Breakable

By My Side: Bonus Material

- October 20, 2005 -

High, high above Professor Flitwick’s podium, a piece of chalk was scratching notes on the blackboard for whatever topic the lesson would be about today. Flitwick was nowhere to be seen, as usual. He was probably still in his office putting together some sort of visual demonstration of the new spell they would be learning today.

Minho rubbed his eyes, squinting as he tried to decipher Flitwick’s cursive, and followed Kibum to their seats. “Breakable?”

“What?” Kibum, who had been getting their books out of Minho’s backpack, looked up at the blackboard when Minho nodded to it. “Unbreakable...oh.” He frowned at the blackboard before he went back to getting their things out of the backpack. “I wonder if he’s gonna talk about the Unbreakable Vow.”

“What’s that?”

“Well, I’m not really sure. I heard Mom talk about it, like, once. I think one of her friends had done one.”

“Huh...”

Kibum shrugged and swirled the ink in its bottle before he set it on the desk between them. “Yeah, I don’t know. It seemed pretty serious, so I’m surprised we’re learning about it so early.”

“More of a seventh year thing?”

“Probably.”

Kibum dipped his quill in the ink, scraping the excess off on the lid, and he started to doodle in the upper right-hand corner. It didn’t look like much at first -- just a few squiggles and some circles -- but soon Minho was able to sort of see what Kibum might have been trying to draw.

“Are those...jellyfish?”

Sighing, Kibum dropped the quill on the parchment, ink splotching across the painting. “No, they’re the Grindylows I saw this morning in the Lacuspectio.”

“Ohhh...” Minho tilted his head to the side. “Hey, not bad!”

Kibum started to answer, but go cut off when Flitwick trotted inside, carrying a steaming, china teapot. Instead, he tried not to look too pleased with himself. Any hint of a smile fell when Flitwick dropped the teapot on the ground. Scattered gasps sounded around the classroom, followed by confused what’s when the teapot didn’t shatter but rather bounced across the ground to the base of Flitwick’s podium.

“Today we’re learning about the Unbreakable Charm!” Flitwick said, his voice as cheery as always. Minho and Kibum shared a glance before Kibum took up the quill again and Minho started flipping through The Standard Book of Spells to find the right page.