holding onto you

holding on to you
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Are you ready?” 

Sunggyu is fixing his gaze on the boy before him, threatening him with his eyes, even if they were too small. People used to make fun of him for that, but no one dared to do it now, too scared to die as soon as the words would be out.
Nevertheless, the boy in front of him is not scared, not even a slightly bit- or he’s very good at hiding it; either way, Sunggyu thought it was cute. 

Their swords collide together several times before Sunggyu could really get near the boy, cornering him against a tree and finally teasing the younger boy with a grin. The boy was good, Sunggyu had to admit, but he was far better. 

The boy pushes him aside with a groan and Sunggyu lets him, interested to see what was he going to do next. The other’s sword dances in the air before trying to hit Sunggyu’s legs, in which he jumps, not losing his smile. 

The afternoon is still young, with the sun at its best moment lighting up the whole forest and Sunggyu, truthfully, would be taking his nap by now, but he thought that showing this boy a lesson would be far more better than that. This boy, whose name Sunggyu didn’t really remember, wanted to defeat him at least once, and Sunggyu thought that was brave of him; coming up to him and challenging on a sword fight. 

But fifteen minutes into the fight and Sunggyu now was getting annoyed, spotting and expecting the younger’s movements, seeing that he didn’t have much of techniques yet. Sunggyu strongly collides his sword with his and the boy frowns at the touch, slightly getting pushed and losing balance.

This has been the third time Sunggyu has defeated him, but the younger was breathlessly saying again, sir  as soon as Sunggyu tried to sheathe his sword. 

“Sir” Sunggyu hears a voice from behind his back, but he’s too engrossed on finishing up this kid. 

He aims from the air at the boy in a moment where he was catching his breath, and even though the younger was able to defend himself from the attack, he was already feeling fatigued, for which he ended up with his knees against the mud. Sunggyu stares at him with his sword slightly poking the younger’s nose and letting a drop of blood falling down. 

Sunggyu walks back, finally sheathing his sword and giving a hand to the younger. The latter is about to reject it, still adsorbed on his desperation to defeat him. 

“Just take it, Sungyeol” Howon says, getting slightly annoyed. 

“You were really good” Sunggyu compliments him, brushing off the pieces of dirty behind his clothes, where his back has once landed during the fight. 

“Not enough, sir” Sungyeol mutters under his breath. He really wanted this, defeat Sunggyu and get the respect he thought he deserved. 

“Do you know why I won?” Sunggyu asks as the three knights walk outside the forest and into the vast green grass towards the castle. Sungyeol shakes his head, fixing his eyes on where his feet get lost under the long grass. “You were thinking too much on what you were about to do, it wasn’t hard to read your face, boy.” Sungyeol scoffs, cleaning the drops of sweat going down his cheek. “Live the moment while you fight; let your sword speak on its own.” 

He looks at Sunggyu from the corner of his eye, trying to admire the older without being too obvious. 

There was a reason why Sunggyu was a knight of the royal family, and it wasn’t because of his inspirational speeches. Everyone admired or feared him (or both at the same time) for the way he handled his sword on combat, reading his opponent and finishing up most fights in mere minutes.

He had gone to war once or twice before the king had caught his talent and requested him to be at all times with his second born son. This was far better than a regular knight, as he had to do less work and more acts of presence on the prince’s right side with Howon on the opposite side.

“A

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter