03. Mosquito

Promise
Dedicated to rin and to all the mosquitos I've killed before.
 
In which Yuri was reincarnated as a mosquito.
 
It was summer; the sun was shining brightly as two girls were sitting on swings at the park, moving it back and forth slowly. It was all silence with the two of them enjoying each other’s presence until one of the girl finally decided to open .
 
“Yena, do you believe in reincarnation?” Yuri stopped her swing and fixed her attention to the girl beside her.
 
Yena shook her head. “People are just making it up so they can feel better about their lives, thinking that they still have a chance in their next life.”
 
“I do believe in it though,” Yuri said as she removed her eyes from the other girl, looking at her shoes instead. She took a deep breath. “Because if I can be reborn many times, that means I can fall in love with you over and over again.”
 
Yena stayed still for a while before blinking her eyes and turned her head to the latter. “Yuri, did you just confess to me?”
 
“Maybe?” Yuri vaguely answered though she still couldn’t hide how red her cheeks were. 
 
Yena laughed as she couldn’t help herself but to pinch the other’s cheek, making Yuri blushed even more. “You know, I’d rather to not be reborn so I can love you with all my heart in my one and only life."
 
 
Yena woke up from her sleep with sweats all over her body. Not that dream again. She had enough of that dream and the only thing she wanted was to move on, to accept the fact that her girlfriend had been dead for over a year, to stop blaming herself for what had happened.
 
 
It was snowing outside and Yena was sitting in a restaurant; waiting for Yuri for more than one hour. It’s been exactly 6 months since they started dating and they had promised that they’d eat together that day. 
 
Yena checked her phone again for the nth time to see if there were any message from the one she had been waiting for, but there was nothing. It wasn't normal, she thought. Yuri never came late and even though she did, she'd send a message to let the other know.
 
Yena then pressed the green button beside Yuri's name, trying to call the girl.
 
"Please answer it, Yuri," she whispered while tapping the table, impatiently waiting for an answer.
 
'Hello.'
 
Someone picked up the phone, but it wasn't Yuri.
 
'Are you one of ms. Jo Yuri's friend?'
 
“Yes, I am."
 
Yena bit her lips nervously, wondering why was another person answering and not Yuri.
 
'We're sorry to inform you that ms. Yuri had been involved in an accident and we—'
 
"Send me the hospital's address, I'm going there now." Yena said before she harshly hang up the phone as she asked a waiter for her bill. She then put some money on the table and left without caring about the change. The only one she had on her mind was Yuri. The only one she wanted to see was Yuri. 
 
The only thing she wished for was Yuri to be fine.
 
Though it didn't come true at the end.
 
 
Since that day, Yena couldn’t stop blaming herself. She kept thinking about what would happen if she didn’t force Yuri to celebrate 6 months of them dating. Maybe she would still be alive now, possibly be here, next to her. Yena shook her head, trying to keep the thoughts out of her mind. Because no matter how much she thought about it, things wouldn't change.
 
Yena finally decided to get up from her bed and turn on her laptop. It was still 4AM in the morning but she didn’t want to go back to sleep because she knew, she would get another dream about Yuri and she was tired about it. She tried to find a drama episode that she hadn’t watched yet but one folder distracted her from doing it. A folder of Yuri’s pictures.
 
 
Meanwhile, a mosquito had been flying for hours, trying to avoid people who tried to kill her. It was her 35th day and she had been flying for miles, searching for one particular house. She didn’t have much time, she needed to find that house; her past-life girlfriend's house. 
 
She knew that she wasn't going to the wrong direction as she started to see familiar building around her and when she finally saw that one particular house, a little smile formed on her face (can a mosquito smile though?). She flapped her wings even faster, believing it would shorten the time needed for her to go to the house.
 
 
Yena walked out of her room to grab some water from the kitchen. She needed to dehydrate herself after crying over Yuri’s photos. Pathetic isn’t it? She refused to sleep because she didn’t want to dream of her dead girlfriend but ended up finding a way to cry over her anyway. 
 
“You can’t be like this forever,” she whispered to herself, wiping tears on her cheeks. She put down the glass and looked around the kitchen. She noticed a mosquito was flying around the room before it finally flew to her direction. Weird, Yena thought. She rarely saw mosquito in her house, possibly never. But who cares really, it’s just a mosquito, it would probably die in a few days anyway.
 
Yena then walked back to her room and lay herself on the bed. She was exhausted because of crying so she decided to just sleep
 
But when she closed her eyes, she started to hear buzzing on her ears, stopping her from sleeping. She groaned lightly and opened her eyes. It was a mosquito and Yena was pretty sure it was the exact same mosquito as the one in the kitchen since it's the only mosquito she had ever seen in the house.
 
"Oh my gosh, can you go away," she said to the mosquito not knowing how those words hurt it so badly. She tried to kill the mosquito by clapping her hands repeteadly, but the mosquito was too versatile as it kept dodging Yena's hands.
 
Yena finally gave up and went out from her room. At the same moment, the mosquito was flying around the room trying to remember every single moment of her past life in this room. And when her eyes noticed the laptop on the table, she smiled because iIt was showing a picture of herself in the past life. 
 
But those cherish moment didn't last long because Yena finally came back with an insect killer on her hand and it only took less than a second for the mosquito to start feeling dizzy.
 
Little did Yena know, that mosquito was the reincarnation of her girlfriend.
 
But at least, the mosquito was happy to see Yena in this life and to know that she wasn’t forgotten.
 
THIS IS SO LAME OH MY GOD. 
I literally ditched writing With You for this, so I hope you still enjoy it no matter how weird this fic is.
Thanks to rin for the prompts.
 
Anyway, I don't know what to do with this story so if you have prompts, you can put it in the comment or if you're too shy you can send it to my cc: curiouscat.me/sunshineyena