Sealed For Eternity

Sealed For Eternity
Please log in to read the full chapter

Two roses, with stalks entwined together into an infinity sign.

 

Simple and elegant; it was Jihoon’s soulmate seal and the design that haunted Guanlin’s dreams.

 

-

 

Clear azure skies and sparkling golden sunlight with chirping birds and a whistling breeze. It was a great day to be out and everyone was in a bright mood, even as they trekked to class.

 

All except one particular boy who was lying on his desk with a frown and gloomy face.

 

“Hey Guanlin, what’s wrong? Why are you looking so down on this sunny day?”

 

Guanlin sighs and straightens up, facing his best friend.

 

“Oh Daehwi. You know, the usual…”

 

Daehwi sighs as well and sits at his desk in front of Guanlin’s, turning to face the younger.

 

“Lin-ah, I know you don't want to hear this anymore, but you can’t do anything about it if he’s found his soulmate. If you don’t move on you will just get hurt more in the end.”

 

Guanlin tries to smile but it just comes out as a grimace.

 

“Thanks for worrying about me Daehwi. I know all that but my heart won’t let it go. I like Jihoon-hyung too much.”

 

-

 

It was a Friday evening when Guanlin was lying on Jihoon’s bed for their weekly movie night. Jihoon slips their chosen movie into the DVD player before plopping down next to Guanlin.

 

“Guannie, you excited to get your soulmate seal? Your birthday is in a month.”

 

Guanlin turns to Jihoon, eyes flickering unwillingly to the small black roses inked on the side of Jihoon’s neck. Moving his eyes to Jihoon’s smiling face, Guanlin feels his heart miss a beat.

 

“I guess.” Guanlin replies, attempting to sound lighthearted.

 

“You don’t sound too enthusiastic.”

 

Clearly Guanlin’s attempt failed.

 

With a mysterious grin Guanlin shrugs.

 

“Maybe it just hasn’t hit me yet.”

 

-

 

Two weeks before Guanlin’s birthday grey clouds fills the sky and thunder rumbles in the distance. The wind picks up and it starts sprinkling, consistently getting heavier until it’s pouring buckets of cold rain.

 

Guanlin is huddled inside his black trench coat, one hand deep in his pocket and the other clutching onto an umbrella that did little to keep out the rain. He picks up his pace, wanting to get home as soon as possible.

 

Then Guanlin turns a corner and in front of him a ray of sun passes by.

 

Jihoon was soaked from the rain, without a raincoat or umbrella, but he was smiling and laughing beautifully. His hand was holding tightly onto another boy as they ran for cover.

 

Struck by the sudden scene, Guanlin stills in his spot as he watches Jihoon disappear from his view. A good five minutes later, Guanlin finally shakes his head and sighs as he continues on his way.

 

-

 

Later that night Guanlin is wrapped warmly in his bed covers as he intensely plays a game on his phone. A call flashes across his screen and he’s about to curse whoever it was for making him lose when he sees the caller ID.

 

Guanlin's eyes flicker to the time, 11:02pm, and frowns. With a quick movement he swipes to the right and takes the call.

 

“Jihoon-hyung?”

 

There is a beat of silence before a sniffle is heard. Guanlin bolts up in his bed, concern washing through him.

 

“Jihoon-hyung, what’s wrong?”

 

Another short silence passes which only fuels Guanlin’s worry.

 

“I’m outside.” was all Jihoon replies with, voice barely stable.

 

Guanlin is confused for a second before he leaps towards his window. Peaking out, he sees a dark shadow on his doorstep. Guanlin immediately rushes down the stairs and all but runs to the front door.

 

Swinging the door open Guanlin finds a dishevelled looking Jihoon on the steps. His hair is a mess from the winds and his clothes look wet. And although Jihoon has his head down, Guanlin knows there are tear stains on his cheeks.

 

Guanlin feels his heart break at the sight of his wonderful hyung like this and pulls him inside gently.

 

“Hyung,” Guanlin begins before Jihoon launches himself into Guanlin’s chest. Jihoon wraps his arms tightly around the younger’s waist, shoulders shaking as he sobs.

 

Seeing Jihoon like this makes Guanlin want to cry too but

Please log in to read the full chapter