chat: sooyoung2345

Authors' Fun Time
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Now we have another outstanding author requested by a reader..so please welcome sooyoung2345

 

1.What is your AFF username?

sooyoung2345!

2. How many stories have you published in AFF so far?

6 fics, though one (Rewrite The Stars) is currently drafted—but I’ll hopefully be getting to that soon.

3.Do you write for a particular fandom?

EXO! I haven’t actually thought much about writing for other fandoms.

4. Generally what is your source of inspiration or motivation to write?

I get plot ideas from either something I see in real life, a movie/video I watched, or maybe a song. As for writing, I can’t write while listening to music (unless it’s just one song on loop). Writing on the bus or train helps a lot—I seem to do that a lot these days. Writing really depends on my mood. Somedays I manage to write 2k words at one go and on some other days I can’t even bring myself to type a single word, which is quite frustrating. 

5. Many authors suffer from writer block sometime.How should they deal with it?

Just give it some time? For me, if I’m really not in the mood to write/can’t think of how to continue one part, I usually write the next part first and see how I can connect the two, or I just leave it for a few days until something hits me and I finally figure out how to get on with writing. I think it’s best to give yourselves some time to think about it first, instead of force the words out (though some people manage to do it pretty well, so I think it all really depends on you).

6. If you place yourself as a reader , which element in a story catches the attention of a reader?

Plot!!! Usually if the description sounds like my style, I’ll check it out. As for plot, I really like fantasy (more over romance) so if there’s either mythical stuff or modern fantasy elements then I’ll check it out. But that doesn’t mean I don’t love romance either, so if I see a romance fic that’s either new and never-done-before, or a cliche that’s done well, I’ll read it too.

But for real life books—plot definitely helps me decide if I should read a book or not, but I’ll always notice the book covers first when I’m at the library, so book covers would be the first thing of a book to pique my interest. 

7. How would you deal with negative comments on your story. Do you think criticizing comment influences on a writer's mind in a better way?

Ultimately, everyone has their own opinion and I can’t force mine onto them. For example, a reader could think that a character is stupid for putting herself in danger and potentially getting killed, but I would think that she was just doing what she had to because she can’t just sit around and wait for her own death, so of course she would’ve done what she did. When this happens, I’ll try to tell them how I feel about a character’s actions and why it differs from their opinion of the same character, and hopefully they’ll understand why I made her do things this way. 

It depends on what kind of criticism! If it’s genuinely constructive criticism regarding how I can improve the plot/characters/dialogue then it’ll definitely help a writer in one way or another. If it’s just a fussy reader who’s picking on a character just because she did something the reader doesn’t like, then I’ll try not to take it to heart. I’ll ask them why they don’t like it though—maybe there’s an important reason that might help me in later chapters. 

8. Which genre you like to read and write?

Fantasy for both! All my fics have fantasy/supernatural elements in them, and that’s from my love for reading fantasy-themed books. It feels cool to be able to develop something whole new—like a fantasy world that’s entirely my own and not based on something else that’s already present. 

(That’s also why I lovelovelove The Mortal Instruments/every shadowhunter book of Cassandra Clare because the world-building is just insane. There’s always something new to discover and that’s what I love so much about it.)

I’d like to see more modern fantasy stuff tho

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter