The Day After

The Day After

A/N
Ppyeo haejangguk=Hangover Soup (it's delicious ^^)
Meongcheonghan ahjussi=Thickheaded/stubborn old man
 

 

 

Morning came early, as it should for someone sleeping outside. Nik’s heart nearly stopped when she opened her eyes to Jung Pilkyo, the man that had been her ultimate bias for many years, but the man that she had used to measure any and all others. She had always made jokes, feeling dumb for putting someone she had never met and didn’t truly know in such high regards. But, that is the life of a fangirl. But now, with the morning sun coming up from the east, she could see every wrinkle he had earned over his nearly forty two years.

His breath smelled like the beer he had been drinking the night before and she made a face. It was chilly and she could see the goose bumps prickling his neck. Silently groaning, and truly not ever wanting to move, she gently pried herself from the sleeping man, having to fight the urge to ‘awww’ at him curling in on himself once her body heat had been taken from him.

She quickly made her way back into Dongwan’s house and laughed when she found Sunho and Choongjae sharing the couch fast asleep. After a quick search, Nik found a blanket and pillow and returned to find Pilkyo still asleep, now practically in the fetal position. She covered him up and gently lifted his head to lay it on the pillow. Afterwards, she looked around the yard and found a few things for a makeshift shield so that the sun wasn’t hitting him as he slept.

Nik spared him one more glance before making her way into the kitchen. She rummaged through all of Dongwan’s cabinets and fridge. Double checking her recipe, she found almost everything she needed to make soup. She ran to the door to grab her phone and earbuds from the bag she had brought then returned to begin chopping the onions and garlic.

 

“danji neol saranghae ireoke malhaetji

ijekkeot junbihaetdeon manheun mareul dwirohanchae

eonjena ni yeope isseulge ireohge yaksogeul hagesseo

jeohaneureul baradabomyeo”

Nik was startled by a hand on her shoulder. In one fluid motion, she ripped out her earbuds, picked up the knife she had discarded earlier, and spun around to rip the wrist and person attached to it, holding the knife ready to attack. Minwoo looked scared for his life and raised his hands in surrender. Nik quickly released him and sat the knife down, face completely flushed. “I’m so sorry,” she pouted. “Are you okay?” She gave a ninety degree bow, almost ready to fall to the floor to ask for forgiveness.

Minwoo, now feeling safe again, started laughing, wincing slightly. “That’s one hell of a reflex.” He lifted at Nik’s shoulder to make her right herself, then rubbed at his head. “Were you really just singing Candy in a Shinhwa house?”

Nik gave him a sheepish look, rubbing her arm and chewing her lip. “It came on my playlist…”

“Shame on you,” he continued smiling then sniffed in the direction of the now boiling pot sitting on the stove. “Smells good, whatcha making?”

“Ppyeo haejangguk. Figured some of y’all would need it this morning.”

“You know us so well.” Minwoo grabbed a spoon and scooped some broth out to taste. “Where’d you learn this?”

“Eomma...ah...Pilkyo-ssi’s mom has been teaching me how to cook.” Ignoring the look Minwoo was giving her, Nik turned away to put some rice in the cooker. “You don’t think Dongwan-ssi will be upset that I’ve taken over his kitchen, do you? I didn’t really think about it, just knew that eventually a bunch of previously drunk ahjussis would be waking up in need of something to ease the hangover.”

“The only thing he’d be upset about is you calling him both Dongwan-ssi and an ahjussi in the same breath.” Minwoo laughed and Nik let out a sigh of relief. He gently massaged his temples, hangover plain on his face. “I think he’s going to love you forever for preparing this, actually...but maybe Pilkyo has beaten him to the punch?”

Nik rolled her eyes and shoved at him playfully, blushing furiously but trying to ignore it. “You don’t have a hangover, do you? You’re must still be drunk, talking like that.”

“We saw the two of you out there last night. Looked pretty cozy to me.”

Nik shook her head, staring hard into the pot. “We were just talking.”

“And then sleeping together. I may have passed out before the two of you, but I know for a fact the only way Jung Pilkyo would be asleep out there is because he fell asleep with you out there.”

“Yes, we fell asleep. But that’s all there is to it. Eomma...his mom has been taking care of my son and me, so we have a few things to talk about.”

“He mentioned that. You’re close with his mom?”

“She’s the closest thing we have to family here. She’s taken me under her wing in the kitchen, and Appa...his dad has become a strong male figure for my son to look up to.” Nik left the pot of boiling soup in search of bowls. Once found, she scooped rice into one and soup into the other. “Sit. No more talking foolishness. Eat, get rid of that hangover.”

“Thank you. I’m sure I will feel much better after this.”

“What smells so good?” Dongwan asked as he walked into the kitchen, rubbing the bridge of his nose and closing the blinds and curtains to block out as much light as possible..

“Nik made soup.”

“I hope you don’t mind. I’ll replace everything I used…” she trailed off when she felt a gentle hug. “Go sit down and I’ll bring it to you.”

“Thank you.” He patted her back and slowly went to take a seat next to Minwoo.”

 

Nik watched as the two ate in silence for a while until Hyemi and Junghyuk joined them in the kitchen, the oldest looking worse for ware. Nik hummed happily to herself as she bowled up some soup and rice for the two while Hyemi led her husband to the table.

“I think someone’s getting to old to recover from a night of drinking,” Hyemi said aloud.

Nik laughed. “I think that there are several someones that fit in that category now.”

“Rude...So how old are you, anyways?” Dongwan asked, feeling a bit better after consuming the soup.

“I am thirty one...ah...crap I mean thirty...three...I forget, I was born in ‘89?”

Dongwan nodded, “Thirty three.”

“So I’m still the youngest,” Hyemi pouted.

“And the most attractive,” Nik said as she filled Dongwan’s bowl again, which earned her a glare from both Minwoo and Dongwan. She smirked and shrugged. “I only speak the truth.”

“I agree,” Junghyuk said around a spoonful of his soup.

Hyemi glowed from the compliments. “It’s nice to have another woman around. Unless the dancers come to the get togethers, I’m usually the only one.”

“This is probably just a one time thing…”

“Not if you cook,” Minwoo interrupted. “We won’t let you leave, then.”

“Obviously she can cook,” Junghyuk said as he motioned to his empty bowl, which Nik took and refilled. “Definitely not letting you leave.”

At that, Sunho and Choongjae finally made their appearance. They dragged themselves in about as cheerfully as Junghyuk had, and Minwoo helped them into chairs while Nik grabbed more bowls.

“Pilkyo hyung still asleep?” Sunho asked after a few bites.

Everyone else looked at Nik who shrugged. “I guess so. I built him a little shelter this morning since the sun was coming up. He was up really late.” She ignored the looks the rest of the room was giving her. She chewed her lips, images of last night flooding her vision.

 

Everyone was talking quietly an hour later. Nik and Sunho were talking about her son and auditions and his company at the counter while everyone else was in the living room lounging on his couches when Pilkyo finally made an appearance. Nik motioned in his direction with her head to Sunho then turned to reheat the soup she had made earlier.

“How did you sleep, hyung? You must have drunk a lot to have fallen asleep outside.” Sunho asked quietly as he helped the obviously hungover Pilkyo to a chair at the table.

Pilkyo made an uncomprehendable sound, sitting down slowly as to not aggravate his head more. “...time is it?”

“Almost noon, hyung. We were all surprised you slept outside so long.”

Pilkyo shrugged, but looked up when Nik placed a bowl of steaming soup in front of him. “Eat. It’s Eomma’s recipe.” Nik felt her heart leap at the look Pilkyo gave her. He was simply grateful for the hangover cure.

After eating silently under the watchful eyes of both Sunho and Nik, who had went back to their previous conversation, Pilkyo looked much better. “Where did that tent come from?” he finally asked.

“Ah, um...the sun was coming up and I figured you would want to sleep in later than the sun would allow…” Nik trailed off when he made a sound of understanding.

“And the pillow and blanket?”

“The air was chilly,” she answered quietly, filling his bowl once more and then looking for something to store the leftovers in.

“Thanks…”

Nik nodded and bit her lip, not sure if he was thanking her for the soup or the shelter or both. A thousand thoughts were passing through her head as Pilkyo went back to eating in silence. Sunho, obviously tired of Nik searching all of the cabinets, quickly opened one and pulled out the tupperware she had been looking for, and she thanked him quietly with her best smile.

She kept her back to Pilkyo, now, making herself busy cleaning up the mess from her cooking. She grinned happily when she found almond flour and started pulling out a few more items, deciding to bake now that almost everyone seemed to feel a bit better.

“Yah!” Pilkyo said, much louder than Nik thought he would after waking up with such a horrible hangover.

Nik spun around, clutching her heart and one hand on the nearest object which turned out to be a butcher knife. “What’s wrong?” she asked when she saw both men staring at her.

“I asked you a question three times. Did you not hear me?” Pilkyo asked, obviously annoyed at being ignored. Nik shook her head and pouted as she slowly put the knife down. “I asked what song you were humming. It sounds really familiar.”

Nik tilted her head, glancing between Sunho and Pilkyo. She had to think about it, having not realized she had been humming. “Do you not know what you were humming?” Sunho asked, humor in his voice.

She shook her head and then “Oh! It was Nobody Knows.”

“By Babyface?” Pilkyo asked.

“Yeah...I guess it just popped into my head. I have a radio playing twenty-four seven that I have no control over most of the time.”

“You like Babyface? That’s a bit old for you, isn’t it?” Sunho asked before Pilkyo could.

“Yeah. I listen to a lot of ‘90s R&B still. Probably more now than I did back then.” Nik turned to go back to baking.

“What are you making now?” Sunho was examining the ingredients, and also trying to aggravate his hyung by not letting him talk.

“It’s a surprise,” Nik’s eyes glowed as she answered. “Just a recipe I have been perfecting for the past five or so years.”

“If it’s half as good as the soup, I can’t wait to try it. We are definitely going to have to keep you around.” Sunho pat her on the back, examined the ingredients one more time, and then headed into the living room where the rest of the group was.

Nik worked, turning her head occasionally to see if Pilkyo had finished his bowl. She was incredibly thankful for the fact that Dongwan had a stand mixer, making her job a lot easier. She turned it on medium as Pilkyo was finishing his bowl, and she walked over to take it once he sat it down.

“How long have you been up?” He finally asked.

Nik scrunched her face in thought. “I woke up as the sun was rising, sooo...however long ago that was. I didn’t check the clock.”

“Did you get ANY sleep? How late were you up?”

Suddenly Nik was aware that Pilkyo may not remember them falling asleep cuddled up that morning. That realization made her heart hurt slightly. She knew it had probably been the alcohol that had made him so affectionate, but it still stung a bit.

She was still having her internal conversation when Pilkyo yelled. “Yah! I asked you did you get any sleep? Are you falling asleep standing up?”

Nik bowed and apologized, wincing at being yelled at. She really needed to stop letting her mind go off like that. “I’m sorry, I was just trying to think about how much sleep I got. I may have gotten an hour or two. I’m not quite sure how late I was up. I didn’t check the time when I laid down…” She was frowning and turned away to check on the mixing bowl.

Pilkyo got up to stand next to her, and she felt the scrutiny of his gaze. “You should go take a nap.”

Pushing her thoughts, her fears, and her uncertainties aside, she forced the brightest smile she could on and looked into his eyes. “I’m baking.” She stuck her tongue out when he frowned.

“You need a nap. You look tired.”

Nik chewed her lip a moment, watching his eyes trail up and down her face, and then turned back to check on the mixer again, happy when she saw the consistency was where it should be. “I will consider a nap once I’m done baking.” She bumped him with her hip then reached around him to get a piping bag she had made out of wax paper.

“And what are you baking?” Pilkyo asked, annoyance obvious in his voice.

She took in a breath and gave him a quick glance. “What do you think I’m making?” She motioned to the sweet potato skins sitting in the trash bowl, the white chocolate bar sitting close by, and the stand mixer full of an orangish fluffy mixture. Pilkyo just shrugged. “Aww, no guesses?” Nik put on her best pout.

“Just tell me.”

“But where’s the fun in that?”

“Where’s the fun in what?” Dongwan asked, walking into his kitchen. “Ou, Sunho said you were baking. What are you fixing for us now?” His thousand watt grin plastered on his face as he leaned on the counter on the other side of Nik from Pilkyo. He went to reach into the bowl but Nik quickly removed his hand.

“She won’t tell me what she’s baking and said it’s more fun if I guessed,” Pilkyo let out an annoyed sound.

“Since you’re in here, do you have a black marker? You know, so I don’t have to keep going through all of your drawers.” Nik asked, turning her back on the grumpy Pilkyo to happily face the cheerful Dongwan.

Dongwan laughed and walked a few steps over and grabbed a marker from a drawer. Nik took it from him with a nod and quiet ‘thank you’, and then proceeded to grab a baking sheet and beer bottle, then make a few dozen circles. “I think I know what you’re making,” Dongwan beamed, watching her take another sheet and turning it into a piping bag.

Nik nodded, turned the baking sheet over, filled the bag, and then began making little circles out of the batter she had made in the stand mixer. “Alright, they need to sit for about 10 minutes before I can bake them.” She then preheated the oven. “So,” she turned back to Pilkyo, grinning and trying to hide any anxiety she had. “Have you figured out what I’m baking?”

“Cookies,” he answered, rolling his eyes.

“What kind of cookies?” she pressed, crossing her arms and smirking, pulling her bottom with her teeth.

“Sweet potato?”

Nik patted the top of his head and grabbed the butcher knife she had previously accidentally threatened him with and began roughly chopping up the bar of white chocolate.

“She’s baking macarons,” Dongwan finally informed him. Nik pursed her lips in a pout. She was planning on keeping him in the dark until she had put the cinnamon white chocolate ganache between the cookies and handed him one to eat.

“Really?” Pilkyo asked, seeming excited now. Nik nodded as she pulled out milk from the fridge and measured it out before turning on the stove. “You know how to make macaroons?”

“I know how to make a lot of things. While I am still learning Korean dishes, baking has always been a hobby of mine. I can bake cupcakes, cookies, cakes, and pies. Even learned to make mooncakes for Lily. Hmm, that reminds me. I need to teach Choongjae oppa how to make those.” Nik laughed to herself, remembering once that Lily had said she would marry her if she baked mooncakes. She ignored the confused looks she received from both men and proceeded to put the cookies into the oven and then stir in sugar and cinnamon.

 

Thirty minutes later, the entire kitchen smelled of cinnamon and sweet potato. Nik convinced Dongwan to make coffee for everyone to go along with their sweet treats. She then proceeded to kick both men out of the kitchen to relax, then filled 8 mugs full of steaming hot coffee, placed them on a makeshift tray, then stacked the sweet potato macaroons with a sweet cinnamon white chocolate ganache in a pyramid on another plate and made her way to the rest of the party.

Everyone moaned in unison at the sight of coffee and macaroons. “Okay, seriously. Someone better marry her so we can keep her around,” Minwoo addressed his brothers. Nik bowed her head and blushed as she sat the cookies down and passed coffee out to everyone. “You think I’m joking?” Minwoo teased when he received his cup.

“So take your pick. Which of our brothers are you going to marry?” Junghyuk chimed in. Nik’s face resembled a tomato as she bit her lip and took a seat on the ground, resting her back on the couch Pilkyo had sat on.

“Well it can’t be me. She’s trying to set me up with her friend in New York,” Choongjae announced.

Nik was sure she was going to die at this point. Her face was beet red and there was way too much focus on her and Pilkyo was there and it was just…

“Well if Pilkyo doesn’t step up soon, I’ll marry you,” Dongwan laughed. The entire room erupted in laughter aside from Pilkyo and Nik, who were now both completely flushed.

Nik bit her lip, trying to come up with a way to ease the pressure on her painfully thumping heart. “Who says I need to marry one of y’all to stick around?” She reached out to grab another cookie and kept her gaze down.

Everyone was staring at her. “You said this was just a one time thing,” Minwoo reminded her.

“I don’t...I didn’t know if everyone would actually want me around.”

“Well I demand you come around as often as you can,” Hyemi said. “I need some reprieve from these lunatics sometimes.” Everyone laughed, and no one disagreed.

Nik shrugged. “If y’all want me around, and it’s okay with everyone,” she paused, letting her eyes make contact with everyone in the room, ending with Pilkyo as she craned her neck back slightly and keeping contact with his. “If it’s okay with everyone, I’ll be around as much as y’all allow.”

Minwoo and Sunho cheered. “Looks like it won’t be just up to us to cook anymore, hyung,” Sunho laughed.

Nik kept eye contact with Pilkyo a moment longer, smiling when he did, and laid her head back against the couch.

 

Between the eight of them, all fourty cookies were demolished. Nik got up to gather the now empty mugs, napkins, and plates to take back to the kitchen, but Pilkyo put his hand out to stop her. Nik pursed her lips and made to get up again and again she was stopped. “What?!” She asked aggravatedly.

“Go upstairs and take a nap. We can clean up.”

“I made the mess, I clean it up.” She then stepped out of his reach and began collecting everything.

“You said it yourself, you barely slept. Go take care of your health. You’ve already taken care of us enough.”

Nik smirked. “I am ten years younger than you. I have more energy than you. Just let me clean.” She was suddenly aware that everyone was now watching their argument, but tried to ignore it.

“Why are you so stubborn. No one asked for you to do all of this.”

“But I’m good at it.”

“Will you take a nap after everything is cleaned up?” Pilkyo was massaging his temple, clearly annoyed at her behavior. But what did it matter to him?

“I’ll consider it.” She smiled happily, assuming she had won.

“Fine, then I’ll help.” Nik groaned as Pilkyo then started picking up what she had not already gathered.

‘Meongcheonghan ahjussi,’ she mumbled under her breath. Junghyuk, who had overheard her, started laughing.

“I wash, you dry?” Nik offered after throwing out the napkins and stepping over to the sink.

“Or I could do both and you could stop being so stubborn.”

“I really can’t,” Nik laughed. Pilkyo groaned but grabbed a towel to dry the dishes passed his way. “I called Aaron earlier this morning. He said Appa and Jingyo were taking him out for a ‘Boys Day’ next weekend. Also said that Eomma had bought him a new game.”

Pilkyo chuckled. “I have great parents.”

“You really do.” Nik had to fight the urge to rest her head on Pilkyo’s shoulder as she continued washing dishes. He was just standing so close…but that would be weird and now that she knew that he was only like that with her last night because he had a few drinks, she couldn’t be like that with him. They barely knew each other and...

“...Boys Day?”

“Huh?” She asked, realizing she had gotten lost in thought once again.

Pilkyo sighed but repeated his question. “Did he say what they were doing on their Boys Day?”

“He said they were going to go fishing and then probably a movie.”

Pilkyo nodded. “So what were you thinking about when you didn’t hear me this time?”

“I’m sorry about that. I don’t mean to, my brain just likes to wander and…”

“I asked what you were thinking about, not for an apology.”

Nik hung her head, scrubbing the last mug longer than necessary. “I’m sorry. I was, uh, thinking about...how wonderful both of your parents have been to my son and me. I’m just so thankful for everything. Appa takes care of Aaron, has really become a good male role model. And Eomma has taught me so much about cooking, and really just being the family that we need. While neither of us miss Texas, we do miss our family.” He seemed to buy the lie.

“Eomma always wanted a daughter. She’s not as close with Hyeon. I’m grateful that you are filling a void Jingyo and I never could.”

“She loves both of y’all so much, though. I originally wondered why she never said either of your names when discussing y’all and was vague about your career, but I figured out why now. But she always talked about y’all with so much love in her eyes and in her voice.” Nik couldn’t help but bump him slightly, then, resting her head for the briefest of moments against his bicep before handing him the last cup. As he dried it, she wiped down the sink and double checked to make sure there was no mess left from her earlier cooking.

“Is there a time you wanted to head back? I’m not in a rush, but if you wanted to leave I can make an excuse.”

“I’m in no hurry. Aaron said for me to stay gone as long as possible...rotten brat,” she rolled her eyes and smiled.

“Good, then you can go upstairs and take a nap.” Pilkyo had a stern look on his face, presumably leaving little room for argument.

“Or I could go outside and get some fresh air.” Nik had to fight the smirk wanting to make an appearance when she saw him getting frustrated again. She understood why everyone picked on him, he’s just so easy.

“Nap,” he argued, stepping into her personal space and pointing towards the stairs.

She quirked her eyebrow at him but headed towards the living room where the stairs were. She then stopped, turned towards Hyemi, and with her biggest grin asked, “Hey, would you want to go for a walk with me? Get some fresh air and some time away from…” her grin got brighter as she bit her lip and looked Pilkyo directly in the eyes. “Away from the guys for a while?” She suppressed the laugh that was trying to make its way out and turned back to Hyemi.

“That sounds wonderful. I could use some fresh air.”

Nik reacher her hand out and Hyemi took it, standing up from her spot on the couch beside her husband. The women could hear Pilkyo complaining as the door shut, which had both of them doubled over in laughter for a moment.

Hyemi wrapped a hand around Nik’s and they headed down the road. “So what gives?” She finally asked when the house was no longer visible. Nik gave tilted her head in confusion. “Oh don’t give me that. What’s going on with you and Pilkyo?”

Nik frowned and shrugged. “Nothing. We met yesterday.”

“No one would guess it from the way the two of you are together.” Hyemi squeezed slightly in a comforting way. “What do you think of him?”

Nik shrugged again. “I think he’s a great guy who loves his mother, even if he’s not around much. I think that he likes to nag…” she held in any other comments, all the things she’d learned from watching him before they met.

“Do you like him?”

“We just met. Do you want to know if he’s my Shinhwa bias? He always has been.” Nik was suddenly frustrated. She took a deep breath. There’s no reason to get snippy when Hyemi was obviously just trying to be friends. “I’m sorry.”

“Don’t apologize. I’m prying. But that doesn’t mean I’m gunna stop.” Hyemi giggled at Nik’s exasperation. “So why is he your bias? Does that mean he’s your ideal type?”

Nik stopped her feet, looking up towards the sky. “He is...but that’s irrelevant.”

“The two of you fell asleep together last night, and from the way it looked, it seemed like something was going on.”

“He was drunk and doesn’t even remember how we fell asleep.” Nik pulled slightly, starting to walk again. “This is a pointless conversation. Let’s talk about something more interesting.” Nik’s frown turned into a full grin and curiosity suddenly glowed in her eyes. “I didn’t see you with a single drink last night...is there something you haven’t announced to everyone yet?”

Hyemi’s jaw dropped. “What?” She started stammering.

“You’ve been married for four years, which is three years longer than I was expecting this to take.”

Hyemi sighed but then her eyes watered and she just looked so happy. So excited. “Fine. Oh my gosh, yes. I’m tired of being quiet about it.”

Nik yelled and cheered excitedly, and hugged her and had to try not to shake her back and forth in her excitement. “Oh my gosh yayy! How long have you known? How far along are you? Do your parents know? Does his? Does he?!”

Hyemi was laughing and both womens eyes were wet from the excitement. “Calm down. Let me see. We’ve known for about three weeks, and I am nine weeks along. Both of our parents know. And to answer your next question, no we haven’t told the guys yet. We were planning on telling them today.”

“We should head back, then. Exercise is good, but we were up late and you also need to rest….but...maybe when you find out if it’s going to be a boy or girl…”

Hyemi stopped her before she could finish the question. “I would love to go shopping with you. I don’t have any mom friends and I could honestly use any and all the advise you’re willing to give.”

The whole walk back was filled with talks of babies.  

 

Hyemi and Nik came into the house shout singing ‘Ring Ding Dong’, arm in arm, and full of good spirits. The six men they had left were all shaken out of their afternoon snooze. Once inside, both women leaned over and placed a kiss on either side of Junghyuk’s cheek.

“You told her?” He asked his wife quietly.

Hyemi shook her head and whispered back, “She figured it out. I think it’s time.”

The other five men were left staring as Nik kissed Hyemi on the forehead before taking her seat beside the couch.

“There’s room on the couch,” Pilkyo muttered. Nik shrugged and pointed toward the married couple, hugging her knees and chewing her lip with and excited expression.

Junghyuk stood up and wrapped an arm around his beautiful wife. “Guys, brothers, we want you to know how much we love you. We have been together through almost every stage of our lives. You were there for me in every setback and every blessing.” Junghyuk took a measured breath and kissed his wife’s temple before continuing. Nik glanced around the room to see a mixture of emotions ranging from anxious to understanding. “We hope, that you will be able to show as much love to our child when he or she is born next April.”

The entire room erupted in excitement and cheers. Hugs and kisses were exchanged. Everyone was happy for the couple. Dongwan went and found a bottle of champagne and everyone toasted.

 

It was started to get late and everyone aside from Dongwan had a drive home, so it was time to say goodbye. Choongjae asked to ride with Minwoo since they lived closer to each other, so that would leave Pilkyo and Nik alone for the nearly hour and a half long drive back to Eomma’s house. Nik could see the mischief in both gentlemen’s eyes as Minwoo and Choongjae climbed into Minwoo’s car and took off. ‘Bastards,’ she thought.

Nik and Hyemi hugged one last time before separating. Pilkyo opened the door to let Nik in and then walked around to get in on his side. Once buckled, Nik pulled her feet up, wrapping her arms around her legs and resting her head on her knees.

After pulling out onto the main road, Pilkyo finally spoke. “That seat lays back if you want to rest your eyes.”

“I’m good. Can’t really sleep in the car.”

“I didn’t say sleep, I said rest your eyes.” Nik turned her head to face him and stuck her tongue out. “If you want to call Aaron to get his stuff together, I’ll take you home.”

“You don’t have to do that.”

“I know I don’t, but it makes more sense than you taking the bus. Besides, I don’t mind.”

“Are you actually telling me that you’re not tired of me, yet?” Nik asked, laughing as she stretched one of her legs out but keeping her head rested on the other, still looking at him.

“Surprisingly, not yet.” They both laughed. “What do you have planned for the rest of the week? Do you have to work any?”

“No, schools are closed all week. Not sure what we’re going to do. Was thinking of trying a new cake recipe, maybe bringing it over for Eomma to try.” Nik yawned.

“You should have taken a nap.” Nik stuck her tongue out at him again. “Very mature,” he laughed.

Nik made a face and shrugged. She pulled her other leg back up, letting her eyes close for a moment, but opening them quickly when she realized how likely she was to fall asleep. “I’ll go ahead and text Aaron to make sure he’s gathered all of his stuff. How far out are we?”

“Another 45 minutes depending on traffic.” Nik pulled out her phone from her pocket. Typing out a quick message, she her bottom lip between her teeth as she thought and Pilkyo glanced over at her. “You do that a lot.” Nik hit send and tilted her head at him in confusion. “You bite your lip. You do it all the time.”

‘We had this conversation last night,’ Nik thought to herself. He definitely did not remember the previous night. “Yeah...just a weird habit I have. Does it annoy you?”

He shook his head. “No, it’s just a little distracting.” Nik scrunched her eyes and cocked one of her eyebrows up. “It’s not a bad thing. Don’t worry about it.”

They fell into a comfortable silence, the radio playing quietly in the background. Nik was fighting sleep at this point, though she would never admit that to him. “Do you think Hyemi’s going to have a boy or girl?” she asked about a half hour later.

“I think a girl. That would make him happiest.”

“Awww, you do love him,” Nik laughed, earning a small shove. Nik stuck her tongue out playfully and swatted his arm. “Rudeness.”

“Yah, you’re the rude one. Do you think I don’t love my members?”

“Of course you love your members. Doesn’t mean ‘oil and water’ doesn’t have some merit,” she teased.

“We got over that years ago. We always played it up more for the fans, though.”

“And thus RicSyung was born.” Nik was nearly dying of laughter.

“Oh, so you’re one of those fans,” he accused playfully.

“Wouldn’t you like to know?” she waggled her eyebrows at him.

“You know what? Probably not.” They both were laughing and joking about it until they pulled into Eomma’s parking garage.

They made small talk with Pilkyo’s parents for a few minutes and gave a round of hugs before Pilkyo picked up Aaron’s bag and the three made their way back down. It was obvious Aaron had had a busy day because he wasn’t talking their ears off. Instead, he curled his legs up under him and laid his head on the window. Nik directed Pilkyo quietly, and by the time they had arrived at Nik’s apartment complex, Aaron was passed out snoring softly.

“Don’t wake him,” Pilkyo said as he parked. “If you grab your bags, I’ll carry him up.”

Nik shook her head and, without thinking, braced her hand on his knee to keep him in place. “No, no, no. You need to get home and rest, and you definitely don’t need to be carrying my giant child around.”

Pilkyo grabbed her wrist to remove her hand, but held onto it. “Let him sleep.” Nik went to argue but Pilkyo held his hand up to silence her. She glared at his hand and shook the arm he was still holding, but didn’t argue. Pilkyo let out a relieved sigh, quickly got out of his car and walked around to open the door for her.

She gathered their overnight bags and popped the seat up so Pilkyo could grab her son. As they reached the elevator, she pulled her phone out and sneakily took a photo of the sweetest image she had ever seen. Pilkyo was carrying her 152cm tall son like he was a baby. Aaron had his arms lightly wrapped around the older man’s neck and she just stood and watched for a moment before realizing she wasn’t actually in the elevator and it was about to leave her.

The ride up was quiet. Nik led the way to her apartment, and she quickly typed in the key. She felt slightly embarrassed at her tiny apartment. It was a one-room that the school she worked for had set her and Aaron up in. She quickly walked over and unrolled Aaron’s bedroll so that Pilkyo could set him down.

They stood awkwardly for a few minutes. “Would you like something to drink before you go?” Nik asked, not waiting for his response and walking over to the fridge to grab two bottles water.

“Thank you.”

“Do you want a snack or anything? I could whip something up pretty quick. Though I’m sure you’re ready to get home and relax…” Nik was feeling exposed and anxious. While she’s always been one to entertain at home, she hadn’t done so since moving to Seoul due to not having any real friends and her place being so small.

Pilkyo laughed. “Not tonight. You should get some rest. Next time, though.” He made his way back to the door and slipped his shoes back on. Nik leaned against the doorway after he stepped through. They were standing close, and she wasn’t ready for him to leave, but she couldn’t ask him to stay. That would look bad. “You have Kakao, right?” Nik nodded. He pulled out his phone and handed it to her. “Type it in.” Nik could feel her face lighting up and tried to reign it in before she looked like an idiot. She quickly typed in her ID and saved it. When he took it back, he sent a quick message and the phone in Nik’s pocket made a sound. “Now you have mine.”

They stood awkwardly for another minute. “Drive safe, and thank you for everything.”

“You’re welcome. I’ll message you later?” Nik beamed and nodded. “Goodnight,” he said awkwardly and turned to head to the elevator. Nik stood in the doorway until the elevator doors shut.She went to brush her teeth and wash her face.

 

~katok~

LittlePrince

10:38 PM Made it home

 

Nik flung herself onto her bedroll, excited that he messaged her so quickly.

 

PandaNik

10:39 PM Glad you didn’t fall asleep at the wheel *(^o^)*

 

LittlePrince

10:40 PM No, but I am about to go to bed (-.-)Zzz

 

Nik pouted and was about to say goodnight when her phone chirped again.

 

LittlePrince

10:40 PM Do you have plans this weekend?

10:40 PM Since you said Aaron was going out with Appa and Jingyo

10:40 PM I thought maybe you could use some company

10:40 PM Unless you were going over to spend time with Eomma

 

Nik laughed as message after message quickly came in.

 

PandaNik

10:41 PM I’m running to the market for Eomma that morning, but after that I’m free ^^

 

A full minute passed and Nik started to feel anxious.

 

LittlePrince

10:43 PM Don’t make plans. I’m going to sleep now. Good night~

 

PandaNik

10:43 PM (•¯ ∀ ¯•) Good night~