Truth or Truth

Truth or Truth

"How’s your day been, Moonstar?”

“Saw the sun for a few minutes and have been ecstatic ever since.” Byul answered, grinning from ear to ear. Hyejin knew better that Byul was not talking about the sun which the earth revolves around, but her other “sun”. Gross. Hyejin gave Byul a disgusted look, but the latter just laughed it off. If only Byul was not so stupid to notice she had woken up a roaring lion inside Hyejin, she would have had run for her life, let alone make such a scene.

Hyejin had been bottling up her feelings towards Byul for almost three eras of Mamamoo. Now that they were busy promoting their new album, Hyejin caught a glimpse of hope from the edge of her fragile heart to get more of Byul’s attention and perhaps, infatuation. She would shamelessly flirt with Byul during performances and shows, ignoring a deathly glare from Yongsun or a frustrated yet cute grimace from Wheein. It was her trump card after all.

As if the universe had conspired to cater to any whim Hyejin had listed down – including her non-existent love life – in her discoloured 10-year old diary book, she was more than grateful when Yongsun picked Wheein to team up against her and Byul on their recent live show at C*luv TV, where they had to dance to Troublemaker in one of the sections. When Hyejin had pushed her last brain cells to calculate the probability of Byul looking at her more than as a fatal maknae but more of a drop dead gorgeous grown-up woman whom everyone approved without second considerations, she almost lost her sanity within a span of seconds just by thinking of it. Pathetic, she sighed. She had therefore decided to go with the flow of Troublemaker’s rhythm and resign herself to whatever fate God had in store for her.

Hyejin inhaled excessively and closed her eyes. When the song started, she instinctively put her right hand behind Byul’s head, entangling her fingers into Byul’s soft hair in the process, and brought the taller girl closer to her. Byul eagerly responded by wrapping her arms around Hyejin’s waist. Their foreheads touched, and Hyejin could feel Byul’s hot breath in her lips, and vice versa. From the way their bodies naturally melded and swayed in sync, it did not take a genius to know they were too into it that they forgot two pairs of eyes were shooting daggers at them. They belong to no other than Yongsun and Wheein. Hyejin couldn’t help but smile like a lovesick fool. She had been playing this scenario at least once a week in her alternate universes she created, so she could hardly believe it finally happened for real. She cherished each passing second and savoured it as much as possible, inhaling Byul’s fruity scent and letting Byul’s gentle hands imprint in her memory. Hyejin’s heart beat erratically although she was not sure if Byul’s was the same.

When they let go of each other after 30 seconds which seemed like an eon for both Yongsun and Wheein, Hyejin promised herself that the night was not yet over. She would pick up what had been left off between her and Byul and proceed further. She wanted to capture Byul’s lips so desperately, however she restrained her desire since they were on air.

“Byul unnie, do you mind if I stay overnight at your place?” Hyejin casually asked on their way home.

Byul raised her brows in surprise. It might not be the first time Hyejin had requested such thing, but it just didn’t feel right at the moment. Especially after what happened earlier.

“What?” Yongsun and Wheein said in unison. They were shocked as well.

“Umm, I planned to sleep at Yongsun unnie’s place, but as you suggest, we can stay at mine.”

“Why do you have to sleep at Byul’s place, Hyejinnie?” Yongsun asked. She tried her best to sound nonchalant, but there was the tiniest beat of annoyance and jealousy in her tone.

“I need to run some errands.” Hyejin played it cool.

“What is it exactly?” Yongsun didn’t back off easily.

“Why are you sticking your nose into my business, Unnie?”

They had staring contest. Before anyone would jump and scratch their long nails and bite each other, Byul whispered, “Let’s all go to my place.” Unbeknownst to Byul, that didn’t simply end the battle which was about to begin.

Arriving at Byul’s place, Hyejin settled herself comfortably on the couch, dragging Byul to sit with her while the other members sat on the carpeted floor. Byul was slightly uncomfortable by Hyejin’s sudden affection, so she wriggled and freed herself from the youngest girl’s grip.

Sensing a heavily dark atmosphere hanging in the air, Byul finally spoke and spilled out the lamest idea she could come up with as a mean to break the overly stretched tension they were in. “Shall we play a game?”

“Let’s play truth or dare.” Hyejin replied. She had been itching to dare Yongsun and Wheein to get out of Byul’s house as soon as possible.

“No. How about truth or truth?” Yongsun crossed her arms. She knew Hyejin must have been plotting some dirty tricks to kick her out, so she had to modify the game and not gave in the way.

“Sounds fun.” Byul really thought it would be fun. She was undoubtedly a far too innocent hamster to survive in an all-out fight to the deadliest threats of the Amazon, which were in the forms of a hungry lion and a wild bunny, and not to forget a lost puppy.

Byul was the first to spin the bottle. It stopped at Hyejin.

Before anyone could open their mouths, Yongsun was quick to ask her an unanswered question from earlier. “What kinds of errands are you about to run here?” Hyejin was not surprised to be attacked.

“I need to continue where Byul unnie and I have left off.”

“What do you mean?” It was not like Yongsun wasn’t aware of Hyejin’s intention. The jealous girl just wanted to check if Hyejin was honestly talking about their earlier intimate dance or not. She didn’t want to further imagine the continuation of the event since it was too much to handle for her already scattered heart.

“Yongsun unnie, that would be two questions. You cannot proceed.”

“Are you picking sides, Wheein?”

“That’s the game rule.”

“Then, we have to change the rule.”

“There’s no need to that. Come on, Hyejin. It’s your turn.” Byul interrupted.

Yongsun frowned while Hyejin smirked. She then carefully twirled the bottle. She was aiming for Yongsun and succeeded.

“Yongsun unnie, why were you making such a fuss when I said I wanted to stay here tonight? It is not like Byul unnie is yours.”

Yongsun lost it. She hated to admit, but she had lost the battle without defence. She gulped hard, not knowing what to answer. She swept through the room. Anyone, especially Byul, was waiting for her reply. Hyejin’s witty remarks had sent her to the edge of a cliff. It ticked her off. She could not simply answer that she loved Byul more than a best friend should do, right? Right? She would not just let her dignity toss around to the ground and buried deep in it, right?

“I-”

Yongsun opened only to close it again. She analysed fast. The hell with dignity and pride. Losing Byul to Hyejin, or anyone in particular, was the last thing she had in her agenda. She might be the oldest among them and should be the wisest, but she wanted to be selfish for once.

“She is not, but I’ll make her mine.”

A loud gasp was heard echoing in the room. Byul had her jaw open she had to pick it up from the ground, her eyes dilated in anticipation. Hyejin, who thought she had won the battle, had to cover in disbelief of Yongsun’s bold reply. Wheein held up her right foot high in surprise, well she had been doing that since only God knew when. In the meanwhile, Haengwoonie had his ears perked up and eyes getting rounder, err, probably hungry and had nothing to do with the current situation.

No one made a move. Even Haengwoonie had stopped wagging his tail.

“How, Unnie?” Hyejin had gained back her composure. She knew all along that Yongsun had always loved Byul. She could see it from the way Yongsun looked at Byul: Yongsun’s eyes contained a big bowl of warm longing and a spoon of being fed up of Byul’s greasiness, complemented with a shot of mixed emotions. Once again, gross. However, Hyejin understood her unnie too well. Yongsun was a tsundere after all, it was no way under any circumstances she would convey her love to Byul. That was why Hyejin never saw Yongsun as her rival in the go-get-Byul competition.

“By this.”

Yongsun jumped to Byul, making the dark-haired girl lying down beneath her. Another ear-piercing gasp was heard. It was Wheein’s, since Hyejin got all choked up. Yongsun her lips, her eyes darted up and down as if Byul was a prey she had been eyeing for a grandiose dinner. Beads of sweats were formed in Byul’s forehead, she was trembling and amusingly terrified. Yongsun was about to march up and kiss Byul – or rather, eat her out or strangle her, who knows? – when suddenly Wheein hugged her back, preventing the leader to do so.

“Hyejinie, save Byul unnie!” Hyejin was aware by the tone Wheein used. It was a command. So, Hyejin took both Byul’s arms and lifted her a few metres away from a frantic Yongsun.

Yongsun desperately tried to wriggle out of Wheein’s apparently strong hands. She tried several times, but tiredness was way faster to creep into her limbs. Heavy panting of the four girls had now been subsided and replaced by a thin silence.

“Hyejinie, Yongsun unnie, actually the reason of my being here is because I have an announcement.” At last, Wheein spoke. She stood up from her place and gestured Byul to join her. Byul had no energy left but complied nonetheless.

“What are you up to, Wheeinie?” Byul mumbled, loud enough for Wheein to catch. Instead of giving a proper response, Wheein went on with her speech.

“Actually, Byul unnie and I are dating.”

“What!?” The other three girls screamed their lungs out. Byul was confused, she thought Wheein was high on something. The other two girls were as confused and bewildered, they looked at Byul, then back at Wheein, and so forth, hoping to find the truth in between.

“Since now.” Wheein finished her sentence firmly.

“Let’s go for a midnight date, Byul unnie. Instead of Yongsun unnie and Hyejin, you can have me all by yourself.” Wheein showed off her irresistibly cute dimples. She stretched her arms open and was about to capture Byul, but the rapper managed to dodge off.

Realizing that they aimed for the same prize, Yongsun and Hyejin had raised their butts off the floor, joining Wheein in a line. They looked like they were ready to launch themselves towards Byul anytime soon and would fight until their last drop of blood.

Unable to suppress the surfacing headache upon assessing the whole non-sense ordeal, Byul ran weakly to her bedroom and banged the door. She leaned against it to catch her breath.

“GO HOME, YOU ERTS!”

The last thing Byul heard was a high-pitched, deafening guffaw from the other side. Her members were definitely insane!

 


Author's Note: I have been expecting an M-rated chapter from myself, however this is the best I could give right now lol. Probably work on it later. Till next time!