dance it out

a little bit of loving

It was one of the hottest summer nights in Seoul with the highest temperature hitting a record of 36.2°C. The only sounds that could be heard in the apartment were the gentle whirring of the fan, the clacking of Hyejin’s nails against her phone screen and the occasional murmur from Wheein. The heat was getting to Wheein despite her efforts to cool down by lying on the floor. Although Hyejin seemed unaffected by the heat.

“Hey, Hyejinie~~~.” She grunted in response still looking at her,” Mmmm?” It’s amazing how the two best friends can communicate through grunts and nonsensical sounds.

“Let’s go out tonight.” Wheein is usually more of a homebody but, recently the only reason she’s been home at all is her cat, Ggomo. Cats got to eat, but he much rather play most of the time.

“Oh? You’re finally getting over Min-sik oppa?” Her boyfriend, well, ex-boyfriend. They had met when he asked her to feature on one of his songs and star in the music video. After 1 month of flirting and almost 6 months of dating, Min-sik decided to break it off claiming he didn’t want anything serious. At least he had the decency to do it before their anniversary date.

“Yes, I’m getting over him. In fact, I was never under him, to begin with!”, she yelled, exasperated. Looking at her friend’s quirked eyebrow made her rethink her last statement, ”Wait. That didn’t come out right.”

“Anyways...Hyejin-ah let's go out tonight. I’m tired of doing nothing and besides, it’s only 9 pm.”

She got nothing in response only more sounds produced by Hyejin’s nails. “Please”, she whined, this time with her puppy dog eyes and dimple forming.

“Alright. But, I get to choose when to cut you off for drinks. Ok?” This would mark the fifth night in a row they have gone out and every time Wheein has gotten blackout drunk with Hyejin trying to drag her limp body home. Needless to say, Hyejin was tired, she needed at least some rest before going out again.

“Fine”, she pouted, it was a small sacrifice in order to party with her best friend.

She doesn’t exactly want to be alone right now.

Excited and ready for the night to begin, Wheein ran to Hyejin’s closet looking for appropriate clubbing clothes. Amused by her friend’s antics, she followed. “Do you have anything not so scandalous?,” said Wheein as she pulls out a very tiny one piece or maybe it was a bathing suit. The closet seemed to be full of clothes she would be self-conscious in and clothes you only wear lounging at home.

“Scandalous is y,” said Hyejin as she walks into her own closet. Rummaging around she pulls out a white crop top and some pants that suit Wheein’s style, she asked, ”What about these?” Her eyes light up with a twinkle,” Definitely yes.” They continuing looking around to complete both of their outfits and looks for the night.

A couple of hours later, Wheein who is fully dressed with a face full of makeup, impatiently yells out,” Yah! Hyejin-ah! Are you ready yet?” She isn’t the type of person to just stand and wait around doing nothing. Technically she was sitting in the bed but, that’s beside the point.

“Hey this”, Hyejin said gesturing to her whole body,” takes time to perfect.” Giving up on hurrying her friend, Wheein takes out her phone and opens Twitter. She had begged her company to allow her to make an account and finally after two years she had gotten the ok. Scrolling through her feed, which was pretty dead except for the occasional fan account she followed, she liked some tweets here and there. For some reason, celebrities don’t tweet that much — especially Hyejin. Bored, she breaks the number one rule and searches her own name.

@whee_pup_luv: Jung Wheein. thats it. thats the tweet.

@wheesus: once u wheein u can’t wheeout

@egghead: tbh idk why y’all like wheein so much she can’t even sing ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

@qweein: IF ANY SINGLE ONE OF YOU ERS DISRESPECT WHEEIN ILL FIGHT YOU TO THE DEATH BET ᕦ(ò_óˇ)ᕤ

@comanie: @decal is gay for wheeinie

@hdgxkjn: wheein = no vocal no dance skills no visual NO TALENT saying the truth isn’t being an anti sorry not sorry 

@atmoswhee7: @jung_wheein unnie~~ when’s your next comeback ;_;

She tries to ignore some posts and replies to the last one with a winky face although the company has been urging her to have her comeback soon she hasn’t been able to write any songs. Inspiration is hard to come by. And while she had recorded a couple of songs the company suggested she likes having at least one song completely by her on the album.

“Alright I’m ready,” said Hyejin as she walks up behind her, curious as to what she’s staring at on her phone. She peers over her shoulder and sees the tweets. The best and worst part about being a public figure is that there are so many people supporting you and at the same time so many people are against you. And sometimes people can be really cruel.

“Look at me, Jung Wheein. You are amazing, beautiful, and genuinely talented. Don’t listen to some Twitter troll.”

Looking into Hyejin’s eyes she can see her sincerity but, this isn’t the first time they’ve gone through this.

”I know. I know... it’s just like...ugh even I wonder what I’m doing is worth it.”

Hyejin surveying her best friend who is now timidly looking down at the floor tries to think about the right words to say. This is the side of Wheein that makes her worry the most. Somehow one of the most talented girls she has ever met isn’t aware of her own worth. She brings her into a hug because she doesn’t know how to comfort her with just words.

“Remember what your therapist told you?”

Wheein snuggles into Hyejin’s warmth. Ever since they were kids Hyejin has always been the warmest of the duo. “Yeah, positive thinking promotes positive behavior—“

“Which?”

Rolling her eyes with a soft laugh escaping she answers,” Which promotes happiness.”

Smiling up at her friend,” Thanks Hyejin-ah I feel a lot better.” This is why they’ve developed such a strong friendship. Hyejin doesn’t mind when she isn’t hyper or fun all the time but she also doesn’t just let her mope around.

With a slight smirk Hyejin asks,” So, Ms. Wheein are we going clubbing?”

“LEGGO!”

******************
As the two young girls walk into the opening night of a new club, Saturation, the thudding of the rap song that was playing could be felt in their bones. Apparently, the club had hired a very popular artist who doubled as a rapper and DJ for their first night in order to attract more people. Their marketing worked as evident by the dance floor being packed with sweaty bodies dancing along to the beat. Light strobes filled with teal and magenta shined upon the crowd. Pulling her gaze away from the dance floor Wheein and Hyejin made their way to the bar and ordered two glasses of beer.

“No shots this time?” asked Hyejin.

“Nope. Let’s go dance!” Said Wheein as she holds onto Hyejin’s hand, dragging her towards the mod of people. She knows how much her friend has been worrying about her, specifically her drinking habits. Also tonight she wants to stay a little sober. As much as she likes drinking, being drunk all the time and the hangovers that come with it isn’t fun nor healthy.

The bass thumps in Wheein’s chest as she dances along to the rapper’s low voice over the dynamic piano playing an addicting melody. She laughs as Hyejin starts grinding up against her and grabbing her hips. Jumpin around and dancing with her friend is so liberating. She can forget everything: her worries, her heartbreak, and her anxiety. Right now? She’s enjoying being young and having fun.

The song comes to an end and the crowd shouts for more. With a simple finger to her lips, the rapper is able to command silence in the room. Wheein stands captivated by the rapper and a little out of breath from the dancing. She hasn’t even glanced at her until now; only listened to her voice.

She softly spoke into the microphone, “Alright, everybody I have a new song for all of you. But, I’ll need some help. Everyone ok with that?”

Everyone screams in response excited for the new song including Hyejin but not Wheein. She looks curiously at her friend wondering as to why she isn’t responding to the rapper along with the crowd.

With a soft chuckle the rapper continues,” This song is called Moon Movie. Now every time I say ‘movie’ you guys say shoot!”

“Movie,” She sings the word movie before pointing her microphone at the crowd. Then she repeats it twice.

“SHOOT!”

“Movie.”

“SHOOT!”

Wheein can’t help but be intrigued by the rapper’s confident tone and her movements as she starts hitting notes on the keyboard to set herself up for the beginning of the song. The rapper starts dancing around on the raised platform of the DJ booth as the beat begins to pick up and she brings the microphone cradled in her hand to her lips.

“Hear this sound? Thump thump, a heartbeat
Rise, working on the top
The answer to the formula is easy
Ride a plane and fly away in a working mood (Yah Yah)
There's no easy way to make money
You earn as much as you move
Holding back on tasty things, I work even more
You can call me greedy, I won’t feel bad
My Mom and Dad at the jeweler's wearing sunglasses
What’s really me? I’m not really sure
Just that I’m in the pursuit of happiness”


The crowd starts dancing around Wheein as she stares at the rapper, listening intently to her voice and absorbing the lyrics. Reminiscing back to this moment she laughs, imagining her petite frame being pushed and rocked around by intoxicated strangers with a confused Hyejin by her side. But, at this moment everything changed.

“The reason I laugh is to shrug off negativity
Because those thoughts bite my tail and ruin me
Today too, I pick a good pillow for me (yeah)
Feels like I’m making my own movie
A new scene comes to mind
My life is what I make”


Inspiration is hard to come by. Wheein knows this. So, whatever this simmering feeling is forming in the pit of her stomach she needs to seize it fast before it slips out of sight. Before she falls off the brink of something so absurdly amazing.

“Why do I have to live up to your expectations?
Don’t think of courtesy as a right
I want to laugh like myself with my people
Too busy working. I can stay up for a few nights, I’m fine
My family’s happiness comes before mine until now
I’m okay with relaxing after
Because that's the happiness I seek
Feelings that come quickly
Even if you treat me coldly, I’m okay
There’s no filing my loneliness
The emptiness is a process of me becoming an adult”


Her body feeling like it's boiling — the water almost b over the pot. She turns to face Hyejin who has been staring at her with a concerning gaze for the past two minutes.

“Wheein-ah, are yo—”

“We need to leave,” yelled out Wheein, quickly.

Hyejin, obviously worried, looks her over as if to check for any injuries she had somehow missed while dancing together. She ends up looking at Wheein’s face, eyes frantically darting around the club looking for the shortest exit route, and grows more worried.

“Are you sure you’re ok? Do you not want to stay for the second half of the song?

“We are leaving now!” Wheein grabs her arm and starts her way towards the exit despite Hyejin’s protests and probing questions.

Finally out of the club, a slightly breathless Hyejin stares at Wheein boisterously trying to get a taxi off to the side. Catching her breath she asks,” What was that?! Why did you drag us out of there.”

A taxi pulls up in front of them and Wheein opens the door gesturing for her to get in quickly with her arms. Hyejin unamused with her behavior stands defiantly, expecting some answers now.

Wheein groans at wasting time, but happily answers her anyways, ”I want to write a song Hyejin-ah! Isn’t that amazing I, me, JUNG WHEEIN, wants to write a song right now!” She laughs a laugh that makes the taxi driver briefly consider driving off in fear.

Hyejin gets in the car and Wheein excitedly yells her address to the driver as they pull onto the street, driving into the night.