Chapter 5

Little krissy

It was a struggle for Junmyeon to make Kris relax. But eventually he did. Kris was exhausted and the events of the day took a toll on his mental state and energy.

He slept the night but his sleep was quite fitful. Junmyeon expected that to happen. Kris was real quick to panic if something he can't control, happens. He suffers from anxiety over the matter. And there were times when Junmyeon was not able to help him with that. But right now, he was determined to not make this incident to be a part of those times. He was going to help him and will try his hardest to  make everything all right.

And it was time to take some actions for it.

" Hello, Minseok. I need you to get some information of someone. Meet me at the walkway near your block this afternoon" 

-

Kris did not look much better since last night. He had heavy eye bags, face was so dull and hair disheveled. And his eyes have a lost light in them.

He looked almost half dead.

"Good morning Kris!" Junmyeon greeted as soon as he saw Kris entering the kitchen and seated at the table. 

Kris just nodded in reply seeming to be in a deep thought. 

Junmyeon sat at the opposite seat from Kris, placing a plate in front of him. They were going to have a simple breakfast of fried rice. 

Junmyeon was eating while Kris just pushed his food with his spoon. Junmyeon heaved a silent sigh and tried to get the other's attention.

"Kris, that food is to eat not to play with." Kris just hummed in reply, not really hearing what Junmyeon said.

Junmyeon caught his wrist and brought Kris's hand in his own. He once again started to reassure him.

"Kris please stop beating yourself over what happened. I know what you are thinking and it was not your fault. You couldn't have controlled it and neither you can change anything now. So stop torturing yourself." 

Kris shook his head. "I can't Junmyeon. He must have said something to someone about it. And I could be sent to hell any minute now."

"Don't be stupid Kris. It would have already happened if he had done so."

"And what about him myeon? If he is disgusted by my little space than how am I going to deal with that? Hell we are locked away in the same cabin all day. I told you only he had shown genuine concern and affection to me apart from you. It will kill me if he is going to walk away from me because of this."

"Kris I know it is hard for you but you need to have some faith in him. If what you said about him is true than I can guarantee that he won't do anything like that. You know him more than me Kris, come on. He won't break friendship with you over this. Who knows he might even help you out with it.?"

"Only in my dreams is that going to happen." Kris dejectedly muttered.

"And don't forget that dreams do come true. So stop worrying now, will you?"

Kris stopped fretting over it and eat his breakfast, even though he was still having doubts. But myeon was right. He would't have said anything or else he would already have been in trouble. And as for him being disgusted Kris just can only wish that won't happen. Kyungsoo is really a nice person and maybe he was underestimating him. Maybe, what Junmyeon is saying will be true. He hope for that to happen.

"Kris I need to be somewhere. I will return in an hour or two. Will you be okay alone?" Junmyeon asked in afternoon. They have been lounging in the condo and just chilling. Junmyeon tried to make Kris relax enough to fall in his little space but today was just not the day. Kris was unable to do so after trying and then he simply just wasn't in the mood. So they were just passing time now.

"Sure myeon. Be careful and don't take long ok. Try to be back before it gets dark."

"Ofcourse! Will be back sooner. Bye!" 

Junmyeon got out of the condo and headed to meet Minseok. The place they were to meet was just a ten minutes walk from there.

Minseok was a senior from Junmyeon's high school. They got to know each other from some mutual friends and had been friends eversince. They trusted each other enough to rely on for some secrets. They were not best friends but they were not acquaintances either. 

Junmyeon had asked Minseok to gather some information about Kyungsoo and then meet him at the decided place. It was not hard for the other as one of his cousin is a detective and really good at what he does. He only needed few hours to gather information as asked. Minseok had called him and told him that they had what he asked for and confirmed their meeting.

Being from a business family and running an empire had taught Junmyeon a lot. He always made sure to know everything about his enemies and potential threats. He should be prepared for anything. Who knows what information could be used as an ace card against the other. Besides, it sometimes helped Junmyeon to play dirty against his competition or the other party he as associated to be. It disgusted him to do that initially but he tried hard to not be like that. That did not continue in hs favor and he was sort of forced to play like that. Although he would only do so if there was no other way for him and avoided it as much as he can. It provided him with more strength to fight and protect what was his. And this time it was about Kris. This was personal and more urgent.

"What have you got for me?" Junmyeon wasted no time in asking as soon as he reached Minseok. The walkway was deserted as it was an afternoon on a public holiday and people were either chilling at home or enjoying picnics in parks mostly. So there was nothing to worry. 

Minseok took out a folder for Junmyeon. It had complete file with papers of Kyungsoo's every information. It was so detailed that it looked like it also contains information about Kyungsoo's past life too.

Thankfully, the information had been summarized in two pages as well. Junmyeon started to skim through the paper and what he read made his eyes bulged out and mouth left agape.

"Oh my God!" he let out in a whisper as the initial shock wore out.

"Yeah! I felt that too when I read its contents. ing hell Junmyeon, it seems that you hit gold."

Junmyeon hummed, glancing at the other still in disbelief and secured the papers in the folder again.

"May I ask what is this about and what he has to do with everything?" 

"Not now Minseok. This is not about me actually. Someone else is involved. But I'll tell you when the time is right for it."

"Ok! I understand completely." Minseok was never one to pry for things. He was mature and understanding. Besides, Junmyeon was trustworthy so he did not think much about it.  

"I got to leave now. Thank you for this Minseok and thank your cousin for this too. He did a great job and in such a short time as well. I will be sure to pay him nicely." 

"Nah. Never mind about that. I will take care of it. You can treat me instead." Junmyeon chuckled and they bid their goodbyes. 

Junmyeon went his own way but it was not to Kris's condo. It was some place else.

--

He was sitting ideally on his couch. Sitting in front of the television but not really watching anything. He was just changing channels. It was clear that his mind was not in there and was occupied with thinking.

Thinking about what had happened last night.

Those thoughts had been in his mind eversince he left the elevator. Everything he did to distract himself was not helping. Even in his dream he saw the terrified eyes and heard the scared whisper. He was not able to get the image of the scared person out of his conscious. 

And what was even more weird about all this was, he was not as fazed as much as he should be. But to think about it, there was nothing much for him to be fazed for. Sure, he was shocked because Kris was the last person he would imagine to be into these kind of stuffs. And as a little that too. But after being thinking about it the whole night, he came to the conclusion that it was not that of a surprise.

Kris has a hell lot of responsibilities on him, was alone and had no friends. He had only his cousin to care for him and lately that person was not able to be much present in his life. Besides, from what he had gathered in his time at Kris's office, Kris and his father never had a good relationship. He never met that old man personally but from what he gathered till now that man was a sick bastard. He treats Kris as an asset and not as a son. That was awful enough to figure out the rest.

So considering everything, he soon acknowledged that is was more than possible for Kris to be a little. So there was no need for him to be fazed over it. There was also another reason for him being so ok about it, but that thing was for another time.

The big question for him was what will happen now? He knows Kris enough by now to know that the guy would be still brooding and beating himself for last night. Kris was self sacrificing and a really kind and nice person. But he also has a tendency of self-deprecation and is habited to put the blame if anything even remotely related to him goes wrong. And what happened last night was huge, even for a normal person. Kris freaking out and almost on the verge of a panic attack proved that.

Yes, he did notice the panic in his eyes and the way he dashed off. He was good at reading people and their body language as well as their emotions(sometimes). He heaved a sigh. He needs to talk and sort it out with Kris first thing tomorrow.

The doorbell brought him out of his deep thoughts. He frowned because not many people knew where he lived and he didn't get many visitors. Those who did made sure to inform him before coming. So he was a bit suspicious at the hint that someone was there at his home. Nevertheless, he did open the door.

He was met with a sight that was quite unusual for him. Standing before him was a guy whom he had never before met or seen. The stranger was approximately the same height as him, and if he was guessing correct he looked to be the same age also. The way he was standing indicated that something like he was on a mission. This further was proved by the determined look held in the person's eye. All these made Kyungsoo even more suspicious and confused. 

"Who are you?" He directed the question to the stranger after few minutes of him staring Kyungsoo down.

"Do you perhaps happen to be D.O. Kyungsoo?" The guy threw question at him instead of answering. By the sound of his voice the matter he was here for seemed serious and it made Kyungsoo slightly concerned.

"Yes." was his curt reply. 

The guy did not spare a moment and invited himself inside the apartment without caring for what the other will think of him. Kyungsoo was shocked at the other's audacity. When he turned to the other to confront him, the person was already facing his way.

He did not let Kyungsoo speak and just ordered, "You should shut your door for what we are required to talk about. It is a very serious matter."

Eventhough still feeling suspicious Kyungsoo did as told. He wanted to get this over with, kick this unpleasant guy out and be left alone again.

Once done, both of them were staring at each other again. Kyungsoo kept quite though, suspecting the other will speak first. Which he did.

"D.O. Kyungsoo. Heard a lot about you. I am Kim Junmyeon, by the way."  He delivered in a stance as if he was trapping the other in a way.

It took few moments for Kyungsoo to get the name kick in his system. When it did though, it left him at a short for words and a little alarmed. But he did not let that shown on his face and kept a blank expression. He had mastered masking his emotions a long time ago.

"Did my name ring a bell?" Junmyeon asked with a smug smile. He knew Kyungsoo had already recognize him and was mildly impressed with the blank reaction the other was holding even in such a situation. It will make everything quite interesting but Junmyeon also made a note of keeping in mind that Kyungsoo was someone you need to be cautious of.

"So you are the infamous cousin Kris told me about." Kyungsoo replied with ease, not letting anything faze him.

"So you both are close enough to be on first name bases." He remarked, pretending to be amused. "And yes, I am the one and only cousin." He gave a light chuckle. Kyungsoo didn't say anything, knowing the guy was just playing with him.

"What did Kris told you about me Kyungsoo?" He drawled his name out. "Did he tell you what sort of a person I am? Do you know how I became a successful businessman?" Junmyeon was giving him a piercing glare as if threatening. Kyungsoo was not much impressed.

"Will you cut to the chase? You didn't stop by to say hi, did you? Didn't you have something serious to discuss? So why don't we get down to the business? You sure have more important things to do, Mr. Businessman." He mocked the other.

The teasing and playful demeanor left Junmyeon completely hearing that. Now a serious person, who meant business, was standing in front of Kyungsoo.

Junmyeon walked over to the sofa Kyngsoo was in previously. He settled himself on it, leaning all the way back with one leg placed on the other. He got himself comfortable as if he was in his own house, while Kyungsoo was still standing. 

"Sit." Junmyeon commanded looking with a steely gaze. Kyungsoo complied heaving a sigh. He knew the newcomer was trying to make it seem as if he was in control and power, even infact the reality was far from that. Opposite actually.

A few more moments passed like that, until Junmyeon broke the silence.

"I am in knowledge of what happened last night while you and Kris were leaving the office building." he simply stated and paused after, to check the other's reactions. Kyungsoo was still sporting that unfazed, blank expression. 

Junmyeon understood the other is just as calculative and cautious of his own presence. This made even more obvious to Junmyeon that he needs to be extremely careful of  Kyungsoo.

"Are you here to threaten me for knowing that?" Kyungsoo finally responded. "Because if you are, then it is not going to work."

The tension between them was growing by each passing second. More so as both of them taking pauses after each of their sentences, so they can study the other.

"D.O. Kyungsoo, even if the situation seems like you are in advantage, you should be more careful of your words. Trust me."

Now Kyungsoo was really getting tired of this little game of their's. They were just wasting time beating around the bush and not coming to the point. This was getting him impatient and fed up.

"Look, let me get this clear. I know how much you care for Kris by what he told me about you both. And you are trying to protect him and his secret. You are scared about me knowing it and probably revealing it to someone, as you rightfully should be. But please, don't be. I can swear on anything that I am not like that. I won't say a word of it to anyone and I certainly don't want to hurt Kris as well. I care about him too. His secret is safe with me." He completed with an earnest look. 

Junmyeon didn't say anything for few moments. He was pleasantly surprised with the sincerity in the other's words. But still, he was not going to let him off the hook so easily. It was never easy for him to trust anyone after being disappointed by people far more time than he can remember. And he can't take a risk with a secret like this.

"Just by swearing and promising me of being a trustworthy person for such a secret will not make me believe you Kyungsoo. These are just words. They are not enough to make me trust you, even more so because we don't know each other."

"I know! I know Mr. Kim! I would be the same as you. But really I am not like that.  From what I came to know about Kris's life and his needs and habits, it is apparent that he needs this. And I may not know about it much, I am not going to judge him or assume anything regarding it. Also, I am guessing you are taking care of him when he is like that, right? So it is natural how you are reacting. Yet, I am assuring you that this is not going to create a problem, atleast from my side. I want you to be rest assured and also tell this to Kris as well. If I am not wrong, he might still be worried about everything. Do tell him not to fear, please."

Kyungsoo was unable to understand why he was trying so hard to convince Junmyeon that he can be trusted with this secret. Maybe because he didn't want the him to think otherwise. Or maybe because he needed this job and didn't want this effect that. Either ways, he has to make sure the other understood this.

On the other hand, Junmyeon was quite happy that there was really someone who really cares about Kris without wanting anything in return. And that maybe Kris would get someone else too to rely on with his needs. Given that h himself was not there for him most of the time lately.  Yet, he was still going to make it solid that Kyungsoo knowing all this won't create a problem in future.

"Oh don't you worry. I am rest assured and will make sure that Kris doesn't have to be scared. You know why Kyungsoo?" Junmyeon said with a smirk, while Kyungsoo just stared questioningly.

Junmyeon fished out the file containing Kyungsoo's information and offered it to him. 

"You might want to have a look at that to know."

Kyungsoo did so. Just as he read the contents in it, his eyes widened and an inaudible gasp left his mouth. A cold sweat broke on his spine as he dumbly stared at the paper in his hands.

Junmyeon chuckled at the other's state. "You see that Kyungsoo. I too know a secret of yours. Now we are even." He was again teasing him like before."And that is why I am rest assured from your part. Coz if you reveal Kris's secret, your's will not be safe too." He smiled menacingly at the other. Even if Junmyeon feels that he can trust him, he was not fool enough to take uncalculated risk. Never. He is a businessman afterall. And business is never done on the basis of feelings or emotions.

Kyungsoo glared with dark eyes at him. Throwing the heavy file again at Junmyeon, he leaned back, relaxed.

Kyungsoo refused to be declared as the loser of this game. He never backs down.

"Go ahead and tell everyone about this. I am not threatened enough to cower or back down, Junmyeon. This is not going to do as much damage to me as it will to you and most to Kris." Kyungsoo gave the other an undefeated look. "But I am not someone to stoop that low, especially when it has nothing good in store for me. I have some value and dignity, no matter what. And I don't want Kris to pay for your ry of coming here and threatening me. He is a good person and I do not wish for him to get involve."

"That is exactly why I am here." Junmyeon declared. "You might be right about us being in sheer disadvantage if this matter is revealed. But you are not going to get out of it without damage either. You may have an idea how these things can escalate in wrong way and get out of hands. Everything can get too ugly for any of us to handle or bear. You understand that right?" 

Kyungsoo nodded, "So what are you proposing to me? Why exactly are you here?"

"I am here to negotiate with you. Since the cat is out of the bag now, we either can go against each other or help. I propose that we not only keep our secrets safe but rather protect it.  That is a win-win for both of us. What do you say?"

Kyungsoo thought about it. By the looks of it, he will not that be in problem if his secret is revealed. But Junmyeon was right. In corporate world, you never an predict what ugly turn these things can take. More so when giants' names are involved. And before they can even know anything, they can lose more what they can afford. The stakes are too high to risk upon. Besides, most of all, he did really  not want to cause Kris any harm.

"Done!" Kyungsoo exclaimed. "I am willing to abide by your proposal Kim Junmyeon."

"It is a deal then." Junmyeon gave a satisfied nod and got up to take his leave. 

"Before I leave Kyungsoo." He turned towards the other "I assume it is obvious to you as well that Kris should not know about this?" 

"Yes, ofcourse Junmyeon."

"Good. And do you need me to prepare Kris for both of you meeting tomorrow? Or help you with that?" 

"If you can do that without hinting of you meeting me, then I'll be glad. But otherwise, I think I'll be fine either ways."

Junmyeon hummed at that saying he can give it a try. Junmyeon knows he is taking a high risk trusting Kyungsoo, even after having a plan against him. And he may even come to regret it big time in the future. But something about the boy makes him want to trust him. Maybe it can be the things he learned for reading people by his experiences. Or his instinct or just a feeling of trustworthiness. He was not sure. But he is going to go with it for now.

"I am doing a huge gamble by trusting you Kyungsoo. Do not make me regret it. Or I will make you regret too." Junmyeon warned one last time before finally leaving the other alone to his thoughts.