Chapter 3

Even the strongest can be hurt

The crown prince paces nervously in front of the infirmary where his best friend Rin is being tended to by the head eunuch. It is only a matter of time until Rin’s family arrives at the palace, and Won wants to be able to give them all the information they need. Then a servant girl sticks her head out of the door and gestures him to enter the room. Now in the bright daylight, Won is able to carefully inspect his friend and is shocked at how badly Rin was wounded. His face and upper body are covered in cuts and bruises and while Rin’s lower body is covered by a blanket, he can only image that his legs were no better. The head eunuch beckons the prince to come closer. He leans in and tells him, with shock evident in his features that Young Master Rin, was in fact brutally and lost a huge amount of blood. If Rin hadn’t been able to escape that night, he surely would’ve died. At this moment there was a second emotion in Won’s head: Anger. The eunuch also tells him that Rin might be traumatized once he wakes up and that he should be approached with the greatest caution, for the images burnt into the young royals mind would terrorize him and leave him distrustful, even, of Won his closest friend. That was when they both heard a soft noise coming from Rin’s bed. While they were approaching the bed, the door was opened and Rin’s father, brother and sister came scurrying inside, faces full of worry and tear tracks evident on Rin’s little sister’s face. The eunuch motions Rin’s father and brother towards him and tells them what happened to their Rin. His sister meanwhile takes a seat at her brother bedside and takes his hand into hers while begging him to awaken. His father is enraged at the news and promises that whoever did this will pay for it with his head. That is when Rin suddenly up in his bed, ignoring the pain and started screaming “No! Don’t do this, please! I beg of you!” His eyes are lacking all focus and like a deer caught in a trap he was struggling to get free. All of them held onto his shoulders and lowered him back onto the mattress while trying to calm him.