Where I am gone

Mixtape #01
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Now Playing
Track 01 | Where I am gone by Yang Yoseob

The Lovers’ Peak
Namjoo & Hayoung

Good morning, Hayoung-ah.

It’s another morning I witnessed you waking up.

The early bird between us was you, but it’s been about a month since I took up the job.

I noticed you have this habit of scrunching your nose just before opening your eyes.

Cute.

Without a word, you got up and went straight ahead to brew us some coffee, placing my mug on my spot after stirring it with a few teaspoons of sugar and cream.

I sat across you and watched you take a sip. I didn’t give mine a taste, but I could tell that you made it like how I always wanted it.

You placed your cup on the sink after finishing your drink and left mine on the table.

Ahh… your dresser’s such a mess.

Weeks worth of laundry already piled up on the floor.

Were you sniffing through you clothes?

I couldn’t help but giggle.

A little smile formed on your lips when your favorite pink polo was clean enough for work. I remember giving that on our first anniversary. It was chilly so you wore the grey long coat I gave you on your 24th birthday. Your workmates better cover their ears when you brag about them later.

Or maybe not.

While you were wearing your shoes by the door, I was waiting for you outside. The sky was quite hazed with clouds that covered all the blue in the sky. It would be nice if we could just sleep in for today to be honest.

You checked your pocket and realized you forgot your phone so you scrambled back into our room.

I would have bombarded you with my nagging until your ears fell off, but nevermind.

No use for that now.

You’re running late already.

We always went together to the train station for the past five years. Our offices were nearby so we always rode the same train every morning and night.

And I liked how convenient it was for us to dine out together after long hours of work.

It could be a good day, a bad day, or just a normal day.

But by the end of it, I was with you.

I loved it.

The train was taking a while which gave me a lot of time to observe some random things, but there wasn't anything interesting that caught my attention.

It was the same group of people with us on the line. I didn’t know their names but I knew their faces because we saw them often waiting for the same train at this very hour of the day.

The old woman who always gave us apples every morning approached you and started a conversation. She handed out two apples before looking around.

Her eyes landed on me. I looked around but there was no one else in my direction. So I just smiled and waved.

“My eyes are really bad these days, Hayoung,” the old woman said to you while she fixed her glasses in place.

“Grandma, let’s go! The train is coming!” Her grandson held her arm and guided her to the train.

“Take care, Grandma.” You waved goodbye and took a bite on one of the apples.

When the train arrived, you your heel and hurried to a different train platform. While running, you grabbed your phone from your pocket and dialed a number.

“I can't make it today! Sorry!” You pressed the end call button afterwards.

What the- where are you going?!

I almost lost you across the sea of people.

Aish.

We made it inside the train just before its doors closed.

Sigh.

I didn’t complain since I was with you, even though your impulsive self ditched work the last minute. I’d usually get mad at you whenever you did something like this before.

But not today.

We slowly paced inside the train until you found a seat. I wandered a bit more so I could read the railway map.

Wait a second. Are we-

When I turned around, you were already fast asleep. Your head kept on bobbing in an uncomfortable manner.

You had a hard time falling asleep last night so I wouldn’t blame you.

I rested my head on your shoulder and closed my eyes for the time being.

You woke up just in time for the last stop.

“Already?” You yawned obnoxiously, little tears formed in your eyes. “Six hours went that fast? That felt so short.”

There was a convenience store nearby where you got some supplies.

You bought an ice cream because you kept on insisting it’s going to keep you warm when you eat one. You always told me that.

After all this time, I still couldn’t understand your weird ways.

Winter is fast approaching.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter