Domino

The Bachelorette

It requires a lot of bravery to mess with Jung Wheein. But you actually have to be somewhat crazy to believe that you could play with her as you please. Hyejin was supposed to know her well enough to be aware of her own limits of teasing her, yet it wasn’t enough to predict how her best friend would react in the moment she faked a kiss with that tipsy stranger.

Maybe if Wheein had stayed for a second longer, Hyejin would have been able to get enlightened by her very define expression, which wasn’t the friendliest one to put it nicely.

Bewildered and a little bit disappointed she realized that Wheein was nowhere to be seen after she pulled her head away, her companion now giggling like a child.

“What’s wrong?” She asked but Hyejin didn’t really pay attention to her. She tried in vain to spot her best friend.

“Come on, let’s have some fun!”

Now she was really getting on her nerves. With a clearly annoyed face Hyejin jumped up wordlessly and left the confused woman alone. It was her first instinct to once more look for her best friend but the few wobbly steps she took confirmed her that it wouldn’t be the best idea in this state. Unsatisfied but resigning she decided to call it a night.

Fortunately the production team gave each candidate her own private room, a welcome contrast to all the events she had gone through today. With some difficulties she managed to change into some more comfortable clothes and thanks to the effects from the alcohol she drank, Hyejin fell asleep as soon as her head hit the pillow.

Wheein on the other hand struggled to keep her mind sane and her eyes closed. She refused asking herself the same questions over and over again but that didn’t stop her stomach from making it impossible to have some rest. It was all Hyejin’s fault.

The next morning didn’t change Wheein’s overall bad mood, which was predictable since she wasn’t able to sleep properly. It got worse the moment she entered the big lounge where everyone already gathered together, apparently waiting for her. Hyejin’s absence was the first thing she noticed but without any warning a familiar voice distracted her.

“Good morning, ladies!”

Oh, it’s him again?

Wheein already felt annoyed by it. She dared to sit at the edge of one of the white sofas and somehow tried to politely ignore those curious eyes while showing fake interest in whatever this person behind the speakers had to say.

“Your excitement clearly shows that you’re enjoying this show so far! Therefore, I want to make it short. We have added a few rules that you have to follow in order to win the grand prize.”

Immediately everyone started to break out in discussions, even some complains were heard but Wheein remained silent, even though it surprised her as well. This definitely went against the plan.

“The pleasure of being part of the show comes with some requirements all of you must fulfill. The Bachelorette, however, is excluded from the following additional rules.”

Everyone looked at Wheein with very mixed emotions, perfectly displayed on their unreadable faces. Sure, those rules existed for logical reasons and it wasn’t Wheein’s idea either but for some reason she felt guilty and responsible for anything that would happen.

“Now, about the rules…”

Wheein held her breath in sheer fear.

“In order to prevent manipulations, you’re obligated to wear a small microphone whenever you leave your private room. You’re not allowed to invite or visit someone else’s room. Your privilege of privacy can be withdrawn permanently in case of repeated violation of rules. Most importantly, any kind of intimate contact between the candidates is forbidden. Therefore, anything beyond hugging won’t be allowed and violating this rule can lead to an immediate disqualification.”

Gradually, it became clear; this was worse than she had imagined.

“That’s impossible!” Someone yelled while audible noises of agreement and anger were echoing through the room. It suffocated Wheein. Neither the producers nor anyone else told her about possible changes during the show. She didn’t prepare herself for such a situation.

Paralyzed with terror, her wide open eyes blankly stared at wild gesturing women who started yelling in anger and frustration, some of them even pointed at her, other’s eyed her critically. What a great start it was.

Her disability to speak her mind angered her the most. More than anything else she wanted to make clear that it wasn`t her idea to make such ridiculous rules but Wheein knew well enough that it would cause her lots of troubles if she disputed the show`s rules and decisions.

In the heat of the moment Wheein almost failed to notice a light pressure on her shoulder and when she looked up, her eyes were met with Hyejin’s for a brief second.

“I got this” She whispered so quietly that Wheein barely was able to register it.

And then everything happened very quickly. Hyejin made her way to the big glass table and only when both her feet stood stable on the slippery surface, she caught the other’s attention and pretty soon the hall was stock-still. Before she opened , Hyejin once more looked at Wheein.

“Great, that’s way better. Y’all, why are you being so noisy? Did you really believe they would allow you to do what you want? Oh please, this is a public TV show, so of course they have to make it appropriate and viewable. Aren’t you aware of our circumstances? Don’t you realize that a lot of people are protesting against this show because they don’t support people like us? Instead of complaining against some rules, we should show a better side of ourselves, right?”

The suffocating silence that followed shortly after was enough evidence for Hyejin that her words had sunk in their heads. Perhaps it was also thanks to her fairly confident appearance and the slightly too dramatic performance that their mouths were shut for good. Satisfied with herself she climbed off the table and proudly watched the women leaving the area one after another.

Hyejin has always been good at such things. Taking control of a situation and being able to reflect on the important matters. That’s why she became a more than well-paid manager of a big music entertainment. Despite of her young age, the employees had great respect for her and even the company could always rely on her ideas and advices. Even though her outward appearance was intimidating to most people, she usually managed to melt everyone’s heart by her kind and wise words.

Through the years she hadn’t changed one bit, Wheein thought while a small smile crept up her face.

“Wow. I don’t know what to say except thank you. I wasn’t able to do anything.”

“It wasn’t hard for me to sense that.”

For a brief moment both forgot the awkwardness between them from the last day. Only when Hyejin returned Wheein’s smile, the realization of their situation hit both so sudden that all they could do was to turn their embarrassed faces away from each other with a hasty movement.

It was just in time because shortly afterwards two curious women with a great interest in Hyejin approached them, totally unbothered by Wheein’s presence. While she dealt with them and their fascination about her speech from earlier, Wheein was able to leave her best friend unnoticed.

Without really noticing it she hurried with quick steps to her room, her heart beating annoyingly loud the whole way.

Later that day all women gathered together on the balcony, the whole fuss from earlier was now slowly fading away from their memories as if each one took Hyejin’s words by heart. Only Wheein struggled to feel comfortable with so many people surrounding her, even though not all of them seemed to be interested in her. Some even decided to have a chat with Hyejin what didn’t surprise Wheein at all. She was always an eye-catcher and today was no exception.

Hyejin’s outfit was nothing but casual, yet all eyes wandered in her direction whenever she passed by. Instead of feeling threatened by her effects on the others, Wheein also caught herself looking frequently at her best friend from a safe distance, or at least she thought so. When Hyejin noticed Wheein’s dreamily stares, she chuckled with amusement about her suddenly so weird and different behavior.

At some point she excused herself and under a lot of protest from a few women Hyejin finally managed to get rid of them. Mindlessly she approached Wheein, who currently was in the middle of talking with a tall and light haired woman.

“Wheein, there you are!”

Startled, Wheein turned around and was greeted by a satisfied and to her, very suspicious grin. Visible irritated about the informal approach, the blonde looked back and forth at Wheein and Hyejin until she decided to leave them alone.

“Oh great, you just scared her off. We had a nice chat, you know?”

“Don’t be so dramatic, you’ll get plenty of other opportunities to talk with her. Or others.”

The emphasis of Hyejin’s last sentence didn’t go unnoticed by Wheein and for a brief second she thought that her best friend perhaps was acting jealous. Admittedly, it sounded too ridiculous to be true so she shook off that thought immediately. After taking a few breaths she decided to simply go along with whatever her best friend wanted from her.

“Just tell me what you want.”

“I want to talk with you.”

“So? Here I am, talk with me.”

Wheein begun to feel annoyed and she didn’t hesitate to show it. With folded arms and an averted gaze she anticipated another silly remark or question but instead Hyejin remained silent. That was until Wheein became inpatient and looked up at her again, ready to bomb her with complains about wasting her precious time, when Hyejin just grabbed her left wrist in one swift motion and started to walk away quickly.

Without really being able to adapt to this situation Wheein let herself getting carried away. She noticed that Hyejin tried to avoid the more public areas, probably because of the cameras and some curious eyes. Soon enough she found herself in Hyejin’s room and rather than being confused or angry, she was actually curious, but of course she remained aloof and waited for her best friend to say something first.

Hyejin on the other hand didn’t turn away after closing the door. As if she was being paralyzed, no word left and her body seemed to be frozen. Wheein had enough of staring at her back for what felt like minutes.

“If you have something to say do it now or let me go. I have enough of your stupid games.”

Triggered by Wheein’s words, Hyejin finally turned around. Anger and pain burned in her eyes, a view Wheein never had seen before. She flinched when her best friend approached her with slow steps.

“A game? Funny, how everything has to be a ing game to you. Now it makes perfect sense why you applied to this show. But listen, Wheein, unlike you I didn’t come here to play around.”

The deadly serious expression in her eyes scared Wheein. When she tried to back off, her thighs hit the bed frame and in the next moment she lost her balance and plopped on Hyejin’s bed backwards.

“What has gotten into you lately?!” Desperately Wheein tried to knock some sense into her best friend but Hyejin simply ignored her. She closed the last bit of distance, hovering over Wheein whose arms barely were able to support her weight any longer.

“Do you really want to know? Because I highly doubt that you’re ready for the truth.”

It was hard for Wheein to see anything thanks to Hyejin who blocked her visions almost completely. Their faces were so awkwardly close that it was hard for Wheein to keep calm but neither of them looked or moved away. Like challenging each other they kept staring straight at the other’s eyes.

“Stop treating me like a child.” Wheein’s demanding and low voice caused Hyejin to make an angry, disapproving sound.

Wide open eyes looked at Hyejin when both her hands suddenly grabbed at Wheein’s wrists to keep her in place. The urge to fight against Hyejin’s grip was very apparent until Hyejin spoke her next words.

“Maybe you’re right. But maybe you’ll never be ready for the truth. Who knows?”

“I’ll show you then.” She declared and before Hyejin was able to respond, Wheein jumped up and freed herself with all her strengths while she pushed her best friend down. Adrenaline rushed through her veins when she saw Hyejin lying under her, unable to move, just like she herself a few seconds ago. Serves her right, she thought to herself.

After all, it was Hyejin who made everything so complicated. It was Hyejin who confused her emotions so many times. It was and will always be Hyejin who makes her feel so insecure about her own feelings.

Why did it take her so long to realize that? Why now?

Equally confused, angry and hurt, Wheein ignored all of her rational thoughts and sanity when she lowered her head uninhibited to capture Hyejin’s lips in a sudden but soft kiss.

As if time was standing still at that moment, neither of them could tell how long their lips lingered on each other’s. For the moment it felt like eternity but afterwards, it didn’t felt real at all, as if it just had been a short dream.

Out of breath and with a totally blank mind, Wheein soon had to slightly pull her head away.

When the warm feeling on her lips disappeared, realization hit her immediately. Being so caught off guard by her own actions, she covered her lips with a hand and stared at her best friend under her in shock.