Tidal

Waves
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Ah, sorry but I’m clos—” Hyukjae stops short when he sees the latest person that’s walked through his doors.

“It’s been a while.” Giving Hyukjae a crooked smile.

“I’m actually closed.” He politely but firmly states, pointing towards the hours posted on the door.

“Why so cold? You don’t remember your first and only boyfriend?” Donghae smirks when he sees Hyukjae’s glare.

“I’m closed. Get out.”

Walking closer to the counter Hyukjae is standing behind, he remarks, “Don’t worry, I’m not here to talk about the past. I want you to tattoo me.”

Gaping at the other man, Hyukjae is stunned. “Are you crazy? You know your parents won’t approve. Especially since they’re only for the lower-class.” Hyukjae all but spits out the last two words.

Continuing as if he hasn’t heard Hyukjae, “I am willing to spend, you just need to name your price.”

“It’s unacceptable! I can’t do that!” Vehemently shaking his head, Hyukjae can’t believe what Donghae is asking of him.

“I see. I have no other choice then, if you refuse then I’ll have to look for someone else that will.” He turns to make his way to the door, “Sorry for the bother, good bye.”

Someone… else?

Hyukjae’s eyes widen as he takes in the thought of someone else tattooing Donghae.

“Wait! I’ll do it! Please let me tattoo you!”

Donghae lightly smiles at Hyukjae, “Excellent. We have a deal then, I’ll leave the design up to you. I hope to have it finished within the month.”

Shaking his head in amusement, Hyukjae motions him, “Let’s go.”

Blinking in surprise Donghae is visibly confused. “Go where? Dinner?”

“No, you fool, go sit down. We’re starting this today.” Taking a glance at Donghae’s shocked face he continues, “You’re probably busy right? Working late, there’s no way you can comfortably come when I’m actually open.”

“You rushed here didn’t you? I can see you’re all sweaty. You probably tried to finish up so you wouldn’t catch me before close. Sit, cool down and let’s talk so I can get ideas for the design.”

Walking over and dropping down on the plush sofa, he motions for Donghae to do the same.

“So what where have you been? What have you been doing for the last seven years?”

“Eight.” Donghae automatically replies.

Giving Donghae a long side look, Hyukjae corrects himself. “What have you been doing for the last eight years?”

“I went to Osaka, studied Business, did my Masters. Worked in Tokyo for the last two. I only came back to Korea a month ago.” Looking sheepish, “I still haven’t unpacked. But what about you?”

“I went to KAIST for Engineering on a full-ride scholarship.” Hyukjae simply responds.

Donghae looks proud and fondly says, “You were always so smart. Did you finish the four years and graduate?”

◆◇◆◇◆

Ten years earlier…

Hyukjae had never seen the sea before.

Looking out into the distance, he walks right into someone, catching the other boy before he falls.

“I’m so sorry!” Hyukjae recoils in horror, knowing full well he was at fault.

“What were you thinking about?”

“Huh?” He’s more surprised that this boy doesn’t want compensation, something he surely couldn’t afford. “Oh, I was thinking about the sea.” Stammering as he answers the question.

“I’ve been watching you, you know. You always seemed to be daydreaming, looking outside during class. So you’ve finally noticed me?”

◆◇◆◇◆

Eight years earlier…

“If I tell you that I’m with you in soul even when we’re apart, do you believe me?”

He was the kind of person that only appeared in dreams. Hyukjae felt as though he were in one…

…when he wasn’t supposed to be dreaming.

“Good grief. Absolutely despicable

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter