Chapter II

Rising Strong
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

CHAPTER NOT EDITED

“Then the answer would be… one five three over five pie. Right, moving onto the next question then…” the sound of paper flipping is like music to my ears as my hand naturally flip through the thick pages of the textbook that Mr Lee provided. The class hours have officially ended, it was 3.30 in the afternoon, and I am currently doing finishing the questions given in one of the main sanctuary I lived for in school that kept me going.

Surprise wasn’t even the word to begin with when I was called upon in the principal office last week only to be found out that I was chosen to be the school representative in interschool mathematical Olympiad, yet again. I thought I have made it clear before that I won’t be joining anything that required physical presence, essay contest sure, science project, easy, just send in your invention or project and they will evaluate them without needing your presence as long as you provide the perfect descriptions, instruction and demonstration, in which not to brag or anything (okay maybe I am, screw me I’m proud of myself alright) I won for two years in a row.

But an interschool mathematical Olympiad, that… that is on a different level. Am I interested to join? One hundred percent. Do I want to join? Well, do I want to be eaten by a lion? The answer would be the same, a no with the power of infinity.

Trust me when I said I have always been out of the radar kind of girl, away from the scrutinizing eyes of the student bodies in my school, not to mention trying to stay with my resolution of being as invisible as possible especially from them and him. After years of surviving here in this school, let’s be honest, I won’t be making any friends anytime soon now am I with everyone avoiding me like I’m some sort of a disease, it’s not as if I have leprosy.

Putting my worn out mechanical pencil down as I paused my calculation midway. Blankly staring at the paper in front of me, looking over the complexity beauty of the question down to the equations and formulas to the answers. Even a complex question of finding a rotational volume will eventually have its answer, me? Sighing in defeat…

I have no idea where to begin, the problem has gotten too long that even with my incredible memory, I still can’t figure out the core cause of my problem. It all leads back to Kim Hanbin. My eyes started to sting as if my body control is on autopilot. Even the thought of him made my heart clenched.

What have I ever done to him to deserve such treatment by him. As the only two 16 years old in the upper sixth form, he has so much power reigning over the school and the people around him. How could an angel in the eyes behold by others be such a demonic being to only me?

Wiping off a lone tear that stubbornly spilled down my cheek, as I took a deep breath, calming myself down. Kim Hanbin doesn’t deserve my attention yet alone my thoughts of him. Shaking my head, determined to fulfil my resolution, keeping away from the likes of Kim Hanbin also meant having zero thoughts of him. Shutting my eyes shut in determination.

Peaceful thoughts Jennie Kim! Peaceful!

Think of Kai, fluffy Kuma and fatty Kenzo at home lying on their backs showing their fluffy bellies to me. Ehehe... Odd sounds of laughter bubble escaped, animals would never fail to bring smiles on my face before concentrating back to my current engagement with maths.

I was alone in my usual reserved place, well not exactly reserved but it was abandoned somehow, as if no one knew about this place just because the table isn’t as new or high-tech as the other updated facilities in the other parts of the library. This table, seemed to be the oldest with slightly wobbling worn out wooden chairs and a table isolated against the others as it was placed at far end of the library by the window, surrounded by tall shelves of books. I’ve made it as my personal space, with the approval of the librarian of course, ah yes, the librarian the sweetest lady Mrs Shin. One of the only people in school who has the guts to stand up for me, apart from Mrs Lisa of course. I still remember the first time I met her as if it was like yesterday.

It was the first day of school and as usual as of tradition, the school required the school student bodies and staffs to attend the annual grand assembly. I was late of course, courtesy of my mum’s old station wagon broken down on our way to school. By the time I reached there, the grand hallway was empty from any trace students. Clutching my mum’s written letter as I made my way to the office, when suddenly I heard a shout “There she is, that’s Jennie Kim” and soon a herd of foot stomps were heard grumbling down the hall as it grew near towards me, securely clutching my satchel as I ran as fast as I can down the hallway, away from the growing crowd of boys and girls chasing down my arse.

Panting hard when I saw Mrs Shin gesturing her hand over calling me over. Making my way over her as she pushed me into the library. Crouching over my knees, panting like a dog to a much needed air as I listened to the con

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter