━☆⌒* CT20

Under The Lights

CHAPTER TWENTY

Ominous Vibe

“Do you think we will make it on time?” Shinyoung asked the question to her seated partner before fully facing him. He is thinking about the same question for a good few minutes to and to hear it coming from her again only shows how much they actually care for the production team back at the Silver Diamond Performance Hall. “We’re supposed to. What do you think?” Mingyu returned with his attention mainly fixated on his phone where notifications constantly dinging away.

Three days passed by in a breeze and the shooting ends the first thing in the morning. Never in their life will they be that glad to hear Minghao’s screaming ‘cut’. This one is a special one because the whole gang has to be at the performance hall – the sooner the better. Though all of them have their respective replacement in the full dressed rehearsal, in mind, they are sure by being physically there at the hall will make a huge difference.

“Where did Jungkook get this car anyway?” Minghao gazes at the mentioned boy who is claiming the driver’s seat. His eyes are on the road but he still finds a way to sneak into the conversation. “Do you guys know Namjoon? He let me borrow on one condition. We have to fetch him so he can go to see the rehearsal together.”

“Namjoon, as in Kim Namjoon? Isn’t he one of the past directors? How do you know him? Didn’t you join RQS late?” The girl moves forward to get a glimpse of Jungkook. The designated driver chuckles at the numerous questions. “I joined late but it was his show that got me into the production. When I saw him standing at the centre stage, I knew I had to join Rose Quartz. I immediately talked to him after the show and I got in.”

“Never thought Namjoon has that huge impact on you.” Mingyu spoke. Amazed on the level of dedication his friend has on the older fellow. It reminds him a lot like, “Shinyoung’s admiration towards Yoongi.”

“Stop reminding me about that all the time.” The girl rolls her eyes, smacking on the boy’s arm when she feels as if she is being exposed to something very personal. One can tell that quite a number of close people know how massive the amount of respect she has on the former lighting designer. Smiling slightly, Minghao switches his view from his friends to look outside.

The summer’s heat is slowly creeping on them by the time it is afternoon and Jungkook parks the car on the side of a road. Stands five storeys high in front of them is where he supposedly promised to meet up with their senior in the production. None of them aside from Jungkook actually had the chance to talk to him directly so it feels strange to walk into the lobby of Namjoon’s small recording studio.

It does not resemble the more established music companies in the country yet Shinyoung can see progress on the way the mere lobby is decorated. Painted with light grey accented wall, the furniture goes well in the same monochrome colour palette. Since Jungkook already made the plan, it is not a surprise to see Namjoon coming out of the elevator with bright smile.

“How about lunch before we head to Rose Quartz?”

 


 

“Has anyone seen Taehyung?” The voice owned by the male’s girlfriend enters one of the actresses’ ears as something suddenly triggers in the back of her mind. The one on the chair right in front of her shakes her head. “Why are you asking about him all of the sudden?” Sujeong said questioningly when Jiyeon abruptly stops doing her make-up. Even with the rush environment harbouring in the girls’ waiting room, her brain appears to be elsewhere.

The time shown on the wall clock is exactly three in the afternoon. Junhui advised the Artistic Team to start preparing for the full dressed rehearsal and the call-time to be on stage will be around seven. Four hours are all the entire team has and Jiyeon is thankful to know that the female dance ensemble knew how to do their own make-ups. The only ones she has to worry about will be the males.

“I think I saw him with Chan actually.” Eunha gives the piece of information that she knew from running from the main hall to the backstage minutes ago. “I believe he was still doing last minute checks for the platforms and scaffolding set. He is working with the lighting team, perhaps.” The girl added.

“You don’t look good, Jiyeon. Are you alright?” Sujeong asked another question and this time with extra concern in her tone. The older female seems to not have her attention on the lead actress for a minute. The brush on the mixed foundation plate is still on the table even though her hand is holding onto them. A strong feeling is whirling in the pit of her stomach and it is not the good kind.

“I don’t know. I just…I just have feeling something bad is going happen.” She finally stated, lowering her tone as she does not want the other cast to listen to their exchange. It is not a good idea to worry the lead actresses too but she has no other choice. They are the two friends that are the closest to her in the production.

“Maybe it’s just you over thinking about the show.” Eunha assures by gently holding onto the make-up artist’s left hand. She squeezes the grasp softly to further comfort the nervous sensation simulating in her.

“He’s here! Thank goodness!” The people inside the female’s waiting room over heard their Stage Manager’s voice. Assuming it is right behind the closed door, it is becoming louder before the recognisable face owned by the Assistant Stage Manager appears through the slight gap. “Wait, I’ll let her- oh, Jiyeon! Junhui told me to tell you to do Myungho’s make-up. He’s washing up and ready.”

“I thought he’s with Mingyu for that shooting.” Jiyeon straightforwardly replied and her hand quickly retrieves the brush in order to finish Sujeong’s make-up. Jung Yerin, Junhui’s assistant shrugs but looking on her up close, Eunha senses the urgency in her movement. “There’s still less than two hours to get him ready, Yerin. Calm down.”

“I wish I can. I get panic easily.” The girl simply confessed the fact. “You don’t say…” Sujeong muttered whilst getting her face down within the next ten minutes.

 


 

Right by the main stage area is the chaotic Theatre Director, Choi Seungcheol and his assistant, Jeon Wonwoo. Though frankly saying, the younger boy appears calmer than the older director as they run around to ensure the full dressed rehearsal or preview for the former directors is all set and done. Obviously, that would have been too easy for the team.

“What do you mean the vacuum doesn’t work? It worked just fine yesterday!” Seungcheol yelled at to the entire Set and Props team. They appear to be very terrified of the situation unfolded in front of them and being the leader of the team, Taehyung paces around the stage more than any of the other crew members. “And what the hell is that doing on top of the scaffolding? That’s not a part of the set!”

“Look, the wires have to be there whether you like it or not. How else are we supposed to make Seungkwan lands safely? It’s what written by Shinyoung with lots and lots of exclamation marks!” Taehyung replied in the same fashion which causes the atmosphere in the hall tenser than it is expected to be.

“Can you at least make it nea-”

“Cheol! Namjoon’s here with the Cinematography kids!” The group caught Sungjae’s loud booming voice transferred across the hall. He is literally standing by the main entrance to check on Yanan and only to see Namjoon himself with the rest of the so-called kids. He goes into a speedy run, joining the thick tension created. At least with Sungjae being there, he acts like a scissors, slowly cutting the tension off.

“Does that mean?” Wonwoo dramatically hold onto his question a tad longer before Seungcheol finishes them off with a relieved smile. “Our gang is complete tonight.” He claps his hands multiple times, gathering the attention of anyone nearby.

“Listen, I’m sorry for yelling but I need everyone to settle things down as quick and safe as possible. It’s just Namjoon that arrives. The rest will probably be here soon and we don’t want to disappoint them especially Eunkwang, alright? Let’s go!”

With that said, almost everyone disperses in various directions. Some are continuing where they left off while some start to do the cleaning aspects. Taehyung on the other hand is still figuring out how to make the vacuum to work again. Joining him a couple of minutes later are Chan who was planning to ask about where to throw the whole bag of trash initially.

“Is it still not working?” The boy peers on the older male’s action as he holds on the black plastic bags in his hands. “Nope. I swear it works with no problem yesterday. You were here too, right?” Chan nods.

“Anyway, the large bin is at the back of the building. Use the back exit, right down same hallway after the boy’s toilet.” Taehyung informed when he sees him struggling to keep the heavy bags by his sides. Once he is done thanking the leader, Chan instantly drags his feet to backstage and for that he has to pass by the female’s waiting room.

That is where he conveniently stumbles upon Kim Jiyeon who is just walking out of the exact aforementioned room. Her brows are almost knitted in the centre. Eyes squinted to no one in particular. At first look, it scares the young boy. At second look, it worries him.

“Are you okay? Do you need help with that? I’m going to throw these away anyway.” Chan offered when he sees a small white plastic in Jiyeon’s grasp. She appears to take a second of thought before briefly shaking her head. “It’s okay. I’m planning to go out to the car for awhile actually.” She told and follows him.

The walk to the back side of the building is disturbingly quiet compared to the noisy surrounding that is currently happening inside. Chan halts after noticing the older female stops to talk with Minghao when he exited the restroom. She talks to him quickly, asking if he is ready to style himself. Once the Chinese boy bobs his head, she returns to the younger fellow’s spot.

They part ways after Jiyeon helpfully pushes the door instead of letting Chan do the extra work. The girl heads straight to her boyfriend’s car which is parked only metres from the garbage zone. Aside from snatching more make-up blenders in the backseat, she has no reason to stay yet she chooses to take a quick rest before continuing her work. It is not like she does not have any assistant to help her doing the others make up anyway.

“Jiyeon?” The informality used in the tone distracts her from closing her eyes. She lets the door open for air so she is not shock to see Taehyung’s worried look with Chan’s figure moving back to the hall behind her boyfriend’s. “I thought you’re inside doing Sujeong’s and Eunha’s make up.”

“I’m already done theirs and Seungkwan’s an hour ago. I’m just waiting for Myungho to settle down before heading back inside. It’s too chaotic.” Taehyung smiles whilst listening to her confession. She is never a fan of crowded spaces but it comes as a package deal when she signed up under RQS Production for the last couple of years. “What are you doing here?” She tossed the question.

He sighs, leaning against the car while he is there. At first, taking a break sounds good since the vacuum has yet to show signs of working. Now that he is with his girlfriend, he recalls the wires on the top of the high scaffolding. She mentioned Myungho and Myungho only but the name alone concerns him the most. The lad never practiced using the stunt equipment unlike Seungkwan.

“Do you think this play will make the production turn?” He voiced, genuinely to no one in particular. He glances sideways where her shoulders shrug a little. “If we are being real, no. One play is not enough to keep the production stand like its former glory. Even we had problems during our times, remember?”

“I know.” Taehyung replied instantly, already expecting the answer from Jiyeon. When she is not saying anything, he holds out a hand to help her out of the car. With a bunch of tissues in hand besides the blenders, she gazes at his back as he closes the door. They are about to return to the hall until Taehyung catches Jiyeon stopping.

“What’s wrong? Did you leave anything in the car?”

“No.” She briefly answered, eyes wandering around the car park as if she is searching for something. It fixes on the back entrance gate where another car drives in which causes the couple’s eyes to widen in complete surprise. “You’ve got to be kidding with me.” She heard Taehyung uttered in what she assumes to be a disappointment but when her eyes meet his face, she sees him smiling.

“Hey, long time no see, Park Jimin!” The fellow waves his hands frantically from their current spots and advances towards the car. Seconds after it is parked, it is obvious that he is not alone. Soonyoung steps out of the vehicle too once the drive beams a bright smile over at the pair. The Choreographer might have forgotten the fact the Head Department of the Scenic Team is best friends with his respected senior.

“Sorry,” Soonyoung apologised whilst opening the back door, unexpectedly bumping onto tired looking Wen Junhui. As if the energy randomly surging in his veins, the stage manager expresses, “Thank goodness you’re here. The technicians are here for half an hour already with everything but the fog machine.”

“I don’t recall the fog machine being a part of the lighting department’s responsibility.” He frankly stated, eyeing strangely before following the fellow to the front stage. Like the director, the dancer is taken aback by the sight of Namjoon talking, perhaps asking about the show from Wonwoo since Seungcheol is nowhere to be seen.

He finds Yein on the second floor along with Vernon and Hyunggu. However, Soonyoung is glad to see Shinyoung finally among the team. At least he does not have to tag along with Jimin anymore to the Silver Diamond Hall until the end of the show.

 

 MEET THE CREW