"Blaming Game"

ALTERED

 

[Jinyoung]

 

 "How did you know this was going to happen?"

 

Mark's question had me stuttering with my words in a poor attempt to give a comprehensible answer. I just dragged him to see the corpse of a guy we don't even know personally, even I don't. All I know is he's Su Won, the soccer team's ace player. He's a year older than both of us and not even once did I or Mark ever talked to him, or even crossed paths with him. 

Not until now. And seeing him bathed in his own pool of blood is the worst way to have that happening. 

My hands might've been shaking the whole time, as we both stood there, watching the university's security and some police from Yangcheon station as they carried the lifeless body of Su Won. If not for Mark, making me sit down on one of the benches nearby, I might've fell on the ground, after passing out cold.

 

 

"Are you guys telling me that you're actually buying this?" 

The way Jaebum's voice thundered is enough to tell me that he doesn't like the things Mark and I are saying.

 

The seven of us agreed to meet on our usual spot, the coffee shop right across the university. We told them what happened with Jackson and Bambam sufficing some of the details. But what Mark said after turned Jaebum's mood even a shade darker. Now, I could see him balling his hands into a hard fist. His lips have turned into a thin line, and his brows are knitted, forming a crease on his forehead. 

"Premonition?" He repeated what Mark said a while ago. "You're saying Jinyoung can see things which didn't happen yet? Or things which are just about to happen?" Jaebum even scoffed like he just heard the most absurd lie of all time. "What the actual are you saying and expectingus to believe in?"

Mark gave out a sigh before he turned to Jaebum. "Something which I also had  a hard time believing in, Jaebum." 

Well, it's true. When I told Mark that I have dreamt of what happened a while ago, I saw it in his eyes how he finds my words incredulous and nearly impossible. It's like i am crafting some kind of a mystery novel, only... I am not. It's a good thing Mark didn't laugh at me, or even walked out on me. He just listened, like he always does, without judging me. 

And it actually surprised me that Mark did believe what I said. To be honest, if I were in his position, i wouldn't have believed it myself. But Mark did. And I can't thank him enough for that.

 

"But I can see that you are whole heartedly trusting it now." Jaebum said as he threw a side glance at Mark's hand which is gently squeezing mine.

"Because it's not just anyone else." Mark's eyes are now meeting mine. And I somehow felt safe, and ... fine. "It's Jinyoung. And I do believe him."

 

"But I have to agree with Jaebum..." Jackson's words made us look at him. "It does appear so mysterious to me and... I don't know if that's even possible. As much as I would want to believe you, Jinyoung, well I am just not sure about it."

The rest of the younger ones also agreed to it. And I understand them. Like I said, I also can't believe that any of these are happening. But it did. I did saw things before they actually happened. 

"I understand that this sounds all too silly."

"Yes it does." Jaebum said, interrupting me, but I continued.

"But i am telling you all these because I want you guys to trust me. Maybe it's a bit hard but, I just don't want anything bad happen to you guys. If ever I see another premonition again, can you all please trust me?" I asked them while looking at them intently. "With everything that's been happening around here, I just want to do my best to keep you guys safe." My eyes lingered on Jaebum's which has nothing else but indifference. "I cannot take it if something bad happens to you."

 

**********

 

[Jinyoung]

 

I don't know exactly, why am I here, standing outside of their porch. 

 

If this was years ago, this would've been normal. Since, it's been a habit that I wait for him outside their house, fetching him before going to school during weekdays, and to the central park during weekends. 

 

But I cannot deny the obvious fact that now is different. If years ago, he'll be glad to see me, and even excited... well now, I doubt that he'll ever be. He'l probably shout at me. If I'm a bit lucky, then maybe he'll just ignore me.

 

I looked at my watch. It's past 8 am already, should I go now? i might be late for class if I still stand like a rock here, waiting for someone who i am dead sure will just curse at me once he sees me.

I was about to start walking when I heard some indistinct shouts and soon enough, the front door opened, and out came Jaebum walking, more like running. He probably didn't see me so i decided to call him but before I got the chance to, someone else already did that.

 

"Hey you worthless punk!" 

I saw his dad, holding a bottle of beer, as he followed after Jaebum. I also saw how he gripped on Jaebum's shoulder making him turn towards him all too harshly. "Don't you walk out on me, I say!" the beer spilled at his wobbly movement.

Jaebum looked down as he removed his dad's hand on his shoulder. "I need to go to school."

"I am still talking to you! When I talk, you ing listen!" 

I almost jumped when I saw how his father's hand landed on his face, slapping him hard that the sound almost hurt my ears. "Where are your manners? Is this what you're learning in school? You good for nothing ?!" 

This is too much for me to see. What is happening? Why is this happening?

"You're just like your of a mother!" 

 

I saw how Jaebum clenched his fists tightly that it's turning white. "I need to leave, dad." That's all he said. That is all he said? After every hurtful words his dad has  said?

Without waiting for a response, Jaebum quickly turned to leave but when he did, our eyes crossed and I saw how shock and embarrassment registered on his face. Then comes the hatred. Without saying anything, he just walked past me, hitting my shoulders in the process.

 

"Hyung!" I called out to him while trying to catch on him. But he's really stubborn, and I don't know why I am still surprised with that fact. Now, running, I manage to get a hold of his arm. "Jaebum!" Now that, made him stop. 

"Let go of my arm, Jinyoung." This is one of the things I don't like about him. Aside from being stubborn, he has this habit of scaring people away by his cold attitude. But I know better so instead of letting go, I gripped on tighter.

"I am not going to ask you if you're okay because I can perfectly see that you are not." I exhaled. "But why didn't you tell me that these horrible things are happening? How long has your father been doing this to you?"

But he's not one to answer. "Let. go."

I can't believe he's this difficult. "You could've said something, Jaebum. What I saw earlier is not acceptable! He cannot do that to you so why didn't you-" But then I felt a sudden push almost making me tumble on my feet.

"I said let go of me, Jinyoung!" His eyes were full of anger that I can't even take looking at. This Jaebum is so much different from the Jaebum I knew back then. What heppened to him? Who destroyed him?

"Jaebum, I-"

"You don't have a say on what ing happens in my ing life, Jinyoung. You left, remember? You left right when I needed someone. Right when I needed my bestfriend. You were nowhere to be found. You left and you cut me off from your life like I am some irrelevant that you long hoped to get rid of!" 

My hands grew cold as I tried to reach his. But he restrained and that made my heart sink. "Jaebum, it's not-"

"I needed you years ago. When my mom died and my life started falling apart, getting even more destroyed than it actually was." His eyes remained darted on mine but I can't see any emotion aside from hate and anger. "Coming back, and pretending that things are still going to be the same as it was is stupid, Jinyoung. I don't need you. So it'll be better if you just disappear in my life again, just as how you did, five years ago."

 

And as he left, all I could do is stand there, and accept what he has said. Because it's all true. I did leave him.

 

************

 

[Jackson]

 

"You have to listen to me, Jackson. You're in danger. The person who's doing all these, I don't know him but he is after you. Please, just please listen."

 

I don't know if I should believe Jinyoung but seeing his worried face kinda throws me into believing him and his incredulous words. Premonition? Is that even real?

Here we are in the field, all seven of us decided to meet after Jinyoung texted all of us saying he's got an important thing to say. And now, he's saying I should be watchful because this killer is after me? Like, what the did I do wrong? I may have been a little annoying, to some people around me but, is that enough reason to kill me? Oh good God.

 

"Jinyoung hyung, are you sure of what you're saying?" Yugyeom asked Jinyoung who is still wearing an anxious face. I pity the guy. What is going on with him, really?

But Jinyoung just remained looking at me. "Jackson, I am well aware of how stupid I sound right now, but trust me. I saw it. That guy will harm you and-"

"Can you shut the up, Jinyoung?!" 

I, too, almost jumped when Jaebum suddenly yelled. Now, he's standing, toweringover Jinyoung who has his eyes widened. 

"I don't get your s, Jinyoung. You're going too far, scaring them away! Why'd you have to do these things huh? What the is your problem?"

"Back off, Jaebum!" Mark was quick enough to push Jaebum away from Jinyoung. I should've expected this drama. Even back in the U.S., Mark is really protective over Jinyoung. If Jaebum continues acting like towards Jinyoung, he's surely getting something from Mark. "Leave Jinyoung alone, he is just concerned about Jackson. Aren't you?"

"Hey guys, can we please chill?" Now it's Bambam.

"Do I have to call the cops?" Yugyeom joined in. "Or, Jinyoung hyung's dad, in that case." I could only roll my eyes at them. I'm the one in probable danger here, and they're stealing all the lines.

 

Now, Youngjae is standing between Mark and Jaebum. "Hyungs, this needs to stop." He looked at those two who are still huffing in anger. Gosh, it is almost frightening if I don't know them both. "Let's talk about this like the adults, we are, okay?" When he looked at me, I just nodded. Finally, my chance to talk.

"Okay, Jinyoung. Although I still ain't buying this premonition thing you're saying, since it's my life at risk, okay, I guess I need to be careful. Okay, I will take your word for it and be watchful for any suspicious thing or person." I sighed before staring at Jinyoung. "Will that be okay?"

I felt him reach for my hand and squeeze it gently. "Please be safe."

 

 

Needless to say, I am still doubtful of what Jinyoung is saying. But, there'll be no harm on being cautious. As what Jinyoung instructed me through text, I locked the doors and even secured the windows. Goodness, I feel like I'm some character in this horror movie. This is all Bambam's fault. I shouldn't have watched Scream with him and Yugyeom last weekend.

 

It's never an easy thing to stand in front of you

It's like a thriller movie

Everything will be fine

But one thing goes wrong and it all starts from there

 

I decided to put on some music while preparing my dinner. I just bought snack in a box in 7 - 11, a while ago before heading to my apartment. I just need to reheat it in the microwave and I'm good to go.

I was waiting for the microwave to finish it's job when I felt a cold brush of air in my nape. Where's the wind coming from? I looked around only to see that I had left one window open. Tsss. I think I should stop sleeping late, it might damage my memory. After closing it, I walked back to the kitchen counter and waited for my dinner.

After five minutes, it's done. My stomach growled, signalling that I am indeed starving. I sat on the couch and turned the television on to watch some UFC action, my fave. If only Mark isn't on his overprotective mode on, over Jinyoung, maybe he did go with me and we're watching this together. He's just like me, thrilled with violence and stuffs like this. Well, it is exciting to watch.

I received another text message from Jinyoung asking if I'm already home so I replied with an okay sign and a heart emoji. Times like this, are rare. Jinyoung rarely shows his concern and care towards me, so I might as well enjoy it.

When I put the phone down, the television suddenlt turned off. What the hell? Reaching fot the remote, I turned it on again. I was enjoying the show while eating when it turned off again. Pressing on the on button again, I continued eating. But for the third time, it went off again. this time, it can't be using the remote. Now, is this thing broken again? Man, I will really call a new repairman next time.

Grunting, I walked towards the tv and tried to make the thing work again. After a few hits, it did turn on. But as I was about to head back to the couch, it turned off again. I sighed exasperatedly and kneeled in front of the television, when my eyes caught something.

 

Right behind me... there's... this black thing, it's towering over me and just when I figured out that it's not an it but an actual person, I saw as it swing on his arm about to hit me with something he's holding.

Thank God, I was quick enough to move away from him, lying on my back, I saw him who is wearing some kind of mask, and a long black cloth covering his whole body and arms. 

"!" Another swing almost had him hit me with that bat he's holding. Turning on my side, I rolled and was able to kick him in his stomach. I heard his low grunt as he bent down. I took my chance and stood right up before grabbing on his neck putting him in choke hold, I punched his stomach once again before running towards the door and onto the streets.

 

Gasping for air, I looked back to my apartment's open door. The guy still ain't running outside so I just decided to flee and go to the police station. was all that is running in my head.

 

Jinyoung is right about what he said. 

 

•≈•≈•≈•≈•≈•≈•≈•≈•≈•≈•≈•

 

Annyeong?!!!

 

Gosh. It's been more than a month since my last update here. I am so sorry for being lazy. 

 

I don't have much more to say, but I hope this chapter made sense. We're nearing towards the end, I think. Please leave a comment! Thank you for reading this! :)

 

 

<3 nicapark