Waves

Crying At The Moon
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Yongsun's POV:

I thought it was okay.

That everything will fall into place if we just let things be.

If we just waited until both of us were ready.

But I guess, the world we live in is too fast-paced, that if you couldn't stride along with the waves, you'll drown.

I was never ready to tell the world, while she was so eager to do so.

So when the time caught up with us...

...I could only watch her.

"Unnie." I could clearly see the shock on Wheein's face as soon as I opened the door. I didn't know why but in the pit of my stomach I knew something was wrong.

I felt the same unsettling feeling that nags on me whenever Moonbyul's a little too close to another person. The same feeling I felt when I knew they were together so late at night, a year ago.

It was so trivial, but I remembered. I remembered that night that they went out. I know it shouldn't mean anything then, but somehow it stuck to me. I guess somehow I always knew. Even before Byul knew. I just didn't want to address it. I never thought I'd have to.

Wheein likes Byul.

And somehow...

...somehow Byul likes her back.

Because in that split moment that I opened the door, I saw them.

I saw how Wheein looked at my girlfriend. And how I wish I saw how Byul is looking at her, but despite not seeing it, I saw how Byul's eyes widened a little when she realized that they weren't alone anymore.

As if what they were talking about was only exclusive for them. Like they were in their own little world for a moment, and I just invaded it.

Me...

I couldn't help but chuckle a little.

I couldn't believe I'd ever be the one invading.

But it definitely looked and felt like it.

"You're home." Byul says, standing up as she smiles that smile that never failed to weaken my heart.

She almost stumbles back but Wheein was able to catch her.

And I know it shouldn't hurt this much but it hurt like hell.

I should be the one holding you, Byul. I should be the one fixing you up, but why does it feel like you didn't need me? It feels like you didn't need me today to fix your day. I was so prepared to make it up to you because I know today didn't turn out like you wanted to. But it seemed to me like you're doing just fine without me.

I don't know if it's selfish to wish that I arrived with a drunk messy Byul. But I did anyways. Maybe then I wouldn't feel this dread lurking in my mind right now.

Is it really selfish to wish that you weren't so happy despite my absence?

Lately, it feels like Wheein's presence is enough to make Byul's day.

And I hated it.

I wish I don't notice. But I do. I so do...

But I shake off my thoughts away. "Let's go to our room." I said as I walked towards them, placing a hand on Byul's arm and guiding her to our room as Wheein stood there.

I could sense that she wanted to say something, or is at least thinking about it.

But I was too blinded by my own thoughts that I couldn't be bothered waiting for what she's going to say.

"Goodnight, Wheepup." I heard Byul say. I felt like my heart was being trampled before my eyes. It shouldn't bother me this much but it does.

Wheepup. What a cute nickname.

Wheein gave Byul a weak smile, then turned to me. "Goodnight, unnie." I wish she didn't look so guilty, maybe it would've eased my mind a little.

I forced a smile as I greeted her back. "Goodnight, Wheein."

"Yongsun, how was dinner?" Byul asked when we were already laying in our bed.

"It was fine. It was the typical dinner with my parents." I replied. Nothing special happened. And I really didn't want to talk about it, considering that this was supposed to be the night I tell my parents about us. I'm pretty sure Byul's just asking for the sake of it too.

"I didn't expect you to be home so early." Byul commented. I know she didn't mean anything by it, but it irked me. Their faces when they saw me enter that door kept replaying in my head.

"Why? Do you prefer I come home late?" I questioned.

"What?" Byul asked in confusion.

"I came home earlier because I know you." I replied, not letting my doubts and worries get the best of me. I didn't want to pick a fight. After all, it was my fault that she's not with me and with Wheein's company instead. "I know you'll get drunk by yourself since Hyejin and Wheein went out on a date."

"I wanted to make sure you're taken care of." I said to her. I wanted her to at least know that I care about her.

"You're so sweet, YongKong." she said softly before placing a kiss on my cheek. "I'm sorry I got drunk. I know you don't like it when I drink."

"Today's justified." I assured her. "I'm sorry tonight didn't go as planned." I apologized sincerely, I still feel bad about backing out on our plan.

"Shhhh." Byul said groggily. "I love you. I'll always understand, Yongsun. You don't need to apologize."

Even in her drunk state, Moonbyul has always been so sweet, so understanding.

I felt her arms wrap around me. I've always felt safe in her embrace.

And just like that, all my worries seemed to dissipate as I find myself falling deeply asleep.

Yongsun's POV:

I thought that sleeping it out would lessen my worries that night.

But days passed, then weeks, then months.

And still...I couldn't get the thought off my mind. In fact, it only grew as days passed by.

It didn't help that Wheein was clearly avoiding Moonbyul since that night, which could only mean that something relevant happened.

I couldn't ask Byul myself, maybe it would've spared me all these thoughts but I wasn't sure I could handle the truth.

I saw them that time too.

It was just after a university festival that we performed in.

We just got home, and it was already late at night.

Wheein said she wanted some fresh air, but she obviously just wanted to get as far away from Byul as possible

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter