misinterpretation. She grabbed Chaeryeong’s wrist like crumpling paper and dragged her out of the office. Chaeryeong winced and wanted to get her fallen paper when she was forced to follow the Director.

She got stares from the faculty and the students. Nako and Hitomi stopped their tests, Yuri stopped painting and gasped with Minju, even Sakura reacted. No one dared to stop them and Chaeryeong didn’t mind, except for the pain she was bearing.

They arrived at her class, disrupting the professor. The students were shocked of the Director arriving with Chaeryeong, silenced like stealthy thieves.

“Professor Bae, please sit down.” Director Kim spat and she obeyed.

Chaeryeong was rooted at the front as Director Kim continued to spit. “Here is a self-proclaimed professor who thinks she is better than our highly-qualified educators. Professor Lee Chaeryeong will teach us Medicine, specifically Virology.”

Chaeryeong could only scratch her head as Director Kim sat with the students. She saw various reactions in the crowd of classmates, from Chaejeong’s snicker to her roommates’ worried looks and to Chaewon’s gasp. She lowered her head and bit her lip, even her feet were shaking a bit.

For the first time in her life, she felt ashamed for her confidence to speak what’s in her heart.

“We do not have all day!” Director Kim spat again.

All is well, Chaeryeong. All is well.

Chaeryeong took a deep breath, in and out. She puts her bag down and got the textbook, shocking the class. She grabbed a piece of chalk and flipped through the pages as she wrote something on the blackboard.

Y3N4 Virus

U.J1N I

She faced the class again, placing the book and the chalk on the table. “You have 30 seconds to define the viruses. You may refer to the Virus Journal, even with other reference books you have now. Raise your hand if you get the answer. Let’s see who comes first and who comes last.”

Chaeryeong looked at the clock and spoke. “Your time starts…now.”

Students began to open their books, searching for the terms. Chaejeong even made the move to get the textbook on the teacher’s table and Director Kim getting all the references from the student next to her. Some searched on their own and others looking on the references of others like copying answers in an exam. They’ve flipped the pages, scanned and skimmed indices and main topics but the terms were not found.

“Time’s up!”

The students were frozen. Chaeryeong saw Director Kim scan some more but she had told her that the time was up again. She took another deep breath in and out and began to talk.

“No one got the answer?” Chaeryeong began, getting silence for an answer. “Now, rewind your lives for a minute. When I asked you to define the terms, were you all curious? Were you excited? Were you astounded to learn something new? Anyone?” Chaeryeong pointed at Director Kim. “Ma’am?”

They were silent. It was then Chaeryeong got her point and shared. “No. You submitted yourselves into one frantic race. What’s the use of such methods if you came first?”

Chaejeong was the offended one and crossed her arms. The rest were still silent, others questioning themselves.

“Will your knowledge increase? No. It’s not knowledge but pressure.” Chaeryeong said again. “It shouldn’t be that way. This is college, an institution for learning…not a cornered pressure cooker.”

Yena chuckled of the idea yet Yujin shuts her up.

“Even a circus lion learns to sit on a chair and behave in fear of the whip…but you can only call the lion ‘well-trained’, not ‘well-educated.’”

“Hello!” Director Kim disrupted. “This is not a Philosophy class. Just define those viruses.”

“Ma’am, those viruses don’t exist.” Chaeryeong spoke, earning laughs from the class and a shocked expression from the two faculty. “These are my two friends and roommates, Yena and Yujin, also a special mention of another friend, Chaewon.”

Chaeryeong underlined the names and changed the numbers into proper vowels, spelling the names properly. The Roman numeral for one was also underlined and she wrote Chaewon’s name, emphasizing the WON. The three mentioned were shocked, almost chuckling. Chaejeong was speechless and the rest of their classmates laughed with every clarification. Chaeryeong could only look and grin.

“Quiet!” Director Kim silenced. “Nonsense!! Is this how you teach Medicine?!!”

“No, ma’am. I wasn’t teaching Medicine, not even Virology. Only specialists in the field can do that.” Chaeryeong said. “I was teaching you…how to teach.”

It hit the Director. How could she not figure out that she didn’t specify anything but had only said the exact same words Chaeryeong spoke? How could she not notice that Chaeryeong did just that?

“I’m sure you’ve got the idea, ma’am…and one day, you’ll learn it.” Chaeryeong pointed. “Because unlike you, I will not ridicule my skills to abandon my weak students.”

She bids ado and ran out of the classrooms, earning applauses and laughs from her classmates, especially cheers from Yena, Yujin, and Chaewon.

Director Kim was taken aback yet she spat at the whole class to shut them up.

+++

Chaeryeong ended up walking around and doing her stuff, from inserting in different classes to reading book in the library. Her last stop was at the laboratory when she saw Sakura crying. A large part of her heart was worried for the latter that she got closer, knocking on the door. “Delivery for a cherry blossom?”

Sakura looked up and smiled seeing Chaeryeong. She lets the younger one come closer and the cheeky idiot sat on her side.

“What happened to the petals? They’ve dropped from the twig.” Chaeryeong spoke and Sakura wipes her tears.

“You and your words…just like how Kaeun-chan would say.” Sakura mumbled and crouched. “I miss her so much.”

“I understand. She misses you too…up there…” Chaeryeong pointed to the sky.

Sakura looked up, seeing the sky turn gloomy. Chaeryeong asked for her wallet, in which a hesitant Sakura gave. Chaeryeong looked at the content and saw the picture she had with Kaeun.

“Good thing you put that in there.” She pointed at their picture. “Let it be your reminder to live fully and happily with life. If you laugh, the sky laughs with you. If you cry, the sky cries with you.”

Sakura had the thought, looking at the sky change color as soon as her tears stopped. Chaeryeong looked up too and saw the changes. “Kaeun-nim’s happy again, see?”

The cherry blossom laughed again. Her heart was stirred again looking at Chaeryeong, just as much as she saw Kaeun before.

“It’s great that you aren’t crying.” Chaeryeong grinned, adding a pat on her back.

“Thank you, Chaeryeong-chan.”

An applause greeted them and they saw Minju. Sakura wondered of her presence as Chaeryeong excused herself.

“Wait.” Sakura stopped her. “Come with us for dinner, Chaeryeong-chan.”

“I hate to break it to you, guys…” Minju spoke. “…I came here to check on you, Neesan…plus Yujin requested me to look for Chaeryeong.”

“Ah…right…” Sakura recalled. “…were you okay, Chaeryeong-chan? Director Kim called you before-“

“I’m fine.” Chaeryeong gave a thumbs-up. “Nothing much happened.”

“I heard from Yujin that you deflated the Director’s bosom again, like on the first day.” Minju added.

Sakura was shocked yet Chaeryeong made a peace sign and ran off. The two visuals wondered yet they chuckled.

“She’s one cheeky idiot, Sakura-neesan…gifted like Kaeun-nim.”

Sakura nodded. “You’re right, Minju-chan.”

+++

*slap*

“Woah…what was that?” Chaeryeong asked, almost dizzy.

“You deflated the Director’s bosom for the second time around, man!” Yena spat, blowing her palm.

“Thou art great, Your Eminence~” Chaewon lets her face Chaeryeong. “Accept this humble offering.”

“And for a moment, we thought you’re the decent one among us.” Yujin said while sipping tea.

Chaeryeong said and poked Chaewon’s and said. “What? That was for Great Senior plus she hurt my wrist.”

“That was witty, though~” Yena cheered as Chaewon joined them.

Yujin sighed then smirked as she pulled Yena. “Beautiful angel for you, big ducky!”

Yena looked and there was Yuri, taking pictures. She was shocked to have the same interest as her. Chaeryeong and Chaewon got the idea and the three of them pushed Yena towards the latter, facing her with a flash.

“Omo-sorry, Yena-ya!”

“It’s fine, Yuri-ya.” Yena said, rubbing her eyes.

Yena looked back to see her classmates running away, leaving her to sigh and face the latter while pointing at the camera Yuri held. “Canon?”

Yuri nodded, gleam present in her eyes that Yena could chuckle on how pretty she looked. “Well…I also like photography.”

Yena and Yuri walked side by side and the big ducky showed her the picture she took on the first day in college. Yuri wowed of the quality and the cute duckies. “They’re so cute just like you.”

Yena was damned in a good way. Yuri realized her words and apologized.

“I don’t mind, Yuri-ya.” Yena assured her. “I get that a lot, even Yujin calls me a big ducky.”

“Say…the Fine Arts Department will have a photo exhibit soon. I was hoping you could come and see the pictures.”

“Of course.” Yena agreed. “I’ll come.”

Yuri cheered with her and gave her phone. “Your number?”

Yena’s inner self was doing backflips for Yuri to get her number. She got the courage to do the same thing and got her number.

“It’s getting dark. We should go back to the dorms.” Yena said.

Yuri nodded and they walked together.

+++

Chaeryeong and Yujin were studying, all while their eyes were on the door. Finally, the wait ceased as Yena got in doing a dance while cheering.

“Aigoo…her holiness of a duck must’ve finished her missions of getting Yuri’s number.” Yujin cackled.

“Congratulations, Yena.” Chaeryeong added.

Yena grinned and hugged her roommates. “I even got a free ticket to the photo exhibit.”

Chaeryeong and Yujin cheered and hugged their roommate back. Yujin added a smack on Yena’s head, shocking her.

“You would’ve done it before.”

“I was shy…” Yena pouted, her lips resembling a cute duck’s.

Chaeryeong got her chopsticks and pinched Yena’s lips with the pair of utensils, shocking the latter again.

“What was that for?”

“That’s for being cheeky.” Chaeryeong spoke.

“Hey, Chaeryeong…” Yujin called with a smirk. “Heard from Minju that you comforted the cherry blossom of your dreams.”

Yena joined Yujin with the reactions, making a noise like it was New Year’s Eve. Chaeryeong sighed, rubbing her temples. “Should I laugh when someone’s crying out of remorse, then?”

They were silenced. Chaeryeong pinched both their cheeks and got to her bed.

“Of course not, Chaeryeong-ah.” Yena mumbled. “Sorry for the teasing.”

“Peace, bro.” Yujin added.

Chaeryeong only raised her thumb and slept early. Yujin and Yena were also sleepy and joined their roommate within their respective beds.

“Yena, don’t forget the light.” Chaeryeong mumbled underneath her blanket.

“You do it, Yujin.” Yena kicks the bed across hers. “You’re near the switch.”

“You owe me a large cup of sundae tomorrow.” Yujin huffed as she did the task and went to bed.

+++

“! THE SHOWERS AREN’T WORKING AGAIN!”

Yujin’s loud yell rang at an early morning. She wasn’t alone, though. Most of the students who were taking a shower and taking a were complaining. Chaeryeong became a victim of it too but she wasn’t going to stop there.

She got out of her shower room with a towel wrapped around her. She was covered in a lot of soap and her eyes have stung. The rest also got out, wondering of the commotion when a large gush of water went across the room.

It was Chaeryeong’s doing. She had used the fire hose as the source of their water.

“What are you doing, Chae?!” Chaewon huffed as she was already clean off of soap.

“Cleaning the showering ladies up and filling up the large gallons. They’re empty plus we’re low on water.” Chaeryeong spoke. “Just in case…”

With the rest of the showering students already clean off of soap thanks to the gushing water of the hose, they can only watch Chaeryeong fill the large gallons, even going to the cubicles to fill the pails. Chaeryeong returned the hose once she finished.

“That was out of policy, Chaeryeong.” Chaewon added, wiping her face afterward. “You could’ve been scolded by the Terrorist again.”

“Nope. She didn’t pass by.” Yujin did a lookout. “She’s safe for now.”

“THANKS FOR THE WATER, CHAERYEONG-AH!” They heard Yena. “I thought my is going to be stuck here forever!”

“Disgusting, Choi Yena! Just clean your already.” Chaewon sighed.

“I’m doing it~~”

Chaewon, Yujin, and Chaeryeong only reacted beyond voices of gratitude from other classmates as Yena was relieved.

+++

“Wake up!!” Chaeryeong yelled, banging two pans together. “I ‘aint gonna sleep ‘coz of Y'all! Y’all never gonna sleep ‘coz of me!”

Yujin and Yena were groaning and waking up slowly. Chaeryeong stopped her actions and gave soft pats to their heads.

“We agreed to hang out early, right?”

“Chaeryeong-ah…can we do it later?” Yena whined, hugging her ducky. “Yujin and I just got back from crying in our sleep.”

Chaeryeong sighed as she remembered the set of reasons to why they were crying.

First was the final exams that came and went. Chaeryeong maintained first in rank, with Chaewon in second and a bitter Chaejeong in third, while the sulking two were last in the list. Yujin and Yena would’ve been happy for their two friends but they couldn’t. As Minju said during one lunchtime with their circle of friends about human behavior: When a friend fails with you, you feel bad. But when a friend succeeds and you fail, you feel worse. Second was a missed opportunity for the two to bond with Minju and Yuri because they sulked for too long.

“You seriously believe that too much?” Chaeryeong asked.

“I would…” Yujin mumbled, head buried on her pillow.

“Well, it’s real in a sense but I don’t think it applies to the both of you.”

Yena thought Chaeryeong was a sweet smartass that she jolted up and changed. Chaeryeong also changed and Yena threw her slipper towards Yujin.

“Get your up, you pole,” Yena said again. “Let’s not dwell onto bitterness and continue living by hanging out as best friends.”

Yujin took time to wake up but she finally got to her closet and changed onto her baggy shirt and joggers.

“Alright~” Chaeryeong cheered and opened the door. “Let’s go~~”

Yena and Yujin felt light and went with their third idiot of a best friend.

+++

The three idiots were exercising through jogs as a start of their day. They got around the campus, sparing greetings to Nako and Hitomi doing early work; to Chaewon, Yuri, and Minju enjoying morning coffee; and to Sakura who was studying at the lobby early.

“Chaeryeong-chan~” She waved. “Don’t forget to come to my congratulatory party!!”

Chaeryeong gave a thumbs-up and caught up with Yujin and Yena. The two witnessed the scene and cooed at her. “Lovergirl and smartass~~~”

Chaeryeong rolled her eyes and ran very fast. Yujin and Yena chased her up until they got the highest building in the university. The three wowed of the wind and the nice view of the university. Yujin went to the edge to sit down as Chaeryeong had an idea.

“Yena, I got a surprise for you.” She grinned, grabbing her hanky in her pocket.

“What is the surprise?” Yena asked.

Chaeryeong didn’t answer as she covered Yena’s eyes. She led the big ducky to where Yujin was as the taller pulled Yena to sit with her. Chaeryeong was on Yena’s right and pulled her blindfold away.

The large ducky was quacking loudly as she backed away. She was damned to how her best friends triggered her of her acrophobia.

“YAH! GET ME OUT OF HERE!”

Yujin and Chaeryeong restricted her from going anywhere. Yujin even raised her legs while easing Yena’s worries.

“All is well, remember?” Chaeryeong eased her too, patting her chest.

“I could’ve done it some other time but why now?!!” Yena flipped out.

Yujin attempted to push Yena off and the big ducky grew scared again, reaching to hug Chaeryeong. Chaeryeong smiled lightly and hugged her back.

“Hey. Don’t forget me!!” Yujin grinned and joined the group hug.

Yena puts her arms around their necks as they watched the Sunrise, giving them the hope of another day.

+++

The three went back down and passed by a series of students doing a performance.

“Ah…from Yuri’s department.” Yujin pointed.

“Silly. Yuri’s majoring in Visual Arts and Performing Arts in Singing, not Dancing.”

“OMG-you know~~” Yujin again.

Chaeryeong enjoyed the beat and joined them, shocking the witnesses. Yujin and Yena cheered for their friend, with the rest of their squad next to them.

“I didn’t know Chaeryeong was a good dancer,” Yuri commented.

“Same,” Yena mumbled.

“She has excellent moves!” Minju wowed and applauded.

Nako and Hitomi give woos as Chaewon clapped silently. In another part, Sakura was with a woman. She would’ve been pulled to walk again when she stopped to look at Chaeryeong.

“You seemed to have some interest in her.” The woman she was with mumbled. “I hate that.”

“Jurina-san, that’s not nice.”

Jurina rolled her eyes as Sakura looked at Chaeryeong. She had this feeling, a mix of happiness and pain.

She was reminded of Kaeun. Just like Chaeryeong, Kaeun was a smartass dancer.

“Stop that now.” Jurina pulled her away. “You’ll only be reminded of her again.“

A slap greeted Jurina and Sakura went off, drawing near her circle of friends. They greeted her but they noticed her distressed look.

“You okay, Neesan?” Minju asked then sighed as she saw someone crossing her arms. “Has the said bothered you again?”

“Minju, Jurina’s not an ,” Sakura answered. “She’s just cocky.”

Minju didn’t talk about it again as she applauded with the others. Chaeryeong finished dancing and bids goodbye by running away again. Yena and Yujin spared goodbyes as they chased Chaeryeong again. Their circle of friends could only laugh.

“They’re like the three musketeers,” Chaewon commented.

“And they’re cute,” Yuri commented, in which Minju agreed.

Sakura adored their friendship. Then again, her heart had a nostalgic reaction as her eyes set on Chaeryeong.

+++

They got outside the university, drenched in their sweat and parched from all the running. They sat by a bench located near the gate and chuckled.

“This is one heck of a bond for us,” Yujin commented.

“You could say that again,” Chaeryeong added.

Yena nudged them and pointed to a scenario of Chaejeong stalking two girls as they’re heading inside the university. Chaejeong would’ve succeeded if she watched where she was going and didn’t end up hitting on the wall with her books scattered around. The three chuckled of it.

“Was that some drama or a comedy skit?” Yena cackled. “That was like watching a whole series.”

“The shocking part is that Miss 79’s got some love life ahead of her.”

“More like love lives.” Chaeryeong added, making Yujin laugh. “It’s good, though. That way, she won’t cram with thick books and screw herself for the next forty years.”

Yena and Yujin reacted. Chaeryeong had a plan and spoke. “Shall we give a greeting to Miss 79?”

“Nice~~” Yena gave a thumbs-up. “Let’s go.”

The three idiots returned inside the university and crept towards Chaejeong. Chaeryeong got a pointy stick along the way and went near Chaejeong. She pricks her with it, earning a wince and a scene where Chaejeong glared at Nako.

She went mad and attempted to hit Nako with her books. The midget was always quick and caught up to the three idiots who ran. They got to the lobby and rested with laughs.

“What was that about?” Nako cackled.

“Giving Miss 79 a taste of her medicine,” Yena answered. “And I can’t believe she attempted to hit someone who’s older.”

“Don’t mind. Karma’s a …she’ll get a taste of it soon.”

“Those are some nifty parts you got, Nako-san.” Yujin noticed her carrying a lot of bits and bobs. “Is that for a project?”

“Yeah. It’s for Hitomi and me.” Nako checked her watch. “Which reminds me…I need to go and help her.”

“Nako-san, you can ask me too.” Chaeryeong raised before she went further.

“I’ll get that in mind, Your Eminence.”

Nako bids them goodbye and went. The three huffed and were worn out from their early hangout.

“I think we should go back to the dorm. I’m exhausted again.” Yujin huffed. “Chaeryeong, why did you even engage this?”

“Because I want my friends to be relieved from all the stress,” Chaeryeong answered, gaining a look from them. “You went through some very hectic stresses. I was the concerned roommate so I decided to engage this sudden and unusual hangout with you guys in order for you to relax.

“You are one caring smartass. Do you know that, Chaeryeong-ah?” Yena asked.

“I get that a lot.”

“Aigoo…no need to be too humble.” Yujin wraps her arm around Chaeryeong’s neck. “Thanks a lot, buddy.”

“No sweat.”

The three of them yawned and walked towards their dorm room together.

+++

It was another special day. Another batch has graduated in PD48 University. For a circle of friends, they were all dressed up in semi-casual suits as they stood and applauded to welcome the student of the year.

Student of the Year: Miyawaki Sakura

The cherry blossom walked the aisle in her black toga with a pastel pink strap by the neck, symbolizing her course. She got to the pedestal and got her diploma and her hug from Director Kim. Yuri and Yena got to the center to take their pictures. For Yuri, seeing Sakura’s face hurt her.

She would’ve been happy but she wouldn’t, all because her inspiration couldn’t live long enough to see her graduate.

Sakura got back to her fellow Nursing graduates and the ceremony went on, its ambiance filled with varying happenings from families tearing up in joy of seeing their little ones grown and graduating to cheers from a circle of friends as they ran towards their friend.

They stopped a bit as she was talking with a fellow graduate. She had a back toga with an orange strap and had an arm wrapped around the latter, almost in a flirtatious manner.

“A little bit of control, Jurina…if you please…”

“Sakura-san~” Chaeryeong waved nonetheless.

Sakura smiled and got her attention. The rest of her friends congratulated her, with Minju hugging her.

“Thank you so much, guys.” Sakura raised her graduation hat. “Now back to the university for the congratulatory party~~”

Everyone cheered and followed the cherry blossom.

+++

The congratulatory party was an annual event for graduates. They were given a celebration and the privilege to invite their juniors. For Sakura, she invited her circle of friends.

Yena and Yuri were taking a lot of pictures for memory. Minju and Yujin were talking by the veranda. Nako and Hitomi were enjoying the food. And for Chaeryeong and Chaewon, they were drinking a bit of tequila.

“Just one shot.” Chaewon reminded her.

“I know.” Chaeryeong nodded.

She puts the shot glass down, watching Sakura talking to the same girl that held her waist. She nudged Chaewon, asking. “Who’s she?”

“Ah…that’s Matsui Jurina. A graduate of Engineering.”

“I heard from Minju that she’s an .”

“She is.” Chaewon said, shocking Chaeryeong. “Her parents and Sakura-san’s were really close friends so they were betrothed.”

“How come she was dating Kaeun-nim before?”

“The betrothal was off. However, Jurina-san was still eager to make it happen.”

Chaeryeong saw Sakura shove a drunk Jurina off and went to Chaewon and Chaeryeong. Chaewon greeted Sakura and excused herself for some fresh air, leaving Chaeryeong with Sakura.

“Are you having fun, Chaeryeong-chan?”

“Yeah.” Chaeryeong nodded, raising a glass of juice. “Congratulations, Sakura-san.”

Sakura said her thanks. Chaeryeong continued to drink when she noticed her tears. “Sakura-san, why are you crying?”

Sakura wiped them off and spoke. “Can you come with me somewhere?”

Chaeryeong gulped but agreed nonetheless. “Where are you going anyway?”

“I want to see my favorite people.”

+++

With the ambiance of crosses and stones, Chaeryeong gulped as they got to the dark and damp place. It was shocking to come with her but at the back of her mind, it was an opportunity that needs to be grabbed. Chaeryeong only stood behind as Sakura got lilies and placed them in front of the stone.

“Kaeun-chan…I did it…” Sakura spoke, tearing up. “If only you were here with me to celebrate.”

Chaeryeong thought it was very awkward. She felt like a third wheel standing like a bodyguard. She heard the five stages of grief within her words and she felt them to the core. It seems that she felt her heart break hearing them.

“Chaeryeong-chan.” Sakura called. “Come sit with me.”

Chaeryeong nodded and sat next to Sakura. Sakura noticed a different side of Chaeryeong. She never thought the cheeky sophomore who deflated the Director’s bosom also knew how to stay quiet. She also noticed Chaeryeong fidgeting on her pockets that Sakura reached to ease her.

The touch sparked something in Chaeryeong. It was a spark from long ago that grew stronger.

But her conscience said not to cling on it for too long.

“What’s in your pocket?” Sakura asked.

Chaeryeong sighed and showed a wristband. Sakura knew what it was and she asked again. “Why did you bring it?”

Chaeryeong sighed. She had to tell her. “I…I knew at one time that Kaeun-nim suffered from something. It’s why I made this wristband. It was supposed to be for her, a gift for graduation to make the pace of her raging heartbeats but I couldn’t give it to her.”

“Yuri and Minju shared it to me…”

“Oh…I see…” Chaeryeong nodded then handed it to Sakura. “So… consider it as a memory and a gift at the same time.”

Sakura looked at the wristband and wore it, all the while she cried. That hand has held onto Kaeun’s tombstone. Chaeryeong smiled lightly. Even if she considered it as her future project for school, she realized that Sakura needed it more. It would be the memory she can give to the couple.

Her conscience cursed. Why does she have to be a caring smartass?

“Chaeryeong-chan, there’s still one more we need to visit.”

Chaeryeong nodded and followed Sakura to another tomb. She got lavenders this time and puts them by the stone. The process repeated itself until Sakura mentioned a name.

“Eunbi-unnie…I did it…”

Chaeryeong was shaken. Did she really hear that right?

“Chaeryeong-chan?”

Chaeryeong was back to reality as Sakura got closer to her, facing her.

“What is it?”

“Thank you for coming with me…and for this gift.” Sakura showed the wristband. “Kaeun-chan and I are really happy.”

“You’re welcome.”

Chaeryeong lets Sakura go ahead when the cherry blossom held her hand and pulled her to walk by her side. The hold was intact and Chaeryeong’s conscience had a raging and beating heart.

Chaeryeong was perplexed of her moment with Sakura, from an awkward phase of giving the wristband to the name she could’ve heard. But for now, it didn’t matter. Her little time with Sakura mattered. She decided to cherish it before it’ll fade down memory lane.