Chapter eight : The shelter underground

What the war did

Jungkook

 

I sat down next to Namjoon and sighed.

 

"Come on men, Namjoon said, it’s been a week, can you please stop looking miserable ?

  • I’m sorry I’m just...

  • We’re all upset they left, Hoseok said, but let’s face it, we’ve changed. You changed. They changed. And now you get to think of it, how would this work out anyway ? You can’t date, you don’t share the same experiences, you don’t have anything in common.

  • You got rejected, Jin said, not the end of the world. By the way, there is a new girl at the appartement after the lab, she is a scientist, she’s like five years older than you but I can try to set you up. It’s not like there is a lot of available men around her age.

  • Mmh, can you not see me right here ? Yoongi asked.

  • Oh, I’m sorry, are you heartbroken and miserable ?

  • I’m a bit miserable. Yoongi whispered angrily.

  • Jungkook ?

  • I’m fine.

  • Ok, Yoongi you get to come along."

 

They got up and left and I suddenly looked at Namjoon.

 

"How come you never hook up with anyone ?

  • I hooked up with Haneul.

  • Everyone hooks up with her, I mean, like other than flirting and a bit of kissing, you never do anything. Why ?

  • I don’t waste energy on girls I don’t really care about.

  • How can you still be in control after all this time ?

  • I don’t know, it’s just that I don’t want to miss something with a nice girl because I’m too busy looking at a ’s clivage.

  • Hey, Hoseok protested, Haneul isn’t a .

  • Whatever man. She slept with all of you.

  • No, I said.

  • Not yet anyway, Namjoon sighed, because Yuri’s trying.

  • Well..

  • He’s got a point, Hoseok laughed, she’s all over you. Even more since Eunae and Eunmi came here, think she was a little jealous.

  • Who’s jealous ? A feminine voice asked. Hi guys, you’re here. Wanna come over and watch a movie ? Yuri smiled, I’ll save you a good seat Jungkook.

  • I think I’ll pass, Namjoon said, no offense but we don’t have the same definition of watching a movie."

 

He got up and left and Yuri giggled.

 

 

"Well someone’s in a mood today. Is he upset because the girls left too? Come on guys, who cares ?

  • I care, I said, Namjoon cares, Tae cares, Jimin cares. They were our friends.

  • Were, used to, not anymore, Suhee said coming in too, this is getting boring. Where’s Jimin ?

  • Oh he is with Mrs Han.

  • Why ?

  • I don’t know, why don’t you ask him when he comes back, I sighed,do you have to come here all the time ?

  • Hey chill dude, Hoseok said, ladies..."

 

They all left and I sighed.

 

Jimin

 

"Are you sure you want to do this ? We already told you that you owe us nothing.

  • I think I need to be doing something, please, let me help in any way I can.

  • Well... We’ve been doing some... tests, but most people are scared so.

  • Tell me, I can do anything.

  • You heard about the soldiers we took in ?

  • Yes.

  • Well, Mrs Han gently pad my back, we’ve been trying to get them to interact with people, you know, bond with them, to see if their trauma can be overcome. It would make things easier if they could talk to us about what happened.

  • I see. So... You want me to bond with them ?

  • Just one of them, you could talk to him about anything, and maybe he’ll talk about things too, you’ll be recored all the time. Is that alright ?

  • Of course. When can I start ?

  • Well, if that’s ok I’d like you to meet him today, so you can tell me if you’re up for it.

  • Ok. Let’s go."

 

I followed her into the lab for the first time, it was just an other hallway, but this time every door had a different name "chemistry" "physics" "blood testing" "emergency room" and finally "room 20".

 

"Now, before we go in, sometimes they behave themselves violently. They don’t usually give any warning so be careful, he is very strong and very fast, he has a colar on his neck so that in case he attacks you we can control him, but he might still be faster ok ? So if he shows any signs, of he tries anything, just step back and make sure he doesn’t get to you.

  • Ok.

  • Am I clear ?

  • Yes, absolutely.

  • This is Doctor Lee, she will introduce you, she works with him more than me.

  • Nice to meet you Jimin.

  • Nice to meet you too doctor, I said bending a bit, so, how long do I have to stay with him ?

  • As long as we think is necessary, we’ll get you when we’re done for the day. Today will be rather short, he’s been exercising and is pretty tired. Any questions ?

  • Oh, what’s his name ?

  • Han Kihong.

  • Ok."

 

She made a code to enter the room and I followed her. The room was an actual room, it had a bed, a desk, a place to exercize, books, whardrope.

 

"Hi Kihong, this is Jimin.

  • Hi, I said bending a bit, nice to meet you.

  • Hello, the soldier said, doctor, when will I be ready to fight again ?

  • Not yet Kihong, you need to rest.

  • But I feel alright.

  • You may feel alright, but the tests aren’t good.

  • Ok...

  • Now, please, talk with Jimin, I’m sure you lack of men’s company lately. I’ll leave you two together."

 

She left and I smiled, trying to forget I was with a very strong men, alone in a room, and that he had mood swings that could get me killed.

 

"So, what’s your deal ? He asked, why are you here ? Study me ?

  • what ? No, I’m not a doctor.

  • Sure ? You look like one.

  • Is that a compliment ?

  • I’m not sure, but skinny little mens are usually doctors."

 

I tried not to feel offended and I laughed.

 

"I don’t look like a soldier for sure.

  • Do you like Doctor Lee ?

  • Well, I don’t know her very well.

  • I like her. She’s always nice to me.

  • That’s good, right ?

  • I said she was nice, not that she was good.

  • It’s hard to tell good from evil, in one meeting at least.

  • I can tell them appart easily.

  • Oh. What am I then ?

  • Good, for now.

  • Glad to hear that, I giggled, and you ? You’re good ?

  • Yes. I was always good. I protect my land. I protect everyone.

  • So you went to war ?

  • Yes.

  • And you came back ?

  • I was injured.

  • How ?

  • Bullets. You ?

  • Me ?

  • Weren’t you injured ? You’re not a doctor, but you’re in a hospital.

  • A hospital ? Well... Yeah, I guess I’m still... recovering.

  • From what ?

  • Heart... Thing ? I bite my lip, it still hurts a bit.

  • Heart, that’s tough. He sighed, your family visit you ?

  • Hum... No. You ?

  • No. I don’t reunite with my family until my duty is done.

  • Is that what they told you ?

  • They ? Who they ?

  • The doctors..

  • What doctors ?! He got up, are you a spy ? You want information ? You’re gonna have to kill me !

  • No... I meant Doctor Lee, Mrs Han...

  • Oh, he sat back suddenly calm, sometimes I forget.

  • You forget what ?

  • Things. Where I am. Who I am... I just know... I need to go back. Or else something terrible will happen. Do you have people you want to protect ?

  • I... Guess so...yeah, I do, I looked away, I really do.

  • You don’t want anything terrible happening to them right ?

  • No..

  • Then why don’t you go and fight ? We need to fight ! I want to fight ! Kill all the bad people !"

 

The door opened and Dr Lee appeared.

 

"Jimin,the session is over now, come.

  • Good bye sir...

  • Kill them all !

  • Jimin now !"

 

I got out and she closed the door behind us.

 

"He was getting upset, she said, it happens when he speaks about the field.

  • I noticed.

  • You did good. But, next time, try to have a conversation about his life, you know, not his soldier life, but what he did before, how big his family is, things like that, things that will remind him he is human.

  • Oh... Ok."

 

I left after a quick talk with Doctor Lee and Mrs Han and agreed to come back on the next day.

I came home to find it half empty, but for Suhee who was waiting for me on the couch.

 

"Hey sailor.

  • Huh ?

  • Your stripped shirt.

  • Right, I smiled, what are you doing here alone ?

  • Oh, well, Haneul is.. busy, and Yuri’s chasing Jungkook around so. Figured I might wait for you here, where were you ?

  • Just... Doing stuff, how was your day ?

  • Good, good, but I’ve missed you, it’s been a while since you know, we could use this alone time together."

 

I smiled but rather didn’t answered, trying to focus on the book that was on the table.

 

"Is this Namjoon’s ? Do you think he finished it ?

  • Guess so why ? She got closer.

  • Maybe I’ll borrow it, tonight.

  • Oh you won’t have the energy to read tonight..."

 

I could feel her hand on my tigh and despite my body telling me how nice it would be to hold her body...

 

"No, stop, I sighed and pushed her away taking the book, this is a bad idea, I smiled trying to be nice, I don’t think we should... do what we used to do, again, ever.

  • What ? Why ?

  • I’m just not into it anymore.

  • You don’t like anymore ?

  • I don’t want to have with you anymore. Ouch, sounded better in my head.

  • You... are you serious right now ?

  • I’m sorry. It’s for the best ok ?

  • But... I thought we had something.

  • I’m sorry, it was just about the .

  • You .."

 

She took the book from my hands and hit me with it.

 

"How dare you ?!

  • I’m so sorry. I just need space right now.

  • I can’t believe it... What’s wrong with me ?

  • No... Nothing’s wrong with you, I put my hand around her shoulder, you’re great it’s just.. I’d rather be alone right now. You around is just confusing for me.

  • So... You like me ?

  • I do, I like you but... I need time.

  • Time, space, Ok... Got you..."

 

She sighed and got up, I could see she was a bit shaken.

 

"I’m sorry.

  • It’s ok. I live accross the hall so.... You know, any time you change your mind.. I’ll be right here !"