Prologue

Strawberries and Cigarettes

-

Jennie sighed and closed her eyes in delight. Perfect. A cloud of smoke appeared right before her. She stared at the cigarette between her fingers and inhaled. Again. Her frail lungs were getting consumed by the carcinogenic smoke, but she didn't care. She held the smoke in her lungs, ignoring all the warning signs that were plastered around her school, ignoring all the worries and responsibilities, all of the stress. She blew the smoke in the air carefully, she wanted to forget why she came up here. If her father or anyone found out her secret, it would be the end of her.

Jennie glanced at the exit that led to the main building of the school, hoping that no one would come up to the rooftop. Jennie's moment of bliss got disrupted when a certain name came into her mind. Park Chaeyoung. With an effort, she leaned forward and crushed her cigarette with the heel of her boot. She did it in a manner of haste, of anger. 

Park Chaeyoung or known as Roseanne Park or as she'd like to say, was reckless. She tainted everything in her path. Whether it be property, a pretty face, a kind soul, it doesn't matter. She'd find a way. 

Jennie never understood why she did the things she did, but what she did know that Park Chaeyoung was dangerous. She is the human embodiment of fire. Gentle in it's wake, but has the ability to destroy everything you love with a single nip.

Speaking of the devil, Roseanne came through the entrance, with a girl hanging on her arm and a er between her lips. They peeked around to check if the area was vacant. Roseanne furrowed her brows when she saw the raven haired beauty, disappointed that her escapade was getting interrupted. Roseanne turned to the unknown girl and smiled, sickly sweet before saying "Leave, I wouldn't want you to miss your exam Joy." Joy pushed passed Roseanne before rolling her eyes. "Don't act like you actually care about me now. We both know what this friendship is about."

Jennie watched as Joy left the rooftop. Roseanne was now striding towards Jennie. Sheer panick crossed her mind when she realized that her cigarette butts haven't been properly disposed of. Jennie took a deep breath, lightly coughing as fresh air filled her lungs a bright contrast to the deep smoke. 

Roseanne was now in front of Jennie. She swiped her tongue over her strawberry er. The rosy haired girl sent a curious look towards Jennie. "What are you doing here, and why are you skipping class, madamoiselle?" 

"Go back to class, Chaeyoung." Jennie tried her best to remain her composure.

"The name's Roseanne to you." She said with a quirk of the corner of her lip.

Roseanne scanned Jennie and saw cigarette butts at her feet, "Jen, are those yours? I never took you as a smoker." She threw her strawberry er on the floor and crushed it with her heel, similar to the crushing of a used cigarette. 

"The name's Jennie to you. And it's none of your business." 

Roseanne leaned forward down close enough to get a whiff of Jennie's scent. "If you're gonna smoke, get a pack of Malboro's not Newports, you're such a hipster. Hipster. Hipster. Are you Jen The Hipster?" She threw her head back laughing, mocking her.  

"Chaeyoung, go back to class or else. You're so ing childish" Jennie unamused. I need another one after I get done with her.

"Or else what? If I'm not mistaken, you're also skipping class. The difference is that I only skipped class to do recreational activites with my dear friend Joy. You skipped to smoke." Roseanne enclosed the space between them  and trapped Jennie between her arms at the railing. She leaned down and whispered in Jennie's ear. "If I leave now, what makes you so sure that I'm not gonna tell everyone? What's in it for me, Jennie? Are you aware of the consequences or would you rather have me remind you?"

"You're disgusting. I don't know what people see in you." Jennie hated the way she felt shivers crawl up her spine, she hated Roseanne's strawberry fragrance and she hated the way how her name rolled off Roseanne's tongue like velvet. She truly hated it. Hated the way she was trapped in between the person she despised most, all she could feel was the fence digging into her neck as she tried to take a step back.

"Thank you for the kind words miss, you really are as charming as they say you are madamoiselle. Now let's see if you're charming enough to convince your father that you don't smoke." Roseanne wore a smug smile before walking away. 

Fear and irritation arose in Jennie as she watched Chaeyoung slowly pace away, as if she was taunting her. A predator circling it's prey. Her reputation and life would be over if this dirty little secret came about. .

Jennie had to choose between hurting her pride or facing the consequences. 

"Chaeyoung wait."

And she chose the latter.