Cuffing Season

All Jumbled Up
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Whatever Irene and Seulgi had done, all Yeri could say was that it had worked. Sort of. The two unnies were on speaking terms again, which was what really mattered. Yeri had gotten tired of awkward lunches with one unnie on either side, neglecting to look at the other as if one look would cause imminent death. Anybody who thought like that deserved imminent death. Not really. Yeri loved her unnies in the end.

"They're so weird, hmm?" Yeri though aloud, watching Irene and Seulgi sit at a table at the edge of the cafeteria. Wendy had sent them off, insisting they spend some more time together to fix whatever had been broken in the first place.

"You love them," said Joy, watching Irene and Seulgi just as intently. "I'm just glad they're talking again."

"Me too." Wendy munched some snacks. "Well, I guess it's getting better."

The three watched as Irene and Seulgi's bout of laughter, short-lived, died and left a silence in its place. Irene and Seulgi turned away from each other before facing the other again, mouth open to speak. They giggled again before Irene surrendered and Seulgi began talking.

"How bizarre," commented Yeri. She didn't understand them. She hadn't really understood the whole argument or whatever in the first place. All she knew was that Seulgi and Irene had been sad, and neither had been willing to talk. She knew that both had been acting weird, and then suddenly, one school day, they started talking again.

"Do we even know why they were fighting?" Joy asked. She stole one of Wendy's chips.

"Hey!" Wendy protested, jerking the bag back towards her body and hugging it protectively against her chest. "Mine!"

"Blah, blah," Yeri said, taking a chip of her own while Wendy focused her attention on Joy.

"Yah! You two," Wendy sighed, shaking her head. "And no, Joy. We don't."

"Too bad. Guess we'll never know."

"Probably better not to ask," said Yeri. Joy nodded and stole another chip.

"Yah! Park Sooyoung!"

Meanwhile, Irene held tightly onto Seulgi's bicep, laughing. Her stomach hurt so bad and she couldn't contain any laughter no matter how hard she tried. 

"Seulgi-ah," Irene said, breathing hard. It'd been several days since they talked in the coffee shop, mulling things over and deciding to try their best; If not for them, then for their friends. Irene and Seulgi, both wanting to fix their relationship but not knowing how, felt better, though things were far from the same. Irene finally stopped laughing, a sudden chill running down her spine. "You need to stop making me laugh. My stomach hurts."

"Okay, Hyun," Seulgi said, handing Irene a headphone. "Just one more video. I promise."

"No, no," said Irene, handing the headphone right back. "I think I'll puke if I laugh anymore."

Seulgi chuckled and abandoned the video idea. "Okay." She glanced back at their friends, who were suddenly very invested in whatever was in Wendy's hands. "Our friends keep watching."

"Um, yeah." Irene's head bobbed in agreement. "It's kind of weird."

"Very weird." Seulgi's half-smile made Irene warm inside. She'd missed Seulgi so much. "I feel like a kid being watched by her parents."

"Yeah..." Irene drifted off, watching Seulgi's face. Seulgi looked happy enough. Whether Seulgi was actually happy, though, Irene didn't know. "I really missed you, Seul. My Seul."

It felt so good to say that name again.  it, YooA.

Seulgi's eyes widened briefly before she said, "Y-yeah, Irene. I missed you too." Seulgi settled into a contented smile. "I really missed you."

Irene rested her head on Seulgi's shoulder and held onto Seulgi's hands, playing with her slender fingers. Seulgi's fingers were long and delicate, the kind that Irene imagined would play piano beautifully. Irene wished she had pretty hands. Her hands were small and her fingers short. They would fit perfectly into the palm of someone else's hand, Irene supposed. Bo Gum's. Seulgi's hand was bigger than Irene's, and as Irene's hand lined up by Seulgi's, Irene wondered whether YooA's hand would fit perfectly within Seulgi's the way that Irene's fit her boyfriend's.

"Seulgi," Irene said softly, interlocking her fingers with Seulgi's and catching the younger girl's attention.

"Yeah, Hyunnie?"

Irene looked into Seulgi's eyes, searching for sincerity. She just wanted to make sure. "I'm the one closest to you, right?"

Seulgi's cheeks felt warm as Irene's eyes blazed a hole through her head. Irene's jealousy was kind of cute. Amusing, even. Seulgi gave Irene's hand a squeeze and smiled as she reassured Irene of her place in her heart. "Of course, Hyun."

Irene responded by humming her content and returning her attention back to Seulgi's hands, tapping at Seulgi's fingers. They were silent for a few minutes, feeling the eyes of their friends boring holes into the backs of their heads, expecting some sort of signal that things were okay or that things were very much not. However, to the three watchers' chagrin, there wasn't much happening besides basic skinship. They also had a limited view.

"Stupid! Why did you choose to sit by this pole?" Yeri smacked Joy.

"Me? It was Wendy!" Joy pointed at the culprit.

"Yah! Don't blame me for your stupidity!"

After the silence grew unbearable, Irene lifted her head to look up at her bear. "Seulgi."

"Yeah?" Irene felt Seulgi's body shift. It felt so real.

"Are we okay?"

Seulgi paused and looked down at Irene resting against her body. Seulgi's body felt warm. "I don't know, Hyun. Are we?"

"Yah," Irene said warningly, shoving Seulgi lightly. "You joke too much."

"Maybe you need to joke more."

"You joke enough for the both of us."

"And I'll continue to do so," said Seulgi, holding onto Irene's hands, "because yeah, we're okay."

Irene's smile spread to the edges of her face, threatening to spill off the sides. "I love you."

"I love you too." Seulgi hugged Irene close. "You know you're like my best friend, right?"

"Yes. You know you're like my best friend, right?" Irene weaved her fingers into Seulgi's sweater, fistfuls of wool feeling fluffy beneath her fingertips.

Seulgi confirmed that she knew with a kiss to

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter