i see or saw you

Let's bloom at night's end

This was not how Haseul had seen her weekend going. Her week has been a busy one, with work and everything else going on for her. Since she graduated, she had always buried herself deep in work. Thus, she wants her weekends to be calm and tranquil as much as possible. There was too much stress in her life during weekdays, after all.

But here she was, in front of their crying maknae looking very much like a frog with her face scrunched up and red. Even back then, Haseul has been the “leader” of their circle of friends and even though she wants to laugh at Yeojin, she can’t help but feel a twinge of sympathy for her.

“I’m trying not to cry,” Yeojin gasps.

“You’re already crying,” Haseul points out, tearing up and fanning herself.

“Don’t cry, don’t cry,” she chants internally but ends up crying as well. “Ah, we shouldn’t cry here. There are so many people.”

“This is a small restaurant, unnie. That’s why it seems like there are a lot of people. We’re nine people sitting in this table right now,” Yeojin sasses back but the sarcastic look on her face leaves as soon as it arrives.

“We should have had this reunion earlier.”

“Didn’t we just go roller skating two weeks ago?” pipes up Vivi in confusion.

Go Won wipes her eyes.

“Crying is contagious, you know. I guess, it’s different because we’re all here together? It feels like coming home.”

Hyunjin pats the blonde-haired girl on the back consolingly.

“Have some bread. It’s delicious, and it will make you feel better.”

“Thank you, unnie.”

The way Hyunjin holds out a piece of bread to a bemused and still teary-eyed Go Won makes Choerry chuckle.

“Oooh, there’s asparagus,” comments Heejin to Kim Lip.

“I was craving for it earlier, and it’s here and delicious.”

“I was craving for meat. Craving satisfied now,” Kim Lip leans forward and gives everyone a conspiratorial smile that has them sitting by the edge of their seats. The girls look at her with wide eyes, curious as to what she had to say. “Do you think... Chuu can read minds as well as cook?”

Disappointed by the comment, the girls groan and turn back to their food. Yeojin throws a piece of asparagus at the amused girl.

“That is so wow,” Jinsoul gasps, obviously in awe. Kim Lip could barely suppress a laugh at her expression.

The chatter quiets down when they hear the chiming of the bell, signalling an arrival. Their eyes dart toward the two figures approaching.

Yeojin lets out a gasp.

“Wait, is that Olivia and Yves together?”

“Awww, they even went here together.”

“After all these years, they’re still so sweet.”

“Of course,” Olivia smirks as they reach the table, having heard all the whispers and comments about them, she presses a chaste kiss to Yves’ cheek. Yves swats her lightly on the arm then waves to everyone with a small smile on her face. “No way I’m letting my girl go.”

“Ahhh, you are so cheesy!” The girls squeal except for one.

Heejin sips her drink quietly, contemplative in contrast to the merry atmosphere.

No one except Olivia notices the small knowing glance Heejin gives her with a tilt of her head.

Olivia’s face becomes stony in response, grin sliding off her face.

“Hi, I’m back with more food!” Chuu chirps, wide smile face hidden by the food on the tray she carried. She expertly maneuvers her way to their table, despite the tight space.

“Um, should we help?” Yves asks, ready to stand up and help.

Chuu sets the food on the table with practiced efficiency but pauses to give Yves a soft smile.

She takes the empty seat between Olivia and Go Won, beaming.

“Now we’re all here,” Heejin begins, raising her glass. “Let’s have a toast to all the good times back in high school. May we make more good memories together!”

Twelve glasses raise up.

“Maybe, you shouldn’t have drunk, Yeojin.”

“I’m an adult.”

“But you’re still our maknae,” Haseul reminds, hugging her.

“Unnie, are you tipsy? Of course, you would be a lightweight.”

“Oooh, the blonde hair looks great on you, Go Won,” remarks Jinsoul.

“Thanks. I felt like a changed woman when I dyed my hair.”

Hyunjin has her phone out, showing a screenshot to everyone who glanced at it.

“I finally have an earring CF! Are you proud of me? I’ve wanted this my whole life, I swear.”

While the others share the events happening in their lives, Choerry smiles fondly at Olivia placing food at Yves’ plate, doting on her every minute.

“It’s so cute how you two are still dating. I wish I had a love like that,” she sighs.

“Awww, remember when you two just started dating?”


 

“I hope it’s not awkward for you,” remarks Yves. The three of them are standing outside their dorm. Yves is fiddling with the hem of her jacket and sweat is trickling down her temple. The two know that it’s not due to the hot afternoon sun, but because their friend is truly nervous.

“Now that I’m going out with…”

She turns her head to Olivia’s direction, looking fond. Olivia is far from earshot and is patiently waiting for the three to finish. Chuu wonders if Olivia has some sort of radar built in her that reacts only to Yves, because the usually unobservant girl looks up at them and gives Yves a small smile.

“Of course not,” Go Won exclaims, breaking the moment.

“I’m so happy for you two.”

“It’s just... It’s my first time to be in a romantic relationship, but friendships are so important to me. I love you girls. I don’t want to let any connections in my life to weaken just because I have a new one,” she explains with a frown.

Chuu is silent for a moment but then hugs Yves.

“As long as you’re happy, I’m happy too. I hope things turn out well,” she says earnestly, looking up at her.

“I hope so, too.”

“Yves.”

The two girls break apart their embrace and look at the raven-haired girl who is now standing near them.

“Yes, Olivia?”

“Do you want to take a walk in the garden?”

“Is it a date?” Yves asks playfully.

“Well, it’ll be the two of us under the sunset walking along the garden while I point out flowers that remind me of you.”

“How can you be so blunt yet so sweet?”

“Isn’t that how you fell for me?”

“Maybe or was it because stoic Olivia Hye was oddly so sweet to me.”

“Hey, I’m nice,” she protests.

“Yes, you are.”

“Go Won and I will just be heading to the dorm then,” Chuu interjects, grabbing Go Won’s hand.

The dark-haired girl looks grateful for the intervention and waves goodbye.

“Enjoy your date.”

No one notices the conflict reflected in Chuu’s wide eyes.


 

Heejin glances at the time on her gold wrist watch.

12:30 p.m.

Olivia is late, but she isn’t surprised. She would be more surprised if Olivia actually shows up at all.

The door of the cafe tinkles. She doesn’t glance up, idly taking a sip of coffee.

“Heejin,” Olivia starts in a curt voice.

She looks up from her cup to peer at Olivia through rose-tinted glasses. Olivia’s pink features are cold, filled with a quiet fury and simmering annoyance.

“Hyejoo,” she acknowledges, “or have I lost the right to call you that, Olivia?”

The raven-haired girl scoffs but doesn’t correct her. Heejin takes it as a positive sign.

“Take a seat.”

Olivia sits, arms folded and glaring at her across the table.

Heejin resists the urge to sigh instead fixes a cordial smile on her face.

“Do you want anything? A drink? A pastry?”

“Nothing. I’m fine.”

The thinly veiled annoyance in those words amuses her slightly.

“If you say so, Hyejoo.”

“Just get to the point. What do you want to talk about? Why did you suddenly want to talk? You didn’t even bother keeping in touch when you were off gallivanting in France.   ”

Heejin idly takes a bite of a pink macaron.

“You already know.”

“Just say it. I’m busy. I could have been doing a million things than rendezvous with you here, you know.”

“Didn’t you miss me? What if I just wanted us, two old friends to catch up?”

Olivia doesn’t even respond at that, continuing to glare.

“Very well then.”

Heejin takes off her sunglasses and looks directly at Olivia’s glaring eyes.

“Let Yves go.”

A dark look crosses Olivia’s face. Her hands clench the delicate lacy table cloth.

“No,” she spits out hatefully, uncaring of the stares and whispers directed at her from the other customers.

“I won’t, and you better leave us alone.”

With one last loathing look, she storms away.

The doors slam shut.

Heejin takes the last sip of her coffee.

It was too bitter. She should have added more sugar or cream.


 

Heejin loves Olivia. She was her best friend since she could remember, and she promised that she would always stay beside Olivia, so they could deal through thick and thin, highs and lows together.

It hurts, though.

It hurts Heejin to see Olivia running herself to the ground, that flame in her eyes burning out. It hurt to see her best friend make half-hearted excuses as to why they couldn’t spend time together, to see Olivia steadily distancing herself from her, to see her interacting people with dubious morals.

She has never felt more helpless in her life than she did seeing her beloved Hyejoo falling.

Heejin hates it, so one afternoon, she shushes her best friend’s protests and drags to her an empty classroom.

“Hyejoo,” she starts tentatively then takes a long look at Olivia’s dull eyes, and it strengthens her resolve.

“We need to talk.”

“Why?”

“You’re hanging with the wrong crowd. Stop it.”

“They’re also my friends,” she replies defensively.

“No, they’re not.”

Heejin says this like a fact because it is. They both knew it.

“You forget, Hyejoo. We’ve been friends for so long. I can see right through you. What you’re doing will ruin you.”

Her eyes soften.

“Please. I don’t want this to happen. I’m here for you. I just want the best for you.”

She notices how Olivia’s hands are clenched into fists to mask their trembling. It’s not from emotion.  She runs her hands through her hair in frustration.

“Hyejoo, please,” she blurts out because Olivia still hasn’t said anything. She can’t even Olivia’s face with her head down and long strands of hair obscuring her expression.

Olivia steps closer to her, and for a second, she thinks they’re going to hug, and everything would be fine.

But then, Olivia is kissing her.

Her eyes widen, and in her shock, she stills and lets her.

Heejin is frozen.

She snaps to her senses quickly then gently pushes the girl away.

“Hyejoo, no…”

Heejin is shaking her head.

“But why not? You said you’re here for me.”

Olivia’s voice is full of bitterness.

She sounds rejected.

“Not like this,” her voice cracks.

“I love you. You’re my best friend. But, I won’t allow you to drag us both down.” She’s looking directly at Olivia’s dark eyes, holding her by the shoulders while internally begging her best friend to see the light.

“So what, you’re going to cut me off?”

Her expression is closed off and despite their proximity, Heejin could feel Olivia withdrawing from her.

“Stop doing this, Hyejoo. Stop lying to yourself. You don’t want this either.”

“How sure are you that you know me, Heejin?”

That comment stings, but it takes Heejin aback. She pauses. Doubts start flashing through her mind. How sure is she? She is standing in front of Olivia, the same girl she had known since she was five. They’ve known each other for so long. Olivia has always been her best friend. People would always comment that they were one and the same, that they were just two halves that make each other whole. But right now, Heejin isn’t so sure anymore. Or is she?

“I just—I just know you.”

“Maybe, not as well as you think.”

“Maybe, you’re right,” she acquiesces, defeated.

They’re at a stalemate.


 

Yves wonders what is taking Olivia so long.

She lets out a sigh, staring out the window but not admiring the view instead lost in thought.

It isn’t the first time this happened either. These past few months Olivia has been having a lot more business meetings. Consequently, she’s often late to their dates or Yves has to outright cancel them and call it off. It’s strange how meeting up and having dates with her love were starting to feel like a tedious chore or task rather than bonding time. She pushes the pasta she has been eating around her plate idly.

“Is it not to your liking?”

A familiar voice speaks up, and Yves is already smiling.

“Hi, Chuu. No, you have the best cooking. Don’t worry.”

“I’m glad.”

There is something about Chuu’s bright smile that instantly makes her feel better when she sees it. She is pleasantly surprised when the other takes a seat across from her.

“Oh, is it your break?”

“Well, no, but I am the owner, so I can, ah, rearrange my schedule to spend time with a friend who only occasionally comes by.”

“You’re as sweet as ever, Chuu,” Yves says, garnering this twinkle in Chuu’s eyes. Yves can’t seem to point out what it is, but it’s present when they’re together like this. She moves closer until she looks past Chuu’s shoulder, and her face breaks out into a bright smile.

“Olivia!”

“Sorry to have kept you waiting, dear,” Olivia apologizes, pressing a chaste kiss to Yves’ cheeks.

“It’s okay. Chuu was here to keep me company.”

“Is that so? Thank you then, Chuu.”

“No problem.”

Chuu struggles to keep the bright smile on her face and to not frown at the woman who is already sitting beside Yves. She can feel disappointment blooming in her chest.

Oh, of course. Yves was just waiting for her lover. She didn’t come here just to visit her.

“I love spending time with Yves, after all. You’re lucky to have her. She’s one of a kind.”

The corners of Olivia’s lips twitch, but she is smiling at Chuu.

It looks strained.

“I know. I’m very lucky.”

She presses a kiss to Yves’ right cheek, and Yves reciprocates.

“Since you’re here to keep her company, I’ll go back to work,” Chuu says, already standing up.

“Enjoy, you two.”

Through the kitchen window, she sees the couple leaning towards each other and laughing to themselves in their own little world and decides to immerse herself in work.

I’m glad they’re happy.

It feels like she is trying to convince herself to believe so. Years have passed, and she's still failing to.


 

“Why do you do this to yourself?” Go Won blurts out.

“Huh?” Chuu looks up from the board game she’s playing with Choerry, Kim Lip, Haseul, and Yeojin.

“I-I wonder about that, too,” Vivi says tentatively.

“What do you mean?” she asks even if she knew exactly what they meant.

It’s Friday which means it was bonding time for all of them since it was the weekend. Olivia and Yves are the only ones who are absent in the room.

She glances at all their faces. Pity, sympathy, sadness. She wishes she couldn’t see those expressions. She wishes they don’t acknowledge it, so she could continue pretending she is okay. Chuu is fine even when while her heart feels like it’s getting more and more fractured each day she can see the love in Yves’ eyes.

Love that isn’t for her.

She can’t bear to look at them anymore. It’s just another reminder of what she doesn’t have, what she can’t have.

Chuu looks down at her game piece.

A silver apple.

“I don’t know.”

But then Yves smiling face comes to mind.

It doesn’t matter if her heart feels like it’s getting pierced by arrows and slowly breaking apart until there is nothing left.

Chuu wishes she could make Yves happy like Olivia does.

She can’t.

No matter how hard she tries. No matter how many times she gives Yves apples when she says she’s hungry because she knew how much she likes them. No matter how many pictures she takes that captures Yves’ breathtaking beauty.

It’s never enough.

She’s never enough.

Chuu sees a lot of things. It may seem like her head is perpetually floating in the clouds. An airhead, her friends fondly call her, but she knows she is observant, borne from her natural curiosity towards her surroundings and wanting to familiarize herself more with the behaviors of others.

She watches at the corner of her eye how Olivia and Yves are giggling quietly together at some inside joke even when the teacher had just reprimanded Yves.

She sees how enraptured Yves looks when she receives a rose from Olivia. There’s nothing particularly special about it. Roses are easily found in the bushes of the school grounds. The flower is practically a bud. It hardly had enough time to blossom into its beauty, but Yves is looking at it like it’s the most precious thing in the world. Because it was Olivia who gave it to her.

Their relationship is not perfect. Sometimes, Olivia shouts at Yves, and Yves may have been taller than both Chuu and Olivia, but she would look so small. Chuu hasn’t been sleeping well, and neither has Yves. She would watch as the other girl would sigh and go the bathroom early in the morning when she realizes that Olivia was already out and about when she should be deeply asleep. She notices how Olivia would give lame excuses at random phone calls, and Yves would frown but brush it off anyway.

It’s not perfect, but they’re still happy. They’re happy with each other.

Contradicting feelings war in heart.

She is falling in love with Yves, and Olivia is someone she loves as a friend. They’re happy together, and part of her is happy for them. Why wouldn't she be happy? Yves is not obligated to return the feelings of puppy love her best friend was sporting towards her. It isn’t Yves’ fault that flowers are blooming in the fertile ground of Chuu’s hearts while her own love for Olivia is blooming and flourishing more and more. She knows there’s no chance for Yves to just fall in love with her no matter what she did. She’s accepted this, drilled this fact into her brain. She just wants them to be happy, and they are. So why does her heart feel as if it’s getting chipped into pieces more and more each day?


 

“You and Olivia should break up.”

“What?” Yves gasps.

Heejin had stated it like it was a solid fact. It’s as if what she’s saying is reasonable when it was the exact opposite.

The two are alone inside the classroom, cleaning up after everyone had left. Yves drops the mop and stares at the somber expression on her friend’s face.

“What are you saying. Heejin?”

“You should let her go. What you and Olivia have… it’s not healthy,” Heejin continues, pretending to be undeterred by the way Yves is staring at her.

is set in a frown, and she looks troubled.

Yves’ anger is sparked, however.

“Who are you to meddle in our relationship?”

Heejin meets her glare dead-on and gives her a serious look.

“Trust me. I know her better than you do.”

Yves lets out a scoff at this.

“Oh please, we’ve been together since first year. I know Olivia.”

The serious look on Heejin’s eyes doesn’t waver.

“And I’ve been with her before you even met her.”


 

 “Who does Heejin think she is? God?”

Vivi is nodding, letting Yves rant out her frustration.

“Heejin won’t just say things like that without a solid reason,” Haseul speaks up tentatively.

Yves immediately glares at her, and Haseul raises her hands up in surrender. “I’m not taking her side. I’m just saying she has a reason behind all of this.”

“Do you want to go roller skating? Take your mind off things?” Vivi suggests, grabbing Yves’ hand.

“I’m up for it,” Yves sighs, “sorry, guys. What Heejin said just really got to me.”

“It’s okay.”

“Well, then let’s go,” Yeojin perks up, grabbing her bag and already rushing out.

“Yeojin, wait!” Haseul calls and rushes out of the door. Her green bag is left in the room.

“I’ll grab unnie’s bag.”


 

“How do Vivi and Yves do it? I’m exhausted,” exclaims Haseul.

“Same.”

“I’m exhausted, and they’re staying behind to continue.”

Their chatter falters and stops abruptly.

“Wait, is that Olivia?”

“It is. Aren’t those people known for dealing drugs at campus?” Hyunjin whispers.

“You’re right,” Kim Lip remarks, looking pale.

“Then why is Olivia with them?” Jinsoul asks hushed, brows furrowed in confusion. Realization crosses her face when sees their grim expressions and winces.

They remain quiet, waiting and breaths held. It could have been forever when Olivia’s companions finally leave.

“Olivia,” Haseul calls out as soon as they’re out of earshot.

The black-haired girl startles at that and turns towards them. She freezes when she catches sight of them. She fixes a very forced grin on her face. It doesn’t fool anyone.

“Unnie...What are you all doing here?”

“It’s better if we asked you that.”

“I…”

Her hesitance only confirms their suspicions.

“Olivia why?” Go Won asks, looking close to tears.

“Why do you have to turn to that ?”

Olivia shakes her head.

“You don’t understand.”

“I think we understand perfectly well.”

“Actually, I think we know too much now.”

“Olivia, we have to tell Yves…”

“NO!”

The outburst startles them. Olivia who had been looking down at her feet suddenly faces them, crazed desperation on her features.

“You can’t. You can’t!”

“She deserves to know.”

“I know, but…”

Tears start to fall out of dark eyes and stream down her pale face.

“Please, you can’t. Don’t take Yves away from. She is the only one who keeps me grounded. She,” her voice starts cracking.

“She is the only thing keeping me off the edge.”


 

The sun has already risen, but it doesn’t help them shed light on what course of action to take.

Breakfast is a hushed and tense affair. They huddle among themselves on the table, faces grim and voices hushed.

“We have to tell Yves unnie the truth,” Choerry says firmly. Her back is hunched with resignation.

“She deserves to know and decide for herself.”

“That’s true…”

“Why must things be so complicated?”

It was a lose-lose situation.

“Good morning,” Yves calls out to their table. Her hands are twined with Olivia. Chuu and Go Won are trailing behind them slightly, waving and offering their own greetings.

They turn their heads and give her uneasy smiles.

“Did something happen?” she asks tentatively.

No one speaks. Olivia is pointedly not looking at them, only glancing down at her shoes or at Yves.

“Well, it may not be a good morning for some of us, but there’s good food here,” Go Won states in an awkward attempt to break the tension. It doesn’t dissipate, so she opts to ignore this and take a seat.

Hyunjin keeps opening to speak then closing it again, gathering courage to tell Yves.

But then Olivia pulls up the chair for Yves.

“Hyejoo, you’re so sweet. I could have done it myself.”

“What can I say? I like spoiling you. It’s what you deserve.”

Yves giggles, giving her a brief kiss in the cheek. Olivia smiles at the gesture and grabs an apple from the table.

“Here,” she offers her girlfriend.

Yves smiles at her mischievously, looking up coyly and takes a bite.

“They’re so happy together,” Jinsoul whispers to Kim Lip.

“They are.”

“Hyunjin, did you want to say something earlier, by the way?” Yves questions. Half of the apple had been eaten, and it’s still held in Olivia’s hands.

“Uh nothing, unnie,” Hyunjin rushes out, curling in on herself and fixing her stare on her plate.

No one wants to ruin their happiness , so they keep silent.

Olivia and Yves are the first ones to rise from the table, intending to go on a romantic morning stroll. When the couple is out of sight, the whispers start again, and sighs resound.

“This is all so messed up.”

“Everything will fall into place,” Heejin says calmly, speaking for the first time since they had huddled together. She stirs milk into her coffee. A small grin takes its place on her face slowly as she watches how the white milk perfectly mix in with the black coffee, creating a satisfying shade of brown. It’s exactly how she likes it.

“Just wait."


 

It’s snowing hard one night but a flurry of red and white is seen rushing towards the park. Chuu trudges her way through the heavy snow and huffs, hoping to catch her breath. She had just gotten out of school and ran to the park as soon as she saw the ten missed calls on her phone left by Yves. She knew that in this freezing night, Yves would be in the cafe, drinking her favorite cup of hot chocolate.

True enough, Yves is sitting by the window but obviously not enjoying herself. She is slouching as she is covering her face with her hands. Chuu’s heart aches at the sight. She enters the cafe and stands in front of the crying girl. She doesn’t even feel the cold anymore.

“I-I don’t know what to do.”

Yves finally removes her hands and looks at Chuu, blinking through the tears. Chuu looks troubled and is thinking of a million ways to wipe away that sad look from her face. But, she’s only human, and she’s not Olivia. If she were, she could have just kissed her tears away. So, she settles for the next best thing.

She kneels in front of her and takes her hand, and Chuu smiles a little, hoping to give a little comfort. Yves cries harder but Chuu can’t help but think that she still takes her breath away. She wraps her arms around her and doesn’t care for her knees that are now scraping the carpet.

Yves clutches on harder. Her tears are wetting the fabric of her uniform, but Chuu doesn’t mind. She hugs her friend tightly and hushes her while running her fingers through her hair.

“It will be okay. Just let it out.”


 

“Olivia Hye,” Chuu says lightly. The customary smile on her face is absent.

“Yes, Chuu?”

“Can we talk?” she asks, eyes imploring.

The younger girl looks surprised and confused at the older girl’s behavior but she nods her head slowly.

“Okay, sure.”

Chuu gently yet firmly grabs her by the shoulder, and they end up in an empty bathroom.

“What do you want to talk about?”

“It’s about Yves.”

“What about her? Yes, we fought the other day. A typical lovers’ spat. Don’t worry. I’ll talk to her when she approaches me.”

Chuu raises an eyebrow at her.

“When she approaches you. Huh?”

“Yes. She overreacted.”

“No, she didn’t.”

Chuu’s voice is shaking. Her wide eyes stare at Olivia directly.

“Listen, Olivia. You better woman up and talk to her first. She’s distraught, and I hate seeing her this way. It may seem like a petty thing to you, but she’s really upset. She thinks you two are over.”

She takes a deep breath, steeling herself.

“You’re lucky to have her. She’s one of a kind. Don’t let Yves go.”

Olivia is quiet for a moment.

“Do you like her?”

“What?”

She didn’t expect that Olivia would ask. Has she been that obvious?

Olivia stares at her directly, unflinching.

“Do you like Yves?

is tight, closed up. Words refuse to come out no matter how hard she tries.

“I knew it,” Olivia quietly chuckles to herself.

She’s already turning her back on Chuu and reaching for the knob of the door. She pauses then.

“Don’t worry, Chuu. I’ll take very good care of Yves.”

She looks over her shoulder to spare Chuu one last glance.

“So, don’t even think of trying to get with her. Her heart already belongs to me.”

Chuu hears the unspoken ‘Not you.’

Finally, the door slams shut with a sense of finality, and she is left all alone.


 

 It’s their anniversary today.

Yves is glad she can get off early from work. She wants to surprise Olivia. It’s what she deserves for loving and caring for her so many years. It’s hard to imagine life without Olivia. She’s gotten so used to having her in her life and knows they would be spending more time together.

She clutches the bouquet of red roses to her chest and smiles to herself. When she opens the door, there’s no familiar voice to welcome her back home.

Yves pauses as she stares at Olivia’s black mobile phone sitting innocently on the living room table. Olivia takes her phone with her everywhere except when she is in the shower and getting dressed.

She pads to their shared bedroom and hears water running.

She’s right, of course.

Yves opens the door. She needs to get changed into something nicer. Oh, how she loves dressing up and lavishing in Olivia’s stuttered compliments and starstruck eyes. She knows just the kind of outfit her love would like to see her in.

She opens the door, and suddenly, she’s frozen.

There are piles of paperwork, wads of money, and sachets filled with crystalline white powder.

She is standing in the doorway, staring at the items that shouldn’t be there in their bedroom or anywhere in their apartment.

Was this it? Is this what Olivia had always been hiding from her? Perhaps, she should have suspected it. Olivia leaving in the middle of the night, hushed phone calls, unexplained amounts of money…

Yves is a fool.

She faintly hears the door of the bathroom open. Olivia is wrapped in a fluffy grey bathrobe. She hasn’t noticed her yet.

“Yves, you’re ba—Oh, .”

Hearing Olivia’s voice sparks something in her, and Yves rushes out of the bedroom, out of their apartment. She doesn’t even notice she was still holding the bouquet of flowers.

Olivia is left alone, tears streaming down her face, frozen and staring at the trail of red rose petals on the floor.