Tug-of-War

Sunbae (hiatus)

"So when did you end up going to bed last night?" Woohyun inquired. The newly formed group of four were gathered for breakfast. 

"Good question... it must have been sometime after 3 am..." Sungyeol yawned. 

"Goodness, how did you manage to get up at 8?" Sungjong looked shocked. 

"I almost didn't," Sungyeol chuckled. 

After arriving at the hanok with Myungsoo sunbae last night, he had gone straight to bed, exhausted. Large social gatherings were not his thing. 

"So what's on the schedule today?" Sunggyu implored, looking bored as he nibbled on some grains of rice. 

"I heard there's going to be a competition between the first years and the second years today!" Sungjong replied excitedly. 

"Competition? What kind?" Sungyeol asked. 

"Probably rope pulling or something," Sungjong pondered. 

 

Sungjong could not have been more right. An hour later a large rope had been brought out and was lying on the grass. The energetic sunbae from yesterday, Dongwoo, was again standing on a rock and looking out at the students gathered in front of him. 

"I hope you have all had a good night's sleep! Because today you will need some strength! We sunbaes have decided to test you hoobaes to see if you are strong enough to endure the upcoming years of university life. And the way to test your strength is through the classic game of tug of war!" Dongwoo shouted in excitement. "Now, of course we can't have you all line up, because we don't have a long enough rope for a hundred people, so we will let you hoobaes decide between yourselves who you would like as your representatives. You will need ten people! The only restriction is that you have to make sure there are five girls and five boys, to make it equal. We will give you half an hour to choose your team!" 

And with that, Dongwoo stepped down from the rock he was standing on. 

"Daebak, this is exciting," Woohyun grinned. "I love competitions."

"I wonder who the sunbaes will pick for their team," Sungjong mused. 

"I bet they will include the perfect sunbae," Woohyun nodded confidently. "He looks like he's strong." 

Sunggyu rolled his eyes. 

"Excuse me.." A girl with pigtales said quietly to the group, having suddenly walked up to them. 

"Yes?" Woohyun smiled politely. 

"Would you mind joining the tug-of-war?" the girl asked, looking directly at Sungyeol. 

"Me?" Sungyeol stared at the girl in surprise. "Why?"

"You're really tall and you look stronger than most of the other guys here," the girl explained. "And we need another boy on the team. Nobody is volunteering." 

"I don't really like games..." Sungyeol started, but Woohyun cut him before he could finish the sentence. 

"He's in."

"Great!" The girl beamed. "Please come join us in five!" And with that she walked away. 

"Why did you agree to that?" Sungyeol demanded, staring resentfully at Woohyun. 

"Oh come on, this is your chance at fame!" Woohyun winked. 

"I don't need fame! I don't want it." Sungyeol said in exasperation. 

"Oops, my bad" Woohyun said, but he obviously didn't look sorry for what he had done. 

Sungyeol sighed, but knew there was nothing he could do about it now. 

 

-- -- --

 

"And finally we have them gathered!" Dongwoo shouted. A small group of people were standing on either side of him, with the rest of the students gathered in a large circle around him. 

"On my right side we have team hoobae and on my left we have team sunbae."

Sungyeol had of course expected to see Myungsoo sunbae sometime during the day, but he sure hadn't expected that the first thing he would do when seeing him was facing the sunbae in a game of tug-of-war. But sure enough, Myungsoo was standing with the sunbae team, looking like the leader that he was. 

And as Sungyeol glanced at him, Myungsoo turned his head in the younger's direction. Their eyes met for a second, and a small smile flashed across the black-haired boy's face. Yet it was gone before Sungyeol could be sure the older had smiled at all. 

 

 

Author's note: holy moly, I can't believe it's been a year and I haven't written anything at all! I feel sooo ashamed T.T Please forgive me my lovely subscribers and readers, I went abroad last semester on exchange and totally forgot about writing... Well, I didn't quite forget, but I definitively put it very much on hold. But this time I will finish this story for sure because it has been bothering me for a long time that I just left it unfinished. So here goes. I will really try this time to update frequently. And I'm so sorry it took so long T.T Please forgive me T.T