mandu

Something Just Like This

Jisoo's face looked brighter against the soft rays of the setting sun, her skin shone without any flaws to show. The blurry scenery of buildings, trees, and rushing people behind the bus' glass window made Jisoo look like a painting as her side profile perfectly blended with it.

Jennie stared. She was sitting a few inches away from Jisoo. She felt warm.

She then looked at the orange sky above. Jennie wondered if there were parallel universes and if there were Jisoos in these universes. There probably isn't someone like Jisoo, even on this Earth. She silently thanked the universe that she's in, for having Jisoo at the same time as her.

Jennie and Jisoo had been growing closer. Since their first 'date', they had been going to school together after discovering that they rode the same bus. Jennie would always wait for Jisoo, she was never punctual but the thought of meeting Jisoo at the bus stop first thing in the morning made her get up. She was happy to wait for Jisoo.

Even on their way back to their own homes, Jennie would wait an hour for Jisoo in school just so they can walk and ride the bus together, and sometimes have dinner if there weren't too much homework. Jisoo insisted that she went home first, but Jennie made alibis that she needed to study in the library or go to some sort of club. She had made all kinds of alibis that Jisoo got used to Jennie waiting for her and stopped asking her not to.

It might seem unusual, for them to instantly become this close. But Jennie and Jisoo instantly clicked, like a pair of magnets who finally found each other. 

Jennie discovered Jisoo's really weird and dorky side. The girl liked to make jokes, make weird noises, and also had tons of weird ideas. Jennie would've found it uncomfortable if it were other people, but it was Kim Jisoo, her Kim Jisoo.

Jisoo asked Jennie if she had other friends, and Jennie told her about Rose who's currently in Australia, so she was sort of alone now in their school. She told Jisoo how the other students used to avoid her because she comes off as snob and stingy, but the truth is, she's just quiet with new people. Jisoo was shocked at Jennie's story because she had always found Jennie so soft and cute. Jisoo's comment was enough for Jennie to forget those bad experiences with her classmates.

The sun had almost completely set now, the sky was turning to a clear shade of grey. Jennie leaned on Jisoo's shoulder, it was her first time doing this. Jisoo didn't flinch, so Jennie stayed and savoured the sweet scent at the crook of Jisoo's neck. She felt content.

"Hey, do you want to have dinner tonight?" Jisoo broke the silence.

"Hmm" Jennie hummed in agreement. Her eyes were closed.

"You know what, I want to eat some mandu."

"Dumpling?" Jennie opened her eyes, it was her favourite.

"Yes. Because it reminds me of you." 

Jennie shifted her head a bit, but stayed on Jisoo's shoulder. "Me? Why?"

"Because you like to stick to me."

Jennie let out a laugh, "I do." 

"From now on, you are my Jendeukie~"

"your Jendeukie.." Jennie muttered more to herself.

She heard Jisoo hum in agreement. She silently thanked the Gods that Jisoo couldn't see her face, because she was so sure that it was burning red.

"..my Jendeukie~" Jennie repeated Jisoo's words in her mind. It sounded so good, better than her favourite song.

Jennie didn't know what this is, but Jisoo felt so right. Her heart was full and happy - yet it wanted more - more of Jisoo, more of Jennie and Jisoo. 

The darkness had set in around them, and she wanted to drown in the darkness, in the darkness that looked so bright. In the darkness of not knowing the explanation for everything. In the darkness of having Jisoo by her side. If the light at the end of the tunnel meant losing Jisoo, then she didn't want it at all. She preferred this, the innocence, the ambiguity, and the middle.

And for the first time, Jennie felt scared.